James Comey just admitted he was a "leaker" to the media - should he be arrested

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 6 years ago

James Comey just admitted he was a "leaker" to the media - should he be arrested?

James Comey has been testifying today and in the course of his testimony has exonerated President Trump, made it clear that the President was never under investigation, and in a surprising revelation admitted it was he who leaked information to the press.  Furthermore, he brought "obstruction" into the conversation with the Loretta Lynch/Bill Clinton tarmac meeting.  Sounds like a another disaster for the Democrats.  Thoughts?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13563210_f260.jpg

2. Carolyn M Fields profile image88
    Carolyn M Fieldsposted 6 years ago

The democrats will NOT see it that way. They will "spin" on the portion of his testimony where he claims he documented his private conversations with President Trump, because he was concerned that the POTUS would LIE about it later. I think that's slander and defamation of the President's character, but the Dems will LOVE that, and play it up. Just watch. They will IGNORE the fact that Comey actually said that President Trump never actually directed him to stop the investigation into Flynn.The press (NPR, CNBC, et al) have already put out headlines claiming to the contrary - that loayalty MUST have meant to stop investigating.
    The left will see what they want to see, and the right will see what they want to see.
    I can't watch any more.

RJ Schwartzposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think this is the first time a sitting President has ever been called a liar in front of a Congressional hearing - imagine if someone had called Obama a liar - the world would still be on fire over it.

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, I seem to remember Congressman Joe Wilson (R) screaming "YOU LIE!" at President Obama, during a speech to a joint session of Congress.

So, is the world still on fire?

3. RJ Schwartz profile image87

Thanks for offering this piece of information Lisa - I can always count on you to help keep the discussion factual as possible

4. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Trump is a chronic liar and a scammer, everyone know this except you. He won 'liar of the year' in 2015

5. RJ Schwartz profile image87

Hate him all you like ptosis - that's your right as an American citizen.  I wasn't aware America had an official designation for liar of the year.  Did Bill Clinton or Obama get the award over their whoppers?

6. ptosis profile image68

PolitiFact awarded Donald Trump its 'Liar of the Year' in 2015.   The Lie of the Year for 2013 was "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it,"

7. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Carolyn, Thumb up. The right will see what they want to see, but they have evidence, the left doesn't. Evidence: Fact, Comey Admitted Leaking, intent of leak, he dn provide orig memos, which is FBI property He leaked b4. He gave NO evid ag Trump!

3. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 6 years ago

Comey testified that he gave a memo, which he wrote, and did not contain any classified information, to a friend at Columbia, with the intention that his friend should give it to the press.

There is nothing illegal about giving something you wrote yourself to the press. Comey couldn't be arrested for this, because he didn't break any laws.

How about unauthorized disclosure of privileged communications with the president?  At least that's what Trump's lawyer accused Comey of after today's admission of the Comey Leak...

2. ptosis profile image68

Unlikely that executive privilege will be applicable here, as Trump has publicly spoken about it thereby the Prez declassified it by his own actions. (again)

3. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Privileged communication exists between doctor and patient, lawyer and client, priest and penitent, husband and wife. On what planet is unclassified conversation between the President and the FBI director privileged? That won't fly.

4. lovemychris profile image75
      lovemychrisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Trumpland, where sharing classified info with russia is fine and dandy, too.

lovemychrisposted 6 years ago

How could that be? Fbi been investigating him since july. Maybe you have terms mixed up. Trump is under criminal investigation. Rico. Remember? Dems wondering why comey leaked hillary/huma bs, but didnt mention trump. Oh, and if were arresting leakers, start w chaffetts. He removed classified label from comey letter and tweeted it out to the world. How about nunes! He leaked classified info to trump. Sessions! Hullo. Ooops, i forgot hes ag of trump inc, not america. Buh bye all of you. Twas not nice knowin' ya!

No Chris - the President has NOT been under investigation for anything criminal - Comey admitted it under oath today.  Maybe you have your terms mixed up...

2. lovemychris profile image75

Trump admn under investigation since july. Evan osnos, new yorker magazine. Dont you remember people asking why he leaked on hillary, but was silent on trump? Read the article.

5. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13563432_f260.jpg

Arrested for what? What are you charging him with?

He did not 'exonerate' the Teflon Don in anyway. Not investigating if there is an investigation silly. Investigating an attempt to cover up and make this 'thing' cloud of Flynn 'go away' is what is being  investigated here.

How about unauthorized disclosure of privileged communications with the president?  He created those notes while acting in an official role, thus making them official and most likely classified documents....

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

ptosis
      Seriously. Game over, your side lost, and to the victors go the spoils. Nothing pres Trump did was unethical, immoral much less criminal

Comey made himself less credible by not correcting the memo he leaked. He only corrected it 4 the hearing

3. RJ Schwartz profile image87

Comey would be better off by simply fading away into obscurity; his moment in the sun left him burnt and blistered...

Hell be the hero in this. Despite his giving the election to trump, he stood up to him in the end. Tell the truth and shame the devil.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

ptosis
      Communications with the president is dejure classified. That is just the way it is, and Comey leaked the memo, and I believe it was not correctly posted by the newspaper,, and Comey dn correct it until he had to go to the Senate hearing.

6. RJ Schwartz profile image87

But the memo isn't on the FBI server - if it exists at all

6. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 6 years ago

If Comey wrote a memo in his official position as FBI director, it is not HIS to do with what he wants. The position of FBI director does not include creating memos for leaking to the media. This is just one of many reasons Trump did the right thing by firing Comey.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Mike. I agree. It is a work product, and therefore belongs to the FBI not him. He admits he leaked this one, but did he leak any others. Does anyone know what Comey and Mueller discussed?

2. RJ Schwartz profile image87

Notice his friend has gone into hiding and it's rumored Comey has leaked to him before

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

I think there are a lot of dots that need connecting centering on Comey. A big dot is why did Splc Mueller talk with him before the hearing. Sort of like Bill Clinton and Loretta Lynch? He dn provide best evidence, actual FBI orig of his memos,

7. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 6 years ago

Very interesting subject. "I wrote a memo on FBI computer, on FBI time, to cover my butt and without proof of the matters therein asserted and serruptiously got it to the press in order to further my own agenda and not that of the FBI's".
    "I was afraid in face to face meetings so I sat in my car and wrote things up that I was too intimidated to say face to face"
    "I at no time complied with 18 USC 4 because I did not 'feel' I could do it because I was so scared"
    "I did not 'feel' strong enough to do my job in the face of those that might argue with me".
    "I am such a victim here, I was bullied by Lynch and Trump".

I am not clear on the classification of self serving memos written about clearly confidential meetings.
    But it sure looks like this sissy wrote them up for the specific purpose of harming his commander and chief. Comey is a lawyer. Comey works for Trump. Therefor Comey is Trump's lawyer. Totally privileged stuff here.

But it's not on the FBI servers.....wonder why ?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

What I got out of the hearing was that Comey was biased and working against the country, and the people. The FBI record disagrees with Comey's statement about the honor of the FBI. Look at the best example against that in the J Edgar Hoover yrs.

8. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12929193_f260.jpg

Comey should definitely be investigated, going all the way back to the beginning of the election campaign. And as ties or connections become visible they should be included in the investigated, The latest part of that investigation should go to the Comey Mueller meeting right before he testified before the Senate Intelligence Hearing.
    Comey has never actually turned over the alleged Originals of those Memos, and he has been requested by the Senate to turn it over to them.

The Hillary Clinton FBI MATTER was never an investigation. There was no indication or facts that a bonafide FBI investigation existed. Hillary Clinton was never put under Oath, her testimony was not recorded. Not even a Comey memorandum of it. Hillary's staff was given immunity but provided no testimony. And the staff refused to attend the congressional hearing. In addition, the Clinton private server was not turned over to congress. And while there was a pending Subpoena Duces Tecum for the servers, Hillary Clinton deleted over 30,000 emails. And then her IT person went online asking how to perform a total and effective removal of all information on the servers. So using Bleach Bit program this was accomplished.

Why was this never called obstruction of justice, or even contempt of congress. This BleachBit is certainly an indication of Intent, even though intent was not needed for Gross Negligence of Classified Info.

Comey closed then opened, and finally closed again, the alleged investigation of the Clinton emails. He did this outside of the scope of his position as director of the FBI, as it was an action then is reserved for the Dept of Justice.

My point is that Comey's admitted leaking should only be the tip of why he should be investigated. How many other leaks from the FBI can be followed back to him or his "friends"?
    del if u wsh

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)