Why do people find it difficult to study but finds it easy to waste time doing i

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Pacesetter Abbey profile image49
    Pacesetter Abbeyposted 8 years ago

Why do people find it difficult to study but finds it easy to waste time doing irrelevant things?

Studying/Reading as we all know is one of the ways we add value to ourselves academically and intellectually but most people find it very difficult to learn and add to what they already know.
    Instead, most people find it easy to waste time playing games, watching films and reading irrelevant articles like jokes, gist, gossip and lots more.
    Please, what exactly is the cause of this problem and how can it be solved?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12645039_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 8 years ago

"playing games, watching films and reading irrelevant articles like jokes"

I find these activities highly enjoyable, at times enlightening, and usually rewarding smile

I enjoy academics as well, but not quite as much as the above. I don't think it's a problem nor does it need a solution. There's a great deal to be learned and gained from games, film/TV, and comedy.

3. abdussalaam profile image82
    abdussalaamposted 8 years ago

People do what they enjoy. If a student found an academic subject enjoyable, then that student would spend time studying that subject. The study of an enjoyable subject would become leisure as one browses the internet leisurely reading and learning. If a subject is difficult or boring, then a student would make excuses to study and will become easily distracted and find something else to do such as playing games etc.

1. profile image0
      thegeckoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree! smile

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

There are 3 basic "to do" lists
    1. Things I "have to" do (Or else something bad happens)
    2. Things I "want to" do (Because they are fun or pleasurable)
    3. Things I "need to" do. (If I ever "find the time" I'll do it)
    Generally speaking if whatever it is doesn't fall within the first two categories odds are it won't be a "top priority".
    The same could be said about money.
    Some people can always find a way to get money to take care of an "emergency" but they can never find a dime to go on a vacation.
    One's priorities determines what they will or won't do.

5. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

I think that people are sort of indoctinated/brainwashed into believing that knowledge is cheap, and easy to come by. Respect authority, etc. At the same time, I've realized that working all day toward your goals, every day, is the road to success. It's sad that so many people work shitty jobs they hate rather than following their dreams via entrepreneurial means instead.

6. Au fait profile image83
    Au faitposted 8 years ago

Most people don't know how to study.  That's their first mistake.

Many universities require people to take courses (the core curriculum) they would never take if left to take only courses they wanted to take, because the university wants their graduates to have a well rounded education. 

Sometimes people change their majors because they discover they actually like a different field better than their original choice of majors once they get into one of the required subjects.  More often than you might think.

What it comes down to is that you can find ways to make a course interesting and therefore easier, or you can make it miserable by hating it and thinking continually that you don't want to do it.

Love it or hate it, you have to do it, and do the best you can unless you want to pay to take it over because you failed it.  Finding ways to make it interesting, forcing yourself to be interested, will make the job of learning so much easier.  Learning how to study and how to take tests can make a world of difference.

Doing well in school is just as much strategy as studying.  Of course I was an A student all the way through starting in the first grade.  Most classes were easy for me.  But there were a couple I had to actually put some effort into and that was a real drag, because I was spoiled, used to having everything come easy to me.  Even then the 'work' I had to put in was nothing compared to what most people go through, it was just more than I usually had to put into it.

I always started collecting points towards my final semester grade on day one of class.  The final grade is what stays on your record forever -- unless you take the class over, but who wants to do that?  Very expensive, and another semester, or at least several days or weeks if you do a mini-mester or a summer session.  It's just as easy to do it right the first time as it is to do it over, and much less expensive.  Why accept a C, D, or F when you've paid for an A?

It isn't important to get perfect scores on every individual test, bit of homework, or whatever is required.  What is important is doing your very best to add those scores up at the end of the semester so that they equal a good passing grade.  I'm partial to A's myself, but B's will get the job done, as will C's.  However, the competition is greater when you're trying to get into grad school or get a good job when you have to compete with people who have better credentials.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I suspect a lot of courses are  designed to generate income for the college. Entrepreneurs like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Michael Dell, Ted Turner, & Richard Branson are just a few Billionaires without degrees. Know what you want.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)