FBI says Fov. Whitmer of Michigan target of rightwing kidnap plot?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (66 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 3 years ago

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/08/us/g … litia.html

Fresh off the presses folks, so who is telling me all the biggest national threats are from the BLM and Antifa?

This stuff seems to have going on for some time but the rightwingers see this form of resistance as either ok,  or chooses to ignore it hoping that the rest of the country does not see it.

Sorry for the headline misprint, I meant "Gov".

Rightwinger, Trump's own FBI is acknowledging where this nation's extremist excesses are found. I certainly don't need to print in Braille and shove it up your bums, now do I?

For the rest of us mere mortals, I take the assault from these groups quite seriously, we all should.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I for one AM taking it very seriously.  I see it as a continuation of the violence that is taking place all over our country, and if we continue to ignore it and pretend that we don't need law enforcement it will only grow.  Right wing, Left wing - it makes no difference what labels we assign; if we don't get a handle on it we are in serious trouble.

1. Tim Truzy info4u profile image93
        Tim Truzy info4uposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Nah. Braille wouldn't  help. No need to insult intelligent people with vision loss by a misuse of their medium (lol). Try sign language; that might work. These people aren't hearing anything.

2. peterstreep profile image80
      peterstreepposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Have they mentioned the words terrorist and terrorism yet in the news? As this is basically what it is.

Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

The Trump Administration would never use as strong a word as "terrorist" to describe a bunch of "good ole boys"

1. peterstreep profile image80

No, I imagine. But for the press CNN, Fox, NBC and the other News channels you've got in the US?
          The Guardian used the word terror.
          "How the domestic terror plot to kidnap Michigan's governor unravelled "

2. wilderness profile image94

If the definition of terrorism is along the lines of "causing harm to people innocent of any wrongdoing" (intentional civilian casualties, in other words) then it isn't terrorism, for the governor is the one making orders they don't like.

That term is grossly overused today.

1. peterstreep profile image80

Terrrorism - the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

3. Live to Learn profile image62
      Live to Learnposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I take them all seriously but I see the left downplaying the violence from the left so, frankly,  I'll listen carefully to the comments of conservatives and moderates but those who never, ever, criticize left wing violence and make excuses for it at every turn are, in my mind, responsible for fueling it all. Whether it come from left or right.

OK, but I see the Right downplaying violence from their side while the FBI says they are clearly most dangerous. Trump and Barr minimizes this daily. So, who is doing the most "downplaying"? The Rightwing extremists I see as the most dangerous and those that lean in its direction are the most guilty of denial, IMHO

"So, who is doing the most "downplaying"

Personally, I would have to say those accepting or promoting the hundreds of violent "protests" (actually riots) we have seen in the past year or so.  I can think of only one death from a dreaded "right winger" (the one that ran his car through a protest), but there have been more than a few deaths and many injuries in the riots, not to speak of the ruined lives as their life's work disappeared into the flames.

And, of course, that doesn't count the "left wingers" that wire tapped the presidential candidates offices, that proclaimed him to be colluding with Putin to fix the election, cobbled up a worthless impeachment, has publicly stated they will change the foundation of the Constitution (stacking SCOTUS) if possible and is now attempting to pass a law allowing Congress to remove a President they consider "mentally unfit" without the need of an impeachment (read: of a different party dogma).  I could go on, but I think you get the picture.  These kinds of activities are "dangerous" beyond anything a few armed nuts might (or might not big_smile) accomplish.

(Oh, there was one more death - in that occupation of a federal park building in Oregon - but it was the "right winger" that violated the law that died, so doesn't count.)

1. IslandBites profile image89
            IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

If you can only think only of those two, you've been living under a rock.

I imagine there are more.  Maybe many, many more depending on your definition of "right wing".

But I notice you didn't supply any examples?

1. profile image0
                PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

it gets really old supplying information that, if you pay any attention to what is happening in the U.S., you would already know. A quick Google will reveal hundreds of deaths caused by right-wing extremism in the U.S. over the last twenty years.

Bet if you went to a hundred years, and widened the definition of "right wing" to "anything not the rabid left" you would find even more.

As far as I'm concerned the discussion was about the last 2 or 3 years - the period where violence suddenly bloomed nationwide from fringe groups on both sides.

1. profile image0
                    PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Fine, the stats will still show far more deaths from right-wing extremism than left-wing, in the last 2-3 years, should you choose to see.

2. IslandBites profile image89

To mention some...

John Earnest, Patrick Crusius, Steven Carrillo and Robert Justus, James H. Jackson, Dylann Roof.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
                  GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I asked Google about your list of names and viewed the Wikis on them.

Just for clarity . . . The topic was the danger from Right-wing militia and extremist groups. with the exception of one—who claimed to be part of a nation-wide Boogaloo Boys 'movement', none of your listed names claimed to be part of any such group.

One even said he had voted for Pres. Obama in 2008.

However, none of this is intended to deny or defend the danger of Right-wing extremists. Or any extremists.

GA

Yeah, but my response was directly to wilderness "I can think of only one death from a dreaded "right winger".

2. wilderness profile image94

Well, let's see.  Googling "Steven Carrillo", I see the following: "California prosecutors have filed 19 charges against a cop-hating Air Force sergeant in the ambush killing of a county sheriff’s deputy."  This sounds more like BLM than a "right winger", yes? 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/air-force-se … ys-killing

Patrick Cursius produces: "Lawyers for Patrick Crusius, the man accused of killing 23 people at an El Paso Walmart last year, said he was in a psychotic state when he was taken into custody minutes after the shooting and suffers from mental disabilities."  All psychotics are "right wing", yes?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/us/el-pa … index.html

This sounds more like BLM than a "right winger", yes?

Sure, based on your bias.

Federal prosecutors have linked Carrillo with the extremist, anti-government group called the Boogaloo movement and said that Carrillo chose the timing of his attacks to "take advantage of a time when this nation was mourning the killing of George Floyd." Inside the three vehicles Carrillo used, police found a boogaloo patch, ammunition, firearms, bombmaking equipment and three messages scrawled in blood: “I became unreasonable,” “Boog” and “Stop the duopoly.”

The group started in alt-right culture on the internet with the belief that there is an impending civil war, according to experts. The movement’s followers, some of whom call themselves “Boogaloo Bois,” are generally younger and more likely to turn to acts of violence than members of other militia-type groups.

All psychotics are "right wing", yes?

So, he said that. He also:

Used the internet to purchase a GP WASR-10 semiautomatic rifle and 1,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition.

Drove from his home in Allen, Texas, with the rifle and the ammunition to the East El Paso Walmart Supercenter store near Cielo Vista Mall, where he opened fire on hundreds of people.

Posted a document he wrote titled, “The Inconvenient Truth".

To quote Cred, " I see the Right downplaying violence from their side while the FBI says they are clearly most dangerous."

Yup.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 3 years ago

I agree with you Cred, I think the potential danger from all extremist and fanatical groups should be taken seriously. Liberals and Conservatives both have their fringe elements.

The militia of your topic is/was(?) very dangerous—a bunch of idiot macho guys with guns that have watched too many Rambo and Seal Team movies.

However, I think the tone of your comment trends to hyperbole. "Rightwinger Trump's own FBI"? Are you implying the FBI leadership is partisan?

And, if you want to frame this as a national threat, how do the number and scale of "national" events by BLM/Antifa compare to the militia and Rightwing extremist groups? Instead of that old Let me count the ways . . ." thought, we could say Let me count the cities . . ."

Also, you can stay the hell away from my "bum"

GA

Wilderness was correct about his assessment that the problems comes from all sides.

But....

Trump said in the last debate that the threat was from left wing extremists, not from the Right.

The FBI is not partisan which gives all the more credence to its assessment that radical Right wing groups pose the greater threat to national security.

It is more than a matter of Numbers, it is about the ferocity of threats and attacks that I think is more important. The Leftist radicals never threaten to kidnap and kill a major public figure.

Looking at the Right wing objectives and approach, I would consider them the more dangerous. Anyway, the FBI says so and that is good enough for me.

"Anyway, the FBI says so and that is good enough for me."

And it is good enough for me too. I think these extreme-right militias are very dangerous. But, I don't think it is because they are extreme-right, I think it is because they are fanatics.

If you don't think the FBI is partisan, then why did you make a point to note "Right-winger Trump's own FBI"?

GA

Im not Cred, but I believe the point is that Trump, WH and Trump fanatics accuse every person that says something they dont like or that is contrary to their message as Trump haters, Democrats, disgruntled employees, etc. in a mission to destroy America and to remove Trump from office. smile

That is probably a fair point. I bet the anti-Trump fanatics have an equal list of descriptors for claims by Trump supporters.

To come back to the point of my comment, I don't think it was 'like pulling teeth' to get the FBI to make the statement it did about Right-wing extremist groups—as Cred's phrase implied.

I would have to check to be sure, but I think the FBI has been saying this about those groups since McVeigh's time. And I have agreed with that assessment since McVeigh's time too.

GA

2. Credence2 profile image78

Funny GA, no one seems to have problems identifying "left wing" extremists that would include the Attorney General and Trump himself. And after all that "rot" I have had to suffer through listening  about "an out of control Left"  in Democrat controlled cities and such.

This Wolverine Watchmen IS a rightwing oriented extremist group affiliated with the boogaloo bois and dedicated to the goal of violent insurrection, so who is kidding who here? I have read that McVey and his accomplice had associated with such an organization in Michigan many years ago

Obviously, the FBI seems to know how to make distinctions between radical Right and left, these Wolverines can and has been categorized as "rightwing" from any number of sources except Brietbart, of course. If not, then you will have to prove your point. I will go with the FBI assessment. If the FBI can make the distinction, you and I can, as well.

Let's  not try to amalgamate the distinctions that classically define Left verses Right oriented. And this group is a loathsome RIGHT wing outfit.

My point about the FBI is that in spite of Trump's dismissal of the threats posed by the Right since he assumed office, even he could not muzzle the FBI in regards to the data it had gather regarding the Rightwing extremists as being far more menancing and dangerous than any challenges coming from the left. That is what makes the FBI reports all the more credible.

While I often accuse Democrats as seeing the world through rose colored glasses, I accuse Republicans of actually putting them on others, instead. They will tell you that a "polecat" is just a large kitty  with white paint down its back. And you know what, there are people that will believe it.

You must be arguing with yourself Cred, because I can't think of anything I said that contradicted what you just said. And I surely can't control or be held liable for what "no one" says. ;-)

The only possible difference might be that I said they were dangerous because they were extremists and fanatics, not because they were "Right-wing." I didn't mean that to be taken as saying that they weren't a Right-wing group. My perception is that almost all of these 'militia-type' groups are and that Left-winger extremists and fanatics would not let the word "militia" anywhere near their names.

GA

3. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 3 years ago

So, those the same guys Trump called very good people, eh?

"Two brothers who were charged Thursday in a plot to kidnap and kill Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer were identified as the identical twins photographed months earlier carrying long guns during a protest inside the state Capitol."

The FBI arrested 13 people Thursday in the plot by members and associates of a right-wing militia group, Wolverine Watchmen, to identify the homes of law enforcement officers in order to target them and plan and train for an attack on the state Capitol where they would kidnap government officials, including Whitmer.

Prosecutors also allege those indicted made credible threats of violence to instigate a civil war leading to societal collapse.

In early 2020, the FBI learned through social media that a group was discussing a violent overthrow of certain government and law enforcement components, according to the criminal complaint obtained by Fox News. FOXNEWS

On Thursday, hundreds of protesters — many of them carrying guns — descended on the Michigan Capitol to oppose Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's extension of the state's stay-at-home order by another two weeks, to May 15.

"The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire," Trump wrote. "These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal." Business Insider

4. Live to Learn profile image62
    Live to Learnposted 3 years ago

From the limited info I've gotten on this, at least one arrested was a BLM supporter, hated Trump and is anti government.

I'm not sure this is totally 'right wing'. I'll wait til I have full info to pass judgement.

5. Readmikenow profile image93
    Readmikenowposted 3 years ago

It's important to keep current on a story as it develops.  Doesn't seem to be what the left claimed it to be in the beginning.

"The suspects charged in the plot to kidnap Michigan Democrat Gov. Gretchen Whitmer are anarchists who in a series of videos professed hatred for police and referred to President Donald Trump as a “tyrant,” reports say.

U.S. attorneys have charged Adam Fox, Barry Croft, Ty Garbin, Kaleb Franks, Daniel Harris, and Brandon Caserta with conspiracy to commit kidnapping, the Detroit News reported on Thursday."

https://www.worldtribune.com/reports-su … and-trump/

That's a good point Mike. I think we got so engaged in a valid discussion—the danger of home-grown radical extremists, that we stopped speaking of the validity of the claim of the OP, (as in, didn't check that what we were saying was the truth of the event).

I think we get to blame Cred for this one, but that probably won't help Conservatives with their "Right-winger" label, I think anarchists usually get laid at their doorstep too.wink

Thanks for the update.

GA

1. Ken Burgess profile image75
        Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It's why I refrained from commenting on the thread.

I knew hours after Cred posted it that there was no legitimacy to these people being "Right Wingers"  one had been active in BLM rallies, another was a radical Trump & police hater.

This is the "news" we have today folks, they lie to you all the time... they didn't want it getting out what politics these lunatics really had, so they put out a false narrative... the only one that people will remember.

And in following the message of the OP, I also failed to research the topic, as Mike's link shows.

I addressed one thing, when the reality of the OP's topic was something else entirely.

But, I will stick with the thought that from the Left's perspective, and much to their detriment, even anarchists are Right-wingers.

Labels, labels, everywhere, and not an ounce of truth to be found anywhere.

GA

1. crankalicious profile image87
            crankaliciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

World Tribune is a far right web site that's garbage. Absolute garbage. I would go so far as to say that anybody who regularly read such a thing would not be somebody I would trust. Might as well be reading The Daily Stormer or some such thing. Or listening to Alex Jones.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/world-tribune/

Don't wear a mask, don't get a flu shot. Anthony Fauci is a fascist:

https://worldtribune.com/life/value-hea … t-bullies/

1. Readmikenow profile image93
              Readmikenowposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You want to go there...huh?

You know what else is absolute garbage?  Media Bias Fact Check.  Absolute trash.

"Media Bias/Fact Check (MBFC) is a website founded in 2015 by editor Dave Van Zandt.[1] The website has been described as an amateur effort to rate news media sources based on factual accuracy and political bias."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Bia … cal%20bia.

"A little bit about the “right-wing” terrorists who plotted to kidnap Whitmer: —One was a BLM inc. protestor —One called Trump a “tyrant” —They hated police —They were anarchists —They claimed to hate the Constitution These people are anything but conservative."

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/v … p-n1034330

1. Readmikenow profile image93
                  Readmikenowposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The facts about there being members of Antifa and BLM part of the kidnapping plot against the Michigan governor are many.  There is even an article about it on MSN.  That is a fact that can't be disputed.

Show me his Antifa membership card. He attended one protest march.

For certain, he was a Marine.

Does the latter give you reason to question the Marines?

Clearly, his political motivations are many. He was emphatically anti-government.

"That Jew, George Soros, is behind everything:,

Mike, do really expect me to believe a source that writes stuff like this?

2. GA Anderson profile image88

The link source may be just as you describe Crankalicious, but I didn't take the link's claims at face value, I asked my friend Google.

There are multiple sources that support the article's claims, but here is the truth—straight from the horse's mouth, this group is an anarchist group:

https://hubstatic.com/15238441.png
              You can shoot the messenger, but that doesn't change the message.

GA

Well, GA, the values are awfully similar:

“He was afraid the government was going to take his guns,” the employee said. Those at the store were aware of Fox’s Second Amendment views and involvement with a group of armed men, which did not strike them as unusual for the area.

"The plotters, according to an FBI affidavit, were motivated in part by their belief that state governments, including Michigan’s, were violating the U.S. Constitution by imposing restrictions to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus — and they referred to Whitmer as a tyrant."

Barry County Sheriff Dar Leaf said he met Null several years ago when Null came to his office to vent about the Black Lives Matter movement. Leaf said Null wanted to start his own cause: My Life Matters, which he would eventually turn into what he called the Michigan Liberty Militia.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

I suppose you can disavow them based on whatever their life philosophy, but given their views on government, gun rights, and COVID restrictions, it certainly seems they share a lot of Right concerns.

I will concede, however, if that you dig into their backgrounds, writing them off as right-wing kooks misses a valuable piece of their story, which is their poverty. In fact, a deeper look into their lives and their struggles reveals how those mired in poverty look for anything to cling to that will give meaning to their lives. Definitely, a more robust reporting of how this occurred and why is necessary and neither side has done much of that so far.

It would appear that they did not target Whitmer because she was a Democrat as much as they targeted her for how they perceived she was impacting their lives.

This begs the need for an examination for those in society for whom politics is largely irrelevant.

6. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 3 years ago

There have been repeated calls by the Trump administration to designate antifa as a terrorist organization,[38] a move that academics, legal experts and others argue would both exceed the authority of the presidency and violate the First Amendment.[39][40][41] Several analyses, reports and studies concluded that antifa is not a domestic or major terrorism risk and ranked far-right extremism and white supremacy as the top risk.[31][42][43] A June 2020 study[44] of 893 terrorism incidents in the United States since 1994 found no murder that was specifically attributed to anti-fascists or antifa while 329 deaths were attributed to right-wing perpetrators.[31][45]

So, Let's cut the BS and make things crystal clear, shall we?

Rightwinger = Conservative squared

Rightwing Extremist = Rghwinger squared

You are all on the same wavelength, it is just that some of you are more brazen than others.

After all, conservatives so comfortably link progressives to the unrest in major cities.
    So, two can play at that game.

What is  Right wing extremism?

Bigotry, intolerance, xenophobia, and rabid anti-government views. That has to be a great deal it.

To try to separate these lone shooters from the larger organized philosophies is incorrect. If these lone shooters are insane, how is it that the direction of their insanity correlates so closely with the manifesto of right wing groups? The so called individual mad-dog shooter, is a part of, a brazen part of, right wing extremist philosophy.

Th Wikipedia link to the El Paso shooter for example, his "mental illness" seems inconsistent with the ugly manifesto he penned regarding his objectives and fit well into every rightwing extremist's goals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_El_Paso_shooting

To hide the true nature of the Whitmer incident is just another attempt at  misdirection from the advocates on the Right.

This is just one example, there are more available upon request.

It appears you are saying, ("To hide the true nature of the Whitmer incident "), the Michigan Militia/Wolvervines are not anarchists and their intended mission was not one of anarchy?

GA

This has been an interesting exchange from several people.  My take on it: "If you are not firmly entrenched well into the (beautiful, caring, wonderful, loving) left wing group  where I live then you are hereby relegated to the (ugly, hateful, murdering, uncaring) "right wingers".

Do I hear the faint chants of "Divide Americans NOW!" coming closer and getting louder?

Funny though, how anti-government anarchists representing both the left or right are looked upon differently, depending on which side you are looking at them from.

"anti-government anarchists. . . " Isn't that redundant? Are there pro-government anarchists?

Is it your view that the Portland anarchists were 'Left-winger' anarchists and the Wolverines are 'Right-winger' anarchists?

If so, which is the primary label, and which is the secondary one?

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)