If you had any advice for other writers on this site what would it be?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (30 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

If you had any advice for other writers on this site what would it be?

Let me start this off.
    I downloaded the free version of Grammarly and have been going through my Hubs one by one.  What a difference it makes.  I have been able to correct errors which I was completely unaware of.  If we all did the same I think we would be playing a huge part in making this site the best it can be.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12344719_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 8 years ago

Your advice on Grammarly is really good to note. 
    My first thought was to define one's goals and prioritize them.
    This will be interesting to check back on.

3. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

R Talloni
    We have needed a spell and grammar checker ever since I arrived on these pages.  The staff load on here must be enormous and sometimes we have to take responsibility for ourselves.  it really would not take much if we all decided it was time to deal with basic errors in our hubs.  What a difference it would make to the overall look of the site.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

My advice is to always write what you want to write, not what you think you should be writing. Making money on sites like this is a slow trickle at best. So if you fail to meet your financial goals, at least you can say you enjoyed the writing.

sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

M. T. Dremer
      Sound and sensible advice.  There is no point in doing it if you are not enjoying it.

5. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 8 years ago

I would say to write from the heart on the topics that excite you as that way you will research better and be more original in what you write. Then you should write first leave it unpublished for a couple of days then re-read and correct the errors.

It is best to have a friend to proof read before you publish. By all means use a grammar and spell checker, but do be aware that they will not get all errors and may even make incorrect changes. There is still not a program that is better than a really experienced human editor.

Stephen J Parkin
      I completely agree with you, there is nothing quite like a human editor but failing that programs do help.  Writing original content is  key to success here..

6. MarieLB profile image75
    MarieLBposted 8 years ago

I cannot but agree with all that has been said so far.  They are all useful to note and put into practice.

I certainly do not write for the money, in fact I am still stuck with the Google issue, so there is no hope of making any. 

What I do like to do, is that even after the articles 'get going', I like to go through them [one at a time, as my time permits] re-read, and edit as required. The time lapse seems to give me fresh insight.

Sometimes it turns out to be a considerable amount I need to delete or add, at other times, I just find the odd word here or there that just does not sound right.

I wonder whether I will ever get to a point where I am satisfied with all that is published so far?

It really is necessary to go back to older writing to refresh content which is no longer current or out of date.  Even a few new images can make the difference.  I know exactly how you feel.  Don't be so hard on yourself:)

7. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

I'd advise not being too stuck merely on words, but how your content appears to the eye as well.  Many people have long, drawn out paragraphs for example.  People reading a screen are skimmers by nature and long walls of text will turn them away. 

Text should be broken up visually - short paragraphs, bullet points, indentations/quotes, tables and images all contribute to readability, just as much as one's grammar and spelling.  All of these are important. 

My other advise is to stop worrying so much about trying to appease the ever fickle Google.  Yes, SEO as much as possible by writing top-quality content and giving your reader a good experience, but after that also consider - what will people share socially?  That is the wave of the future and social sharing is where I focus my energy and where I get the bulk of my high views.  Social sharing also requires excellent content that is visually striking and evokes emotions in readers - whether it's funny or just super useful and motivating information.

When you give people things they want to share; they do most of the work for you.

Final thought - don't put all your eggs in one basket.  You should be doing other things besides HubPages, especially if you want to make decent money.  Aside from money, writing in other venues expands skills and gives the opportunity to do other styles of writing.

Christin Sander
      Wow, Christin, wonderful advice, I could not add anything to that,  thank you.

2. MarieLB profile image75
      MarieLBposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have to echo Sally Gulbrandsen's comment.  Christin Sander, I think you've got IT.  Thanks for sharing.

MarieLB
      Some great advice from some excellent writers!  Thank you MarieLB

8. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

Go to Learning Center and read about Stellar Hubs, etc. When I did it correctly I received my EC Award.
    Also they should use the Hub Hopper frequently.

The Examiner,
      Nice one!   Good on you!   I was super chuffed yesterday when I received my 17th one.  Here's to many more for both of us.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I felt so good when I have received 1. I have only been here 2 years so far.

So glad for you:)

9. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Sally....First of all, thank you for the mention of Grammarly! This would have to be a tremendous aid.
    Any advice I would pass on to other writers have been mentioned for the most part, in the fantastic comments you've already gotten from some of our top writers.  I can merely agree & second their tips. M.T. is definitely on my same page.  In fact, I truly HAVE to write what I want to write, (and read about as well).  Specifically, writing of topics you KNOW is so critical, IMO.
    If I had to write a hub that required hours/days of in-depth research, I confess I wouldn't do it. Don't have that time luxury nor would it be enjoyable for me.
    Christin is spot on about careful & repeated editing, as well as refreshing older hubs from time to time.
    Very good question Sally.  Thanks....Paula

Paula,
      My niche subject, can take hours and sometimes days of creating, photographing and then collating the info.  I have had an amazing journey and I have learned that you have to write about what you love doing, I am so glad I enjoy what I do.

2. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

and you do it so fabulously, Sally!  We can rest our case!  smile

Paula you are much too kind:)

10. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

I would quote Viv Savage of Spinal Tap:
    "Have a good time. ALL the time."

(FatFreddysCat)
      Sound advice:)

11. Angela Blair profile image67
    Angela Blairposted 8 years ago

My advice -- which, after all is only my personal opinion: (1) Write what you know and are passionate about as succinctly and professionally as you can; (2) find your own path -- acknowledge and graciously accept others opinions on your work but stay true to your vision of what you want to accomplish; (3) elements involved with internet writing are many and varied -- if you're a writer. . . write. . .  but if you're overly involved with SEO, etc. you may have been diverted from  your original purpose and your writing (and joy in writing) may suffer; (4) spelling, grammer, punctuation, research and learning a system (as in Hubpages) is a  responsibility each writer must personally assume and should not expect others to do that work for them; and lastly (but not leastly) (5) if you're no longer enjoying writing then it's time to take a break, back off and reassess the situation and proceed accordingly. Hats off to all the fine, responsible writers on Hubpages!

Angela Blair
      Thank you for this well thought out response to the question.  I agree with you.  You have made some very valid points here  I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with everyone.
      Sally

12. annart profile image83
    annartposted 8 years ago

Proof-read, proof-read, proof-read!  Then check with spell-checkers etc.  It's not difficult!  I don't understand why so many writers obviously just don't read back what they've written.  Glaring errors could so easily be avoided.
    Apart from that, if we read each of our own hubs out loud, that can show flaws in the flow or the need for apostrophes etc.
    Great question, Sally!

13. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 8 years ago

I as well agree with many of the prolific and successful authors here. Each one have already mentioned so many ideas, that I too, believe to be useful.

I would add that when you find your niche, or when you can gather enough information on any subject of interest.

I feel a writer should begin there and expand into other areas.

I wouldn't want any writer to *pigeon hole* themselves. One of the things I have noticed, no matter how well an article is written. Sometimes the Hub score will drop after it is posted.

Wishing all writers to "write what they feel, believe it is important to write it, and make sure the words allow a reader to see clearly the character of the one who writes".

Jo_Goldsmith11
      I understand the importance of writing in a niche where you are comfortable and are giving people what they are looking for, You are a clear example of someone whose character shines through their writing Jo, thank you, Sally.

14. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

Choose topics that are evergreen, not the latest and greatest commentary.

Write about topics you can write about intelligently, even if it takes some research.

tamarawilhite
      You've got it! It is absolutely essential to write on evergreen topics. Thanks so much for taking the time to input your own experience.
      Sally

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)