Are you a writer who reads or a writer who doesn't read?

Jump to Last Post 51-63 of 63 discussions (150 posts)
  1. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

I'm a writer who reads. I love reading and I can't imagine living without reading. It's a must for me.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thelma, Thanks for the comments from such a world traveler and a person of ecclectic interests as yourself.  Looking forward to your hubs.

2. Meggan Dunn profile image61
    Meggan Dunnposted 9 years ago

I have to say I am a writer that reads. In elementary when I was told to write my first story using the spelling words something clicked in my brain. I knew at that moment I wanted to write. I was a shy kid and writing allowed me to express myself, but reading allowed me to lose myself in another world and allowed my writing to grow.

Megan, I LOVE hearing about the moment you knew you wanted to write.  I think I'm going to pose that as a question if it's ok with you.  I'd also like to use your quote on our educational website.  May I?  Our teacher-visitors will love it!

2. Meggan Dunn profile image61
      Meggan Dunnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would be honored. Thank you.

3. Carol Reed profile image60
    Carol Reedposted 9 years ago

Excellent question! In the past 6 years, give or take a few years, I had been a very active participate in the Marion County Writers Workshop, where a few writers stressed the importance of reading, reading, reading. I may have heard this a few times when I attended some of the Summer University of Iowa Writer's Workshops. However, I don't have the time to read novel after novel. Why should I read a novel that would take me a month, if I'm lucky to finish it in that time frame; when I can watch a movie that takes me two hours to watch? I do suffer from Narcolepsy. I probably had this when I was growing up and didn't know why I couldn't read without falling asleep. I do enjoy reading a book that draws me in, paints the settings for me and makes me wish I didn't have to leave at the end. But I enjoy writing more than reading. I would say, I'm not an avid reader because I wouldn't get anything else done. Thanks to medication, my Narcolepsy doesn't stand in my way when I want to read.  Not everyone learns the same way; some learn better when they are reading, others learn from listening and watching. The answer to your question, has "reading improved my writing," it hasn't hurt it.  What has improved my writing, is all of the rewriting.

Carol Reed, EXACTLY my experience. I actually use reading to put myself to sleep! I download Kindle books on my smart phone and if I can't sleep, I start reading. One page later,  I'm out!  I ALSO feel that if I read, I'd never get anything written!

4. Pro Shell profile image63
    Pro Shellposted 9 years ago

I'm mostly a reader that occasionally writes.

Thanks for weighing in, ProShell

5. marieryan profile image73
    marieryanposted 9 years ago

The problem with the wonderful world of reading is that it takes so much time, which I always feel I don't have too much of! I would love to be an avid reader, just like so many of those who have commented on this question.
    I just don't know how these fellow hubbers find the time to both write extensively and also read so avidly. I have several books 'on the go' at the moment (reading them, I mean, not writing them!) but since I started concentrating on writing more, I realise I am using my reading-time to do my writing.
    You are obviously functioning perfectly well without being an avid reader! Congratulations Billie. I understand completely that you can manage your literary fix through auditory means.
    Any suggestions as to how I can join the realms of the avid readers and prolific writers?

Marieryan, Thank you so much !  I like your style smile   I too am puzzled about how prolific writers can be avid readers.  Maybe they don't sleep!  I know they must read MUCH faster than I ever was able to do. Maybe there's a hub on speed reading smile

6. profile image0
    Ethan Digby-Newposted 9 years ago

As great people have said before me, "a writer who does not read cannot call themselves a writer."  I have to read, it's an urge that I hold deep within.  If I don't feel the paper between my fingers, or the voices of characters in my mind, then I am not whole.  If I did not read, then I fear my writing would plummet in creativeness and readability.  I was able to scrape by without reading for a long time by getting my ideas from movies and real people.  But the world cannot satisfy the extent to which are thoughts can go, therefore I had to look at fiction as an escape.  So am I reader?  I have to be, otherwise I would fear how terrible my writing would become.  I understand not everyone needs to read, but everyone who wants to be somewhat of a successful writer needs to read at least something.  Anyone on this forum reads.  You don't have to read novels to be a reader.  If you read forums then you are a reader.  I never force myself to read, which is why I will eternally find happiness in words.  Don't read things you dislike, but instead find things that you enjoy and that pique your interest.

Ethan Digby-New, Thank you for sharing and describing your great love for reading and how it affects your writing. Creativity breeds creativity it seems.

7. Nidal Chaudhry profile image59
    Nidal Chaudhryposted 9 years ago

Im a person who loves writing but unfortunately, i see any point in reading. My parents don't like that i dont read.

Nidal Chaudhry, I understand. You ARE reading if you're writing (tee hee)  Perhaps your parents love creative writing and wish to share that love of reading with you. I don't read for pleasure much and I've written a children's book,short stories...

8. seraphic profile image67
    seraphicposted 9 years ago

I am a reader! My tastes for reading have evolved over time... Currently my passion is reading articles on sciences and experiments, looking deep into the future as to what will be here when I am long gone.

Reading feeds the imagination and enhances creativity.

Very cool, Seraphic.   You might like my short story "Alone".  I wrote it way back in the 90s when it seemed "science-ficition-y"  When I read it now, it seems not quite so imaginary smile  Thanks for your comment.

9. profile image0
    greeneyedblondieposted 9 years ago

I hate reading, so I don't do it that often. It takes me forever to find something "good" to read.

Greeneyedblondie, I read your hub titles-TOTALLY, interesting to me.  72 HUBS in 11 months while doing classwork?  No wonder you don't read often, you're producing, producing! Can't wait to read your tips on character development and ALL your topics!

10. Team Wiseman profile image81
    Team Wisemanposted 9 years ago

We are writers who reads, thumbs up, Shares on all social sites and enjoys it. We have learned by being active withinin Hubpages can also be very rewarding!

Thanks Teamwiseman for your comments.  You're right, being active here is very rewarding.  Cheers, Billie

11. profile image54
    rezasrposted 9 years ago

I am a writer who reads.without reading how would i know the different aspects of any topic?so i have to research and gather information first by reading then i can think about writing.

Rezasr, True.  I'm beginning to think I didn't refine this question enough.  I think I meant are you a writer of fiction who is an avid reader of fiction?  Perhaps this question is about that!  I didn't think so when I wrote it, but now I do. Thanks!

12. youmeget profile image62
    youmegetposted 9 years ago

My editor told me to start reading but instead I watched movies. Guess what, I grabbed what she was trying to teach me because they were there in the movies and I could feel it in my bones.  If this is what works for you, why not?

Youmeget, That's the way I feel (most of the time). I do remember, though, reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" and watching the movie.  It was quite different.  I loved the times in school when both were required and we had to write about the difference!

13. Kristen Howe profile image90
    Kristen Howeposted 9 years ago

I'm a writer. Writers do read and write in the same genre. That's how we get better and hone our craft.  I write and read.  It have helped me get better and improve my earlier and later works in the future.

Kristen, Thanks for your comment.  Writing and reading in the same genre seems to be the key, apparently.  Cheers, Billie

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)