The "Maven Recommends" Widget

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (85 posts)
  1. samanthacubbison profile image83
    samanthacubbisonposted 4 years ago

This new feature is a handy widget that appears at the bottom of your screen with suggested articles. These suggestions are related to the site you are on, and only appear when you scroll up (aka, when you are ready to move on to the next read). Instead of having to backtrack to the top of the page, this feature will make it easier to keep your flow going.

We apologize for not sending out a notification sooner, we were ironing things out right up to the last moment!

https://hubstatic.com/14553599_f1024.jpg

1. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
      Kierstin Gunsbergposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Nice! I think this is a great addition smile

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It pops up on my downward AND upward scrolls halfway down any desktop or laptop page on HP, hurts my eyes, and causes a physical headache for me.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
        chef-de-jourposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This Maven Recommends pop-up is ill thought out and will undermine the niche site value. Viewers will leave and I can't blame them.

It needs to be removed immediately.

I'm sorry but this is a very serious issue. Any pop-up at any time on an article is potentially a disrupter and that can lead to immediate abandonment of the page. It just doesn't work. It will put people off. And once they know this pop-up will appear on a site they'll avoid it. Simple.

The majority of my viewers need to spend a decent amount of focused time on a page. Having a pop-up repeatedly in their faces isn't conducive to close study.

Perhaps the HP/Maven team need to get round the table again and rethink. We've just had a Google update which may affect some niche sites negatively. This Maven Recommends pop-up will only add to the confusion.

This pop-up should be removed before it's too late.

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

+1- Popups are a no-no in any circumstances. They are spammy, offensive and annoying; an invitation to quit reading the page they appear on.

3. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm finding this feature annoying.  Can anyone on the team explain why this is a good idea?  Was any testing done before rollout?  Is any monitoring of reader engagement being done subsequent to rollout?  I'm anxious about this new feature because I am finally (after many years) starting to get significant traffic increases and not incidentally making good money.  I don't want to lose traffic or money because someone got the brilliant idea that popup recommendations would be a value add without considering the impact on readers, authors and niche sites.

4. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Why should we keep writing high quality articles to have annoying pop ups appear on them to distract our readers? My earnings are so low now I don't even bother to write.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

But the problem is that this hub of yours is on hubpages.com. There are no good hubs that are left on hubpages.com unless they are new or the author has a lot of hubs and is waiting for the 14 days to pass before the next submission. The lack of good hubs results in bad recommendations. Try checking out the niche sites and you will see better-related hubs and recommendations.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image93
          Shesabutterflyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's not entirely true. I have a few good ones left on HP and I don't have a lot of articles waiting for submission. The staff is taking a long time going through ques and no longer gives us the option to resubmit without wasting another submission. One of mine the staff has had in its que for over a year now. It gets some traffic, but I'm stuck waiting for the staff to finish it before it can be moved. I've edited and resubmitted a few times but it still hasn't moved so its not going anywhere any time soon.

Over a year!? That's a long time.

Yep and I've contacted staff, but they can't do anything. I've done the edits, but I'm done wasting submissions on it. I've pretty much given up on it at this point and am putting my efforts elsewhere.

So it's getting rejected for some reason? I had one like that and I have no clue when it was finally moved.

It was "accepted" but needed a few edits. Was moved to the que for the staff to edit before they move it. I was given a few suggestions to complete and resubmit, but it still wasn't accepted and moved.

Okay.

2. Glenn Stok profile image98
                    Glenn Stokposted 4 years agoin reply to this

In addition the the suggestions they gave you, did you go through all the requirements for a stellar hub and update to get to a 10 rating on the QAP scale?

I once wasted a submission and had to wait 60 days to resubmit. I learned my lesson from that and started checking all my updates against the QAP rating scale. I always tried to reach a 10 rating on the scale and now have all my hubs in niche sites.

Here is the scale...
                    https://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

2. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I understand. I don't have any work left on Hubpages, all I have is articles on niche sites.

5. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Okay, that was weird.  I just finished writing a new hub and went into preview mode to check the formatting, etc.  The new Maven Recommends widget appeared as I scrolled.  Why?  It's a preview, not a published hub that the entire internet can read.  No one is going to see it except me before I hit the Publish button.

2. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

The problem is that a reader may need to examine a diagram in an article, and have to scroll up and down several times, referring backwards and forwards between text and image. So this is very annoying when it suddenly blots out the screen.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96

I agree. This pop-up will undermine the viewer's experience and they might not return once they know the whole niche site is being bugged by these nauseating things.

I think the HP team need to get rid asap.

3. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 4 years ago

Just saw this thread, and as I commented on another, yes it does seem to show only on an upward scroll. I'm happy with that, but an upward scroll can happen pretty much anytime.

Question: do people really scroll upwards when they are done reading? I would think they just hit the back button or the x to close the tab.

Instead of saying Maven recommends why not say we recommend? I know it's all about getting the Maven name out there, but Maven recommends on a Dengarden article when the hubs are all from Dengarden anyway? Isn't it about niche site branding too? Why not say Dengarden recommends? Lots of management in this decision and I do not expect an answer, but I had to throw it out there.

I've emailed the team because I think this is a potential disaster. It needs to be removed asap.

Many of my viewers need focused time on a page and because I deal with close-up analysis mostly for students they'll not tolerate a distracting pop-up.

I'm all for innovation but this idea seems not to be have been thought through.

4. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 4 years ago

Hmmm, I'll have to try it out on mobile, eugbug. I'm not seeing the feature on my laptop anyway.

5. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

I think it would be better to popup the widget when a user clicks/taps the back button after reading a niche site article and before they return to SERPs or their previously visited page. At that point they may be more inclined to browse the related content. Doing it while they're trying to navigate an article is distracting.

6. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

I saw it this morning. First impression, not happy with it because pop-ups are passe. It is piggybacking my article, and I am trying to be in Maven shoes and understand the purpose of these ads.  I don't get it. Why would someone click on another article if they are reading my well-written piece?
    Brandon has a good point, keeping continuity with the niche site is advised.  "HubPages" recommends or "Dengarden" recommends. "Maven" popping up is non-sequitur and confuses the reader. 
    I suggest surveying HubPages writers beforehand because we know more about our site and how it influences our readers.  Please add a turn off button. smile
    I want to like this new feature, but it's irritating, and my readers will not like it.

I've emailed the team because this is a potential monster. I'm not usually so agitated but this pop-up is going to turn people off and once they know the thing is site-wide they'll not want to return.

I hope the HP/Maven people will listen and act. Please get rid of this pop-up.

7. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

It is almost impossible to read a pages comments at the moment. If there is a conversation of some kind you really do need to scroll around to find the beginning of that conversation. As soon as you do that, the stuff you are trying to read disappears.

This pop-up is a shocker. It needs to be removed asap or viewers will leave in droves and never return.

I've emailed the team. Please get rid of this bad idea.

8. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 4 years ago

I agree with most of the other comments. I did find this annoying at first sight. It may just be a matter of getting used to it, we'll see. I do agree it would be better to say HubPages or the niche site recommends rather than Maven though. Reference to the Maven influence seems to just continue to grow.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that one time visitors are not going to take the trouble to get used to it. They will simply exit.

Also, the links are not all within a particular niche. They got rid of the interlinking of niche sites in the sidebar because it was bad SEO, now they have reinstated it in the popup.

Personally, I hate seeing work being wasted, so I hope they can adapt the feature to work constructively.

9. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 4 years ago

This is annoying.  Maybe if it wirked properly it would be ok, but right now it pops up constantly while i am typing a reply.

10. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 4 years ago

I have no problem with this the way it currently appears. Maybe it has changed since yesterday.

The linked content is, for the most part, on the same site and highly related. It appears when you scroll up, but goes away when you scroll down again, so it doesn't seem that intrusive to me.

Problems start when HP links out to crazy, unrelated and sometimes disgusting content on other Maven sites, but that doesn't appear to be happening, at least that I can see. Is someone else seeing it?

I'm sure the Team will be extensively testing, but if this widget can keep people on the niche sites longer it is a good thing for all of us.

The only negative I agree with is that is should not say "Maven Recommends". The reader will likely have no idea who or what Maven is, and might be confused when they look up and see a different name on the banner at the top of the screen. It should be specific to the niche site (Dengarden Recommends, etc).

Yup, I agree.

2. Will Apse profile image88

It is better now. It covers less of the screen and the recommended links seem to be more relevant. Also the X to get rid of the popup is easier to see.

They need to check the visitor reactions, though. See if we get fewer comments, lower dwell times etc.

If there is no improvement in engagement stats, it might not be worth keeping.

Ah yes, I like it now. It's smaller. Also, the x works and it does not show again.

11. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Lots of other websites are pulling the same stunt and Google apparently hasn't punished them for it; yet. I guess it's welcome to the evolving internet and we shall see.

12. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago

I discovered this yesterday before seeing this thread.  I agree with everyone else that it is extremely annoying. Pop ups in general are frowned upon. I have no idea why Maven thinks this is good for us. It will have a negative effect, just like when they listed sexual content several months ago, and also when they had annoying “vibrating images” in ads. Now this!  Looks like Maven keeps coming up with dangerous experiments.     

Eric made a good point earlier, that people have “no idea who or what Maven is.” To make this even clearer, readers from organic traffic don’t know Maven, especially since the heading at the top has a different name. In my opinion, I think this will cause people to think the pop up is some kind of spam.

Glenn, I agree 100%. I'm trying to picture one of my viewers intent on some serious study of a literary analysis, scrolling up and down for facts and ideas, interconnecting and so on...when suddenly here's an intrusive pop-up splashed with Maven Recommends.

Big or small, pop-ups are an intrusion and are irritating. I think this idea is too risky and will turn people away from the niche sites. I like the theory that says most folk when they're after a quality page of information go for the path of least resistance that is, they prefer not to tolerate interference in their quest for useful and valued content.

2. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree totally

1. Madeleine Clays profile image95
        Madeleine Claysposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree also. I think these pop-ups are annoying and distracting to readers.

13. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

I was just on the History.com website and the Maven pop-up appeared at the bottom of the screen. No idea what to make of that, but it looks as though it might drive traffic to our articles.

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
      Glenn Stokposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I’ve gotten the same pop-ups there too, as well as on A&E (aenetworks.com).

I noticed that A&E Television Networks and History.com include the Maven logo with the Maven key icon on their sites, indicating that they are “A Maven Channel.”

I’m confused by this, because when I Google “Who owns A&E Networks” I don’t see anything about Maven.

In any case, I don’t think this will bring us traffic though. Their pop up’s (same as we see here) only include articles on their respective sites.

Maven is a platform provider for the most part. It owns some of the content producers but not all.

14. Wolfy profile image92
    Wolfyposted 4 years ago

Severely detracts from the user experience in my opinion.

Google's whole mission is to gauge how a user experience is and rank websites accordingly. If they don't figure this out now, they certainly will in a future update. Hope it doesn't burn all of us too bad when the shoe drops!

Bad idea in my opinion. A definite liability just to get a few extra page views. Might come back to bite!

Ugh.

15. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 4 years ago

Based on the articles that I've just been reading, the pop-up has moved to just below the last comment. I think this is a much better place for it. The problem is that if it's closed, the pop-up reappears every time a reader scrolls into that area and stays open until it's closed again.

I don't know how many readers will scroll to the last comment repeatedly, but if they do, they are in for a frustrating experience. I discovered the behaviour of the box accidentally when visiting an article with no comments.

Clicking an X on a box generally means you no longer have to see the box during that visit to the site. Having it reappear no matter how many times you click the X or being forced to leave it open is annoying.

There is a strong case for only allowing the popup to appear once, lol. It is very annoying if you want to write a comment.

1. AliciaC profile image93
        AliciaCposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Actually, to be fair I should add another thing that I've realized. When I start to write a comment, the pop-up that I triggered by going to the bottom of the page disappears.

16. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

I'm finding that it still appears in the body of the article, not just after comments. After 3 down/up scrolls, it doesn't appear on the 4th scroll up or subsequent down/up scrolls.

I find the same phenomenon, but it disappears for good when I tap the X and no longer hurts my eyes.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Apparently, HP and Maven like to experiment as much as I do. Hopefully, they are keeping an eagle eye on the comparative bounce and duration rates and will react to anything negative before Google does. And so it goes and so it shall be.

Amen.

17. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 4 years ago

They seem to be gone now. I am probably the only one sorry to see them go. LOL.

For everything on HubPages there is a reason, I suppose.

Interesting. I wonder if it's temporary or if the stats show that it was not doing what it was supposed to.

The pop-ups have gone? RIP. Or good riddance. Common sense prevails for once. I really think they were unnecessary. I wait biting my nails for Maven's next innovation......

18. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

Perhaps it fell into the same pit as the stats. Which I think has giant, intelligent spiders at its lower depths.

19. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

With my Iphone held landscape, the Maven box completely filled my screen. Original page was easily forgotten by a reader who may find the recommendations interesting. Not a good look for easer engagement/ time spent on the page.

Which site you were on at the time and have you tried it in the last few minutes?

20. Kenna McHugh profile image91

It looks like pop-ups have left on my end.  If it is true, then HP/Maven heard us and got rid of them. That is a good thing.

I really hope these horrible things have died a quick death. But which site you were on? Only one, or several?

I've only checked 2 articles on Dengarden.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

If it truly is gone, I doubt it is because of us. It's going to be based on data. If it were due to us we'd have a staff response here.

21. Kenna McHugh profile image91

True. But, they are not quick to respond. It would be nice to know that the pop-ups are off permanently, and if so, why?

samanthacubbisonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The pop-ups are not permanently off, we are doing routine operational adjustments.

You have developed an Eliza mode, lol. Probably a reasonable response to these forums...

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Nice. I liked the result of the popups.

22. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago

It may be gone here, but Maven still has it on History.com stories.

23. Kenna McHugh profile image91

I think the pop-ups affected the CPM. DANG!

Just checked, my CPMs are in the ball park of the highest they have ever been even the last update from June 11th. Very similar to this time last year, way more than the previous years. Hopefully, yours recover soon.

24. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Yes. My stats were doing well before this pop-up snafu.

Interesting. Should bounce back up then.

samanthacubbisonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The intent of this project is to help readers discover more quality content to follow up with on that particular network site. We are monitoring user engagement and will be making adjustments to improve user experience based off of our findings.

Your articles will be promoted on nearby pages, which should increase traffic and direct readers that are looking for the next thing to you.

Why would readers want to "discover" articles not related to what they are reading? Not to mention it still pops up when scrolling, which is kind of a nuisance when you're trying to find something.

Owlcation has a plethora of unrelated topics. If I'm reading a humanities article I'm likely not going to be interested in electrical engineering which is a very specific and in my experience hard subject to learn. If I'm not looking to learn about engineering the pop ups are annoying and irrelevant. Will these pop ups eventually 100% relate to the content being read or just whatever is on that particular niche site?

25. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Okay. My stats are doing better, so the CPM should follow with that. I will know more tomorrow.
    In general and overall, my stats and CPM are doing far better than last year at this time.

26. Kenna McHugh profile image91

I am not sure what that is...

It is fairly obscure, but not impossibly so. So I ain't helping, lol.

27. paradigmsearch profile image60

I feel a meme coming on here. Or not.

28. paradigmsearch profile image60

am no longer able to do memes.

29. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Certain niche sites are proactive, while others are not. I edited one, and it moved over. The other one is still sitting there in the queue for an edit. I edited it once, and it hasn't moved over yet. I can't even remember which article. It's been so long.  smile

30. paradigmsearch profile image60

One of my articles your editors/curators rejected has hit big-time on my website. Actually, now that I look at it, more than one.

Not self-promotion; you will not find the link on my profile; don't go there.

Meanwhile, HP is doing good. The money keeps coming in (sentence ends with preposition, gasp!!!).

31. paradigmsearch profile image60

Coming up on a decade this October. @HP: You have been good to me.

32. paradigmsearch profile image60

Miscommunication is a problem. My previous post was sincere, not sarcasm. You guys have been gold. You, and I do mean you, have affected my life these last 10 years.

33. Kenna McHugh profile image91

That is awesome, Jean.

34. paradigmsearch profile image60

https://i.imgflip.com/33kqmi.jpg

Your distinctiveness will be assimilated one day.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Now that is gold.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)