I'd like feedback on my article: Vegans Can Eat Meat: Here's Why

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Astralrose profile image89
    Astralroseposted 6 years ago

Hello Fellow Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article Vegans Can Eat Meat: Here's Why. What can I do to improve? Thank you!

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Astralrose I do not think the article did not pass the QAP because of the awkward phrasing, but of course it does help to clear that up as chasmac suggests. The main problem with the article that I saw is that it kind of rambles. It is more like a blog post. The article should tell you why vegans can eat meat, not just raise a lot of questions. I thought that the article raised a lot more questions than were answered.
      Compare it to your article on babies crying. That article answers the question in the title, tells us why they are crying, and has clear methods you can use on how to get a baby to cry less. If this article is going to pass QAP and get decent traffic, you should set it up in a form that is more reader friendly and answers the question in the title. You could save a lot of it, but then again a lot of it will probably need to be written again. (Maybe your subtitles could be bullet points, and then later down in the article you could go over them in more detail.)
      Also, subtitles now need to be written in APA title case.
      Best of luck with this.

Astralroseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I want it to be like a blog post. It is allowed here, right? How about revising the title, will it help?

HP has approved some blog type posts in the past, so I cannot tell you for sure that they would not accept it, but this is a business, and they want magazine type articles. This is a business, and if it is not set up like a magazine type article it will probably not get much traffic. No traffic=no money for you OR for the company. That is the reality of the situation.
          I am not sure about changing the title. I do that all the time if an article I have written is not getting great traffic, but if the new title does not fit the article well I will have to rewrite it.

I appreciate your feedback. I'm aware of the situation. If I have a business I would want it to be profitable, too, so, I'll think about rewriting it. I just can't seem to figure out where or how to start. Lol.
            Thank you very much!

I am not a vegan but if I were to write this I would want people to know if vegans are expected to eat only carrion-if they do want meat. One of my guinea fowl was out in the road a week or so ago and was hit by a motorcycle. I would never eat him. Another villager came by later and took him home to cook him. 
              Is that okay by vegan standards? When can vegans eat meat?

The state or condition (fresh or decaying) of the flesh is not a concern of veganism. It is really a matter of personal choice if a vegan chooses to eat a carrion.
                Regarding that scenario, vegans will not eat it but probably would choose to feed the dead fowl to a carnivore or keep off the road for other creatures (ex. worms)  to feast on. The only meat vegans can eat is the meat of an animal that died of natural causes like old age, and that too, an animal that has lived in health and freedom, or perhaps some of the remains (not all of it) of a lion's fresh kill, or one that died from an illness.

So, should I include this writing in the article?

Yes, that is a very interesting reply. I think it would help your readers understand better if you elaborated more on this subject in your article. Thanks for the reply.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The introductory biography on that article says you are an "Animal Rights Abolitionist"... so you want to abolish animal rights? Did you mean to say advocate or activist?

No, it just means that I take the abolitionist approach to animal rights such as rejecting all animal exploitation and rejecting the regulation of animal exploitation; it is basing only on animal sentience and no other cognitive characteristic. It also regards veganism as the moral baseline of the animal rights position and rejects all violence.

But, you're right. I should change that word. It sounds like I want to abolish animal rights. Thank you.

2. chasmac profile image90
    chasmacposted 6 years ago

Interesting article, but you have quite a bit of awkward phrasing that needs improving.

"Veganism is not about not to eat meat". See how awkward that looks and sounds? "Veganism is not about not eating meat" is more grammatically correct, but still awkward because of the double negative. "Veganism is not about avoiding the consumption of meat." is better.

The next sentence is "Meat is once a living being who didn't want to die..."
    Your meaning is clear but the phrasing is again awkward and technically not correct. Unless a particular piece of meat is a whole animal, such as a chicken, you can't refer to it as any kind of being - only that it came from a living being. If you say "That chicken you bought at the supermarket was once a living being that didn't want to die." it would be correct. That's because chickens and beings are both countable nouns, so we can equate them. Meat is an uncountable noun.

The next sentence "Since meat cannot be obtained..." is fine but should be preceded by a space.

Next you mention non-human animals.
    "No non-human animal, a pig, for example, would voluntarily offer himself to be slaughtered." I assume you're doing that to make the point that humans, too, are animals. That's fine, but it leaves your sentence open to the misinterpretation that human animals, unlike, non-human animals, DO voluntarily offer themselves to be slaughtered. Of course, no-one with any sense would take that meaning, but the fact that it's possible to take it wrongly means the writing will be considered sloppy. Also, don't use 3rd-person personal pronouns like "himself" for animals unless you're talking about a particular animal whose gender is known. You're not talking about a particular animal, so you should say "... would offer itself...".

There are other examples, too. Try to find and fix them.

Thank you for this comprehensive feedback. I'll fix the article with your suggestions.

3. chasmac profile image90
    chasmacposted 6 years ago

Astralrose, is it just your opinion that vegans can eat meat under those circumstances you mentioned? I thought vegans shunned all animal produce including milk and eggs under all circumstances. So I researched a little and was surprised to find there are several categories: ethical vegans, environmental vegans, strict vegans and more. I also found vegans on forums discussing eating roadkill like Dr Mark's poor guinea fowl. So some say yes, it's no problem provided you don't go out in your car hunting for animals to run over.

Although I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, I rarely eat meat, but I can agree that eating roadkill is ethically fine as there's no intention to kill or harm the animal. I don't see why it matters whether an animal died by being accidentally hit by a car or a falling tree or died of natural causes like old age... or cancer.
    As your article explains:
    "The dead becomes a thing, which is not a bad thing, because it is no longer living. It is no longer sentient and, therefore, not capable of feeling pain and leading an independent existence. The concept of violence cannot be applied to the dead. How we treat the dead is a matter of culture and social consensus. It falls outside the bounds of ethical vegan philosophy."
    I agree with that completely - so it should be fine to eat accidental roadkill as that's a natural death - if some vegans find it unethical to eat it then, like your article nicely states, that's outside the bounds of ethical vegan philosophy.

I have read a few philosophical articles about the ethics of eating meat and I find them logical as it happens in nature -the dead gets eaten. The link I included (that of James McWilliams offer more explanation about it. Veganism was and never is about not eating meat. Veganism is against the cruelty, the harm and all atrocities that we humans inflict on the animals, 'cause like I mentioned, not one animal -human or non-human would volunteer to have his or her head to be cut off (except probably in some religious fanatics). There are compelling studies that show the greatest similarity we share with the non-human animals (like pigs have intelligence like a 3-year old human child) and when it comes to emotions, they too are emotional creatures that show affection; they grieve; they sulk, they feel joy and pain, etc.

Sadly, this part of veganism (the real part of it, I should say) is not widely accepted but one can find a few philosophers, who have really thought about it and fully understood the concept), who have no issue with eating meat in the condition I mentioned.

Thanks for seeing it through.

4. daydreams profile image94
    daydreamsposted 6 years ago

You need to reformat your headings as headings, and not bullets.

You mean the reasons why many vegans are opposed to the concept of eating meat? I will do that. Thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)