Is it actually possible to say something on Hubpages without bringing God or Jes

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (65 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image59
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

Is it actually possible to say something on Hubpages without bringing God or Jesus into it?

I can't believe someone asked a question that has nothing to do with God and the 'best' answer  was a 'scriptural' response. The world does not revolve around God/Jesus. It revolves around money, dancing, war, washing the dishes, taking the dog for a walk, writing articles for HubPages, making love, shopping, and more.

Do you think it's possible for a discussion to take place on HP without someone bringing god/jesus into it?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13208684_f260.jpg

2. gconeyhiden profile image63
    gconeyhidenposted 7 years ago

No the brainwashed religion crowd has co-opted Hubpages.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image95
      FatFreddysCatposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's why I write mostly about horror movies and heavy metal music, to give the work of Satan equal time around here. wink

2. lanablackmoor profile image81
      lanablackmoorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, even when you bring up different topics, it tends to turn into a proselytizing session for the religious denizens of HP.

3. Alessio Ganci profile image96
      Alessio Ganciposted 7 years agoin reply to this

For me, I write completely different things... fitness, music, movies, technology... religious people cannot put anything in these types of articles wink

If you bring Satan, you are still having a door opened on Religion argument! My articles don't!

3. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 7 years ago

It is a foundational premise of physics that anything is possible(other wise known as the Higgs field). The question to ask is;What is the Probability?To calculate the probability of a non religious conversation at HP you should be familiar with micro fractions...because chances are Real REAL small!
    I always marvel at the ironic regression of religionists from concern for your salvation all the way down to anger and threats of eternal smoke pain and(my favorite)the gnashing of teeth in Hell if you don't 'repent' and agree with them!
    So here's the religious quote for your thread(paraphrased of course)..."When I was a child I Thought as a child,I acted as a child.And I spoke as a child...When I became a Man I Put Away childish things". Some folks never did...you can see them in churches every Sunday...SUN,son?...GET IT?

1. profile image52
      frumpletonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There's an old saying, "Don't talk about politics, religion or sex".  When religious people knock on my door, (haven't in years) I tell them politely that I'm not interested, but have a good day and then I close the door.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

Ha! I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago -- lately it seems like even questions about the most benign subjects are bound to get at least one answer of "Blah blah blah (insert random Bible reference) blah blah blah (another random Bible reference) blah blah GOD!" even if it has nothing to do with the topic at hand!

Report'em just like you would any other spammer or troll!

5. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 7 years ago

Keith.....How simple and sensible it would be if only "reporting" these extremists could solve the problem (or even be helpful). 
    THIS very issue Tess has presented has been a huge problem (annoyance) since day one of HP.  Even making an effort to avoid any & all hubs, forums or Q&A under the "religion, faith, spirituality" topic heading does not guarantee we're safe from the self-proclaimed preacher/bible banger/Holier than thou groups.  As mentioned, they somehow manage to quote scripture & damn people to the Lake of Fire (!!) despite the topic being camping, entertainment, fashion or sports.  They are obsessed and determined (perhaps even possessed). 
    My major legitimate complaint is HP ignores it all and even goes so far as to take NO action to admonish these people when reported or flagged.  ZERO.  HP must be afraid of something where these whackos are concerned.  People are banned for personal attacks, harassment & other such rule-breakers but our scripture screechers can use caps and rant, rave and scream at people, damning them to hell, calling them Satan, stupid, evil, spewing hate at them.....and this is all perfectly OK.
    Something wrong with this picture.

TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I asked Robyn Edmonton at a Hubpage Camp in Houston about why they tolerated all the religious garbage. Her answer was "Well, they seem to like it." Either they are religious themselves or they fear losing too many contributor.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are SO MANY religious questions here it isn't funny.   This is beyond ridiculous.   Even the non-religious questions are having a religious spin.  It's good to IGNORE such questions & the people who ask them, I DO!

3. TessSchlesinger profile image59

I go one further now. I delete all religious comments from my hub and have so far deleted two comments from here. It's not even worth talking about anymore.

4. Misfit Chick profile image74
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, it doesn't seem new to me at all, but neverending - everyone is just regurgitating their opinions over & over; trying to find ways to make people 'believe in their truth' cuz misery loves company, I guess - ha!

5. Alessio Ganci profile image96

I suspect they fear losing contributors.... so sad about this
      I hope HP will get better quality in the future

6. TessSchlesinger profile image59

Alessio Ganci I'm willing to bet that HP could quite easily forbid religious talk and that they wouldn't lose contributors. If those contributors are earning money, they will stay. If they aren't, they're useless anyway.

6. PlanksandNails profile image80
    PlanksandNailsposted 7 years ago

The answer to your question depends on what HubPages category the question was posted. Was it posted in the Religion & Philosophy category? If it was, it is to be expected that God and Jesus will be brought up in dialogue when someone answers the question.

Not true. I am an atheist and I get religious comments on my hub, and I don't go near the forums because of the religious torrents.

2. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what it is in my comment that is not true. Is it not stated in your your question that it was about a certain question that was given a "best" answer? Was the question posted in the Religion & Philosophy category, or not?

3. TessSchlesinger profile image59

Your comment does not answer the question and is about to be deleted. The category is simply what HP demands.

4. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I understand now what you are doing. Yes, feel free to delete. Have a good day.

fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

P & N....Tessa stated clearly in her Q. that an answer with "scripture" in it was chosen as BEST ans. even tho the Q had absolutely nothing to do with God. The crux of her Q was why must people use religion for everything? Read, next time.

7. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7970833_f260.jpg

Of course, one can discuss subject matter without obsessing about religion.  However, to some people, religion is the be and end all to everything.  They contend that religion is #1 when money is actually #1.  One can survive without religion but one can't survive without money.

1. fpherj48 profile image59

Arghhhh!  I think I am running low on patience and tolerance.  Maybe I need a break!  I'm also way beyond all the Political vitriol. People are like wanting to kill one another 4 their political slant!  How stupid! I should take a nap!

2. gmwilliams profile image84

I have been taking a semi-break from the Q&A, consolidating my photo albums.  I went from 500 albums to 132 albums.  I think I am going to take a week's rest.

3. fpherj48 profile image59

Sounds like a very good idea.  I may join you!

4. TessSchlesinger profile image59

Hi Grace, not that it's part of the topic, but I spent 5 days while in Scotland scanning 100 years of photos and now, apart from a precious few, on are disk! smile

8. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

I'm sick of these religious talks. The more I see them, the more turned off I get for the subject.

I don't want to disrespect anyone who believes in something but these Bible thumpers need to relax. I don't need to see multiple scriptures across these boards, there are so many issues with the Bible that I can't even begin to discuss.

I didn't realize Hubpages was Bible camp.

So basically non-believers are being harrassed by believers. I left about 5 years ago because of it. I have to conclude that the owners are either religious or they don't care or they think.ot is good for business.

2. Misfit Chick profile image74
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think there are so many bcuz there are so many variations of religious beliefs - especially Christian ones. And gosh, we all have to prove our points. I like to throw them all off-balance with lopsided opinions both atheists & Christians hate,

3. gmwilliams profile image84

@Tess, the owners aren't so much religious but they believe that such questions are good for business.  They know that there are those out there who are of the religious persuasion.

4. fpherj48 profile image59

Why can some people NOT read a Q. correctly? THIS Q. is in the "religious" topic. Tessa asked why an A. w/ scripture was chosen BEST ans. when the Q. had nothing 2 do w/ God.& not under Religion heading!!  READ, people!  Get it??

In other words: Why do people insist on quoting scripture 2 answer a question that has NOTHING 2 do w/ God or religion. My question is Y is this so hard 4 people 2 read correctly? BTW..even Xtians R offended by bible thumpers! Where have U been?

6. fpherj48 profile image59

Yves, I doubt she deletes anyone unless they insult her. She doesn't delete simply bcuz someone is a believer, or she'd have deleted me.  She did delete me once for being sarcastic, but it didn't bother me bcuz I meant 2 B!!  LOL

7. TessSchlesinger profile image59

Paula, I delete when things are off topic. The question is whether it's possible on hubpages to answer someething without bringing God/Jesus into it. People who point out other things are off-topic.

8. Alessio Ganci profile image96

The owners are simply making money: if there are a lot of religionists, they are acting good by allowing them... good for their business obviously!
      Because I think it is a shame these are harrassing non-believers like me

9. lanablackmoor profile image81
    lanablackmoorposted 7 years ago

I have always wondered this! lol Sometimes you'd think it was specifically a Christian site.... I have another account where I discuss religion (non-Christian) and it always has to go back to Christianity. I don't mind discussing it in its proper context (I have a degree from one of the top Christian universities in the country, so I'm not one to shy away from a good theology debate) but it gets exhausting to constantly have to steer things back on topic. Answering the same "religious tolerance 101" questions on every Hub and Q&A thread prevents any deeper discussion from taking place.

1. lanablackmoor profile image81

I forgot to note that this seems to be something that's worsened considerably over the last couple of years. I don't remember quite as much nonsense when I first joined.

2. Sam Shepards profile image92
      Sam Shepardsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Have a similar experience here as a European. The section Religion & Philosophy contains near 0 standard philosophy and in general it feels very religious here. Social, political and other issues are answered with ancient religious dogma. smile

3. lanablackmoor profile image81

Yes! It is so frustrating when you really want to have an in-depth conversation but everyone is talking on a surface level, reciting the dogma they heard this Sunday. It gets boring.

10. Let-freedom-rigng profile image61
    Let-freedom-rigngposted 7 years ago

Religion and Philosophy  is what I see at the top of this page.

1. fpherj48 profile image59

RIGHT! Janice...ON TOP OF THIS PAGE!  Tessa's Question refers 2 an A to a Q. having nothing 2 do w/ the topic of God or religion. READ HER Q AGAIN!!  Good grief!!

2. Let-freedom-rigng profile image61
      Let-freedom-rigngposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would think she would post it under a different topic than:  Religion and Philosophy    I do understand what you are saying though. And I am also trying to remove myself from this question as well. Because I don't want to offend.

3. fpherj48 profile image59

I hear you......I assume she wanted full attention of the "believers" who would be the ones who post scripture all the time. when answering a Question. It;s like that's all they know & can't complete a thought of their own.

4. TessSchlesinger profile image59

Can you please indicate which category I should have posted it under?? Politics? IT? Babycare? Religion AND Philosophy was the only option and as the question had to do with religion, that is the correct category.

11. Glenis Rix profile image95
    Glenis Rixposted 7 years ago

'Religion is the opiate of the masses'. Hope that answers your question in a succinct manner.

12. Alessio Ganci profile image96
    Alessio Ganciposted 7 years ago

I think the SAME thing, I do not believe someone else would have said that! Religion is everywhere in this site, and I don't realize why... HubPages should be a big project open to everyone in the world, but Religion & Philosophy remain the two hottest topics among with USA Politics.

I am not interested in Religion and I tend to ignore all these religious debates (instead I am more interested in Politics, but I am not from the USA, so at the end... this should be an international website, it is not open only to USA people), so that is okay however I am sad about this network, as being open to everyone does not mean talking about Religion every time. But obviously users who want to do that have all the rights to do this, so I just ignore the topics I don't like.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image91
      Chriswillman90posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I get why people enjoy the political debates, luckily the worst will be over in a month and a half. Unfortunately the same can't be said for religious extremists. I'm glad these niche sites exist bc Hubpages would've been rotting away right now.

2. profile image52

I'm glad we don't live in the 14th century.  They used to burn people at the stake if you didn't act religious.  The crusades killed thousands, in the name of God.

13. profile image52
    frumpletonposted 7 years ago

I think a lot of people are afraid nowadays, with all the crime and wars.  When people feel overwhelmed and helpless, they usually turn to what they believe is a higher being who can help.  I'm not particularly religious.  I believe in God, but I don't preach or even go to church.  I don't think that is necessary, because our creator already knows us.  Praying never usually works for me, so I don't do it much anymore.  But I think religious people mean well.  I agree with you, that religious talk shouldn't be on other hub pages -- only in the religious hub pages.

I get that people who are helpless in the face of events turn to a god. However, making every conversation about god, especially to people who don't believe in god, is both rude and irritating.

2. Sam Shepards profile image92

Don't really think it is that. In the 'normal' world around me I don't see an increase. Here it seems it is the platform the bible belt. What does scripture say?

3. profile image52

Yes, it is, but to them, they think they are saving your soul if they can convert you.  I have a religious friend that I've known for almost 40 years.  She used to preach at me.  I finally told her I didn't believe in her religion.

14. StephanieWeemhoff profile image64
    StephanieWeemhoffposted 7 years ago

It is such a large part of a worldview and infiltrates all areas of one's life. Also, I think people are trying to use Hubpages as a platform for witnessing Christ's love to others. It is important to them, so they want to share. It takes courage to do this, but also respect to know that it should not be forced on people. I do think many people are good-willed and are just trying to share a large part of where they find purpose and comfort.

1. Alessio Ganci profile image96

I think everyone is free to have their own beliefs, but forcedly sharing this everywhere, else in places in which religious does not have any affinity, even to people who are not interested in it, I think it is unrespectful for other people.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image59

It is the height of rudeness and insensitivity to consistently force one's belief on others. And it is a disgrace that preachers are brainwashing their flock to do so. It has nothing to do with courage. It is a result of brainwashing.

15. triciajean profile image65
    triciajeanposted 7 years ago

I am okay with mention of philosophical/religious questions such as Who am I/  How am I supposed to live? /  What happens when I die?  But these questions can be pursued along many paths.  The answers come with experience, one's own experience, not from having another writer say what everyone's path should be.  I find it helps to observe life directly, and that's where all the other topics come in.  So I agree, comments should be relevant to the topic.  And all comments should respect the dignity of writers and readers around the world.

I have enjoyed the many comments to this question.  A lot of wise comments.

1. Sam Shepards profile image92

Not every philosophical question needs to be answered from a religious viewpoint... I guess this is mostly an American thing or lets say not a European one. There is the different between respecting a person and respecting a viewpoint.

16. jbamsOB80 profile image61
    jbamsOB80posted 7 years ago

I am sure that it's possible under the correct circumstances, but what those might be I have no idea. Maybe I should pray on it to get the answer?

17. Gypzeerose profile image75
    Gypzeeroseposted 7 years ago

I would love to see it. It has been one reason that I have struggled with Hubpages.

18. RachaelLefler profile image91
    RachaelLeflerposted 7 years ago

"The world does not revolve around God/Jesus." Well the problem with saying that, is maybe to you and me and other irreligious people. But to religious believers, everything does revolve around God. The Christian is taught to make God the very center of his or her life, the foundation of their marriage, the center of their family. Their religious beliefs will impact every decision they make about the important things in life like war and dancing. Maybe even how to write on Hubpages! Who knows. The point is, you're basically assuming they have the same worldview as you, and they don't.

1. RachaelLefler profile image91
      RachaelLeflerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It IS a bit annoying that it's all I see when I go to HubPages, but then again, my stuff mostly gets sent to ReelRundown now anyway.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image59

Christ went outside the cities to preach, and the people went to him. He did NOT force his message on all and sundry. Also render unto Caesar what Is Caesars (the internet is Caesars) and unto God what is Gods.

19. MovieMatt profile image34
    MovieMattposted 7 years ago

That is quite comical Tessa. Last time I checked the world revolved around the sun.

Matt how is your answer relevant to the question?

20. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

Now it can be said that if Jesus is in someones life that that would be the lens with which some people view the world. In actuality many people do this but do not need to share that with everyone every time. I do see life that way but jumping on people about it seems counter productive to me. I write this series called Eric's Sunday Sermon. I rarely use the name Jesus Christ or quote much scripture. But I think it quite obvious that I use much of the theological stuff in just the theories that I discuss. For instance I believe God is Love. So I say that but I do note cite 1John 4:8.
    I would say something like it is wrong of us to desire what is another man's. It would seem that talking about helping the homeless or trying to fathom the crux of the universe are good endeavors, with much of the questions coming from the Bible.
    But a 2,000 character response citing the Bible 14 times seems unseemly if the question is about how the drought effects our state.
    I have these great 4 children and a wife. I have been a virtual and a cyber preacherman. They question me about things like relationships, work and how things work. I might say something like "turn your cheek 70 times and then offer them the other one to smack" Just last night my adult atheist nephew asked me about his career plans. I started by warning him that man plans and God laughs. And then moved on that love is what is important -- he must find something that he loves.

All that to say if someone really concerned about a matter and sees some guidance from scripture and Jesus. And if you really know your scripture you can say your truth by understanding the Bible not showing off by quoting. "Religion" must be a way of life not empty words quoted to try and "prove" a point. Everyone has something inside them that keeps them alive and it is perfectly cool to say it is the heart - and let your friend decide if it figurative or science.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)