Question about featured posts

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. jwashington profile image62
    jwashingtonposted 5 years ago

I have a question. I just did an hub which is a prose that was an interpretation of an art (say, Vango Gogh).

I think it's considered prose. I can't find anything that would make it unfeatured unless maybe it's not an article, poem, or set apart prose? Is it the nature of the hub?

Spelling and grammar is fine (it's a short hub). There isn't anything promotional. It's my own work.

Can you guys give me some insight?

(There was no reason why it was unpublished other than it didn't meet the standards. I'm not sure what to fix)

Oh. Another question in addition to that. We can post poetry and prose but not short articles.

Is the QA treeting my post as an article rather than prose/poetry if -that- is why it was unpublished?

2. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

We need to see it. Check out the rejection email - it will indicate how to get an answer: 'help from the community' or something like that.

jwashingtonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I just got this message. I "think" it could have been too short. I can't find the rejection notice anymore. I made it into an article and it's going through QA again. If I get the same notice, I'll post it.

In general, how does the QA determine what is a prose/poem and what is considered an article?

I know I read what they look for in poetry, though I don't know if it looks for a specific format or type?

I write free verse prose mostly. I guess you can say somewhat epic? Non conventional.

3. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

If you post it into the correct category, i.e. creative writing/poetry, then it will be considered to be so. It's not the editors' job (at that point) to assess what category your writing should be in... that's your job.

Wow.

I created a prose that is unconventional. It is also an interpretation of a piece of art I am intrigued with.

The "subject" is under poetry, literary arts (and so forth). It is the most appropriate place rather than business and LGBTQ issues.

Since it did not go through QA (which is fine; it's not a negative issue), does Hubpages evaluate poetry based on the type it is (free verse, acrostic, limeric)?

Since my prose is not conventional, maybe it considered it an article? I wouldn't know.

Other than it being too short and not conventional as in described above (and grammar is right and category is appropriate)

Another question about this:

If it is the category, how does QA judge whether a nonconventional poem is in poetry (which I placed it in) or in another section?

If you're not a moderator, I would like clarification from someone who is familar with the QA and has been a Hubby for a good amount of time.

I haven't been on here long; so, if there is an answer you can provide about this question or clarification, I would appreciate it. If not, what you said does not help me. (It's not constructive critism)

1. theraggededge profile image95
        theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"Wow"?

I answered your question as best as I could. The obvious thing that came to mind is that it may have not been placed in the right category - sometimes it's difficult to determine the correct one. And that can make a big difference as to whether an article is passed or not. That's why it's up to you to make that choice. For example, I've seen people put love poetry under the Relationship category. QAP would fail it as it's not suitable for that section of HP.

The QAP people are unable to place the work into the right category initially, but later a piece can be transferred to a network site, such as Letterpile.

You asked how QAP determines the type of work an article is, but, as no-one here is part of QAP we can't tell you what the criteria is.

How could I offer constructive criticism if I can't see the piece?

Sorry I couldn't help you.

Thanks. Yeah. Your tone was off. Stressful day I suppose. I think it's because it was too short. Maybe concerned as an article since it doesn't "look" poetic. I did put an article too it but it said it is low quality. I figured so since I just put it together. I don't think it's the article, though. I'd have to write another same type of poem and see. I can't find any category that matched poetry unless it's under literature. Who knows. I'd have to play with it a bit.

4. jwashington profile image62

It didn't meet feature requirements. Is there anything that Hubbers can refer to, to correct our hubs?

The QA has a lot of information; and, I can't guess what is wrong with it.

It is hard to correct articles when there is no information about "exactly" what was wrong. I'm not earning money or anything; but, it would be more benefitial to be on this site if I can improve my articles as well as write them.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Then you have to fix it to make it meet the requirements to be featured. Try looking at Letterpile.com. That is the niche site where poetry and creative writing will go if the article or piece is featured and you can get it past the QA.

Edit.

I have done the best I can with the article. This question I asked before I created an article with the poetry since I thought it was too short or not the "right" type of poetry. I was wrong.

I cannot read all the work on other sites. Is there something specific that is used for poetry (I have read the QA) to where I can compare my Hub with -and- know what to correct and worth my posts without guessing?

Does HubPages require poetry/prose to be conventional format?

1. samanthacubbison profile image83
          samanthacubbisonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Most poetry/prose goes to LetterPile unless the description or summary of the poem is riddled with mistakes. It's hard to have a poem that is "too short." If you post a link to the article in question here, we can further investigate.

Thank you.

I did unpublished it. I was thinking it was more unconventional since it doesn't rhyme and it's closer to free verse than anything else. I'd be surprise if there is an spelling or grammar error that wasn't intended as part of the poem itself.

After it was not featured I wrote an article with it and thought that may be the problem. The article wasn't published. I can understand if the article isn't published since my intention was just the poem. Though, I'm not sure if I want to work on the article more if it is the poem that's throwing it off and not anything else.

I haven't seen any prose written as a response to a painting before; so, maybe it's too unique. I don't know. I would have to publish it to give you the link.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Her tone was fine, your tone was off.  The bottom line is, your work has to be easily understood by the readers.  It can be as unconventional as the law allows, but the average reader has to be able look at the hub and know what it is. 

This can often be achieved quite simply, for example by adding an introductory sentence or two that might say something like: the following is a prose-poem inspired by xxx that I wrote to express xxxx.  If the editor has to guess what you are trying to do they will probably not feature the piece.

6. jwashington profile image62

I have a few other hubs; so, it's not the title, spelling, category, or anything specific like that. It sounds like either it's too short, not conventional (it's a response to a artwork rather than a stand alone poem), or it wasn't appropriate to HubPages.

I don't know another way to rephrase the question. It's too short for HubPages -and- myself to see anything wrong with it in and of itself. I just don't have enough information on whether it is appropriate. I can't fix anything; it's only, I think, five lines. Poetry isn't like articles just as long as it flows and make sense (etc) it just depends on the preference of the person reading it rather than the poem itself. 

I would write more since I'm more of a poet than an article writer; but, I'm at a loss. The other niche sites like the Literary one so far I read doesn't have prose like I wrote. Another, I don't think many write prose in response to something. It usually stands on its own. That could also be it.

I don't know. I'm just guessing.

If you want to send a private email with the content of the article to our team inbox, that would be helpful. No one here can really make a judgment without seeing it. Like I said, most poetry is accepted, regardless of length.

7. jwashington profile image62

Sam, thank you. I'll send it to you. The article didn't get approved; so, I know I have to redo that so I'll just send the poem.

...Oh. How do I send a private email?

Just send it to our team@hubpages.com inbox and address it to me!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)