LeBron James says he plans to campaign for Joe Biden this year

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/15168839_f1024.jpg
    According to various sources, LeBron James has said publicly that when he gets a chance he plans to help campaign for Joe Biden this year in the 2020 election.  Some of you might remember that LeBron also did the exact same thing for Hilary Clinton in 2016, but she still lost the election.  Will LeBron endorsing Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in 2020 make a difference this year?  Or do you think he needs to shut up and dribble?  Please discuss.

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I say that people in all walks of life have a right to an opinion. If I have to listen to Shawn Hannity and Rush Limbaugh, why can't Le Bron James or Barbra Streisand not have a voice?

1. Ken Burgess profile image75
        Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to listen to Shawn Hannity or Rush Limbaugh if you don't want to, I know I don't.

Yes, but neither is anyone forcing you to listen to Le Bron or Barbra.

The problems with people who have "race problems" and this is not so much directed at you, Ken, is the idea that when people say "some of my best friends are black" it does not necessarily absolve you. I have been hearing that old retort since the days of Archie Bunker.

These sports stars have an opinion and just because you may disagree with them....

Who are these "hard working" Americans, obviously they are not progressive open minded people or you would not have all the angst against Mr. James?

1. profile image0
            savvydatingposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"Absolved?" Who gave you the moral authority to absolve anyone?

"Progressive, open-minded?" You mean like the Marxist Black Panthers, BLM, and Antifa thugs who use manipulation and violence to achieve their ends for an imagined Utopia, yet who who care nothing for the black/minority communities they destroy through looting, burning and killing?

"Progressive and open-minded" An oxymoron if ever there was one.

"Absolved?" Who gave you the moral authority to absolve anyone?"

I took it, people tell me these things oftentimes to give the me the impression that they are not part of the race problem. I have a neighbor that does it all of time, most annoying. So, I won't Absolve you if you don't walk the talk, and I am free to associate or disassociate with anyone on that basis.

All this other stuff that you speak about is just more  right wing propaganda that I am going to dismiss out of hand . Because for every so called left wing threat there are 10 Right winged ones.

I have saved several expletives for radical conservatives and rightwinger types but decorum keeps me from mentioning any of that here.

1. profile image0

gobbledegook: pretentious or unintelligible jargon. Surely, you can do better.

Anyhoo.... fortunately for me, I do not buy into white guilt and therefore can not be manipulated by any Marxist ideology like BLM.

2. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps he should get to it, the clock is ticking. I wonder how long Mr. James has been friends with Biden, and I will be interested to see what he said.  Or perhaps it's just another celebrity that thinks just saying they endorse him will really matter in the long run.  Perhaps he can fill in some of the blanks. I mean someone has got to campaign, we see so little of the candidate.

3. dashingscorpio profile image78
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hilary Clinton lost the election for a variety of reasons and none of those reasons had anything to do with LeBron James supporting her.

Everyone is entitled to vote for and support whomever they desire to see become president. Your "job" shouldn't deny you of this right.

4. Miebakagh57 profile image70
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

LeBron, go to hell and say: Hello to the devil.

1. AliciaC profile image92
        AliciaCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Is this the way you always respond to people who have different political opinions from you?

1. profile image0

I think some Americans need to stop clutching their pearls.

I also believe Miebakagh57 has a point.... and I don't know him from Adam.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
            GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ha! "clutching their pearls." That is so cool and so right.

GA

2. dashingscorpio profile image78

Miebakagh57,
        I've never been to Nigeria but in the U.S. everyone is entitled voice their opinion without having the expectation of being attacked.

In fact America was founded on protest starting with the Boston Tea Party. Almost every segment of our population has had to fight for equality in the U.S. whether it be women, minorities, or LBGTQ.

Whether one agrees with LeBron's strategy or not one would hope that the vast majority of people are in favor of (equality) and justice for all people. Unfortunately in the U.S. "freedom" and "equality" isn't free.

Advancement usually comes after sacrifice, strikes, boycotts, protest marches, and unfortunately sometimes blood.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image70
          Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agreed, but don't ever threw my tea into Boston harbor again. My statement is not meant as an attack. What does an American mean when their say go to hell? To me, it's a mission impossible for a person having fail once!          Honestly, I have had my say like any other. When M. Ali the late legendary boxer was sent to Nigeria to campaign for Jimmy Carter, late Nigerian  president Shehu Shangari had to confront Ali. Ali at once regreted that he has been made a fool. The move LeBron James is on is not wise.

1. dashingscorpio profile image78

In the U.S. "Go to hell" is the equivalent of telling someone to drop dead.

Protesters are always be viewed with distained by those who want to maintain the status quo. I remember in the 60/70s the women's liberation movement had lots of detractors but today most people believe women should be paid as much as men for doing the same work. The struggle continues but "history" has sided with those protested.

The same could be said about the Civil Rights movement an anti-Apartheid protests. During the 1980s the U.S. Government was opposed to Nelson Mandela. Today he is revered as an international icon.

Only the passage of time reveals who is the "wrong side" of history.
            In the eyes of England the American "patriots" were traitors in 1775.

2. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone would argue against equality or justice for all people.  However, LeBron James is a moron who doesn't know what he's talking about over 99.9 percent of the freaking time, and if he wasn't being overpaid to play a child's game, then he'd be flipping burgers at McDonald's, or he'd be some nobody like everyone else. 

Seriously, the man proved to everyone how much of a hypocrite he is when it comes to social justice, when he didn't say a word about China, and called Daryl Morey ignorant simply for tweeting "free Hong Kong."

Edit:  I know I claimed he was the next Muhammad Ali once in these forums, but that was back when I was ignorant about who he really was.  Why anyone would listen to that moron is beyond me, as the whole China thing proves to you what kind of man he really is, and how much he doesn't believe in half of what he says he does.

1. IslandBites profile image90
            IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"However, LeBron James is a moron who doesn't know what he's talking about over 99.9 percent of the freaking time, and if he wasn't being overpaid to play a child's game, then he'd be flipping burgers at McDonald's, or he'd be some nobody like everyone else. "

Wow. LOL

So much prejudice in one sentence.

1. profile image0

Yup.   That must be why I voted for barrack Obama and my favorite actors in Hollywood just happen to be Denzel Washington and Michael b Jordan who oddly enough has a similar name to my favorite basketball player of all time Michael Jordan as well

Plus I have a niece and nephew that are both black from my step sister, yet I love them to pieces.  Still want to say I'm prejudice just because I don't like LeBron James?

Also im part native American, part Hispanic and half Chinese so you can't label me a white supremacist either.

1. IslandBites profile image90
                IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Huh? You should read the definition of prejudice.

1. profile image0

Go read my response to dashingscorpio as I give valid reasons behind my claims that LeBron is a moron and doesn't believe in half of what he says he does.   

Edit:. However you're right calling him a moron is a bit harsh.   I think the word hypocrite suits him better the more I think about it.   Thanks.

2. dashingscorpio profile image78

Stevennix2001,

Just because someone is not "up" on every issue or is not in agreement with other people doesn't make them a "moron". It's one thing for opposing sides to debate issues but name calling implies frustration.

All professional sports could be viewed as a "child's game".
            It's also highly unlikely he is overpaid since the owner of the team believes he's making a ton of money for the organization in ticket sales, merchandise and puts the team in contention to win a championship.

If someone is anti-sports they probably don't get the value of someone who is capable of filling up a 20,000 seat arena. The free market/capitalism or what people are willing to pay to see you or own your products determines one's value in the marketplace.

Kim Kardashian is worth ($900 Million) and she started out with a "sex tape" and parlayed it  into a career selling cosmetics and other products. 

Some actors get paid $20 Million+ for (pretending) to be someone else.
            However if a movie grosses $1 Billion the studio is very happy.

Vanna White makes $4 Million per year to turn letters on Wheel of Fortune. {In the U.S. "popularity" pays more than knowledge.}

It's also impossible for anyone to know if he'd be "flipping burgers" if it were not for sports. Most of the world doesn't play professional sports and very few 35 year old men find themselves "flipping burgers".

Rappers; Jay-Z and Kanye West are (billionaires) and never went to college. Anyone who can "sell" will never be broke.

1. profile image0

You didn't hear his response to the Daryl Morey tweet did you?    He clearly stated that Daryl Morey was ignorant to the situation at hand, when tweeted support for Hong kongs freedom, and then claimed Daryl spoke on a matter he was ignorant about.  LeBron never once claimed to be ignorant about the situation in China.   He merely called Daryl Morey ignorant for not considering the ramifications of his words and actions.   

Now if we were talking about Steph Curry then you'd be right as he's the one that claimed to be too ignorant about the situation in Hong Kong to say anything about it.    Not LeBron James. 

https://youtu.be/UjM43blzaRc

Hell even the liberal YouTube channel, Young Turks, criticized LeBron James, and they vilify the right all the time and praise the hell out of left and woke politics as well.     Are you implying they're being harsh on him too?

https://youtu.be/cubNWRdrrV4

3. profile image0

"...in the U.S. everyone is entitled voice their opinion without having the expectation of being attacked."

Are you not aware of cancel culture? That statement is so entirely removed from the reality of what is happening in the United States. People lose their jobs here if they say the wrong thing in the workplace.
          Miebakagh is from Nigeria. I sense that he sees all if this. Thus, his statement is not egregious in any sense..

5. Ken Burgess profile image75
      Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I love it when someone who has been a multi-millionaire since the day he became an adult and has been idolized by millions decides to jump into politics and ramble on about things.

When someone who is worth 100 times what I am wants to get on a pedestal and tell me how privileged I am, and how I am the cause of the problems in society today, they are really helping me understand.

Understand the elites and extremely wealthy have no clue how hard Americans have to work to earn whatever it is that they can muster.

They have no clue that when the Mortgage Crisis hit, millions of homes, and millions of retirement funds were lost by average Americans.

They have no idea that millions now are suffering across America, on the cusp of losing their homes, their life savings, their businesses, their hope.

If the politicians in these Democrat led states didn't cause these losses because of their draconian lock-downs, then the riots they allowed to flourish in their cities that looted and burned down businesses did.

And the more these filthy rich athletes, actors, and politicians want to preach to us about how bad we are, and how we need to endure more loss and more despair as they terrorize us with Covid and the dreaded Police that are out hunting minorities, the more every rational intelligent American is going to get fed up with all this BS.

Ratings are down about 50% for sports, because these athletes want to spout their racist commentary.  The Emmys didn't even have an audience other than people directly involved with hollywood, their ratings were that low, because people are sick of their non-stop preaching and politicking.  And it is only going to get worse... people are getting fed up with these spoiled rich "stars" telling hard working Americans what they need to do.

2. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 3 years ago

It's a free country. I don't think celebrity endorsements make much difference in the world of politics. I wish we had the same disdain for mixing sports and politics as we do for mixing religion and politics but people who believe they have a built in soap box will always use it.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

I can't imagine caring any less about what LeBron James has to say about presidential candidates. 

As Credence said, we all have a right to our opinions and I doubt that James has studied the individuals, the party platforms or history any more than I have.  My opinion is at least as good as his is, and as it is what will decide my vote is far more important.

And as LtL said, it is sad that some people will give his opinion more weight than their own.

4. profile image0
  5. profile image0

It seems according to the media, LeBron James is now paying fines for people so they'll vote Joe Biden in the upcoming election.  The man is really campaigning hard this year for Biden. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news … ber-report

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)