Help me brainstorm a topic for a presentation for class. :)

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I have to take a few language classes for my degree and decided to pursue Spanish since I had it in high school.  This semester, I have to do a 30 minute presentation on a topic that relates to Spanish culture.

Worst comes to worst, I'll just do an overview of a country.
    However, I'd like to do something a bit more focused and creative. I'm really annoyed because I can usually think of great topics for projects like this, but I think this is so tricky because there are literally hundreds of thousands of topics that I could choose... ahhhh!

So, any suggestions for a VERY indecisive girl would be very much appreciated! smile

Also, g2g to bed, but I will check back on here tomorrow. Thanks in advance! big_smile

1. greathub profile image63
      greathubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can deliver presentations about about:

-Bull fighting
      -Spanish Fashion
      -Spanish history

-History of spanish language itself e.g. words borrowed from other langauges like word dinero was taken from arabic word dinar.

-Spanish products that are famous all over the world. How they became famous, why they became famous.

-spanish social habits or customs.

- spanish have a tomato festival every year. you can persent that also.

- there are customs and traditions in every country that are "exotic" for people of other countries. you can search those customs.

Hope this helps!

2. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You could do something about the quinceanera bash that girls have in hispanic countries.  Or something about Las Dias de los Muertos.  Interestingly enough they practice a from of that in the Philippines.  A third topic could be the emphasis the Mexican people put on saints and angels and how the Church used them to supplant belief in the old Aztec gods. 

I know it's all Mexican dominated, but that's what I know best.  Anyway good luck.

3. stoneangel444 profile image59
      stoneangel444posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you by chance considered drawing a conparison between the spanish culture and language to that of other countries? I have always found it interesting that people who speak more than one language adapt to other languages and cultures more freely.Hope this gives rise to some inspiration.

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

you could do a food themed presentation. we did one in german class where we brought in different deserts that they serve.

1. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Someone did this for my Soc. class last semester - it was so much fun!

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

http://www.coined-spain.org/blog/uploaded_images/p_61_La-Sagrada-Familia-barcelon-765232.jpg

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, great picture. Is this in Barcelona?

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, it's Sagrada Familia smile

1. Michael Willis profile image68
          Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is an awesome architecture design.

1. Misha profile image62
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's why I suggested it here. If someone says Spain, this is the first thing that comes to my mind. smile

1. profile image0
              Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well that and tapas and sangria! smile

2. rmcrayne profile image90
              rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lots of drama in that photo Misha, but the good kind smile

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

Spanish folk art is really interesting, and really colorful. or music or even food. i have this thing hanging on my door of my bedroom - it is los corona des flores ...i'm sure you know what that means. anyway, i think things like the history or meaning of objects like that would make for an interesting talk. good luck. i'm out of here too my head is about to split in two!

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Food always makes you very popular. smile You could have samples of different styles of Tapas and red wines! ...the nightlife is supposed to be really cool and different from here, given the structure of their day.

Also, you know Elena, a hubber here, is from Spain. You could interview her.

5. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 14 years ago

How much time do you have, is it due right away, have they given writen guidelines?

6. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

All I can think of is Bullfighting and Spanish Rice-GOOD LUCK gg!

7. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

History of the Alhambra
    Malaga, great beach town and hometown of Antonio Banderas
    Impact of US Navy presence on local culture
    Flamenco dancing
    Running of the bulls
    Why does most of the world’s sherry come from Jerez
    Gypsies in Spain
    Siesta
    Toledo gold
    Lladro (Valencia)
    Ronda city with wall and ravine
    Arcos cliff town

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

8. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Wow....thanks to ALL for the awesome ideas. big_smile I definitely see a bunch that have inspired me...I'm late for a class now, but can't wait to come back on here and look into these ideas further.

Thank you!!!

9. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Girly_girl, is your presentation going to be in Spanish? If so, you need to present on something you have the vocabulary to talk about.

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thankfully, no. This is Spanish 101. big_smile I speak enough conversational Spanish because of high school, so I could take a pleasant vacation (or do a presentation on a dream vacation), however speaking non-stop 30 minutes in the language would be challenging at this point. big_smile

10. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Spanish dance and music.

11. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Yeah, it would be challenging, but it would be better for your progress in language acquisition!

12. SweetiePie profile image80
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Why not do a presentation on Rapa Nui (Easter Island).  I did that in my Spanish class, which was an original idea no one else came up with.  You could discuss how the people of Easter Island have lost much of their native Polynesian language to Spanish, and how they are trying to teach the younger generation the language once more.  Easter Island is quite a fascinating place.

13. torimari profile image69
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I had to do something like this for Italian class, and I did mine on Italian cinema/films. I've seen a few Spanish films too, and like Italian, they are quite different than American films. It may be worth noting and will be fun exploring.

And, in a good way. They tend to evoke much more emotion and meaning with simple plots of everyday life occurences. At least, the ones I've seen...and maybe I felt so because they were similar to Italian movies which are traditionally like what I described (Il Postino, Cinema Paradiso, La Vita e' Bella...). I know my experience is with my Italian college classes, but I felt this subject was similar to my presentation...except Spanish. smile Sorry I can't make many suggestions other than like...Pan's Labirynth.

Just a thought!

14. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

How about Spanish dancing? That's colourful and interesting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)