What makes some people INTENTIONALLY want to be socioeconomically poor/ impoveri

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

What makes some people INTENTIONALLY want to be socioeconomically poor/ impoverished &  even further

ELECTING to have children in such conditions, knowing that such children will be at a SEVERE disadvantage physically, mentally, academically/educationally, & psychologically?  What makes some people rationalize, even justify, being socioeconomically poor/impoverished when it is a societal aberration? What are such people "thinking" really?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12174779_f260.jpg

2. crackerjack9 profile image76
    crackerjack9posted 9 years ago

Maybe they consider themselves rich in other ways. They may see it as living simple, content lives and not consider themselves poor at all. Really, who's poorer: the rich man who's miserable or the "poor' man who's happy and grateful for what he's got?

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Living simply DOESN'T equate to being socioeconomically poor.There are socioeconomically affluent people who CHOOSE to have a minimalist lifestyle.  NO ONE is happy being socioeconomically poor,struggling from day to day, living from hand to mouth.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But, a few individuals have angrily decided to "make" everyone else take care of them, hence the intentional poverty. It is malicious - like the attorney I knew that stayed poor to avoid child support, paying other bills, etc. No, he wasn't happy.

3. gmwilliams profile image84

Exactly, there are people who want to be poor because they just do not want to make the necessary effort to become socioeconomically successful.  They DON'T want the responsibility that it entails to be successful.  Sad, really.

3. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

You'd think commonsense would dictate the less mouths one has the feed the more money they'd have to live in a better area.
    Even if a person made minimum wage and had no children they could get a roommate and live a higher standard of living!
    Anyone who would deliberately have children in a drug and gang infested neighborhood is essentially committing child abuse.
    However I've come to realize there are many people born into impoverished and violent areas who never want to "stray" away too far from whence they came. I personally know of a woman making over $160k in salary per year who insists upon living on the South Side of Chicago!
    She could afford to live in an upscale suburban neighborhood with next to no crime rate instead of living in area where many people have bars on the windows. Her only daughter is grown and has little to do with her and this woman is not married at this time. She is free to live anywhere she wants!
    You also hear of multi-millionaire rappers getting caught up in mess in bad neighborhoods with (old) friends and I wonder why they're not spending (all their time) in Manhattan, Beverly Hills, Malibu, or The Hamptons!
    I suspect some people are "uncomfortable" cutting loose baggage mentally and physically. Others are weary of being told "you forgot where you came from." Minorities who are successful are made to feel "obligated" to their race and place of birth. I bet no one has ever asked Tom Cruise:
    "What have you done for (your) people lately?
    He's allowed to be independent of skin color.
    Some of these poverty ridden choices are made by people  in order to "keep it real". If they're hanging out with the wrong people having an education and speaking correctly they may be accused of "sounding white". Therefore some intelligent people choose to "dumb it down" rather than move on.
    Being "accepted" is more important to them than charting a new course.

EXACTLY, some people's viewpoints are simply askewed.They have an inverse psychological mindset,consciousness & purview.One would say that their viewpoint is totally a Luciferian inference where the aberrant & pathological are considered to b

4. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12051444_f260.jpg

There are people who operate on inverse logic.  There are those who see being socioeconomically poor, even socioeconomic impoverishment as quite normative.  They contend that there is nothing wrong with being poor/impoverished although many psychological, sociological, & educational research & studies have conclusively proven otherwise.  One would say that these people have a Luciferian inference i.e. to them, aberrant, negative, &/or pathological situations & circumstances are quite good.

I digress.  It is irresponsible, even evil, for people to have children, knowing well that they will be unable to provide their children with the opportunities necessary for them to develop all their human potential.  Studies have shown that children born in poverty have a distinct disadvantage emotionally, physically(poor nutrition/medical care), mentally/academically/ educationally, & psychologically.  However, such parents vehemently contend that "there is nothing wrong with being poor" as if being poor is considered a positive societal attribute.  They are of the school of so what they are poor, they are going to have children anyway no caring about their children's well being in the least.  I find it callous that people would have such a lackadaisical attitude.

5. Cynthia Hoover profile image91
    Cynthia Hooverposted 9 years ago

I have to say that I find this a little odd, but okay. Not everyone decides to be poor or impoverished. You are trying to lump multiple scenarios into one topic. It just is not that simple. Sure there are people that do exactly what you are saying. Yet there are others, through no fault of their own that end up in these situations. It helps to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. I have been starving and homeless before so I feel I really have a good view point. I have also had a great paying job before and lived very comfortably.

There are so many unforeseen events than can cause one to live in poverty and not all birth control is effective. So would you suggest not having intercourse just in case a birth control fails? Sounds a little absurd put that way.

I will agree that it is odd for those with the means to leave a gang infested impoverished area to stay in those conditions. I am unsure of what the logic could be behind it. Perhaps an emotional attachment or the want to improve the area.

The saddest part of all is the lack of community these days. I remember when I was young we would help others all the time. Take them dinner, buy shoes or whatever they may need in hard times. People just do not care any more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)