Oscillating Maven Ads Are Frustrating

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 5 years ago

Is anyone else bothered by those oscillating Maven ads? I’m talking about those ads that vibrate continuously. I know they’ve done this to attract attention. But it’s annoying while trying to read an article and in my opinion it might even cause readers to leave the page.

I reported this to HubPages a few weeks ago because I noticed the animation is using a lot of resources. And they said they passed it on to Maven, but nothing was done since them.

In addition, I keep getting errors on Safari when these ads appear because it causes the page to reload.

So, I’m surprised that I’m the only one complaining about this. Anyone else?

1. brimancandy profile image77
      brimancandyposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I was looking at one of my hubs today, and it is just plastered with ads. Some of the ads even block your hub, and it cant be read because the ad is in the way. Ads should not be appearing over the top of your subject!!

One ad was so big it filled the entire page, and you couldn't scroll to see around it. That is just wrong! And, they certainly need to do something about it. Otherwise why bother making a hub if it is just going to get covered with pop up ads.

And, if you try to get rid of the ads, more just pop up to replace them.
      That's like going to a rock concert to see the show, and in mid song a curtain falls down with an ad for toothpaste or something followed by Gee you seem perky today what kind of Tampons do you use?

And knowing American advertisers they would probably love to do that if they thought they could. Gees.

It is very annoying, and I just asked the same question.

1. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
        Matt Wellsposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Please see this forum thread.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I've experienced those ads on the CNN website. You are right. They are as obnoxious as hell and have caused me to leave the page many a time. In fact and I'm not positive, but I think CNN stopped using them. This could only be because CNN discovered that many readers were doing the same as me. I would imagine that Maven will soon discover the same as well.

3. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

No, I get annoyed too and also have the same problem with the page loading over and over again to the point I won't even go to the Maven site on my iPad.  I thought that was one of the ad types Google was penalizing for along with pop ups, pop unders, ads that take up more than 1/3 of the page etc.?  Ads that interfere with the user experience?

4. Glenn Stok profile image97

Yeah, but now Maven is putting those ads on our hubs too.

5. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

That's bad. I haven't complained because I don't see any ads. I got an ad blocker on.

6. paradigmsearch profile image59

Someone needs to remind Maven that once a site or page gets on Google's "S" list, it is next to impossible to get it removed!!!

7. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Ugh, yeah those kind of ads are an immediate leave the sight thing for me, how annoying.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59

From Glenn: "Yeah, but now Maven is putting those ads on our hubs too."
    From ChristinS: "Ugh, yeah those kind of ads are an immediate leave the sight thing for me, how annoying."

Out of fear of Google, I have temporarily abandoned the HP Ad Program.

9. paradigmsearch profile image59

Tuesday morning inquiry.

Is anybody still seeing those vibrating ads on hubs?

10. Glenn Stok profile image97

I’m not seeing those ads anymore. Hopefully Maven realized the problem they were creating and removed them.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank goodness. Am happily resurrecting the HP Ad Program on my hubs by the end of the month.

11. Glenn Stok profile image97

I just saw another Maven ad and it's not oscillating. So it looks like they got rid of that nuisance. What a relief!

12. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 5 years ago

Hopefully they catch those ads and remove them. Annoying ads like that are the primary reason I started to look into how to use an adblocker years ago.

Glenn Stokposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Eric, Read my last post. It's all taken care of.

13. Glenn Stok profile image97

As of today, Sept 4th, those annoying oscillating Maven ads are back again. I just saw one on ToughNickel.

Dmn! I just recently resurrected all my ads. Maybe there's some hope; was it an AdSense ad?

No, they are not AdSense ads. They go to MoneyMaven dot io

Even worse, they are not recognized as ads so they bypass ad blockers.

I'm going to report this to staff again.

I'm going to periodically check my ads. First V ad I see, am shutting everything down again. Oh well, entropy again.

14. paradigmsearch profile image59

@HP My motive is simply fear, nothing else.

15. Natalie Frank profile image92

A quick off topic question - How can you tell if they are adsence ads or not?

Natalie, That's not off topic at all. It's a very meaningful question.

You can tell who serves an ad by clicking the AdChoices icon in the top right or left corner (I think I saw it sometimes on a bottom corner too). That shows you the ad agency and also lets you choose what you want to filter out.

However those Maven ads are not from any agency. They are direct links with Maven.

16. Glenn Stok profile image97

paradigmsearch, Why bother? I don't think this has anything to do with the HP Ad Program. For all I know, those ads might be served on all hubs no matter what. Maybe someone who is not using the HubPages Ad Program can chime in if they see those ads. Problem is, not many are paying attention to this thread.

AdSense communicates with no other, not even blogger/blogspot, my understanding, not G other or anyone else. That's why BloggerBlogspot so messed up.

Not sure what you're getting at. Those Maven ads are not served by AdSense. There is no AdChoices icon on those ads.

17. Natalie Frank profile image92

It would be nice if Paul would chime in on this one.

I just sent him the link to his thread.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)