How do you normally utilize the opportunity of having moments of solitude and si

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

How do you normally utilize the opportunity of having moments of solitude and silence?

Please share with us the benefits you feel this brings you in terms of your overall well being.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9171439_f260.jpg

2. chuckandus6 profile image77
    chuckandus6posted 8 years ago

I love reading, fishing, or relaxing in the summer sun.

fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Terrific, Nicole......Simple, relaxing and fun!  It all sounds wonderful to me.  Peace, Paula

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

When I go within the silence of solitude,  listen to the voice of my soul and follow my heart. I usually pray for guidance from God or the Mother Goddess. I get in touch with the goddess within me - my Self. Sometimes, I just float in the silence and things I need to know will come to me.

Thank you, Paula. I needed your question tonight to help me with an issue I am facing that is bringing me down. Thank you.

Phyllis.You ARE a woman of goodness and deserve inner peace.  It's nice to know that you use quiet times to contemplate, pray and be "still."  This is far more important to us~daily~ than most individuals realize.  Wishing you all wonderful days,.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you kindly, Paula. You have a good heart.

4. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

Solitude allows me time when I can be awake but rest. I can rest my mind with thoughts that don't have to do with catering to other people. I don't have to be constantly thinking about how I need to react to people around me and I don't need to be alert. Since I don't need to be alert, I can take pain medication if I'm in pain and be comfortable. I can lie down if I need to.

Solitude also allows me time to compose words, to design things, to write, to draw, to paint, to sculpt, and to enjoy recreational math or reading.

Your use of quiet time is so beautifully "creative," Klylyssa.  I commend you for using these special moments in such an uplifting way.  You treat yourself kindly and we SHOULD!  Peace, Paula

5. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 8 years ago

Paula, I answered this question, then it vanished, so if you get two answers, that is the reason...it is totally gone at this moment.
    Solitude is so wonderful.  It begins with my early morning walk around 6:45 a.m...then when I return I immediately sit at the dining room table with my coffee.  All is quiet and I am able to read, write a few pages of my book, and journal.  This is a great way to begin a new day.
    IF I do not do this first thing, my routine duties, errands, laundry, always prevent me from getting to it later.  The quiet is gone (example: lawn mowers) and I DO feel a difference as the day wears on.
    Also, before I get out of bed each morning I have a prayer list of people that I keep under my pillow.  I go through this list naming each person one by one to make sure they have been presented to God.  Many have been answered!
    Thank you for this beautiful question.  Blessings, Sparklea smile

Sounds perfect Sparlea!  Good for you that you use such times for things that truly matter and prepare yourself for the day.  Pls add me to your prayer list dear and I'll do the same...Peace, Paula

2. Sparklea profile image60
      Sparkleaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

OH I CERTAINLY WILL ADD YOU TO MY PRAYER LIST!  I ALSO HAVE A 'RED SEA' LIST FOR MORE URGENT PRAYERS (FOR PARTING OF RED SEA...PRAYERS THAT LOOK IMPOSSIBLE AT THE TIME).  PEOPLE SOMETIMES ASK ME TO ADD THEM TO MY RED SEA LIST!  GOD BLESS SPARKLEA

6. tsmog profile image86
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

Hello Paula. Great question causing my mind to wander. Thank You! :-)

I am not sure I can answer the first question or not. For myself of least 'the opportunity of a moment of solitude and silence' is when I allow a process I refer to as 'drain my brain' to occur. I have no expectations while not seeking any results. I just 'drain my brain' seeking emptiness kinda'. Mindfulness techniques and meditation practices help me.

Of essence is there is not any utilization of that moment whatever length of time that moment is until after that event has occurred. For utilization to occur would for me of least mean having a sense of intent with purpose before having that moment of solitude and silence. Yet, that moment of solitude and silence does not have focus on the predetermined intent and purpose as it is a 'moment of solitude and silence'. Kinda' a Catch 22 thingy :-)

One possible benefit is that allows for the mind to be filled again. Another benefit is how fast it fills again and what fills it while also discovering inspiration along the way. Keeping focus of that inspiration is key. Next is developing motivation to follow that inspiration. Alas, I may seem to be wandering.

Regarding well being is firstly that I recognize it as 'wellbeing' rather than two words. Yes, HP puts a red squiggly line beneath that, yet that is how I choose to view the concept you inquire of said with respect. I say that from a personal perspective of it being the synergy of 'wellness' with 'being'.

Okay . . . the state of 'wellbeing' is the synergy of the state of wellness and the state of being. An important benefit of a moment(s) of solitude and silence is discovery of 'self' - being. I have a definition for that, however most will have their own, yet many will agree to sets and subsets of truths for that offering objectivity.

Now, one may assess their state of wellness (A suggestion is seek the Six Dimensions of Wellness presented by the National Wellness Institute). Next, with realization is discovery of 'self' within a state of wellness resides within an environment. For instance HP is an environment. There then is acceptance.

That is followed by actions seeking the original purposeful intent before the moment of solitude and silence. Another additional benefit is through the process discovery occurs offering 'new' knowledge of both the state of wellbeing and with the environment

Eureka! said with a giggle + giggle and a :-) Alas, a vision and hope are more benefits.

Such a fascinating & generous comment.  Thank you.  I see you take this seriously and I commend you for it.  These things ARE important to us.  Wishing you Peace, Paula

2. tsmog profile image86
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Paula :-)  I have been and am studying that concept - wellbeing as a synergistic form of wellness and being for a couple years now. I am currently on a break from that seeking solitude and silence :-) Soon, will be beginning again.

7. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12370964_f260.jpg

I learned the Carmelite way; a way of embracing solitude and becoming "closer" to God by listening and being "still." If one simply walks (I walk with my Belgian Malinois) and meditates about your environment and situation I discovered that one will eventually be given insight/clarity to anything being contemplated. This develops a peacefulness around me, I say around me because it is within me and also projects outwardly. I have found that it has indeed led me closer to God. Now I must confess I would have never discovered this if I had not been comatose. After my comatose experience I discovered this way and I try revisit it every 3 or 4 days by hiking with Molly on a forested trail in our hood.
    I honestly love this peacefulness, clarity of mind and if you will, being in communion with God.

John..These surely are moments that create our deepest and most profound contemplation. There's a gorgeous Seminary here on the lake & as U drive down the long road to it, there's a stream of signs w/ 1 word to each: Be~Stll~&~know~That~I~ Am

2. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 8 years agoin reply to this

indeed such a profound quote; "Be still and know I am."

3. fpherj48 profile image61

The last word didn't make it since I obviously went beyond the word count!  The last word is GOD...."and know that I am God."  Thanks John.

4. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Understood...

8. Kristen Howe profile image91
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

I just find a perfect place to meditate or to think, when I block sounds out.  When the timing's right, that's when I listen to silence. I feel peaceful and calm without stress or worries.

Kristen...This is good to hear. It's all we really need to meditate deeply. So many think that "meditation" is difficult & complex.  Obviously, you know better!  Peace, Paula

9. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 8 years ago

Working on the road, I have a lot of solitude and silence.  I usually grab the laptop and start writing if it's a weekday.  On weekends, I grab the kayak and head out to a lake or river with my camping gear.

Two very comforting and relaxing things to utilize these special times, Cam......writing and interacting in Nature with Nature. Wonderful!   Peace, Paula

10. colorfulone profile image79
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I am a lover of solitude and silence. I use those times #1 for communing with the Three In One and for praying for others.

I am a lover of nature and all the wildlife around me and spend a great deal of time being one with my surroundings.

I have creative talents and like to have solitude and silence when I create. Most of the time is spent communing with God. Or, if I am creating something for someone, I am praying for them as I craft.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)