Fundamental question ??

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

What is a fundamental question?  According to the dictionary, 'fundamental' means basic, or essential. 

I need to determine the fundamental question involved in an assignment in order to write an argumentative paper.  (it involves three separate statements)  The only thing I can come up with is:  Are these statements right?  (which, obviously, they aren't because they all derive from separate belief systems)

So, what are some examples of a Fundamental Question?  (I ought to be able to figure it out from examples, lol)  Thanks!

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what's the topic of your argumentative paper?

For example:
      Topic - Monetary policy
      Questions: Should we have a central bank?

Topic - public schools
      Question: Should schools be socialized and paid for my government, or should they be privatized?

Topic - drug usage in the US
      Question: Should drugs be legal?

Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so the fundamental question directly relates to the topic of the paper?  I can get that...thanks!  smile

What's the topic you're writing about?

-- ps, there might be more than one "fundamental question". That's the important part.

This is what's known as "framing the debate". If you get to start the debate, you get to ask the fundamental question, and thus frame the debate.

For example, with the topic of "public schools" you could make a million different "fundamental questions".

1) are they working
          2) US vs Others
          3) private vs. Public
          4) the privatization of public schools
          5) drugs in public schools
          6) students rights IN public schools
          7) free speech in public schools.

etc etc.

This is how you frame the debate.

I have 3 'statement' from bin Laden about why the Taliban attacked America.  Discuss the DCT and CR - is one statement better than the others and why.  (in a nutshell. lol)

so, it sounds like the fundamental question is what I'm responding to, what my thesis statement needs to address.  (she said to make the thesis a summary of the problem & the solution)  Is it okay to have a thesis more than a sentence?  As in, a complete paragraph?

First off, I'm not familiar with "DCT" and "CR"... what do those mean?

A thesis basically means "What are you going to argue For/Agaist".

Topic: Birth Control
              Framing Questions: "Should women be allowed to have abortions?"
              Thesis: "Women have the right to abortions". (or whatever you WANT to argue).

So, your situation:

Topic: "the 9/11 attacks"
              Question: "Why did they attack us"
              Thesis: "They attacked us because we've been over there killing their children and women for about a century. It's called blowback."

--- You can probably see a connection between these debates and the HubPages forums. People get onto HubPages, start a forum with a "topic", then the person writes out a summary of the argument (the question), and then everyone on the forum demands their "Thesis" be heard.

Most of the people on HubPages are liberals, so their theses are usually liberal-style "government can help the poor"; a few are conservatives, so their theses are generally "quit hating america and stealing my money!"; and then people like me are libertarian/anarchists whose theses are "let me have my freedom". ----

I think this is what your teacher is asking.

This is for college right? What is the name of the class it's for?

Intro to Philosophy.

Divine Command Theory & Cultural Relativism (DCT, CR)

I do fine when I know what I'm talking about, lol, but when it's taking a step back I'm kinda lost. lol

I have noticed that, with the HP Forums.  I've jumped in a few times. lol  Guess I should have stuck around a little more. lol

Divine command theory?! Cultural Relativism?!

I don't know much about those things. It sounds like you might not know much either. A quick google search should solve things.

DCT = creationism. Which, at best, can't be proved, and thus is NOT a theory. I know I'm going to piss off a few religious types, but don't get me wrong! A scientific theory is nothing more than "an explanation that has yet to be disproven".

Creationism, "DCT", is NOT a theory because it CAN'T be disproven. No matter HOW much evidence you stack against it, the creationist can simply say "nuh-uh! GOD did it!!!!"

Here's wikipedia on CR:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_relativism

Your question is to look at What Bin Laden said, and then to analyze it through the lenses of DCT and CR.

Shouldn't be too hard.

"He believes in God (DCT), and thus our infringements into his culture led him to kill people for the greater good (CR)."

Something like that. I dunno.

thanks for trying. smile

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
                    Mikel G Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoa...

That is very good. So the existence/non-existence of God could be deemed a scientific theory.

And the fundemental religious question:

Does God exist?

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Without being Pragmatic, or Religious ... The Fundamental Question, is the Question of "Being" ...

For all Questions emanate from within Being ... the dead and non existent do not pose Questions.

And The Fundamenrtal Questions in Being are the Questions relating The Truth and the Purpose of Being ...

Two things Define the Existential Reality, these are Matter and Idea ...
      After you have decided to follow one of the two modes ... of Reason or Belief, the next two Questions are the Defining of Matter and Idea ...

In Islamic Cognition, Matter and Idea Constitute the Reality, in Living Human Awareness ... the Sense of Being ...

Well, these are some of the Fundamental Questions ... hope these are helpful towards writing the referred Paper.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
      Mikel G Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do I exist?
      What is reality?
      Does truth exist, or is it merely perspective?
      If truth does exist, are there any absolute truths?

Can God, if God as defined by Christianity is an omnipotent being, build a wall God cannot jump?

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
        Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes you do !
        You are Reality !
        Your Existence is the Truth !
        Try understand your self ... you will Find, The Absolute Truth.

Why ... ?

4. profile image36
      Afflosparkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hello,
      A fundamental question is which clear your core concept about that topic. You can make a base via it.
      Basically, Fundamental question are those which show like too small but those really mean  too long
      like as
      Does the earth rotate around the sun?
      you can give a simple say "yes" for it.
      but when you go deep Then you understand its mean.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. Took eight years for this fine answer. With no help what-so-ever from U No Hoo.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

How was each statement created?
      What idea(s) was each statement based on?
      How do they relate or not relate to one another?

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

What is the meaning of life?

3. paradigmsearch profile image59

Do I exist?

One of the ancient Greeks successfully answered this one, but darned if I can remember which one. smile

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

proof I was right.

4. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

By what and whose specifications do you or I exist?

5. paradigmsearch profile image59

And the most fundamental question of all…

Does Snooki snore?

lol   I'm thinking...yes!...or, um...maybe?  big_smile

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

yes, but the noise comes out from "the other" end....

... ewwwwwww!

lol  ooops - who would have thought up a name like Snookie?  lol 

(blushing terribly with embarrassment for an inexcusable lack of knowledge in this department)

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

"A fundamental question is which clear your core concept about that topic. You can make a base via it.
    Basically, Fundamental question are those which show like too small but those really mean  too long
    like as
    Does the earth rotate around the sun?
    you can give a simple say "yes" for it.
    but when you go deep Then you understand its mean."  Afflospark

Interpretation:
    A fundamental question is used to discover a clear concept about a topic.
    Basically, a fundamental question starts with the whole picture and ends with the details.
    For example: "Does the earth revolve around the sun?"
    You can give a simple answer, "yes",  but you need to ask a fundamental question to provide deeper understanding.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

A question such as, "How does the earth rotate around the sun?" would be a fundamental question.
    Rather than, "Does the earth rotate around the sun?" That would just be a question.

Maybe fundamental questions start with HOW.

Yes?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)