Why are introverts perceived to be less intelligent, even stupid by our American

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Why are introverts perceived to be less intelligent, even stupid by our American extroverted

culture & society?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12405281_f260.jpg

2. Besarien profile image74
    Besarienposted 8 years ago

I don't know. I always assume people who are quiet are probably smarter than me. People certainly learn a lot more when they listen instead of talking all the time.

3. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

I guess because they are quiet and outgoing people don't understand them.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12806254_f260.jpg

Very few professions allow one to rise to the top of their field without interacting with others whether it is for networking purposes, selling, or managing them. Observe any class or work project that is broken down into groups for an assignment.
    One person usually (takes the lead) making suggestions right off the bat. Others jump in to tweak that idea and the introvert offers nothing.
    Generally what happens is the leader/project manager of the group {gives them an assignment}. If one does not speak up or make contributions during the decision making process (the perception) is they aren't  sharp. Essentially they are "dead weight" or a spectator.

1. Efficient Admin profile image83
      Efficient Adminposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good point. A manager may need to ask the introvert for input. I work for an engineering firm and most of the engineers are highly specialized, and introverts. They don't talk unless you ask them for input.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It ALL depends.  At one of my jobs, there was a person who was always THE FIRST for input; however,she was deemed stupid.While I hardly stated anything,the plumb assignments ALWAYS went to me.The supervisor informed me that I was THE SMARTEST one!

3. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I hear you Grace!
      Unfortunately the "perception" a lot of people still have is introverts keep quiet because they either don't know anything or they're not "driven".
      Many people simply "dismiss" introverts or treat them as if they're "invisible".

5. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 8 years ago

Where do you get your energy?That determines whether you're an 'inny' or an 'outy'.If you feel energised when you're around people,you're probably an extrovert.If you need alone time or solitude to 'recharge' yourself,you're probably an introvert...shy or self confident is another matter.
    Some extroverts are very shy but enjoy being around people.Some introverts are out going but must have alone time.Most of us are a mix of both depending on circumstance.
    Being judgmental about inteligence without a thorough conversation is self condemnation.Nothing swims in a shallow mind...no matter how attractive the water may be.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Love this answer.  It's a common belief that all introverts are shy or insecure somehow and that isn't the case.  I can hold conversations with strangers - if I must, lol, but I prefer a lot of solitude with little bits of people time smile

6. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 8 years ago

Introverts can be hard to figure out. I know more introverts than extroverts and often like them better. I get to know them and their personalities, and they are good listeners. Extroverts may perceive them to be less intelligent, because they do not take time to understand them, and some may feel that their group will look down on them for the same reasons..A guy I know broke up with his girl for these reasons, so this answer has a little credibility,

7. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 8 years ago

I believe it's all stemming from our inherent tendency to mock those who are in some apparent, or only imagined way different from us. That's how we got racism, and that's why we make jokes about blondes' intelligence. We just have this need to see something "wrong" about those who don't look, behave, or reason like us.

I'd like to see a person who feels called upon to set norms about what is "normal" when it's about extroverts and introverts. We all have our mind styles and life styles, our tastes and preferences, and there are no existing "standards" about them.

A person with a meditative and intellectual nature who also loves classical music  -  probably appears "weird" to a highly intelligent(?) dude who thrives on "heavy metal", beer, partying, and sports. And the opposite must be just as true. Maybe some day, this world will see some meaning in that saying :"To each his own". Who knows, maybe to the point that racism, religious wars, and other similar idiocies disappear from our style of coexisting.

In this meantime, let's be glad that extroverts didn't escalate their criticism about introverts to the level of a hate.

8. Efficient Admin profile image83
    Efficient Adminposted 8 years ago

Introverts do not typically engage in fluff and glitter talk like extroverts do.  Introverts need to engage in conversation that has meaning and substance, and it needs to go somewhere.  Extroverts can talk ten minutes straight and not say a thing, so if an introvert is not witty with bantering, the extrovert may possibly, mistakenly, believe the introvert not as smart as they are.
    Extroverts believe introverts don't like them and introverts think extroverts are flaky and shallow.  Most of the time neither is true and it is helpful for all people to understand personality differences and also generational differences.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point. Both introverts and extroverts are more comfortable with those who are like them. Some folks view introverts as being arrogant, standoffish, passive, untrustworthy or boring in (social gatherings).
      Most times it's just shyness.

2. Efficient Admin profile image83
      Efficient Adminposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have seen Extroverts that came across as arrogant and untrustworthy.  I consider myself an introvert and one time was called boring LOL.  I have learned to speak up when needed but do like my quiet time to myself.

3. gmwilliams profile image86

I have seen extroverts being totally bombastic,even inconsiderate of others. They believe in the premise of talking aimlessly,seeking attention.Many extroverts believe that they are smart-this is until they communicate.Then all the mystery is...GONE.

4. ChristinS profile image39

I'm introverted and I disagree with being "shy". I'm not shy at all smile I'm just not interested in small talk and being loud etc. but I don't consider myself "shy" either.  I'm confident, just prefer to keep my own company or with a few I know well.

9. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

Are we really perceived as less intelligent? Because I'm an introvert, and that's not the feedback I get. Anti-social, yes. Stand-offish, yes. Quiet, yes. But stupid? Never! In fact, I'm often acknowledged as the smartest, or the cleverest, person in the room.

I think most introverts are less likely to sing their own praises, but I don't think most people think we're stupid.

I will say that it's harder for us to interact with others, so communication is sometimes difficult. I work at home, for myself now, but when I was in corporate America, an HR person sent me to a class on how to communicate with others better, and that REALLY helped. I was skipping over all the "hi, how are you, how was your weekend" stuff with my team, and getting straight to business. When I learned to add that social stuff first, everyone was much happier.

1. gmwilliams profile image86

Unfortunately, we introverts are perceived as less intelligent because we don't rabble on in conversation.  Many people perceive quiet & introverted people that way.  When we reveal how much we know, they are surprised that we actually know so mu

2. ActionForEarth profile image69
      ActionForEarthposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agree with you. Introverts like us prefer listening, to talking. We will listen, and think. And, we only like to speak, when we actually think that it is something worthwhile to say.

3. ChristinS profile image39

My experience mirrors yours pretty much to a T Lisa.  I'm perceived as being smart, but kind of distant or antisocial by many.  The ones who were annoyed by my lack of small talk never thought I was stupid, just quiet and to myself.

10. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

Grace, this is a great question.
    I don't think that extroverts per-se think that introverts are stupid/less intelligent.  Extroverts don't understand why everyone is not as outgoing/confident as they are.
    Most people would probably consider me an introvert, because I listen more than I talk, but I am neither.
    But, it is okay if people think I am an introvert/extrovert I do not mind
    People who label anyone else either an introvert/extrovert underestimates the other person.  I think that many extroverts force themselves to be extroverted to cover some insecurities and some introverts are quiet because they don't want to be seen as extroverts or the other way round.
    I do think I would rather be an introvert than an extrovert.

11. ActionForEarth profile image69
    ActionForEarthposted 8 years ago

Classing all introverts the same, is like classing all extroverts the same. Introverts have all different types of personality. We're just not loud, or in your face about it. Perhaps introverts are seen as less intelligent because we don't talk as much, and are not on the surface like extroverts.

It takes time to get to know introverts, but when you do, you realize that usually, they have a lot more knowledge than extroverts. The introvert it the room might not say much, or anything, but they listen, and pay attention to everything.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)