What tricks do you use to remember all of your passwords and PINs?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 9 years ago

What tricks do you use to remember all of your passwords and PINs?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

How I remember my passwords and pins is a secret for a reason.

3. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 9 years ago

I simply employ the most under-rated tactic, that would indeed be,
    writing them down to remind my significantly limited memory to jog.

4. Craig Suits profile image64
    Craig Suitsposted 9 years ago

I'd rather have hairy warts on my nose than passwords. What a pain in the ass over the years. I have four children and I rely on other people to remind me when their birthdays are.
    One trick I tried a few years ago was to use all my old girlfriends names. Never forget them right? UGH, I didn't realize how many there was, I'm 73 now.
    These days most of the web sites demand an encrypted sign on the Pentagon would be proud to use. Who the hell is going to spend all day hacking into my Facebook account. Bring it on, that's what social media is all about anyway.
    Anyway, I have a new trick that's not 100% but it gets you started remembering your sign on ID's. I simply use the name of the web site upfront and then add a few digits or so to satisfy their demands. i.e., My Facebook sign would begin with "facebook" followed by my name, rank and serial number or what ever else these morons require just so I can send pictures to more morons.
    I can't wait till they put a fingerprint reader on the things. My life would be a damn sight easier...

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A also await fingerprint sign-ins. Your pw suggestion is similar to Kim Komando's suggestion to use four easy-to-remember digits followed by the initials or first syllable of a website name: 1937Face, 1937Yah, etc.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

As each site comes up, my 'instincts' kick in and I automatically type it in. It just takes practice and memorization.

6. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

If you are remembering passwords at all, then you are probably making a mistake. Easy to to remember, generally means easier to hack. That doesn't mean you will be hacked, but that won't be for having good security, it will just be luck, and luck is a poor security strategy.

A good password strategy should include having strong passwords, having different passwords for all sites, and changing them frequently. Strong passwords should include lower case letters, upper case letters, symbols, and numbers, be long, and not include recognizable words or number sequences.

For most people, memory isn't going to be good enough to implement such a strategy. My recommendation is a good password manager. With a password manager, you can generate long random passwords, and have the password manager log-on to sites for you. It can also remind you to change passwords regularly and some will test your passwords to see how strong they are. All you have to remember is one master password to get into the manager.

People also shouldn't be so flippant about 'unimportant' sites such as Facebook or other social media. Many people do not realize how much information can be found out about a person from something like Facebook. Even with out hacking into it, you can often find out people's friends and family members, sometimes where they live, in general, or even specifically. If a hacker gained access to someone's Facebook, then they can get emails and possibly phone numbers or addresses, and that information would grant a would-be hacker the ability to do some further damage.

All passwords should be strong. One weak password is like having a super security system on your house but always leaving the backdoor open.

At the very least, everyone should include a number, symbol, uppercase letter sequence in their passwords. Even if it is the same sequence, it will make simple brute force techniques much less likely to succeed. So for example if you are using "moondust" as your password, convert it to "moon4$Dust" and the time to hack it goes from 2 minutes to 4 hours. You can check password hack times here (but don't check an actual password, check one with a similar pattern): http://blog.kaspersky.com/password-check/

Comparatively, a random 10 character sequence which includes numbers, lower-case and upper-case letters, and symbols will take 68 years.

7. kevinfream profile image69
    kevinfreamposted 9 years ago

I generally agree with Junkseller with the exception of not using a password manager.

If you turn on two factor authentication for most services, a pin number will be texted to you for entry after the password. Then you can have somewhat easier passwords to remember.

8. ccdursina profile image67
    ccdursinaposted 9 years ago

it's about strategy or going to have a list when you have too many...

9. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

I write them down in a small notebook but I use my own dialect which no one will know. I mix and match numbers and letters but they would be written in my own dialect which no one would be able to read unless they know my own dialect. I live in England but everyone uses the English language, no one will know mine.

10. sweetpikez profile image67
    sweetpikezposted 9 years ago

People nowadays are very busy. Sometimes we tend to forget some things. Remember when you were rushing things in an overcrowded shopping mall then suddenly, the machine said "wrong pin". You tried another card but the message was the same. For the reason of remembering,  you could have the same security passwords and pins. Just be careful of the character combination and sharing your personal information.

11. profile image57
    wastrelposted 9 years ago

I gave up on trying to REMEMBER all of them some time ago. Now I just carry a small  $1 notebook in which all my log-ins written down.

If you MUST remember a good tactic is to substitute all vowels and the letter "s" with special characters  : L@Ur@ $chn3!d3r

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)