Do you think that there's something to the greenhouse effect and global warming?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. TheHoleStory profile image69
    TheHoleStoryposted 8 years ago

Do you think that there's something to the greenhouse effect and global warming?

The main reason I'm asking this question is down in the South we normally start wearing winter coats in the month of September, and we stop wearing our coats sometime in the month of April. However this past year we didn't start wearing our winter coats until the month of October, and we were still wearing our winter coats in the month of May. It looks like all of a sudden this year weather changes were somehow effected, and the seasons of the year shifted up one whole month.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12391618_f260.jpg

2. Akriti Mattu profile image60
    Akriti Mattuposted 8 years ago

Absolutely there is. Green House effect is real.In fact it was always there.However in the recent years, the carbon emissions from across the planet have increased.That is why global warming is now effecting everybody. Also it is leading to more natural calamities especially floods and droughts. If we still don't take precautions to cut our emissions, it will literally lead to a catastrophe. On an individual level, we should contribute by reducing our carbon footprints.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image68
      Lady Guinevereposted 8 years agoin reply to this

umm in the 1970's carbon emmisdions came under great scrutiny and factories and cars have changed drastically to makie the air much better.  There are domes...cities that are under these domes, but that does not mean the whole globe is under 1.

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

I am no expert by any means. That said I would think there is truth to it as some build 'Green Houses' for growing plants, which in my view is essentially the same principal. Although there are seemingly immense weather changes and yes I do recognize them being in Southern California, I ponder cycles. Again not being well read on the subject I just seem to ponder if we are in some cycle and it seems more apparent as we are actually living in it.Perhaps there is a significant 'hurrying' of the weather cycles due to our contributions to the atmosphere, again, not being well read on this I simply dun'no . . .

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your observations are valid and very reasonable and as you indicate not easy to prove.

4. feenix profile image56
    feenixposted 8 years ago

Straight up, my answer is NO, there is no man-made greenhouse effect or global warming happening.

I have been living for nearly seven decades and I can remember the climate changing in various parts of the country numerous times.

For example, over the years, there have been a number of occasions when there were "extreme cold snaps" in places like Southern California and south Florida (that caused the significant loss of crops and so forth).

On the other hand, there have been "hot spells" in such places as Maine and North Dakota in December.

Weather patterns always have been, and always will be, in a constant state of flux.

The ones who are out there making vast, breathtaking claims about "climate change" and "global warming" are nothing but scam artists who are stealing millions-upon-millions of dollars from all of the impressionable people who are falling for their lies, exaggerations and distortions.

Ha! we agree on something.  It is a scam!  Ppl do not learn about the wheater, they would rather someone tell them about it and they do not pay attention to the cycles that happen all the time and will forever on this planet.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 8 years ago

Nope, I do not think there is such a thing.  The earth has it's cycles and man cannot change them at all.  It is on a too borad of a scale for that.  In my life I have seen many changes and they all stem from the same place and we used to call that El Nino and La Nino and it was comes across the equator.  One must understand weather and it's patterns adn when you actually look and study it and get to know how it works you will see that man does not make the wheather patterns and we won't....not in this millenium that is.

6. Sam Montana profile image80
    Sam Montanaposted 8 years ago

Global warming is certainly happening, the pictures of the glaciers melting is total proof. But is it man made, that I am not sure of. The Planet goes through many climate cycles, and warming and cooling can happen for many reasons. The glaciers are melting, and that is a concern.

Living in the same spot I have for 55 years, I have noticed changes, different bugs and different weeds that were never seen here before. Is that just a normal change or a part of global warming, I do not know.

The El Nino and La Nina cycles are important to watch, but more importantly is the salinity of the oceans, and when the glaciers melt, too much fresh water in the ocean can change the climate.

It is unfortunate that the theory of global warming became politicized, the corporate bottom line matters more. The real problem should be global pollution. And global pollution can change the climate. Things should be changed, but tell India and China that.

One big volcano can cool us off for a couple of years. Why is California in such a drought, maybe more to due with overuse of water than lack of rain.

The 1930s were the hottest and driest years during the Dust Bowl, yet no one screamed global warming. In the 1970s, there were many reports of a coming ice age.

The planet changes, and we need to adapt, and more importantly, we need to stop abusing this planet. I think, in my opinion, the biggest threat is the cutting down of the rain forests. Trees are the lungs of the planet, and when you cut down the rainforest, you are destroying the cleansing ability of trees, just like when a person loses a lung.

7. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 8 years ago

All you need to do is look at Venus to see where the Greenhouse Effect will take us. Give carbon dioxide some time, and it'll turn the planet into a nightmarish hellhole. And let's not forget that Venus is also in the sun's habitable zone, just like Earth, so it's not even like its temperatures pre-Greenhouse Effect would be that much higher than ours.

but we ae not Venus and we aren't that close to the sun or that far from it.

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
      Zelkiiroposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Venus is in the sun's habitable zone, just like Earth is, meaning that we could still survive on Earth if it were as close to the sun as Venus is. We would have more arid desert zones, but Greenland would be amaaaaazing.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image68

There have been hellish places on this Earth that have turned to greenish places and vice versa.  It will always change and I kind of like it here they way it is. I see the vast amounts of land and seas that we have not even touched yet.

8. Larry Rankin profile image90
    Larry Rankinposted 8 years ago

Of course there is!

Though it is true that these processes occur naturally to some degree, we have basically given global warming steroids and put it in hyperdrive.

The effects could be dire and not in the too awful distant future.

Proof that it exists please.  I want to actually SEE it happening, because I don't see it happening on a global baisis, only in people's minds.

2. Larry Rankin profile image90
      Larry Rankinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Because where there were once glaciers, there aren't any more. Temperatures are trending upward at an alarming rate. It's really that simple.

On occasion there may be a cold snap, but it's a false equivalency. The overall trends are still way up.

9. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

I do. I think scientists have proved their point over and over, but people are too obtuse to listen. I think part of it is the natural rotation of the earth around the sun and the position of our universe in the galaxy, but we humans have made our contribution of greenhouse gases. We have also had a minor pole shift which has shifted the seasons by about six weeks. It's the old story of the grasshopper and the ant, but this time, there won't be any way for the ant to save the day. Call it what you want, blame it on whatever source, but we've reached the point of no return for this civilization. We are either going to have to adapt or die.

10. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 8 years ago

First, I think the biggest cause of global warming is the increase in population and more and more land being covered with concrete. As far as the seasons apparently appearing to adjust, I would argue that we do not know everything that is going  on with the sun and if climate changes on other planets are having any impact. I will agree we have a pollution issue on earth, but I think there is more to the problem than industrial emissions and I am not sure we are ever going to know.

1. MizBejabbers profile image89
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

More concrete and fewer trees. Our trees help keep down the greenhouse gases, and we are cutting down forests at an alarming rate. Thanks for pointing this out.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image68

You all do not look hard enough.  There are many who are re-planting billions of trees and using solar as their main power source and many other things that you are not looking at.

3. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes trees are replanted but it is years before they reach a maturity level that is effective and many of those are planted by paper companies and there is a constant harvesting. Solar is getting more credit than deserved. Power Plants still needed

11. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

I believe there is.  When I was a child, it NEVER rained in Lake Tahoe country during the winter.  Now, it happens a lot, to the point where it can be dangerous to skiers and snowboarders when it packs the existing snow bulletproof hard,  I also understand the Northwest Passage can be sailed through now, whereas it was impossible before.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)