Would you admit you were wrong if it meant losing face (respect)?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Link10103 profile image60
    Link10103posted 9 years ago

Would you admit you were wrong if it meant losing face (respect)?

Hypothetical time.
    Say you made the statement "Johnny stole my apple". To back that up, you say there were several people who witnessed Johhny stealing your apple. Now someone comes along and asks you for the names of the witnesses. You do not provide the names after repeatedly stating that they were there and saw the whole thing. Then someone else comes and gives you video evidence that shows Johhny eating an orange at the time of the supposed apple theft. Do you admit you were wrong? Or avoid answering queries and leave the situation? Which leaves you with more respect in the end?

2. poppyr profile image92
    poppyrposted 9 years ago

I think you lose more respect if you continue to lie when you're obviously wrong.  You look like an idiot if you stand there saying "nope Johnny definitely stole the apple" when there's video evidence that you're mistaken.  If you admit you're wrong youre actually more likely for people to forgive you and less likely to 'lose face'.  Just my opinion though.

Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It shows that you are an adult and can take responsibility for your actions. I am surprised there are people x amount of years my senior who still cant manage to do that.

3. CWanamaker profile image94
    CWanamakerposted 9 years ago

I would admit that I was wrong. This would probably earn you  more respect in the long run.  I don't like it when people keep trying to  say they are right when then clearly aren't.  It makes them look arrogant and like a fool.  Just admit when you're wrong - it will have the best possible outcome in the long run.

Agreed. Usually at that point, the person gets backed into a corner and starts hurling insults, which doesnt do well for them in any scenario

2. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Or you're completely rude to them and they become defensive about it.

3. Link10103 profile image60

I find it odd then that the insults start flying after i point out the person in question is being whatever they are being, especially when i quote or point out an instance that proves it.
      But Im sure thats just the hateful child in me though, right?

4. profile image0

Right.

4. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 9 years ago

I'd admit I was wrong and apologise for my mistake.

I think in the face of irrefutable evidence such as actual proof like videos, a written statement where the person has contradicted themselves etc one will lose a lot if not all respect if one continues to carry on in their statement of truth or correctness.

I've had this recently and have notice my respect for the persons involved has decreased in proportion to how long they continue to go on despite contrary evidence of the things they are saying.
    IRL even!

The blatant disregard of self inspection baffles me at times. Its one thing if the problem is only between 2 people, but if more than one person is pointing something out, you would think the guilty party would stop and think for a second.

2. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Baffles me also. You'd think they would, and some do, but some don't! It's particularly odd when it's obvious to everyone but the person saying it. Oh well, I have better things to do with my time than worry about them now so I've given up.

5. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years ago

I think you should admit you were wrong, but you'd better come up with a pretty good explanation for lying in the first place!

It would have to be the biggest sob story to make any kind of sense to me, since usually at that point insults start flying about willy nilly.

6. danicole profile image68
    danicoleposted 9 years ago

Your hypothetical question is more about lying and jumping to conclusions than anything else. Personally I don't like to lie or jump to conclusions, so me in situation like the one described above is VERY unlikely. Even so, I would admit I was wrong because to me respect doesn't matter (especially if you are arguing with that person/they already lost respect for you). Its embarrassing and you feel stupid but its the right thing to do. You can't leave a situation like that because you will lose face and won't have a chance to get it back. If you admit you were wrong and apologize there is chance that the person may forgive you and you actually gain respect (gain face) from it.
    Admitting you're wrong doesn't have to be a bad thing. Its a human thing. Admitting you're wrong is HARD BUT it is also VERY respectable (in my opinion). It shows you are not hung up on your ego, and that you are reasonable and decent! More people need to do this!

Indeed they do. Sadly I've run into a few people on this site who edit their comments (in the forums) or delete conversations in the Q&A to avoid looking like idiots themselves or in an attempt to make someone look bad. Started taking screenshots

2. profile image0

Why?  What are you planning to do with those screenshots?  Have you made files on different people?

Nothing really, unless said person continually lies about things.
      I wont be making the same mistake i made with you and being nice when lies and insults are flying around. Helps to reference things better as well

4. danicole profile image68
      danicoleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I remember an experience a while back! I commented on a hub, disagreeing respectfully. The author deleted most of my comments and edited her hub to take out all the parts I disagreed with/made her look bad. Talk about pride. She lost face in my book!

5. Link10103 profile image60

Just had that happen 2 days ago. Someone called me an idiot after i called him out on something and said he would leave the comments up for people to see that i was.
      Oddly enough, he deleted the comments an hour or so later.

7. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

I always have more respect for someone if they admit they screwed up and apologize. I think it's a great trait and one that unfortunately a lot of people don't possess. I think being able to reflect and see that you were wrong will only make you smarter. Running away doesn't resolve anything and reflects poorly on the person doing the running.

So yes, I will always try to see when I'm wrong and apologize if I made a misleading statement.

I have had a few people on here accuse me of being a hypocrite. Aside from it being a "Oh I stink? Well you stink more!" kind of thing on their end, I asked them to point out where so we could address it.
      Never get a response aside from more insults

2. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, there are certainly a lot of stubborn ones around here. But that's all I'll say about that since I've already lost my posting privileges in the forums. wink

You too? It seems HP doesnt actually look into reports very well then...

4. profile image0

Link, take some responsibility for your actions, please!

Care to explain lybrah?

6. profile image0

All I'm saying is that some times people are oblivious to how arrogant and condescending they are.  You are not exactly what I'd call polite, or objective. You are constantly belittling others and talking down to them.

7. Link10103 profile image60

And i have asked you in the past to point out where i did so and it was completely unwarranted, rather than me getting insulted first.
      You have yet to do so, instead you agree with the person who is against me simply because its me. Bravo

8. Hendrika profile image68
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

I admit it if I was wrong immediately, to save face is less important

9. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 9 years ago

I would admit I was wrong and apologize.  I would explain why I thought that Johnny ate the apple.  Though I probably would never have accused him in the first place, unless it was an honest mistake.

Really? You were pretty quick to jump the gun in accusing me of making a guest account just to insult you a few weeks back. Hardly doubt that was an honest mistake, rather you just being biased because it was me.

2. profile image0

Link, the reasons I had to accuse you were good ones. You had created other accounts on Bubblews in order to torment me.  I really did think that was you.

Torment? What planet do you live on? Please explain how i tormented you with an account that was deleted within an hour due to their IP address blocker.

4. profile image0

Um, okay, within that hour, you blew up my comment box with angry posts.  Luckily Bubblews wasn't having any of that.  You then tried to create another account and then another when that was deleted.

Mmm, and was this before or after you started gloating at how you got my main account with 200 posts deleted, all because i didnt report you for defaming me right before.
      Those silly details you keep forgetting to mention are annoying arent they?

6. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm the same thing he accused me of. It seems he is paranoid of people doing things he has done in the past. WOW!

7. profile image0

JT you don't know the half of it--this is the tip of the iceberg in regards to our friend.

8. profile image0

He has certainly continued his skills on this site!

9. profile image0

LOL

10. profile image0

smile

11. jlpark profile image79

Guys - all three of u - do you all realise how childish this sounds? You are all as bad as each other. - baiting, responding, baiting another. Pleas just sort it out, or at least take it away from HP.

12. Link10103 profile image60

I agree. Topic change.

Lybrah, anything on those satanic baby rituals yet? Its going on like 3 weeks now.

JT...well i dont know really. Its hard to discuss things with you when you lie and delete stuff. Favorite color?

13. jlpark profile image79

smh...

14. profile image0

I think we know what the problem is here. Someone who has a huge ego. One that is so big he feels the need to stalk someone on another social site and follows her to another one? SMH

15. Link10103 profile image60

So no topic change? I did try JL.

JT did you know I made a Hub Pages account when I was still with Bubblews and it stayed inactive for 2 or 3 months? Did you also know I asked Lybrah to stop talking to me months ago, to which she agreed and reneged?

16. profile image0

Link, do you remember all those posts your wrote about me, about things I said...BEFORE I defamed you?  How YOU started this whole thing?

17. Link10103 profile image60

What were those posts about Lybrah? Did they have anything to do with your personality, writing ability, or insulting your audience?
      Or did it have to do with the gaps in logic in your belief that you were using to condemn and insult people?

18. profile image0

Link, I am sorry about writing that post, but you did deserve it.  You are the one who felt it was your job to counter my "illogic" and thus enraged me.

19. Link10103 profile image60

Progress.

I said, several times,  that just because I find your reasons for belief to be illogical that it had nothing to do with you as a person. Kinda why I asked you plenty of questions, and look what it led to. Both our accounts gone.

20. profile image0

Link, you went about it the wrong way...that is all I can say.

21. Link10103 profile image60

That would be more believable, if I wasn't the only person you disagreed with, mocked, and insulted due to your faith.
      But I feel that is enough for now.

22. profile image0

Link.... you really need to get a grip on your emotions. They seem to be getting the better of you.

23. Austinstar profile image83
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And the winner is ... Jag! Those 2 have had their accounts deleted here at HP! Thank you for standing up to their evil ways. I was so tired of them. Now one of them is back with a new account that sounds like my account! Stargrl - right!

10. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

More often than not under this scenario I probably would not make a big deal out of it. In fact I would most likely make a mental note not to leave my apples out when Johnny was around. smile
    I've never been one to openly jump to conclusions or make accusations without solid proof.
    If it's just a "hunch" on my part I'd keep it to myself.
    However I imagine if I did accuse someone of doing something they did not do I would feel guilty for continuing to insist they did something which I knew they did not. I rather be known as someone who owns up to their mistakes than to be known as a liar.

You are a better person than most

11. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

I would definitely admit I was wrong and be furious at the people who called Johnny out. There is never a reason just to be a jerk just for the sake of it. In fact I may not say nothing at all. Johnny may have been starved and needed that apple more than I.

This would be a great answer...if you hadnt done the complete opposite of this a few days ago.

But if we just arent being honest anymore...good response.

2. profile image0

Thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)