Why are Gen Y all aging so slowly?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image53
    peter565posted 8 years ago

Why are Gen Y all aging so slowly?

It is an obvious fact now, gen Y are mostly in their late 20s to early 30s now, yet, most gen Y, still look 19.  It is very obvious now that gen Y is the generation that simply don't age.  I go to high school reunion, everybody still look the same as they were back when we graduated from high school in 2002.  In our parents generation, women in their 30s are already showing obvious sign of aging, our generation, girls who are 30 are still hot and a lot of time, until they told you, you think they are only 19.

2. Happy Moment profile image68
    Happy Momentposted 8 years ago

I think it is because many of them have become highly conscious on what they consume. Then there is this thing of gym and spa which helps people remain fit. Then of course use of make ups

1. profile image53
      peter565posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like the food consume idea, I remember back in our parents gen, they eat a lot of fatty food, when I was in school, they only sell unhealthy food like chip, coke and meat pie, no e.g salad. Now, people tend to eat healthier and exercise more.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

Based on the view of a Baby Boomer, I think if you only graduated high school when you did you're just experiencing what so many people do; which is discovering that 30 doesn't look, feel, or seem nearly so old once you're get there (or near there).  You're not old enough to judge who ages well, because, for the most part (and unless someone speeds up their own aging process by gaining so much weight it makes them look older, by not protecting their complexion from sun exposure, or by living what some people used to call "a hard lifestyle" (and by that they meant "a party lifestyle", or else "seedy", lifestyle too early and for too long); noticeable signs of aging don't really start to show up until someone is at least a few years into their forties.  (Some sooner.   Some later.  I imagine genetics plays some role in how soon the earliest and most subtle signs of aging show up. )

A "hard life" could also be a life full to hard work and a lot of responsibilities (assuming the person knows what his/her responsibilities are and takes them on, rather than living in happy ignorance about what his/her responsibilities really are and/or neglecting them.

Thirties are still young.  If someone looks old at that age s/he is doing something wrong.  You can't tell who "aged well" until they've actually had the time to do "aging" in the first place.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

30 is STILL YOUNG.  30 is the age that many people are becoming self-assured, confident, and aware of their own skin.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12664742_f260.jpg

Actually I would say it goes back to the "Baby Boomer" generation.
    This was the generation that began the "hippie movement", "counter drug culture", changed Rock & Roll,  engaged in "free love" and coined the phrase: "Never trust anyone over 30!"
    Even now you still see Mick Jagger in his 70s touring the world singing with the "Rolling Stones". Prior to the Baby Boomer generation people tended to "accept getting older".
    You see women like Rachel Welch in her 70s and Christie Brinkley in her 60s. No "grandmothers" looked like this prior to "Baby Boomers".
    A few years behind you women like Jennifer Lopez who is 46, Jennifer Aniston 46, and Sandra Bullock at 51.
    People in their 40s, 50s, and beyond didn't put much effort into going to the gym, watching what they ate, or investing in cosmetic surgery.
    A lot of folks never bothered to dye their hair!
    That all (started to change) with the "Baby Boomer" generation.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Age is no excuse to stop caring, being involved, and looking one's best.  There is the OLD old and the NEW old.  The OLD old become resigned as they become older while the NEW old keep up THEIR game!

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12170355_f260.jpg

Because they take better care of themselves.  Also it is a different way of thinking.   Nowadays, people in their late 20s and early 30s are young.  This age is still the exploratory age.  There is no pressure on them to get married and have children.  They are free to explore and indulge in various lifestyle options.   Our definition of age has changed and evolved from the 20th century to 21st century.   Before 1968, people in the late 20s and early 30s were expected to have settled down in terms of marriage and careers.   Those who did not settle down were viewed as immature or worse.  Presently, such is not the case.

When I was in my late 20s( I am now 61 years of age), I went into a bookstore and into the adult section.  The manager informed me that this section was for those over 18 years of age.  I told him that I was 28 years of age, he still forbade me from going into the section.  If one takes care of oneself, do not smoke, drink, nor take drugs, one can maintain a youthful appearance up throughout life.  One also must take scrupulous care of oneself  through skin lotions, exfoliators, and skin cleansers.   One cannot/should not let oneself go to seed.  I never smoked, drank, nor take controlled substances.   Also do not eat processed foods.   Consume high quality, natural foods.

Also socioeconomics have an influence as to how young is going to look.  Maintaining oneself to the premium requires money and lots of it.  Higher quality skin care co$t$ money.  Higher quality nutrition co$t$ money.   People in the upper income brackets no matter what age will look younger than people in the lower income brackets who oftentimes look much older than they are.   Money helps people retain their looks, even look younger.  With money, one can afford gyms, spas, and other methods of being young.

Then there is the attitude towards getting older.  There are those who subscribe, even succumb to the old paradigm of acting.  They believe that because they are of a certain age, one must act and dress that age.  Then there are those who believe that age is just a number.  They view age as evolvement, not the end.  They take care of themselves, dress and act youthful.  They refuse to permit age from stopping them from being the persons they were meant to be.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)