Can you get all of your nutrition from food? Why or why not?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Gina Welds-Hulse profile image88
    Gina Welds-Hulseposted 7 years ago

Can you get all of your nutrition from food?  Why or why not?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13190976_f260.jpg

2. WiccanSage profile image89
    WiccanSageposted 7 years ago

Depends on the person, and on their diet.

I think an average person with a healthy, balanced diet probably can. Some people might need help, depending on health issues that might cause mal-absorption or deficiencies.

Gina Welds-Hulseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think even with a healthy, balanced diet it is challenging to get all nutrients from food....issues-food additives/processing, soil depletion, pesticides, lack of trace minerals, long distances our food tends to travel before we get it. Thoughts?

2. WiccanSage profile image89
      WiccanSageposted 7 years agoin reply to this

In my mind, a healthy diet doesn't gen. include processed foods. Eating a wide variety of produce from various sources (supermarket, locally grown, organic, frozen even, etc.) helps keep promote balance and overcome what some sources might lack.

3. Gina Welds-Hulse profile image88

I suggested that processed food was an issue/problem.  Check my comment again. I suggested that these issues make it difficult for anyone to have a healthy, balanced diet.

4. profile image0
      Matt Reynoldsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

While I do think that it is 'possible' to get all nutrition from food sources, I think the way food is currently sold makes it difficult/unlikely. More than a few people will have to rely on high-quality supplements, especially if they are deficient.

3. V Greenfield profile image61
    V Greenfieldposted 7 years ago

My husband and I tried juicing and we noticed a big change. It was double the nutrients from a normal balanced meal. I found that I wasn't tired anymore and I felt much healthier.

....and all levels were good after being checked?  B12, Vitamin D, iron, magnesium, CBC, everything?  I do juicing also, and I found that I still was not getting everything. I'm glad it's working for you. Would you like to share some juice blends?

2. V Greenfield profile image61
      V Greenfieldposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I can't really say anything about the vitamin levels, because we didn't check them. We were more using the juicing as a way to lose weight in a healthy way. We juiced two times a day at dinner and breakfast and then ate a normal lunch with eggs+fish.

4. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46
    Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years ago

We all know that vitamin supplements are no substitute for a healthy diet, but nobody's perfect when it comes to healthful eating. It can be particularly challenging to get the nutrients you need if you're dieting or if you avoid animal or dairy products. So, many of us take a daily multivitamin as nutritional insurance. Multivitamins may not be all they're cracked up to be. Moreover, many multivitamins contain some micronutrients in amounts in excess of those recommended in the government's Dietary Guidelines.

The best way to get the nutrients we need is through food. A balanced diet — one containing plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains — offers a mix of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients (some yet to be identified) that collectively meet the body's needs. Maybe what counts is the synergistic interactions of these nutrients — which might also help explain why trials of single nutrients often don't pan out.

Some nutrient-dense foods:

Avocados

Chard, collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach

Bell peppers

Brussels sprouts

Mushrooms (crimini and shiitake)

Baked potatoes

Sweet potatoes

Cantaloupe, papaya, raspberries, strawberries

Low-fat yogurt

Eggs

Seeds (flax, pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower)

Dried beans (garbanzo, kidney, navy, pinto)

Lentils, peas

Almonds, cashews, peanuts

Barley, oats, quinoa, brown rice

Salmon, halibut, cod, scallops, shrimp, tuna

Lean beef, lamb, venison

Chicken, turkey

5. watertiger21 profile image76
    watertiger21posted 7 years ago

I think it depends on quite a few things, including the person themselves. I personally cannot get all my nutrition from food because my intestines don't do their job correctly (darn Crohn's disease).

I agree with that. I have lupus, pernicious anemia and a few others so I have to use supplements.  However, unless we grow our own foods in soil that's not depleted, most of us would have to use supplements, as I don't feel our diet would suffice.

6. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 7 years ago

The case for supplements still rages. If taken, high quality supplements should be used.  Eating foods that introduce more enzymes into our systems and eating more raw foods help us absorb nutrition from food.

You're right.  I was part of a medicinal supplements summit this week and it's so hard, but not impossible, to find high quality supplements. Leaky gut, which many unknowingly suffer from, can prevent a great diet (and even supplements) from working.

7. veganfitspiration profile image66
    veganfitspirationposted 7 years ago

To answer your question simply, yes.  It is possible to meet all of your nutritional needs though food, sunlight and water.  WILL the average person get all their nutrition from food, likely no.  The typical american (western) diet emphasizing processed foods, frozen foods, canned foods, pesticides and GMO's will ultimately disrupt metabolism of certain nutrients.  Additionally,  it is easy to eat enough modern day foods to be full without seeking out nutrient dense foods.  If you consider our ancestors, hunters and gatherers, they needed to constantly be seeking out a variety of foods (whole foods from the earth) to be full.  This is so different from today where people can microwave a processed dinner of fried potatoes and chicken and feel full.  I am a Registered Dietitian and strongly recommend first and foremost a healthy diet to try to meet your nutritional needs.  The synergistic effect of the nutrients mixed in their natural food allow your body to metabolize them best.  If a person is going to buy supplements, PLEASE, buy high quality supplements.  If you buy cheap supplements and think they may be doing at least a little good, wrong.  Cheap supplements made with synthetic nutrients actually cause inflammation in the body.  Excellent question and I hope this answer sheds some light on the topic.

8. Debangee Mandal profile image67
    Debangee Mandalposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13512377_f260.jpg

A good question..
    Even after healthy intake of all kinds of food, people are still suffering from various deficiency disorders.
    We get proteins from- meat, fish .pulses etc.
    Carbohydrates from- rice, wheat, sugars etc.
    Fat from- butter, cheese, vegetable oils, nuts etc.
    Vitamins from- fruits , green leafy vegetables etc.

But what we still lack is one essential -MINERALS (even after intake of various veggies and fruits.)

Women have great risk of calcium deficiency . Even after intake of milk, 1 in 4 women suffer from osteoporosis.

30 % of the population , out of which 50% are children suffer from iron-deficiency anemia.

These instances prove that after the age of 40 , it is necessary that people must take vitamin and mineral supplements to compensate the deficiency. Even though vitamins and minerals are required in minor amounts, they are essential for healthy living.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)