Should Bruce Jenner be Stripped of his Medals?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

Should Bruce Jenner be Stripped of his Medals?

Some petitions to The International Olympic Committee are asking take back Jenner's Olympic medals now that he is a female.
    Whats is your opinion on this?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image87
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

That doesn't make any sense. He didn't cheat and (at the time) he was a man competing in the men's division. There is no justification to take back the medals because he changed genders later in life.

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree that makes no sense! He won those medals fair and square under the designated gender of the category he competed in. The real question is if he transitioned back then would he/she have been allowed to compete against women?

2. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 8 years agoin reply to this

She would deserve a higher medal as Men's competition is harder than Women's. Since he won a Gold anyway I think there would be a major uproar if they took them from Caitlyn!

3. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, she would not have been allowed to compete against women, because the Olympic committee does chromosome testing if there's a dispute about gender, and Caitlyn would fail the genetic test for being female.

3. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 8 years ago

I do hope that if Jenner gets publicly stripped of something, it will be his Olympic medals and not his clothing.

1. profile image0
      Stargrrlposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

4. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 8 years ago

I don't think he should be, since he earned those.  I do wish the country would stop exploiting his mental illness.  That is just sad.

1. lisavollrath profile image93

What century is this again? Psychiatry long ago dropped the idea that transgender people are mentally ill. The now counsel people going through gender transition to help them adjust to their new lives, rather than trying to somehow cure fix them.

2. Link10103 profile image60
      Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

What mental illness, exactly? Not particularly up to date on news these days...

3. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Gender identity disorder is no longer considered a mental illness, but gender dysphoria is. GID was removed to help lessen the stigma of "transgender" 2 the general public, but was "renamed" so they can get the mental services they need.

4. feenix profile image57
      feenixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A plethora of very serious mental-health issues are plaguing the US today. Thus, it is unfortunate that many of the resources needed to effectively address those issues have to be diverted to treating folks who have "gender hang ups."

5. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

u are NOT mental health professionals & know NOTHING. I AM & I can tell you it's a sick mind to have delusions U R superior to others. Yrs. of drug & alcohol kill brain cells.U may even see & hear spirits in jail, known as D.T's.or pl

6. feenix profile image57

If seeing and talking with Jesus is a case of the DT's, then you have diagnosed me correctly. And you're damned straight I am suffering brain damage from alcohol-drug abuse. And the reason why is I was man enough to go out & get myself FK'd up.

7. feenix profile image57

fpherj, you have written here on HubPages that you have loved ones and close family members who have fought in wars. Well, you should know that when some of us warriors returned home, "we were not all there."

8. fpherj48 profile image61

Dad drafted & THEN enlisted U.S.MC. (WWII) husband (Viet Nam) son (Iraq)..MANY friends too.. Every one, stellar men, loving Dads,devoted husbands. Don't brag, don't whine, don't make excuses. No drugs, no alcohol. get the chip off ur shoulder!

9. feenix profile image57

fpherj, instead of accusing me of self-pity and having a chip on my shoulder, you should be thanking your lucky stars that your loved ones returned home in one piece. Millions of mothers and wives of "warriors" were not as fortunate as you are.

10. feenix profile image57

fpherj, please come right out and say it; you hate my guts. Well, let me tell you, madam, you are a member of a very tiny minority. I am well liked and highly respected by all the war veterans, poor people and incarcerated men I provide help to.

11. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well...that escalated quickly.

12. feenix profile image57

Keith, actually this is not an escalation. A few weeks ago, fpherj told me, in so many words, that she would never communicate with me again.

13. profile image0

Freddy, have you see the movie "The Sandlot"? If so, this reminds me of the part where the two boys were in a cut down contest.

5. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

No, they shouldn't be stripped. They were won fair and square at the time.

Those petitioning for the stripping of the medals are merely doing do because of their transphobia - their lack of understanding that Bruce is still the person he was back then, but she's finally honest with herself and presenting her authentic self. It does not make Bruce the Olympian a cheat, nor does it mean that Caitlyn is not deserving to keep them. They were earned by the same body - just in different clothing.

If It was found that Bruce had been a drugs cheat at the time, I'd be all for the medals being stripped / but if they were won fair and square and legally, they should remain with their winner.

1. jlpark profile image80
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Awww, thanks for the Best Answer!

6. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

I think that's the worst idea I've heard all week! Bruce Jenner trained hard for those medals, and won them legitimately. There is no basis for revoking them now, simply because his life has gone in a direction that some narrow-minded people don't like.

1. profile image0

Worst idea this week? You must be having a slow year because this is the worst idea I have heard in a long time.

2. feenix profile image57

Please allow your imagine to run wild. All the cash that Jenner spent on "transforming" himself could have paid for such things as thousands of meals for hungry people and numerous computers for public schools in impoverished communities.

3. fpherj48 profile image61

Excuse me?? Are you accustomed to people telling YOU what you should be spending your money on as opposed to what you spend it on?  WHO the HELL died & left you anyone's director of finance? "Imagine" for yourself...not others!" MYOB!

4. feenix profile image57

fpherj, liberals are constantly accusing "the rich" of being self-indulgent and uncaring towards the poor. Well, I guess that only applies to rich "straight" people and rich conservatives and Christians. But when it comes to rich transgenders ...

5. fpherj48 profile image61

feenix...How U got into politics, only U could know. it's obvious u've run out of independent thought, which is par 4 the course. Ur comment is jibberish, makes no point at all & is unfinished.  Another hallucination?  U need a break.

6. feenix profile image57

fpherj, I am real screwed up. I'm nuts; insane, brain-damaged, as crazy as hell; dumb, stupid, unoriginal, in need of a break or a stay in an asylum. But, at least, my comments do not resemble teenaged text messages.

7. Link10103 profile image60

Character limit...

Not sure how"teenage text" somehow trumps potential insanity.

8. feenix profile image57

Link, where were you when cleverness and senses of humor were being handed out? Please, lighten up.

9. fpherj48 profile image61

Link...the truth is, neither is feenix sure how character limit texting trumps insanity. Key Word: Insanity.  When U don't play w/ a full deck, u run out of cards. Then try to divert w/ nonsense & immaturity. They just don't GET IT.

10. Link10103 profile image60

I guess we have different definitions of cleverness and humor feenix, because implying she is childish for texting like a teen and that it somehow bumps of your pedestal doesn't fall under either of those.

11. feenix profile image57

Damn, I'm in the same situation that Daniel was in when he was in the lions' den.

12. fpherj48 profile image61

There you go again Mr. Delusional.....When you're not playing God, you just have to compare yourself to someone in the Bible!   No self-respecting Lion would even bother with you, feenix.  Stop flattering yourself!

13. feenix profile image57

fpherj,

"You can't please every one so you got to please yourself."

Rickey Nelson

14. lisavollrath profile image93

Thanks for hijacking my reply to have an unrelated cut down contest! As for the whole money thing, it's not my business what some vain, self-centered Kardashian clan member does with their cash. They're not known for their brains or philanthropy.

15. feenix profile image57

Lisa, please accept my sincere apology for being one of the ones who hijacked your comment.

7. Link10103 profile image60
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

Dont see why. Its not like Jenner was a woman physically from get go and used some elaborate disguise to compete as a man at the time.

Then again, even if that was the case, that would probably be more impressive.

For the reason they are giving, they might as well ask every family of a deceased Olympic winner to give back any medals that were won. They won them while they were alive, but now they are dead so clearly they dont qualify in keeping the medal anymore.

Thats what we call stupid people logic...

Stacie Lposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good response....

8. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 8 years ago

I really do not see the point in this, so I would say no. I think someone is just trying to get their names in the headlines because their case does not hold any water what so ever.

He was a man when he won the medals, so he should get to keep them.

Yea,they wanted some attention I guess...

9. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Why would they take his medals away? He was a dude back then, he competed against other dudes, and he won. That's pretty cut and dried.

10. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Bruce Jenner should not be "stripped" of the medals he won many years ago as Bruce Jenner who was awarded those medals based on his championship performance.  He out-shined his opponents and he won.  Simple, cut and dry.   This is a permanent part of his past athletic accomplishment.

Actually, I can't understand how you would have even come up with this rather mean-spirited question/suggestion.  He is not exactly the lying, cheating culprit as is the ego-maniac, phony Lance Armstrong.

IMHO Bruce should not be stripped of anything he had or was worthy of prior to his decision to gender change.  He is entitled to love, dignity, respect, rights and a life free from stigma or judgement from ignorant individuals who have yet to TO GET THEIR OWN LIVES IN ORDER AND FREE FROM NEGATIVE ISSUES.  Playing God is a disgusting habit and one NO mortal has a single right to do.  It merely proves total ignorance.

Pay attention to your own behavior and that of your family.  Keep your degrading comments to yourself and get on with your lives.  Allow Caitlyn Jenner her choices and the freedom to get on with her life.  No one can possibly know how or why anyone deals with serious issues  in their lives and this is how it should be,.   What others may think or say is the very least of their concerns.   It's THEIR life......NOT YOURS!   Don't worry your tired and narrow little brains wondering about someone else.

Do the world a favor and SHUT the F#$k  UP!

Surely Bruce Jenner (Caitlyn) is not the first and surely will not be the last to go through this experience.  Personally I am sickened by anyone who feels the right to judge, criticize. condemn or persecute.

1. Sunshine625 profile image86
      Sunshine625posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Woohoo! You tell 'em Effer!

2. feenix profile image57

For some reason or the other, the terms sanctimonious and self-righteous just came to mind.

3. feenix profile image57

fpherj, yes, I am a "sad man"; I will be the first to admit that. But one of the primary reasons why I am a success in life and I am respected by a great many people is I have had a tough life and, as result, I have gained the tools to lift up others

4. Stacie L profile image89

I don't know if you are referring to me as the one who suggested this but it was in the news and I am simply asking a question. No need for such hostility.

5. profile image0

Stacie,
      Some people are just angry at the world, so in this case, I wouldn't take it personal

11. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 8 years ago

Absolutely not. He earned them already. That wouldn't be a fair thing to do. Besides, his medals are irrelevant to what he is doing today. Let him be what she wants to be.

I agree that he earned them already and what he does today irrelevant.

12. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

I thought that was happening first but then he/she was in the hospital due to cancer because of the surgery.

1. profile image0

???

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I thought I saw on Yahoo! that he changed to she.

3. Stacie L profile image89

I'm not sure what you are referring to....Bruce was in the hospital for cancer??

4. The Examiner-1 profile image61

Perhaps he was not in the hospital but I Googled it - "did bruce jenner change" -  and Bruce Jenner is now Caitlyn Jenner (if I spelled that correctly). That may be why he lost his medals.

5. profile image0

First, he didn't lose his medals. Second, I don't know what being in the hospital for cancer has to do w/ sex change. He did not have sex reassignment surgery and that surgery does not cause cancer. Your first comment is very confusing.

6. The Examiner-1 profile image61

I said that I was wrong about the hospital and the cancer, but right about the sex change. He had surgery for the change. May lose Gold now because of this, nothing yet .

7. profile image0

He did not lose his kibbles and bits, so he is still genetically a dude. He did have facial feminization surgery and got some boobies, though.

8. The Examiner-1 profile image61

Whatever.

13. Edward J. Palumbo profile image84
    Edward J. Palumboposted 8 years ago

Those medals were fairly won and well deserved. Whatever decisions he has since made cannot negate past accomplishment. I don't regard that worth consideration and I seriously doubt the suggestion will be popularly supported.

I agree with this.

14. June B Jones profile image60
    June B Jonesposted 10 months ago

Just post my comment and get on with it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)