What are you looking for in tonight's GOP Debate?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Josh Ratzburg profile image77
    Josh Ratzburgposted 8 years ago

What are you looking for in tonight's GOP Debate?

What are you looking for in tonight's debate? Is there anyone you expect to come out as the front runner for the nomination?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12646375_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Luke Setliffposted 8 years ago

I would like to see serious questions, that are answered honestly and allow candidates to stand for something, not the Trump show.  I think the most successful candidate tonight will be able to articulate something specific that they stand for or will fight for that separates them from other candidates.  I think Trump falls off at some point, tonight may be the start of that.

1. Ameraka profile image71
      Amerakaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, I'm waiting for Trump to make a big gaffe that puts off a lot of people--but if he hasn't already--it seems like the majority of the US thinks the Presidential race is a reality show rather than something that will determine the future of the US

3. Old-Empresario profile image71
    Old-Empresarioposted 8 years ago

I'll catch the highlights later. I'm looking forward to the typical lunacy of a dying party trying to redefine itself for the 21st Century. I expect Trump will come across as the most genuine only because he's the only polished celebrity in the group with the most experience in television. The guy hosted a game show. He's in his element in a debate. He makes gaffes often, but he rolls through them unapologetically; and that must be why he's appealing to Republican people right now (other than the fact that he's all the media talks about). I think it would be funny to see if other politicians try to emulate him. Most likely they'll try to beat him by trying to look "more presidential".

4. TristanDoes profile image61
    TristanDoesposted 8 years ago

Unfortunately, I'll miss it because of work.

1. Josh Ratzburg profile image77
      Josh Ratzburgposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Gonna miss one of the best drinking games, I'm afraid.

5. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12646818_f260.jpg

Entertainment! It's Trump VS the world!
    Seriously debates this early are really about thinning out the heard. People are looking for "gotcha moments" or "gaffes" which illustrate a candidate is ignorant on a subject or is completely out of touch.
    In the last debate Trump spoke for slightly over 11 minutes and Carson a little more than 6 minutes. When you have ten or more candidates on a stage it's unlikely you are going to learn anything substantive about their views.
    The general consensus is those polling near the bottom will have to make some serious noise to get a media attention boost.
    That means either attacking Trump or trying to "out trump him" with bold statements of their own that position themselves as outside the establishment.
    During the last debate Trump refused to agree to automatically support the Republican nominee. This gave him leverage and instilled fear that if the RNC attacked him hard he would run as a third party candidate.
    Now that he's signed the pledge it will be interesting to see if the gloves come off and the candidates attack him. More importantly what will happen to their polling numbers afterwards.
    Right now it appears a loud vocal segment of Republican voters want someone who is not politician. This explains why Trump and Carson are leading in the polls rather than former governors and senators.

6. RJ Schwartz profile image88
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

I'd like to see some separation - meaning some of the lower polling participants need to be eliminated.  What I don't want to see is the host trying to knock Trump around - some real policy questions might be nice and not cheap shots

7. lions44 profile image94
    lions44posted 8 years ago

I'm looking for John Kasich to emerge as part of the Top 5, even Top 3 behind Trump and Carson.  He might be the only one with a real chance to win the general election. He's accomplished and gives thoughtful answers. Most of all he is pragmatic in governing.  Behind all the usual GOP rhetoric, he has been sensible in both his time in Congress and Ohio Governor.  Christie might have zingers tonight too.  Look for Rand Paul to be put out to pasture.

8. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

People still care about this s---? Wake up! Presidents have been "chosen" for decades and decades..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)