What were the names of the three kings who visited baby Jesus?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

What were the names of the three kings who visited baby Jesus?

Tomorrow, January 6, is Three Kings Day, Epiphany. Do you know what their names were? Image credit: Wikipedia Public Domain  Adoration of the Kings.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12819002_f260.jpg

2. Radical Rog profile image71
    Radical Rogposted 8 years ago

Scripture doesn't say. Nor does it describe them as kings, but as three magi. Some name them as Balthasar Melchior and Gaspar, but the evidence is spurious. Perhaps that there were 3 is more interesting. Also that they were Magi, wise men, who looked to the stars for omens, something condemned in the ten commandments. And from the East, symbolising occult practice also condemned by Moses. The number 3 also denotes completeness, the triple goddess in witchcraft, the 3 ethical principles of Zoroastrianism, the 3 primary colours, the 3 Borromean rings, the 3 valknut triangles, relating to the Norse God Odin, not to mention the trinity itself, but that appeared much later, the Holy Spirit inserted to replace the Mother Goddess because of the Church's denigration of women, which open another whole can of worms.

Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Interesting POV..

3. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12819816_f260.jpg

In reality when one looks deeply into this, the answer is somewhat complex. The word magoi often has the meaning of "magician", in both Old and New Testaments (see Acts 8:9; 13:6, 8 etc.). We find the same meaning in the second chapter of Matthew, though this is not the common interpretation.
    It should be noted that no Father of the Church holds the Magi to have been kings.  The Church,  indeed, in her liturgy, applies to the Magi the words: "The kings of Tharsis and the islands shall offer presents; the kings of the Arabians and of Saba shall bring him gifts: and all the kings of the earth shall adore Him. Neither were they magicians: the good meaning of magoi, though found nowhere else in the Bible, is demanded by the context of the second chapter of St. Matthew. These Magians can have been none other than members of the priestly caste already referred to. The religion of the Magi was fundamentally that of Zoroaster and forbade sorcery; their astrology skill in interpreting dreams were occasions of their finding Christ. (See Theological Aspects of the Avesta).

The Gospel narrative omits to mention the number of the Magi, and there is no certain tradition in this matter. Some Fathers speak of three Magi; they are very likely influenced by the number of gifts. In the Orient, tradition favours twelve. Early Christian Art is no consistent witness:

*a painting in the cemetery of Sts. Peter and Marcellinus shows two;

*one in the Lateran Museum, three;

*one in the cemetery of Domitilla,

*four on vase in the Kircher Museum,

*eight (Marucchi, "Eléments d'archéologie chrétienne", Paris, 1899, I 197).

The names of the Magi are as uncertain as is their number. Among the Latins, from the seventh century, we find slight variants of the names, Gaspar, Melchior, and Balthasar; the Martyrology mentions St. Gaspar, on the first, St. Melchior, on the sixth, and St. Balthasar, on the eleventh of January (Acta SS., I, 8, 323, 664). The Syrians have Larvandad, Hormisdas, Gushnasaph, etc.; the Armenians, Kagba, Badadilma, etc. (Cf. ActaSanctorum, May, I, 1780).

Very interesting comment, John. Thank you. You should write a hub on this, I would like to read more.

2. connorj profile image70
      connorjposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Phyllis; perhaps when and if I retire in a few years I will find the time to write a hub on this...

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd enjoy reading that Hub! A workshop by a Hebrew linguist & an OT Bible scholar together taught us "3" in Hebrew scripture & secular literature at the time represented a number anywhere from 3 to 12, so "many kings" would sound right to me.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I agree, Patty - John could write a very good hub on this. I never knew that "3" meant "so many" - that is a good point to bring up. Thanks for commenting.

5. connorj profile image70
      connorjposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Matthew 2:1-12
      1 After Jesus had been born at Bethlehem in Judaea during the reign of King Herod, suddenly some wise men came to Jerusalem from the east asking, ‘Where is the infant king of the Jews? We saw his star as it rose and have come to...

4. recappers delight profile image70
    recappers delightposted 8 years ago

Tradition gives the names of Caspar, Melchoir and Balthasar, but there is no evidence to support the belief that these were the actual names of the magi. We don't even know for sure how many wise men there were. We have three distinct gifts, largely symbolic by nature, but that does not necessarily mean that there were exactly three wise men. People who lived during biblical times put a lot of stock in numerology, and three is considered a mystical number for a wide variety of reasons.

We must also remember that the Bible does not say that the Magi were kings. They brought gifts of great cost, and they were unusually literate for their time. Possibly that explains the desire to call them kings.  I've always thought that a person who was a king would probably not have time to take a long journey to find a baby in a foreign land.

Thanks for commenting, recappers.

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

I asked a simple question - for three names. I did not ask for a religious debate. Whether they were kings, magi, wise men is not the point here. Whether or not the story is true is not the point. Since 1857 the song "We Three Kings of Orient Are" has been a popular Christmas carol. According to Wikipedia: "Though the event is recounted in the Gospel of Matthew, there are no further details given with regards to their names, the number of Magi that were present or whether they were even royal." Now, whether that is true or not is also not the point here. I just wanted to know if anyone knew the name of the three kings - and Epiphany is also called Three King's Day, which denotes the visit of the Magi to the Christ child, and thus Jesus' physical manifestation to the Gentiles. I will close the question due to the fact I did not ask for a debate on religious beliefs. I could have asked "What were the names of Santa's reindeer?" - but, instead asked for the names of three kings, or magi. Thank you all for commenting.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)