What is your definition of "elite"?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 7 years ago

What is your definition of "elite"?

"Elite" in political, sociological theory refers to "a small group of powerful people who control a disproportionate amount of wealth,privilege or political power in a society." Since a large portion of Democrats are of lower economic status-teachers, nurses, union supporters, students, laborers, isn't the use of the term when referring to their views as "elitist" totally wrong? When did "knowledgeable," "informed," "well-read" "educated" become to be known as "elite"?My mother died with $3000 in the bank, no property, no assets, yet she could quote Tennyson. Would you call her "elite"? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13264339_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 7 years ago

The definition would alter within nuances of context, but specifically addressing your explanation reminds me of the curiousness of what the USA faces politically.  The fact that "a large portion of Democrats are of lower economic status" and those who want more "wealth, privilege or political power" for themselves off of the backs of that large portion of Democrats is intriguing.  Why these of so-called "lower economic status" cannot see the connection is rather mind-boggling. 

The truly lowest economic status people in this country are far better off than people in many, many other countries.  This country is filled with opportunity to work, start a business, get more education if a person is willing to go after it.

To say that teachers, nurses, and laborers are of lower economic status is rather disorienting in the grand scheme of things.  It's true, they aren't usually millionaires, but many make a satisfying life out of following their passion.  To me, that makes them elite, though they may or may not be able to quote Tennyson.  (Perhaps they like the grand work of C.S. Lewis better.)

These elite are people who need a government that will minimize its control, its delving into their personal lives, and its suppression of their efforts to improve their lives and their other freedoms.  They need a government that will stick to the U. S. Constitution rather than try to reshape and destroy it. 

They do not need the elite ("a small group of powerful people who control a disproportionate amount of wealth, privilege or political power in a society") of any political party (seen so clearly in the Democratic party's leadership) gaining more crushing power.  The choices we face may not b what we like, but there is at least some promise when one side steps up to the issues and makes a choice like someone with a record of success like Pence's as a close advisor.

Billie Kelpinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

very articulate and well-thought out comment that I couldn't disagree with more - especially the Pence part !  The fact that those who represent the lower class, themselves have privilege and money doesn't warrant calling the supporters "elitist".

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Calling the so-called lower class supporters elitist definitely isn't the correct terminology. Elitist leaders gain followers who do not understand that they need less government.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image84

RTalloni, Thank you for checking in. However, followers of so-called elitist leaders,no matter what their social class r called elitist. A "gentleman"asked what car I drove.  "A Prius". I said. "I hate elitist Prius drivers," as he got into his F150.

4. profile image0

The Q asked what I thought of the word elite. If we let name calling bother us we give the name callers power over us. Abe Lincoln: You may say a dog has five legs if you call the tail a leg, but that doesn't make the tail a leg.

5. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

pence is the most anti abortion ruler out there, doesnt agree with gay rights, and makes laws accordingly. how is preventing women from a medical procedure, and deciding who has rights or not less gvt control? its religious control-by the gvt!

3. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 7 years ago

i would say a billionaire who doesnt pay taxes. as leona helmsley said, only the little people pay taxes. who can argue with that?

Thanks Leslie - I'm there with you!

2. lovemychris profile image76

do yourself a favor...go to propane jane on twitter and read her feed. omg, like the air i breathe!!

Leslie - just went there and followed !  love it! "They're mad that Obama's recovery didn't carve out a special upper Titanic deck specifically for White dudes who are obsessed w/Reaganomics." Plus, they're blaming Obama for the iceberg they created.

4. lovemychris profile image76

white privilege, male privilege....all crashing down.

4. lions44 profile image95
    lions44posted 7 years ago

Elites are those who have privilege bestowed on them, like Donald Trump.

As a Never Trump Republican, I have been called "elite" or "elitist" for over a year by his followers.  As a working class kid from the Bronx, it drives me crazy. If being educated and having a global outlook is considered a pejorative, we're in trouble.  Negotiating across the aisle is now considered being an elitist (or sellout).  So is knowledge of foreign affairs.

Very reminiscent of the isolationist, "America First" crowd prior to WWII.  I hope all this ends soon.

I'm with you CJ Thank you for your thoughtful comment!

5. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12739046_f260.jpg

Elite is really a symptomology of class prejudice.  It is the mindset, mentality, & psychology, even projected envy towards those who are more educated & socioeconomically successful.  It is a reflection of the anti-achievement & anti-success mindset that some people possess, believing that those who are more educated & success are not real people like they are & "are better" than they are.

There are really no elites.  Some people have the drive to be highly successful & educated.  They have the potential to achieve the highest levels of success.  Many of these people come from very humble backgrounds but they refuse to permit their humble backgrounds to preclude them from achieving the optimal levels of success.  They also have a positive attitude towards education, achievement, & success.  They observed & studied other successful people, wanting to be like them. 

There are people who have potentials to achieve but received negative inculcation from their family & peer group members telling them not to strive too high for success because they become self-important & alienate the former.  They were furthermore informed that they will "lose their essence" if they become too successful. They are told to be happy & satisfied w/their life as is.  They are even told that highly successful people deep inside "aren't really happy".  Some people have been indoctrinated that to reach high levels of success is somehow wrong, even evil.

So the wording elite is used out of envy of the more educated & successful among us.   It is the subconscious fear, even hatred of achievement & success.  It is furthermore the fear of being extraordinary.  It is far more easier to be average, ordinary, & totally nondescript.  The premise is while it is good to be successful, it isn't good to be.......TOO SUCCESSFUL.

Extremely insightful, Grace. "Don't be too uppity" was an old phrase.  Kids get a message that college will separate them from the family. It's Archie Bunker and "Meathead" all over again.Thankful the children whose parents learn/grow WITH them

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for selecting my answer.

How could I not?  It is well-deserved.  Cheers, Billie

6. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Democrats are split between the ultra-rich and powerful, the very poor who want the handouts in exchange for a vote, and the people who want to be functionaries. Most social justice warriors, for example, all want to be middle managers and bureaucrats controlling what people can do - some want to be upper class but most just want to be permit-rajahs, middle class but politically powerful over their peers.

I'd be proud to be called a social justice warrior, yet I worked in a field wanting no rank,no power. We wanted "justice" for our students -rights to have interpreters, a level field for 1st generation, low income, special need students.That's all

2. profile image0

TW: Statistics prove the split you mention. They've done a great job of convincing followers that they can't do without government control of their lives. By calling it helping they've made followers dependent.

RT,No I couldn't do w/o the help o my Congress person when a release of liability from our old house didn't happen the day we were to move into the new No I couldn't do w/o the help of govt student loans or VA who housed my mentally ill dad for yrs.

4. profile image0

BK: It's important to note that less invasive government is not the same as no government.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)