I'd like feedback on my article: Quiz About Eggs

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Gloriousconfusion profile image93
    Gloriousconfusionposted 5 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article Quiz About Eggs. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. Marketing Merit profile image93
      Marketing Meritposted 5 years agoin reply to this

For me Diana, the article seemed to lack structure and jumped around quite a bit. I was unsure if the intent was to have a quiz about eggs, as per the title, share a poem or retell your experience about the bad egg. You then include a random photo of a Faberge egg. I was left feeling rather confused to be honest. I did like your illustration of the soldier dipping his head into the egg though!

I would also be inclined to remove the links at the end of the article. The advice I was given previously, was to include anchor text links within the article. Ideally, these should relate to items that may require further clarification.

Hope this helps.

Gloriousconfusionposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'll have to give it a re-think, and take your advice.

Right, I've moved things around and re-vamped it and made the links within the text instead of as a separate item. In fact I deleted 2 of the 4 links.

2. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
    Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years ago

Hello Diana!

You wrote:

“Quiz About Eggs And Additional Discussion”

“On This Web Page You Will Be Able To Enjoy a Quiz About Eggs, And Maybe Learn A New Fact Or Two About Eggs”

“Here's The Quiz About Eggs That You've Been Waiting For:”

“How Did You Do In The Egg Quiz? - Did You Get Top Marks? I Bet You Didn't!”

“Returning To Bad Eggs: - The Point I Want To Make Is That I Haven't Seen A Bad Egg For Years,Until After I Had Started Writing This Webpage”

“A Faberge Egg A Poster from AllPosters Exquisite Workmanship - Look At That Enamelling”

“Here's An Eggy Poem I Wrote Myself - It's A Children's Poem Really”

“Egg And Soldier”

Diana, these passages do not conform to APA guidelines regarding capitalization. Rather than getting into detail, here is some information about APA capitalization guidelines that I found on their blog:

“Here are directions for implementing APA’s title case:

Capitalize the first word of the title/heading and of any subtitle/subheading;

Capitalize all “major” words (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and pronouns) in the title/heading, including the second part of hyphenated major words (e.g., Self-Report not Self-report); and

Capitalize all words of four letters or more.

This boils down to using lowercase only for “minor” words of three letters or fewer, namely, for conjunctions (words like and, or, nor, and but), articles (the words a, an, and the), and prepositions (words like as, at, by, for, in, of, on, per, and to), as long as they aren’t the first word in a title or subtitle.”

Diana, here is a link to the entire discussion about capitalization:

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2012/ … style.html

I hope this helps.

Thanks Gregory, I've always done that in the past, but recently about a month ago, I was told by an editor to make ALL words in the headings capitalized.  I felt uncomfortable about it, but I was directed to an article about standard practice in USA so, as HubPages is American, and in view of what editors favor (like spelling it the American way instead of "favour", the English way), I thought I had better go with the system rather than fight it.

3. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

A fun idea for an otherwise boring subject, not that I don't like eggs, but they are pretty common. Seeing what you've done with this hub has my brain working... smile

Re your question here, one problem is that word repetition begins immediately.  The post is short enough that you should be able to go through and work out ways to tremendously reduce word repetition.

In spite of what an editor told you I would double check the info on title guidelines. You can see in this winning HP article that they definitely approve correctly written headings: https://dengarden.com/gardening/How-to- … ter-Cactus

The capsule titles are also long. Reducing them to catchy titles and putting the info in the paragraphs below would be a good change to make. The main title could be catchier, for instance "Eggs: The Good, the Bad, the Smelly" lets a reader know there is more to the article than a quiz without directly saying it, which is always more interesting.

A bit of reorganization could greatly improve the article's structure. Step back for a bit and let consideration of what would work best roll around your mind for a while. Do some reading of other short food articles with an eye out for the best and worst of how they are put together.

4. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 5 years ago

Hi Diana. I suggest that you do an outline of the things you want to include and just focus on the quiz. Forget the other discussion in your title. You still can talk about eggs but in relation to the quiz. The first subtitle is too long. When you have a structure, all the other things you have there will fit or not and if they don't fit, let it go. The quiz is interesting so make that your focus.

5. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
    Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years ago

Diana, according to the HubPages Style Guide and Helpful Writing Tips:

Proper Use of Capitalization in Titles and Subtitles

“Readers will get an idea of whether they can trust or distrust your content in the first few seconds of looking at your page. Proper capitalization in your title and subtitles is an indicator of your Hub's credibility. We recommend using standard title case when formatting your titles and subtitles and using the APA guidelines (or another comparable publication) for guidance. Here are a couple specific guidelines for capitalizing your titles and subtitles:

Always capitalize the first word of a title or subtitle.

Capitalize all “major” words (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and pronouns) in your title, including the second part of hyphenated major words (e.g., High-Quality not High-quality).

Capitalize all words of four letters or more.”

For the complete discussion, here is the link:

https://hubpageshelp.com/standards/Lear … d_23601919

Thanks Gregory,
      I'll take another look.

6. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 5 years ago

I think the title is wrong. Although the hub seems to touch on several different points about eggs, it's very difficult to convey that in a title and so your title has ended up being very vague and rather confusing. When I read the hub, I thought that the topic I would most like to be actually searching for online would be 'how to tell when an egg is bad'. I'm always googling things about food preparation whilst I'm cooking, but I don't think I will ever google 'quiz about eggs' - unless perhaps for an Easter game, and then that would only be on one day of the year!  I think (not that I'm an expert!) that you should have a more specific title and then include the other bits just as fun extras.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)