The Dust Storm of 2009

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (37 posts)
  1. darkside profile image67
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Wednesday morning when I went outside I saw the strangest thing. A reddish/orangey haze that blocked from view anything about 500 or so metres away.

It was like there was a bush fire, somewhere, but without the smell of smoke.

Or was it a heavy mist. But there was no coolness or moisture in the air.

I'd find out later that it was a dust storm. The wind picked up later and by late afternoon it was really blowing a gale.

I'd hate to have been an asthmatic yesterday.

Any other Aussie Hubbers experience it?

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      1. rebekahELLE profile image86

oops, I inserted my response in your text. hmm I'll try again.
        I'm not Aussie, but amazed at such a comprehensive article in Wikipedia already written up and posted. thanks for the link!

darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was over at Wikipedia checking up some information and I saw it on the front page in the news column. I was quite surprised too that Wikipedian's were so quick to slap it all together.

2. profile image0
      Hovalisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup, I certainly did! I woke up to a pink haze that could be clearly seen through my curtains and blind. Went to let the cat out and ended up just standing at the back door. I couldn't really comprehend what I was seeing at first! A totally red atmosphere. It reminded me of the pictures of Mars from the rover.

Drove to work in it, after getting a thick layer of dust off the windscreen. It was weird watching it change colour as the sun got higher in the sky. First, blood red. Then, orange. And then a yellow haze.

I've never seen anything like it, truly. I lived in the country for years, and we  got the occasional dust storm. In the mid-Hunter Valley, being near open cut coal mines dust comes with the territory, but this was a singular experience, to be sure!

You still out in the Hunter Valley?

1. profile image0

No, I'm in Sydney now. I have lots of family in the mid-Hunter. My mother's family has a long history there, going back to Convict times, and there's still a lot there. Mainly around the Vineyards (they go back a quite a few generations in the Pokolbin area), and up around Singleton (since they are miners, or have retired from the mines, you know how it is), and a few in Newcastle as well.

I still get up there occasionally. :-)

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

omgsh. that is incredibly scary. never seen anything like it yikes

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Though I haven't been to the land of Aus (Oz), the western US where I am, has these kinds of things, not infrequently. Fires in California also cause a similar condition because of smoke that permeates up to thousands of miles. What is really disarming is to watch the sun or moon through the haze. Freakish glows of orange to red.

It's terrible for anyone with upper respiratory problems.

It was a lot like the side effect of an out of control fire. Having experienced that myself the first thing I noticed was the absence of the smell. So I was quite confused.

I thought it was just localized, so I was surprised to find that it had covered the whole state.

It was strange, but no where near as concerning as a fire obviously.

3. megs78 profile image59
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I watched it on the news.  Scary stuff.  Was it hard on your lungs?

I noticed it later in the day. At one point I could taste it in my throat. Then I had to go out and my chest felt congested. Like I was full of phelgm and had the onset of the flu.

4. megs78 profile image59
    megs78posted 14 years ago

huh?

Ignore it. I've reported the post.

1. megs78 profile image59
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Darkside.  I know I should ignore it, but its disconcerting all the same.

LOL
          [whispered: "So are the religion forums..."]

5. ScarletRyan1970 profile image59
    ScarletRyan1970posted 14 years ago

Hello,

I was going to write here but changed my mind.
    Too much fighting.Peace.

Interesting. A person had signed up less than an hour ago, left a rude message, and this constitutes fighting?

Yes, more like confusion, since I can't possibly see a reason for such a response. Strange.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86

hmm

6. SunSeven profile image60
    SunSevenposted 14 years ago

Saw those pictures in the newspapers here, this morning.

7. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Darkside: I'm sure that was an unusual event to have to witness first hand...? You are curious about the Asthmatic persons...that is a good question. I also wonder how they are faring? I'm also thinking that would effect machinery...real bad. My best...to your neck of Aussie land in dealing with this...!

I think I'm still feeling the effects of it. I couldn't sleep and got up about half an hour ago (5:30am) because of the phelgm in my lungs and throat and this taste like clay.

Yo Pearldiver and any asthmatics in New Zealand, stay indoors!

8. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Yep Thx alot Australia... Your Dust Storm was so bad that it is about to reach the shores of New Zealand today.  Is your Outback still there?

Seriously? Let me know how it goes!

9. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I saw that on the news yesterday. Creepy!  I hope you're feeling better darkside.  smile

10. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Darkside, I know you have some animals on your land.  Are they doing okay with all the dust?

The dust has now settled smile but yes, they're doing well.

The winds were huge so I kept the chickens in the coop because I seriously thought the chicks (who aren't little baby ones, I guess they're teenagers) would have been blown away.

I would have kept the sheep, lamb and goat locked up too but they'd have been too hungry. They have their heads down eating and instinctively point their butt at the oncoming wind so they were okay. We kept the dogs inside. One of them is scared of storms and wind anyway and shook like a leaf the whole time.

I didn't see any native animals at all.

11. stricktlydating profile image84
    stricktlydatingposted 14 years ago

Yes it was an incredible experience. It looked so beautiful, except the dust it left behind is so annoying! I'm told we're due for more dust tomorrow (Saturday - I'm in Sydney).

12. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

The wikipedia article said there were concerns that it may contain radioactive dust, did they get that question settled?

13. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Hope you don't witness it again. Its worrying to watch the News on the "environmental happenings" should I say, in Australia. e.g The Wild fire's etc.

14. darkside profile image67
    darksideposted 14 years ago

It's happened again. It was predicted to come too. Some time in the early hours of this morning the winds hit. Looking out now there's all that dust (it must be very fine, you can't notice it close). But it must be overcast (which I can't see) because there's no oranges and reds.

15. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Wow, storms of Dust Dirt and Sand must be a scary but interesting thing to experience.

Where Im from the worst weather I experienced were Nor-Easters. The name we give blizzard like conditions here in New England.

~thranax~

16. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I saw it on the BBC website - looked terrifying! And I bet it was really hard on anyone with breathing difficulties.

17. Laurie Favelle profile image67
    Laurie Favelleposted 14 years ago

Latest reporting on the recent dust storm is that it originated in central Australia, most probably from Lake Eyre.  Lake Eyre is - usually - a very large dry salt lake ( the world land speed records were set there some decades ago).  The suggestion is that seasonal flooding, having dried, had left large deposits of dry dirt that had been carried to Lake Eyre in flooded rivers and creeks.  This is a seasonal occurrence.  What is unusual is the confluence of wind, weather patterns and dust, resulting in the dust storms across to the east coast and NZ (sorry NZ - first our possums and now dust).
    Regarding the radio active dust report, that was related to the planned expansion of a uranium mine in South Australia.  The suggestion was made that such an expansion, which involved open cut mining and the deposit of residue and tailings onto the surface rather than underground, posed a threat should dust storms originate or pass over this area of contamination. Hope this helps.

1. profile image0

I heard most of the dust came from around Lake Eyre. I thought that the concern was about the Maralinga nuclear test site. I hadn't thought about the Olympic Dam mine...

18. Laurie Favelle profile image67
    Laurie Favelleposted 14 years ago

Hovalis - thanks, you are quite correct.  Had a seniors moment and couldn't recall the detail.  Just put up a quick hub with some photos I had lying around.  You and others may be interested http://hubpages.com/hub/Dust-Storms-in-Australia

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)