Georgia, Texas Voters Wait Hours to Vote

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (35 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 3 years ago

Reports from Georgia and Texas reveal people waiting in line to vote for up to 8 hours. This should simply not occur in our country. It is flat-out voter suppression and intimidation to make somebody wait 8 hours to vote.

Where I live, I received my ballot in the mail. I filled it out the same day. The next day I drove about 1/2 mile and dropped the ballot off in an official drop box.

Texas governor Greg Abbott decided to make it harder for voters in Texas by limiting the number of drop boxes, thus making people drive up to 50 miles in some counties. In California, the Republican Party is placing fake voting boxes in some counties to confuse voters.

Let's face it, Republicans don't want people to vote or they want to make it as hard as possible for certain kinds of people because those people are so unlikely to vote Republican while Democrats want to make it easier to the point where verification becomes increasingly difficult.

Everyone who is eligible to vote should be able to do so easily. There's got to be a better way. Voting should be possible via the internet with multiple authentication or via mail with multiple ways to authenticate.

Waiting 8 hours in line to vote is obscene.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Checking a half dozen articles, I saw wait times of 20 minutes, one hour, two hours, three hours and 3 1/2 hours.  Nothing even coming close to 8 hours.

But whatever the average or even maximum is, I have to wonder why it is happening?  Are people just trying to beat the expected long lines and everybody wants to be through on the first day of early voting?  I may well do the same in my town, where early voting is possible just a mile from my home.

As far as getting to ballot boxes - there are people living on the Snake River, miles and miles into Hells Canyon.  It will take them, not a couple of hours, but a day to boat out, drive to the nearest town (probably around 30 miles), vote and go home.  They're so far off the grid I understand that mail (via boat) comes only once per week.  I would imagine that many residents of Alaska face the same challenge.

Point being that if you live in the middle of nowhere, don't expect to find a voting place on your doorstep.

Agree, though, that Democrats want to make it easier for everyone to vote...legally or not.  Whereupon they will declare that there was no fraud...without ever testing to see if there was or not.  Been going on for years.

crankaliciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I admit that Democrats are somewhat lackadaisical about allowing everyone to vote. Why do you have such a hard time admitting that Republicans want to make it harder for people to vote? They are particularly interested in keeping people in Democratic counties from voting or making the lines so long that people are discouraged from voting. Republicans typically make it harder for black people to vote.

The solution to this is voting via mail or voting via internet with multiple safeguards in place. For instance, you should be able to take your personal computer to a polling site, log in to a secure network, and vote that way. Same goes for a phone. You take your phone to a polling place and vote that way because the phone number is registered to you and the data on the phone corroborates you are registered to vote. You still have to be within a certain distance of the polling place, but it would eliminate lines entirely.

The fraud question has, in fact, been tested over and over.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … story.html

https://www.brennancenter.org/issues/en … oter-fraud

I looked at the reports of R's putting up fake ballot boxes.  Beyond the pale, to say the least, whether legal (which they claim) or not.  Not to be allowed if at all possible.

We've had voting by mail for decades.  When we figure out how to avoid fraud with unsolicited ballots, when we've figured out how to ensure NO ONE not deserving of a ballot (dead or alive, citizen or not, felon or not, of age or not, registered or not) gets one, when we figured out how to ensure that people get exactly ONE ballot, the one to which they are entitled, to the correct address, THEN we can vote via unsolicited ballots.  When we hear that tens of thousands of ballots are sent to wrong addresses, this isn't happening.

Computers; I'm not sanguine AT ALL voting from home via the 'net.  Taking computers to the polling station - are you going to give everyone in the country a computer (you know that will be demanded) and how will you guarantee that no one downloads a virus?  Phones are an interesting idea...until you figure that thousands and thousands change phone numbers.

I can't read your first link, and the second simply says it doesn't happen.  This is my problem; everybody (of the Democrat persuasion) says it doesn't happen but no one actually checks.  For instance, on unsolicited ballots:
          1.  How many people are checked as receiving their ballot, and ONLY their ballot?
          2. How many people are checked as to what they voted for and does it match the ballot received?

As near as I can tell the answer is "zero" to both questions, yet both are absolutely integral and necessary to find fraud (or mistake) in the process.  Yet we still see "There is no fraud"!  How does that happen?

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
            MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

OK, I'm going to show that I am an independent, not a democrat or a republican. Both of you have arguments that have merit. I saw relatives in western states on Facebook complaining about how long it took them to vote in person while people in other states like TN said they were in and out in 5 to 10 minutes so I think it depends on where you live. There has always been voter fraud somewhere. I remember when I was a reporter back in 1980, officials found that 13 dead people had voted in that years general election in Arkansas and a big deal was made over it. That was in the days before electronic voting of any kind was available.
            My husband and I vote regularly in our elections, so it is very easy for officials to verify our legitimate mail-in vote. We conveniently voted by mail this year because we both have disabilities and health concerns. I believe that it is the first-time or sporadic voter with whom officials should have concern.
            I also think voters of both parties have legitimate concerns because of actions by states to make it harder for them to vote. Non-authorized ballot boxes shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances, but those boxes should be closely checked for ballots from legitimate voters who have been tricked into using them, but I doubt that those boxes will ever surface. Or surface untampered. California should be subject to some kind of penalty for allowing that. Texas should also be penalized for not allowing more official ballot boxes in large rural counties. Not naming any names, but it is pretty obvious who is trying to suppress voting in those two states.
            It is also shameful that the president and his family vote by the same method that he claims is fraudulent.

I have no problem with solicited mail in ballots, and Trump has made it very plain that he has the same opinion. 

Unsolicited ballots (routinely mailed to all registered voters) are another matter, though, in both my opinion and Trump's; it is only that method that is so ripe for fraud.

"Not naming any names, but it is pretty obvious who is trying to suppress voting in those two states."

Are you sure?  Consider that Texas cities are primarily liberal (as they are all over the country) and that rural counties are primarily conservative.  Who do you think is suppress voting in conservative areas then?  Republicans, suppressing the votes they need to win?

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
                MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you that no unsolicited ballots should be sent out. That's too ripe for fraud. Re: your last paragraph, I only know that the complaints were coming from Democrats that Republicans were trying to suppress the votes of the Mexican American and other liberal community. I saw it on CNN and heard a little from Texas relatives. Mostly smug comments because except for my granddaughter, most of them are Trump rooters. Critics are saying the Governor is behind the putting out fake ballot boxes. The defense by Republicans is that the fake boxes are for the convenience of voters in the rural counties. However, that is also ripe for fraud as the democrats ballots could be selectively eliminated and not counted.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
                  GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

" However, that is also ripe for fraud as the democrats ballots could be selectively eliminated and not counted."

This thought puzzles me. It is similar to Republican, and Pres. Trump, claims about ballots in the trash can because they had a Trump selection. How can one know—either way—without first opening the ballots? I have not heard either side claim the ballots were opened, only that they were discarded?

Wouldn't, for legitimacy's sake, those claims offer that the ballots questioned had been opened and examined? Did I miss that they had?

I don't support unsolicited ballot mailing, I too think the situation is open to fraud, but, I have not seen any evidence that the claimed "fraud," (like the military ballots in the trashcan), has any merit.

GA

"I don't support unsolicited ballot mailing, I too think the situation is open to fraud, but, I have not seen any evidence that the claimed "fraud," (like the military ballots in the trashcan), has any merit."

Same question I keep asking, GA - what is being done to check that ballots were received by the voter, marked according to their wishes, and returned to the state?  As far as I've heard there are no checks being done...which means no fraud can be found.  A negative result, then, (no fraud found) because no effort was made to find any.

2. wilderness profile image95

If you agree that unsolicited ballots should not be used as a voting method, then you agree with the President, for that is his major complaint.  That "vote-by-mail", via the unsolicited ballot method, is ripe for fraud.  The insinuation by many liberals that he is referring to solicited ballots for mail in votes is completely false, and he has made that very plain.

Claims of voter suppression are a dime a dozen, and comes up with every change in any part of the voting process.  Don't believe everything you hear, whether CNN or your relatives (I would put far more emphasis on their account, remembering that it is only personal experience, not wide ranging statistics).

I haven't heard anyone blaming the (Democratic) governor of California for putting out fake ballot boxes.  The claim seems highly suspect.  And I agree (as I stated) - putting those out with the claim that they are merely "helping" the process, without any oversight over claiming and submitting them, is irrational and foolish.  Whoever is putting them, it is irrational and foolish to believe such a claim.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

" I saw relatives in western states on Facebook complaining about how long it took them to vote in person while people in other states like TN said they were in and out in 5 to 10 minutes so I think it depends on where you live."

Yes, MsBejabbers, you did show your Independent status. And I agree with you. Different situations will always exist—and for different reasons.

I could have highlighted more of your comment quotes, but I think that one best illustrates the situation.

I also agree that different states—with different political persuasions, have made the problems worse than they should be.

There are few 'innocents' in this type of discussion. Both parties, and their power-levers deserve blame in this issue.

GA

Nobody should have to wait hours to vote. It's damaging to our country and our democracy.

How many poll stations would you suggest for the state of, say, Texas to guarantee that?  Texas has 268,000 square miles; would one station per square mile be adequate, with another 100,000 in the major cities be sufficient to guarantee that no one waited two hours or more?  Because I highly doubt even that would do.

So we do the best we reasonably can with the resources available.  And that means that there will be long lines at some times in some areas.

Voting by mail is one solution. Easier absentee ballot access. Using technology to allow people to vote.

We have a lot of technology that can solve this problem.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

Yep, and waiting more than twelve minutes in a grocery checkout is a travesty that should result in the failure of the store as a consumer business. Geesh.

GA

2. Sharlee01 profile image79
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Here in Michigan, one must be a registered voter, we have voter ID cards.  One can register to vote online. When voting in person we need to produce a photo ID at the polls, a passport, driver's license, or state ID card with a photo. One can apply for an absentee ballot if they choose, just by filling out an application. The only different thing our Governor Whitmer is doing that is different is sending mass mailings of absentee ballot applications. One finds them in their mailbox, local papers, as well as more popular Detroit newspapers. As I canvased many complained they had gotten anywhere from 6 to 10 in their mail. I can't see where these applications will become a problem, one must fill them out provide their personal info, voter ID information that shows they are a registered voter.

Myself, I have received two of these applications in the mail. I vote absentee and have for years, each and every election my ballot is sent out in a timely fashion. The flood of absentee ballot applications is meant to promote citizens to vote if registered. If one is not registered they can't even use the application. I would guess someone could commit some sort of fraud, but doubt it would sway the election. I always encourage people I have talked to use the application if they can't make it to the polls. I have helped a few to fill the form out. I feel pretty good about how Michigan has always handled voting, I don't think we will see a problem other than the count will be slower due to so many using mail in ballots.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)