A Biden America

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (129 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/15194280.jpg
    Since Biden won, what you do envision for a Biden America?  Do you feel that the election process was honest or was it rigged?  Why?  Why not?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Biden is essentially going to be a puppet in the white house for Kamala Harris; similar to how George W Bush was a puppet for Dick Cheney, so I think you mean how will things be in Harris' America, and to that, I say I don't know.  It's too early to tell right now, as I'll probably have to wait and see who's going to in the presidential cabinet under the Kamala Harris Administration aided by President Joe Biden, as Kamala put it in an interview months ago.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

+10000000000. Biden has puppet written all over him.   I don't respect Biden at all.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
          TessSchlesingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yup. Wrote several articles about that on Medium.

1. peterstreep profile image80
            peterstreepposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think all presidents are puppets as they are supported by the money given during election times. And so they are obligated to return the favour.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
              TessSchlesingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think that's true.

2. wilderness profile image93
              wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

True to a point: they are certainly not "obligated" to return the favor...but if they don't they won't be re-elected, and that re-election takes priority over the country OR the people.

3. Sharlee01 profile image79
              Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

This has been very true for decades. Never so much as this last election.

Never so much as this last election. -- That's an opinion, not a fact.

1. Sharlee01 profile image79

Touchee Sharlee.And II believe you. It shows how rotten the elections in the US are. But this is not just a Biden thing. The same can be said about Trump, Obama, Bush, B Clinton, etc. It's not a party oriented thing.
                    And it's a shame.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
        Kathleen Cochranposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Could not possibly care less. Trump is out. America wins.

1. profile image0

Well anything is possible.  I personally felt like there were pros and cons behind electing either candidate honestly.   As far as America winning now that Trump seems to be on the way out, that remains to be seen honestly.  Again, I'll reserve judgement once I know who's on his staff, and how well his first year in office goes.

2. peterstreep profile image80

Trump was a puppet too. A president having a bank account in China...is highly open to extortion and blackmail.
          Hopefully we (the world) are freed of his toxic populistic twitter account. The amount of false claims and unfounded and unschooled opinions by Trump on twitter hopefully gets ignored more in the press.
          On the high political stage Trump was an embarrassment. I welcome the US back into the real world. (again..)

1. MizBejabbers profile image89
            MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Applause is deafening!

Cynicism is the thing I won't miss too.

3. savvydating profile image89
          savvydatingposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ignorance: lack of knowledge or information... Democrats.

America loses.

2. Ken Burgess profile image77
      Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

A well chosen pic for the title IMO.

Very apt.

Thank, 1984 is coming, believe me.

Haha, it's already here for years. GPS tracking, Google speech recognition, Alexa, face recognition, Google personalized ads etc etc.

I mean coming in FULL FORCE.   1984 will be in FULL FORCE.

Yes, and we just voted in a man that will welcome it...We are headed for an Obama 2.5 four years of an invisible president, that lets Congress call all the shots. And we know pretty much nothing will get done due to gridlock. There is the chance of the Dems taking the Senate, then we will see a country that will breach civil war.

Yes, Biden will be a worse president than Obama & Obama was terrible. Obama was a smooth  *****artist.  He instituted Obama "care" which is a DISASTER.  Well, welcome to the decline.

This may sound funny --- But what I remember most about the Obama administration was that we very rarely saw him.  he laid very low, and sort of like a groundhog came out, well more than once a year, but rarely. It would well appear Biden had already adopted this hiding in his basement, and I would guess he will now hide in the White House. And yes
                  Obama gets an A+ for his speeches they were very dramatic but left me SMH. thinking "what did he really say" in the end...  I agree we are ultimately in for a decline all around.

2. Credence2 profile image79
                Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Why are you talking about Civil War now? How long do you think that I have had to live with a recalcitrant GOP led Senate, and for a long time, the House of Reps. This all not to mention the Executive held by a man that I could hardly stand.

So, if the Left had to live with all of this, then the Right will have to live with the new situation of the tables turned, without all of the fuss.

3. peterstreep profile image80

One huge difference is that the US is finally seeing the climate crisis for what it is. A crisis. Trump did not even belief in it, let alone take action.

You may be premature in your opinion. Our politicians lie, it will be interesting if Biden does much of anything on climate. Oh yes, he will rejoin the Pairs Climate Agreement. That will offer him a nice photo op. and a talking point.

You forget that the Obama Admin had the US supporting the Paris Accord agreements.

Trump pulled America out of that.

Trump fought China, Germany, Canada, Mexico, etc. on Trade Agreements... you could call it protective of US interests over foreign interests or International Corporation's interests.

Trump made it more difficult to enter into the US using the Visa or Refugee programs. When the Obama Admin had just brought about the UN's Global Compact on Migration

Trump stonewalled groups of tens of thousands who marched up through Central America and Mexico to reach the Southern Border.

Trump rescinded Obama's Executive Orders that put heavy restrictions on power, mining and drilling operations as well as many of the orders that gave preferential treatment to foreign and international bodies over US's best interests.

Trump put pressure on NATO (the EU) to pay its fair share.

Trump removed American support for many UN bodies, the WHO, and refused to engage in opening new war fronts even when "provoked" by incidents involving Syria and Iran.

Trump made far more enemies than allies in the political arena, in the international financial sectors (foreign and corporate) and he pursued a 20th Century Nationalistic policy at a time when the World has never been closer (mostly due to technological advances) to reaching a Global "unity" World Order.

1. wilderness profile image93

Just a thought, but have you (or anyone else) considered that the Global World Order consists of Europe (and, I suppose, Australia) wishing to push their culture and philosophy on the rest of the world?

They aren't taking American (or Japanese or Indian or any other) culture and philosophy as their own: the want America to become what Europe is, and to become a part of it, at least politically.  European colonialism, in other words, carried out by politicians rather than explorers and soldiers.

Or so I see it.

Wilderness, as far as I know I listen to jazz, soul and funk music. I watch Hollywood movies, there are thousands of Burger Kings and McDonalds in Europe (I’m a veggie,so not for me),  I have  windows computer and a IPad, drink coca cola in the summer..etc. Etc.
            So I don't think you have to worry about the “European” culture trying to dominate the American one.

I wasn't thinking so much of the products we supply the world with but the underlying political philosophy of the EU vs the US.  The #1 difference being the nanny state where government is responsible for the lives and decisions of individuals.  while the US is proceeding in that direction, they are far behind the EU and I don't see the EU trying to instill that "responsibility for self" back into their citizens.  Instead they require the US to not only become another nanny state but to take care of the world as well.

A prime example might be the balance of costs of NATO - the US has long borne far more that it's share of those costs.  Same for the UN - the US bears the burden of the lion's share of costs for the UN.  We are responsible, in the eyes of Europe, for giving our wealth away as Europeans deem fit.

If you don't want the US to be responsible for the rest of the world. should it not be fair that the UN invokes the possibility for the US to have a veto? And only let China, Russia and France and the UK be members of the security counsel?
                There is a pricetag on having influence. If the US is not willing to pay, it should give up it's privileges.

Most countries are doing fine in the EU. And if you call them nanny states, so be it. The most "nanny state like" states like Norway, Sweden and the Netherlands or Germany are not bad countries to live in, and are amongst the most democratic countries in the world. With a good economy, a good middle class, well educated, they have freedom of speech, freedom of religion. What is wrong with that?

No, you don't get to assign a "pricetag", a financial liability, on your own.  This is a very basic property of contract law; it requires an agreement between both parties.  You may not assign it all on your own.  Or on the basis of the EU deciding that the US owes money that it did not agree to.

Nothing is wrong with it...for those people that wish to live that way.  For those that do not, what is wrong with that?  What is wrong with wanting a smaller government, a government that interferes much less in the lives of individuals?

This is the crux of the problem/question, it seems to me.  EU citizens like what they have and see no reason that Americans won't like it too.  Whereupon they demand that Americans become like Europeans, and create that nanny state that Europeans like.  That was my point; that Europeans are wanting the entire world to follow their philosophical bent, and do so without regard to what anyone else likes.

that Europeans are wanting the entire world to follow their philosophical bent, and do so without regard to what anyone else likes.

I see, but I don't think that's the case. Even in Europe governments are hugely different and how they function. And there is often tension between the South of Europe and the North.
                    I think every country is strong enough to organize it's own government. I do not think the US will go "Nanny state European like" to be honest Wilderness. The US has it's own government structure like any country has it's own, grown through the years.
                    I don't know who has a bigger government the US or Germany?
                    And if you talk about philosophical bent, I guess you mean ideas and values. They are different in each country. And even inside a country they can differ. I bet Southern US is different from Northern US and how they see thinks.
                    But in a way you are right to say that Europe wants the entire world to follow their "moral standards - political point of view" But I would include the US in it too. And change your sentence into:

-that West is wanting the entire world to follow their philosophical bent, and do so without regard to what anyone else likes.-

As this is what has happened over the last centuries. Don't forget that the US had a huge cultural influence over the world since WWII, and so it's philosophical bent.
                    The empire of the US and Europe is on it's end and China's empire is starting. And although I'm often critical about the US (and the European Union too) I will never ever go for a dictatorship like China.
                    But over all this politics is in the end the power of money and huge cooperation's like Apple, Facebook, Shell, Chevron, Unilever, Nestlé etc. They are the ones who shape our world.

Here is the problem with that, the EU was able to develop what they now have because of America's benevolence and protection.

America has paid the freight for policing the world and protecting the EU from those nations that would have been willing to use force against them.

America has paid the freight to keep the oil flowing and the tradeways of the seas open for all.

Europe & Canada have had it easy for the last 75 years thanks to America... now they are going to have to get used to a slightly less benign (to them) power dominating the globe, as China takes control, they are going to pay for things America once provided.

New World Order may have meant many things in the past, but the current reality is:

International Corporations and Agencies (IE - WB, WHO) having ultimate authority and control, superseding National authority.

AND

America's decline and China's rise to ultimate Global Authority/Power.

There was the Dutch Colonial Empire that gave way to
            The British Colonial Empire that gave way to
            The American "Empire" that is now giving way to
            The Rise of China

Every single economic and cultural indicator suggests that this decline is now irreversible, many of the efforts being made by Trump certainly slowed that transition (right up until the Covid Pandemic conveniently hit), but for it to be stalled or reversed would have required a massive National effort that the entire political body and majority of the populace got behind to make happen in the coming decade(s).

We of course, have no such unity, and no such political will in DC.

Trump was a disruptor to the progression toward a  "New World Order" ... where America fades into a more minor role globally, and becomes a less significant economic factor globally, as China moves to the forefront and then India.

This is a question, not a challenge:  Please explain more about why you say India.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77

The economy of India is currently the world's third largest in terms of real GDP (PPP) after the United States and China. According to the World Bank, India overtook China to become the fastest-growing major economy in the world as of 2015.

Continued growth and development of India is going to continue at a rate as fast as occurred with China, if not faster...as many corporations and nations shift from working with China to working with India.

India, like China, has an enormous population/labor force of 1.4 Billion to pull from.

3. Credence2 profile image79

The way you see it is wrong, Wilderness. Who is pressuring America to change? Why would Europe bother to want to change America in its image?

What changes here will be wrought from internal sources.

The so called "Global World Order" is just more "Great Pumpkin" stuff conservatives like to have another conspiracy about.

2. peterstreep profile image80

I “forgot” a lot of things Ken. The thing I wanted to adress was the climate crisis. An worldwide threat that Trump didn’t acknowledge let alone tackle.

2. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 3 years ago

I think much of the election was unprecedented. I think many things done degraded the integrity of our traditions, as they relate to voting, and we are justified in feeling it has eroded our trust. Rigged? That's a loaded word.  We have seen how different people's definition of words are. Certainly efforts were made to facilitate a desired outcome. By many parties. Efforts I have no respect for.  But that is the problem with our laws.  Legal and moral ceased to be synonymous for politicians long ago.

As to a Biden America.  The man hasn't taken office.  He's spoken out of both sides of his mouth so much I have no idea what he really thinks so we'll just have to wait and see.

"Legal and moral ceased to be synonymous for politicians long ago."

Synonymous?  Those words aren't even in the vocabulary of most politicians...except as a tool to dispose of opponents.

2. Sharlee01 profile image79

If one listens to his speeches they are typical and say little. He is continuing to promote himself as a healing president, yet he has no real power to heal. he is using pretty much the gamebook Obama used.  "Tell em what the need to hear, not the truth..."

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No, he cannot wave a magic wand and heal the nation, but at least he can speak to all Americans in a manner that seeks to bring us together. He specifically said he would seek compromise on The Hill. I know it's just words at this point but it is a refreshing change. It will be up to us citizens to hold our members of Congress accountable.  Kentucky, are you listening?

1. IslandBites profile image90
          IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think Mitch likes him better than he liked Trump. big_smile

Maybe all of them will get to work now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DwViUnkwMQ

1. profile image0

Wow, that was a nice tribute. Of course, he was saying goodbye to Biden as VP. Let's hope he can be just as magnanimous when saying hello to President Biden.

Ha! I was somewhat joking about the work part. MM has proven he's a petty little man. One can hope but...

You have clearly pointed out a problem, his manner is not one I prefer. It rings hollow, overused in political speeches. He offered nothing of an agenda. This is why Trump won, many of us don't want the status quo. We have broken away from the status quo. There is no bringing together a society that has taken totally different paths. Many of us are not willing to go backward after we saw how easy it was to go forward.

I hope to see Biden show me something that will give me a bit of confidence that the is not the same old same old. And yes he needs Washington elites to work with him. Unfortunately, they all on both sides know nothing but the same old same old.

1. profile image0

I thought y'all said Biden is under the thumb of socialists who want to fundamentally transform America?

I'm really confused now....

And I really cannot, no matter how hard I try, view anything Trump did as "moving forward."  Quite the opposite. Wasn't his slogan, "Make America Great Again," meant to say he would return America to its past glory?

I was referring to your statement - "No, he cannot wave a magic wand and heal the nation, but at least he can speak to all Americans in a manner that seeks to bring us together" I was just pointing out to me his words were status quo, and ring hollow.

I regard to agenda, I don't think he ever offered much of one. I do realize many on the right have the thought he will lean left with his policies due to media banter. I can't comment will he or won't he. I would be guessing. Time will tell.

If I were to give a shot in the dark opinion I would think his presidency will follow a do-nothing path, fly below the radar, as President Obama did. I think due to the Washington elites on both sides will stand in his way of getting anything done as they did with Obama in his last three years. That's what Washington elites do -- staus quo

Make Amerca great Again could mean several things. Yes, I think he did mean let's fix what he felt the previous administration broke, and go far beyond what we could be.  I have come to realize Trump's accomplishments did not affect all American's. Some benefited more than others.

I think Biden will have a hard time accomplishing anything with a Republican House. That's why I don't worry about a liberal VP like Kamala Harris. Bill Clinton was able to balance the budget and put a halt to permanent welfare, but he had so much interference he couldn't accomplish much else. I think the Republicans will harass Biden any way they can.

I also think the Republican Senate will be a stumbling block, as we see in most administrations. Yes, I am very sure the Republicans will dish up payback.  Many of us on the right sat and watched the daily battle Trump faced from the Democratic Congress as well as media. much of it not deserved. That's water under the bridge. In my view, the Republican party has realized we the supporters will no longer settle for the conservative value of turning the other cheek. I think many of us are over being slapped silly. LOL

The divide is deep, and yes it needs much repair. However, the ground at this point will not support much, it is ready to collapse. I think first the Rep will splash around the Hunter/ Joe/ Bobulinski accusations, that will keep them busy for a bit, maybe even run it into an impeachment. Who knows? This man has physical evidence he handed over to the FBI, I guess it would depend on the weight of the info, does it actually prove a crime or just lobbing.  Once that's cleared up, I think one way or the other we can move on.  Joe's "Time tom heal" rings very hypocritical at this point, and convenient at this juncture.

I am going to do my best to be very fair in regards to Biden. But I am unwilling to just turn the other way due to his "time to heal" sentiment. My president was never excepted, even though in my view he did a wonderful job running the country. He accomplished much, most that went unnoticed. So, I will judge Biden as I did Trump, not for words or perhaps scandals the rightwing media may run with. I will judge him by deeds. I will give credit where due. You see, I look past groupthink, and media hype and I will for Biden.  I like facts, which I saw little of from the left in these past 4 years.

"Yes, I am very sure the Republicans will dish up payback.  Many of us on the right sat and watched the daily battle Trump faced from the Democratic Congress as well as media. much of it not deserved."

Payback has been dished out since the Clinton administration. I think if it hasn't been in the past, then a new precedent was set then. I hope not, but that seems to be the wave of the political future.
                    Sharlee, I'm glad you are willing to give the Biden administration a chance. I almost voted for Trump because I didn't like some of Hillary's policies, so I was willing to give him a chance in the beginning. He made me so sick in the first year with his demands over that damned wall that I became glad that I didn't vote for him. Especially when he diverted money earmarked for the military to pay for it. Then when he began his crusade of firing the very people he had bragged about being such good people in the first place, I lost confidence in his ability to make good decisions.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
                    GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"Yes, I am very sure the Republicans will dish up payback."

. . . . and if so, the Republicans will be no different than the Democrats they have complained about for four years.

It has to stop somewhere Sharlee. I would like to see it stop now, with the Republicans fighting the 'good fight', but fighting for the American people instead of their party politics.

The Republican agenda shouldn't be "payback," it should be actions that show the American people what they are about, not what they are against. They, (or the democrats), shouldn't be strutting to their base, they should be proselytizing to the American public.

If you want people to flock to your light, then you need to make sure it shines, not just cast shade.

GA

2. MizBejabbers profile image89

I agree with you. Seems like Trumper supporters can't make up their mind. I guess they just don't trust people with good manners.

In no way did I want to project I was judging Biden's general manners. This statement was meant to point out  I did not appreciate the manner in regard to his speeches are very much very wordy, what one could expect. I pointed out in my view he offered nothing in the way of an agenda.  I certainly did not hope to insult his manners. I used the word manner in the context of , a way of doing, being done.

"You have clearly pointed out a problem, his manner is not one I prefer. It rings hollow, overused in political speeches. He offered nothing of an agenda."

I certainly prefer good manners, and even though a "Trumper" .And I find your remark an example of poor manners...  However, I can understand if you perhaps did not comprehend the meaning of my comment.

I was speaking of his supporters who applaud when Trump disses the disabled or the parent of a military person killed in action. That is hurtful bad manners and Biden does not do that. If that was rude of me, then are you approving their rudeness?

Your comment was in response to one of PP posts ---
                    "I agree with you. Seems like Trumper supporters can't make up their mind. I guess they just don't trust people with good manners".

There was no mention in PP post about Trump supporters or actually anything Trump said at any point.  Here is the PP post you were replying to.   

"PRETTYPANTHER WROTE:
                    I thought y'all said Biden is under the thumb of socialists who want to fundamentally transform America?

I'm really confused now...

And I really cannot, no matter how hard I try, view anything Trump did as "moving forward."  Quite the opposite. Wasn't his slogan, "Make America Great Again," meant to say he would return America to its past glory?"

I just took offense at your view that "Trumper supporters can't make up their mind. I guess they just don't trust people with good manners"

My manners dictate I look the other way,  and consider others have the right to say whatever they please.

I guess I am a Trumper, but I felt we had a bit of a rapport developing, looking beyond just politics. It would appear I was mistaken.

3. Ken Burgess profile image77

I really thought this was broken down long ago.

Trump represented America 1st, nationalism, closed borders, tariffs on products made outside the U.S., keeping the racist system that has always been at the heart of America intact, and then there are his Russian Connections...

Biden represents open borders and embracing globalism, not the arrogant America 1st position Trump pursued but the idea of a unified world where America is but one of many countries no better than any other, confronting our racist system and forwarding Social Justice, rescinding tariffs and allowing free trade and international corporatism to thrive.

The difference between the two on the international stage, in foreign affairs, and here at home could not be greater.

3. peterstreep profile image80

A huge majority of the votes went to Biden. He had more then 5 million more votes then Trump. Is it not obvious that the Amrican people wanted a different president?
      This does not leave much room for error, does it?

As for Biden's America. That's difficult to tell. At least the POTUS twitter account is not screaming insults any more.

1. GA Anderson profile image89

We must have different views on what a "huge majority" is. That "5 million" only amounts to 3% of the vote.

GA

I know. But 3% is a lot when you want to make a claim about voting fraud. Biden was not stealing away the election as some claim. It was not a matter of hundreds of votes like the Bush Gore election.

You don't need to find 3% fraud to change the election.  Only a small fraction of 1%...in the right places.

only 1%....how much is that... over a million votes....You actually think that over 1.6 million votes in the right places are fraudulent. You really think that? Be a man and except reality. Something Trump apparently is unable to do. Trump living in Trumpland, Even FOX News is accepting the election results.

First, "a small fraction of 1%" is not 1% and thus not 1,600,000 votes.

Second I do not think that significant fraud will be uncovered because I do not think it is there.  My only comment addressed what was needed, in the way of fraud, to change the election and not how much there was.  I took exception to the insinuation that 1.5M votes would have had to be fraudulent to change the election - it is completely false and I explained why.

Be a man and read a post for what it says, not what you can twist it into.  (That bit of verbiage was beneath you and totally unexpected. sad)

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Now that we have that 3% in perspective, I am not about to follow a partisan line about voter fraud. My view is that the 'dead voters' is an inconsequential occurrence that happens in every election, benefitting or harming both parties. It is just a fact of life that voter roles are susceptible to it. The charges of outright 'batch vote' fraud don't hold water for me until I see more than anecdotal evidence that it occurred. I think the poll watchers/polling place counting charges are bogus. So, I am not jumping on the vote fraud bandwagon—yet.

However, there is one problem I can see legitimately coming down the pike, and that is the Pennsylvania Court's 3-day extension to accepting mail-in ballots. I am fine with the practicality of the ruling; if a ballot is properly postmarked I don't see it as unacceptable to give the USPS, (U.S. Postal Service), a few days to get it delivered.

But . . . from what I have read about the Court's decision and the State's Constitution, it does seem like the Court over-stepped. Pennsylvania's Constitution clearly addresses the issue, and the Court's ruling does seem to usurp Legislative prerogatives—contrary to the state's law.

And if that view is right, heaven help us when those post-election day mail-in ballots are voided. Cities will burn.

GA

And if that view is right, heaven help us when those post-election day mail-in ballots are voided. Cities will burn.

I hope not, that's the last thing the US needs.
              As I see it, the US has a internal problem to solve. And I'm not sure if it is solvable in the near future.
              I can't pinpoint the problem, and perhaps there are more issues at hand. But it looks as the gap between generations, races, sexes and perhaps religions is wider then ever. Maybe the US needs something everybody can be proud of again, nothing political. Perhaps a landing on Mars or a first man on the bottom of the ocean.
              The internet spoiled the wonders of the world though. Even a moon landing again won't do the trick. (Oh, seen that one on internet, done that already...)
              Maybe I'm completely wrong about this, could well be. But it appears to me like this.
              By the way the US is not the only country struggling with an "identity crisis", Spain too for example is struggling with the new politics of 5 parties, instead of 2. And here too there is a generation gap of thoughts of how to solve problems. The Climate Crisis is probably the biggest one young people are worried about here in Europe. Their future.

This whole election is perhaps symbolic of this struggle.

3. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago

A Biden America: A place where the POTUS formulates policy through careful consultation with knowledgeable and experienced advisors, not by watching Fox and Friends.

LOL  You left out the leaders of the Democratic party - that will top the list of any advisors.

This seems very premature? I would think it would be hard to predict a Biden presidency, he offered no real solid policies as of yet.  Other than what he might do in regard to the virus.  His agenda was vague at best, and to be fair one perhaps would not want to judge him on his past history in Washington. he did nothing that stands out in 40 some years.

So, why not a clean slate, let's see what he does, not predict.  At this point, I find his call for healing obtrusive and hypocritical. The Dem's will most likely get lots of what they dealt out for the past four years. So all the advisors in the world may not help Biden to any real extent.

It will be interesting to watch.

1. profile image0

Biden has an agenda. I realize it was difficult to hear it over Trump's incessant bellowing,

Of course he has an agenda - that goes without saying.

First and foremost is to get Trump out of the political scene.  Personally I have little doubt that the goal is prison - that way he can't interfere in any other liberal projects.

Next is to give amnesty (again) to all the illegal aliens flouting our laws.

He wants free health care for all, using the "rich" to make it "free".

He intends to soak the rich for more money to pay for what he wants but can't afford.

He wants Americans to bear the brunt of improving the world, and supporting the world's poor.  Whether financial or otherwise, America has to pay the lion's of the cost.  It will be interesting to see if he negates Trump's changes in the financial support of NATO, again forcing the American taxpayer to cover the costs for those nations that don't want to pay their own share of their protection.

Just a few of what I've managed to pull from his speeches.

So as I said why not a clean state... let's see what he does. It is apparent we come from different camps.  I am one opinion, I do not see any well-formed Biden agenda. I find him vague, he flip-flopped throughout the campaign again in my opinion. I am open to waiting and seeing what he does. I have little faith he will get anything done due to his history, and the fact at this point we have a majority Senate.

And Trump need not have had to be brought into the conversation. A conversation. We were discussing Biden. And Biden could have been heard if he decided to answer questions, and share a bit more.   I as a rule come by my opinion with an open mind and a lot of thought,

2. IslandBites profile image90

he did nothing that stands out in 40 some years.

Maybe you forgot.

To repeat  --- His agenda was VAGUE  at best, and to be fair one perhaps would not want to judge him on his past history in Washington. he did nothing that stands out in 40 some years.

His time in Washinton was that of a Senator that did little. You have taken the time to find a couple that I submitted in a conversation. I as I said in my opinion he did nothing that stands out. That is my opinion. His record was lackluster for being in office for so many years. Your baiting. Read my entire comment, and take into consideration what the subject was, and the full context of my comment.  Here is the comment I was responding to.

"PRETTYPANTHER WROTE:
          A Biden America: A place where the POTUS formulates policy through careful consultation with knowledgeable and experienced advisors, not by watching Fox and Friends."

My reply ---
          "SHARLEE01 WROTE:
          This seems very premature? I would think it would be hard to predict a Biden presidency, he offered no real solid policies as of yet.  Other than what he might do in regard to the virus.  His agenda was vague at best, and to be fair one perhaps would not want to judge him on his past history in Washington. he did nothing that stands out in 40 some years.

So, why not a clean slate, let's see what he does, not predict.  At this point, I find his call for healing obtrusive and hypocritical. The Dem's will most likely get lots of what they dealt out for the past four years. So all the advisors in the world may not help Biden to any real extent.

It will be interesting to watch."

The full context just matters...  And let me remind you we all have opinions, I offered an opinion on how I see it.  I have no argument with your thoughts or do I intend to defend my comment to you.

And let me remind you we all have opinions, I offered an opinion on how I see it.  I have no argument with your thoughts or do I intend to defend my comment to you.

Those were your thoughts, not mine.

Btw, you just did.

4. Slarty O'Brian profile image81
    Slarty O'Brianposted 3 years ago

Couldn't agree more. But I'm sure he's not for "open" borders the way Republicans say it. Legal imigration and sanctuary for those genuinely looking for for a safe place to live. Yes. And he won't cage up kids and forget who they belong to as punishment for asking for help and a better life. 

Now I just hope people aren't dumb enough to reelect Trump in 4 years  Maybe New York will make that impossible. That's probably why he's fighting so hard not to admit defeat. He's probably scared out of his head. Not that he ever had one.

What do YOU think he will do with kids that illegally cross the border?  Set them free, with their parents and siblings, to wander the country as they see fit, while falsely claiming that they will surely return to be deported?

Plus, of course, his plan for another round of amnesty for those that have already crossed illegally.

How is that NOT "open borders"?

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image81
        Slarty O'Brianposted 3 years agoin reply to this

An open boarder would be like the EU where you can just go work and live where ever you want. Like you can do in all the states of the US. That's not what he wants to do. That's how it's not an open boarder. 

As to kids coming in illegally, I'm sure they don't just walk in by themselves. Yes, if you catch people coming in illegally, find out why, and if they qualify for help, help them. If not, deport them or throw them in jail. But the kids aren't to blame, they didn't choose to do anything.  Why cage them up? And if you put them in foster care keep records for dog sake. 

Only an  incompetent  moron does it like Trump did.

Then you must be an "incompetent moron", because you're advocating exactly what Trump did.

ALL of them come in for a better life, that's standard.  It takes months to years to see if they qualify for help, because of the backlog created by people lying to those wanting in.

Which means what?  Jail, deportation or walk free during those months/years.  Which are you choosing?

(Anyone that thinks there were no records kept of where the kids went needs to re-think that.)

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image81
            Slarty O'Brianposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Every country has immigration laws. From January 2017 to March 2018, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police intercepted 25,645 people crossing the border into Canada illegally. Public Safety Canada estimated that another 2,500 came across in April 2018 for a total of just over 28,000, of which 1,000 had been removed from Canada. Federal government ministers expected that "close to 90 per cent" of asylum claimants would be rejected.

Are we building walls? No.

If you enter illegally you get an interview by the RCMP. Not fun. If you aren't a security risk you're sent to the Canadian boarder service for screening. We do on average around 300000 a year since 2017, legal and illegal.

If you are a risk or criminal you get deported and spend a bit of time in jail..

Canada is a signatory of the United Nations' 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol, which forbids imposition of penalties on refugees who may have entered in contravention to national laws in order to seek protection; this only applies to claimants while their case is being processed and to persons formally recognized as refugees.

If the US signed this agreement as well, it clearly says you can't punish genuine refugees.

If you are a refugee you need to go to a legal point of entry emediately and make your case or you will face charges, which would be dropped if you qualify, but not if you don't..

Kids of people who are jailed go to Children's Aid, a government institution, where they are properly cared for. and if they ever lost some they would be in deep shit. It doesn't happen.

"(Anyone that thinks there were no records kept of where the kids went needs to re-think that.)"

Really? So they were deliberately destroyed? That would be even better, right? Someone is lying, that's pretty obvious.

Your belief in what open borders means is incorrect.

The UN's Global Compact on Migration...

I wrote an article about it called "The End of America" as a Sovereign State it breaks down what it means, when it happened, etc.

Open Borders means just that... Open Borders.

Biden supports (as did Obama) the Global Compact on Migration and will FULLY comply with it.

As for Trump, he is done, they may prove their case in PA, they may prove Fraud in six different states, the votes don't matter, its what people believe and what the establishment wants that matters.

The MSM including Fox, has been calling it for Biden for days, the fix is in, the reality of who really won is irrelevant to what is going to happen.

Trump will be removed... and the Global Compact for Migration, Digital Wallets and Social Credit, Paris Accord Environmentalism, subservience to China's will all gets back on track.

5. profile image52
    streamvnposted 3 years ago

I don't like Biden.

1. profile image0

I didn't like either candidate.

6. DoubleScorpion profile image78
    DoubleScorpionposted 3 years ago

I don't think we will have a Biden America for very long...Nancy was already talking about the 25th amendment...so, We are most likely looking at a Harris America...

There are going to be those who may come to seriously regret their decisions. Some already are.

I suppose we will see how things play out over the next year or so.

1. Credence2 profile image79

"There are going to be those who may come to seriously regret their decisions. Some already are."

After what we have been put through the last 4 years, not likely. Not me, anyway.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
        DoubleScorpionposted 3 years agoin reply to this

We will see.

May I ask what was the most egregious action trump committed that affected you personally? I am speaking of an action, not words that you feel insulted your senses.   An action that you found unacceptable.

Well, Sharlee, Trump's attacks on Obama were vicious and racist at the core, and I hold that against him. I am a black fellow, so it would not be strange that I would take that personally. You attack a man over his politics, political stance, etc. Trump's attacks were petty and indicative of a man with more than a just few deficits in his character. The birther thing was an "action" that went beyond words.

There are more, but I would run out of bits and bytes to list them all.

But are not those words? I was asking about his actions, deeds.  What did you disapprove of when it came to his job performance? My comment was not clear enough.

Hell, we would most likely share a list of things he has said that really made us mad or discussted.

His tardy response to the Coronavirus outbreak, his denial and downplaying of the pandemic, his encouraging unsafe behavior personally or through non-wearing mask promotions for public gatherings in direct conflict with the scientific opinion, which is far more credible than his. Opening up- without regard to safety and without a real plan that take into account all factors.

I think this is where he fell short in the biggest way, which I believed cost him the election.

I don't agree I regard to how he handled COVID. I followed the timelines, the facts on what action was taken and when it was taken, I took into consideration, what we as a nation knew, and when we knew it.  I was careful not to take some of Trump's personal or uneducated "
                opinions " into consideration. I stayed to facts. What he did when who he relied on, and who he chose for the task force, how he went about organizing PPE, vents, field hospitals, and his Warp Speed program. Which as a nurse  I felt was the most important piece that could help develop the herd we need with a good vaccine. I shudder to think back on what was not done by our Government during H1N1. 

I do agree he did not use good sense having rallies. Did it lose him the election?  I think it was solely why he lost. It's all Biden ran on, he had nothing else to run on, many did not see past that...  Many have very short memories and have very selective memories.  This is where we are, this is where many seem to be satisfied being. I am unwillingly along for the ride, not a person that paid for such a ride, but none the less on the ride.

And yes he should have worn the mask. He could have just worn it like other politicians. And then on his off time went out to dinner without it. Or celebrated in a crowd in the streets without a mask or visited wineries as our Gov did --- without an ask or distancing.  He could have been a phony like many of the rest. It would have been so easy. Guess Trump just does not do easy, just not a politian. Oh, chucks...

I have the same feeling...

7. Shafqat-M profile image79
    Shafqat-Mposted 3 years ago

Biden's America would, for the most part, try to bridge global economies and organizations such as UN, WHO together, with America taking the centre stage once again.

So, instead of Trump's GO ALONE, it will be MARCH TOGETHER, I presume.

8. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 3 years ago

Separating children from their parents at the boarder. That's one. How many do you want? And how bad do they have to be?

Are foreign lawbreakers more important, and should receive preferential treatment, over Americans?  We separate children from law breaking parents every day - should citizens of foreign countries be exempt from the law that way?

1. profile image0

You continue to characterize asylum seekers as law breakers, which is wrong. Children were removed from parents who lawfully sought asylum at the border.

9. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 3 years ago

On the other hand: what have Democratic presidents done that affected you personally? Social Security? Healthcare?

Kathleen, it would help enormously if you would use the "reply" button under a post when replying to that post rather than the large button at the bottom right.  It makes your posts very difficult to understand when you do that, at least when viewing in the "chronological" mode rather than "threaded".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)