Holy Texts - which have you read?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

Holy Texts - which have you read?

This is for anyone - religious or atheist - which holy texts have you read? Have you read your own holy text in its entirety? Have you read the holy texts of other faiths? Any changes to your thinking?
    (will write hub)

2. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

I have only read the Christian Bible.  It is only recently that I've become aware of the holy texts of other religions.  I can't say it changed me significantly - not as much as inadvertently joining a cult, anyway - but it is good to know about your professed religion, so I'm glad I read it.

jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, Yoleen - knowing more is best. The inadvertently joining a cult would have been an eye opener for certain.

3. Link10103 profile image60
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

I've read the Bible up to Noah.

As for any changes to my thinking based on 5 seconds of reading...

I was never 100% sold when people said the Bible makes absolutely no sense in some/most areas, but if the atom sized amount I've gotten through so far is any indication of what lies ahead, I almost don't want to bother so I can save myself the from the annoyance.

Baby steps though.

Cool, Link. I've got a KJV Bible that I pull out from time to time, and plow through - the study version helped to make sense of some of the "huh???" moments. Some, not all! Looking at other holy texts to learn more about the others...

4. Oztinato profile image76
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

I have studied all the major texts as well as ancient and modern indigenous info. They all extol tolerance and "love". The ones that didn't haven't survived. The ones that do often evolve into better forms. All of them are represented by their own religion which carries and protects the writings.

Thanks for that Oz, can you give any names of the texts? I'm curious, as I would like to learn more about other faiths, but only know a few of the texts by name.

2. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The bhagavad gita is readily available. In fact it is quite a small book. The local hari krishnas have a huge "annotated" version that adds totally unecessary insights in it.
      Bahai literature is also easy to obtain.

5. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years ago

Jacqui, I was brought up with the bible, then went deeper into it when in my late teens and early 20s.  Any understanding of it then was weighed against what my fellow churchgoers thought appropriate. 
    But then later, in my 30s, I began asking lots of questions - the sort of question a committed, "born again" christian is supposed to accept and not doubt.
    So, joining a Siddha Yoga group and hearing other interpretations of biblical texts really opened my eyes (i.e. brain) to other possible meanings and understandings.  It was like a breath of fresh air; suddenly lots of the biblical references made a lot more sense.
    I still have not read very much of the bible, and not very much of other religious texts either.   It does not seem very important to me.  Much more important to relate whatever I do read to the actual business of living.  And if a text seems to have no relevance to my life, then I ignore it.
    Don't know if any of this helps your quest.

6. firstcookbooklady profile image85
    firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

I have read the entire Bible. I find it interesting. From the different people that led up to the birth of Jesus. Jesus's life. Jesus's friends. The betrayal. The events leading to the death of Jesus. His reappearance after 3 days, alive. The New Testament that takes the accounts from the men who were with Jesus and they all give their testimony about the events that took place. What is to happen for 1000 years. What is to happen in the end of times. All fairly interesting stuff to read.

7. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 8 years ago

The Bible. It is an amazing collection of books and contains knowledge and wisdom. It is the greatest bestseller of all times and translated to thousands of languages. The prophecies alone should give anyone pause as to its authenticity.

8. MonetteforJack profile image70
    MonetteforJackposted 8 years ago

I have read the Bible - the English version of the Catholic Bible which includes Apocrypha and Deuteronomicals, and the King James Version.  I also read on lives of Saints and own several prayer booklets and Novenas. When I was much younger, I read these Holy books because it was required in school and at home.  Sure, I gained information.  Now that I'm older, I reread them and it dawned on me that the Holy Book contains everything I need to know about life, about Love, and my solace during troublesome times.  Yes, it changed my thinking, my viewpoints - instead of change, I would rather say it improved my thinking and my viewpoints.

9. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

The Bible, two separate versions
    The Koran, both Saudi translation to English and Ibn Warraq's with commentary
    The Mahabarata watched through a 12 hour PBS special many years ago

10. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

The Bible, Rig Veda, and Tao Te Ching (which is a very easy read!).

11. profile image52
    peter565posted 8 years ago

I have read some bible, I think some teaching of it is very disturbing. Went to Sunday school for a little while when I was a child. I was so sicken by what they teach in it, I debate with the priest right away, a little while later, I rather sit on the ground kicking and screaming then go to church (I was 9). 20 years later, my impression towards the bible have not improve and after reading through it, again, for the first time as an adult, I conclude the bible is a teaching of corruption and have the theory that Christ might be the invention, of power hungry and corrupt people, trying to use religion to secure their power. I know a bit about Buddhism, but that is mostly base on what I heard from the monk and it is just bit and pieces here and there, I don't have a proper understanding towards it, but base on what I know, I am impress. I also read the text of Confucius ideology, with the exception of its ill care for animal right, I do agree with it

12. profile image0
    Commonsensethinkposted 8 years ago

Up to the age of 17 I read large chunks of the Christian Bible (strong Christian family, typical of the North of England at that time) with a heavy emphasis upon the four gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke I read in their entirety).

I have in recent years read chunks of the Koran to see where the controversies come from.

I am married to a Buddhist, as a result of which I occasionally read the teachings of the Buddha (more teaching of lifestyle concepts and actions to follow, and less the recital of events as in the Bible).

And (to be regarded as religion), up to the age of 17 again I read widely on the religious beliefs of ancient Greece ("the Greek myths", but reading them set me on the road to questioning "the Jewish myths" and becoming first of all an agnostic. My atheistic outlook resulted from studies in other areas) and the religious beliefs of the Norsemen ("the Norse myths" - confirmation of the questions resulting from reading the "Greek myths" - i.e. why is one set of myths accepted and why are the others rejected?).

Most of my thinking now revolves around the factual analysis to be found in non-religious texts (reading what Professor Stephen Hawking has to say for example). I have though, from reading the teachings of the Buddha, found elements of philosophy which reinforce my strongly humanitarian principles and concerns.

I would, as ever, separate philosophy from religious dogma though. You do not need to perform rituals to become an honourable and worthwhile person.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)