Medium writers: Can you help?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (33 posts)
  1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

I'm aiming to try Medium. I've seen others say things like, "It took me three months to figure out what I was doing there," so I'm trying to reduce that learning period with research. I've already learned a lot just from reading the Medium Guides, but I have a couple of questions, which I've put below.

(BTW I'm not intending to abandon HP, I want to do Medium in addition, not instead.)

Anyway, here's a couple of questions for which I'd be very grateful to hear responses. Thanks in advance.

1. I gather that you can you publish at both HP and Medium (just need to publish HP article first and get it indexed by Google)? Any disadvantages to this?

2. Am I right in thinking that just as the main objective in HP is to get your article into the niches, in Medium the aim is to get your material into the publications?

1. stuff4kids profile image62
      stuff4kidsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

@glennstok is your man for this, I think.

PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Maybe, yes. I was originally thinking Bev or Tess were perhaps the most experienced Medium writers, who tend to come on this forum.

If I don't get a response, there are other avenues. I suspect that I know the answers to the questions, but always good to get some personal experiences.

1. theraggededge profile image96
          theraggededgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can republish at Medium and set a canonical link, which means the Medium article isn't indexed by Google. Thus, the article is only viewable by Medium members (which is how you get paid)

I have hundreds of articles on another site, which I am rewriting and repurposing. So if you have material elsewhere....

It's not as important as it was to get your articles into publications anymore, although it's helpful. I have my own for my stuff.

Tess is the one to ask really.

I am there as Bev-G

Thank you for your answer, I'll probably start over there soon. But I might publish here first, wait a few days for indexing, then take it over at Medium.

I stay away from politics on HP, but I may choose that as a topic for Medium.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68
              Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I also will try Medium some day.

1. Moondot1822 profile image95
                Moondot1822posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, we can't! Because the partner program is not available in our countries.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
              Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Paul, when you take your HubPages article over to Medium, remember to insert the Canonical Link, which shows Google the original on HubPages so you don't have duplication issues.

I discussed this in one of my tutorials published under my Medium publication: “Writer’s Unblocked Potential.”

This is how you do that:

• Edit your article and click “More settings” under the three dots.

• Scroll all the way down to “Advanced Settings” and put a check mark in the box for “This story was originally published elsewhere.”

• Then you will see a field to enter the Canonical Link. That should be the link to your original article first published elsewhere, such as on HubPages.

Thanks for this. I presume doing this means I don't have to wait for Google indexing.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

In reference to your question, Paul, as long as Google bots see the canonical link, indexing will be done accordingly. Therefore, I don’t think it matters if you wait for the original to be indexed or not. But it doesn’t hurt to wait anyway.

I read both your articles, both were well-written and contained some interesting and useful info.

Tess has mentioned elsewhere that the formatting was something she found awkward at first. I'm going to read up on it, but would be interested in your (or others') opinion?

Thanks for mentioning me Amanda. In addition to my tutorials on Medium, I also have two articles here on HubPages about Medium that can be found under my profile.

I also highly recommend paying attention to Bev and Tess when dealing with questions about Medium. They both know what they are talking about.

I will checkout your HP articles. It took me many months to figure out HP enough to begin to get a reasonable income. Anything that can help me to shorten the learning period for Medium is much appreciated.

2. theraggededge profile image96
          theraggededgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

big_smile Not a clue, me. I rely on Tessa.

Will definitely check out your articles, Glenn.

2. OldRoses profile image96
      OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have been publishing on Medium for a year now.  Don't stress about doing the "right" thing because Medium is constantly changing their algorhythm.  Since there are no forums on Medium, writers have created Facebook groups to take the place of forums.  That is where I get most of my information about Medium.  What you are aiming for is "distribution."  Articles are distributed to readers who are interested in that topic.  Distribution is determined by the algorhythm.  No one understands how it works because Medium is not clear on it.  Don't bother reading articles on how to figure out the the mystery of getting your articles distributed.  No one really knows.  And don't get caught up in only publishing in the "big" publications with a lot of followers.  A publication with a large audience does not guaranteed you a lot of traffic.  A lot of people complain after finally being published in a large publication that they received little to no traffic.  I publish in a small, relatively obscure publication with less than 4,000 followers and earn 4 figures every month.  Almost all of my articles are distributed.  Write regularly about what you are most passionate about and your audience will find you.  It helps if you also comment on articles on similar topics to the ones that you write about.  That gets your name in front of people who are interested in that topic.  They may start reading your articles.  Please be aware that it is considered bad etiquette to link your own articles in your comments on other people's articles.  Use the link in my profile to email me if you have any more questions.

Thank you for your detailed response and help offer!

1. Solaras profile image95
          Solarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this information.  Are you writing about gardening over on Medium? Are you reposting HP articles on their site or only new articles? Isn't there some sort of fee you have to pay to get started? Thanks in advance.

1. OldRoses profile image96

Solaras, gardening doesn't do well on Medium, so I write about politics there which doesn't do well here on HP.  There is no fee to write on Medium.  If you want to read more than three articles per month, then you should buy a subscription, $5/mo or $50/yr.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

I also joined a FB forum on your advice. Thanks.

Happy to help!

3. Kenna McHugh profile image91
      Kenna McHughposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great discussion!

2. Miebakagh57 profile image68
    Miebakagh57posted 2 years ago

All these great discussions are interesting. Something good to add to my knowledge bank.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

I've got a Medium profile now: Paul Goodman. All followers welcome! I will follow back! Now I just need to write something! I intend to focus on politics and current affairs, maybe copy over some of my Soapboxie articles.

1. EricDockett profile image95
      EricDockettposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I see you found me. smile I just followed you.

I really want to contribute more over there, but like you I'm not sure what to write. I feel like anything with the possibility of getting search traffic is better off on HP.

Politics and current affairs get me too worked up and I would almost certainly write things I'd later regret. LOL!

Thanks for the follow.

I'm going to do politics and current affairs. I avoid it for two reasons on HP.

Firstly, like you, I can get wound up and end up wasting times arguing with people in the comments.

Secondly, in my experience, pure opinion pieces don't generally do well on here, in terms of views and earnings. It's also harder to make them evergreen, which is essential on HP.

I think I will see how it goes on Medium,

Eric, I see you are following me on Medium too. You are absolutely right that content for search traffic is better on HubPages. I have several articles on Medium that get a lot of Google traffic, and I feel bad that I don't get paid for that. I'm slowly moving those over to HubPages (deleting first and waiting for them to be deindexed).

On the other hand, I noticed that subjects my followers want, do fine on Medium. We get paid for that since most followers are subscribers.

Over time, you will accumulate followers that want more of the same. Then just keep writing along the same subject lines.

I like a change Medium made a while back, making payments based on read time instead of claps. Most people never think about applauding anyway. But when subscribers spend the time reading, we get paid.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68

Then, reading at Medium and hubpages are not the same?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

That's right, Miebakagh. Readers can read anything on HubPages, but are limited to three articles per month on Medium unless they subscribe. Subscribers can read any number of articles across the entire platform.

In case you're wondering, writers do not need to be subscribers.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image68

That is noted well. And should I cross over to Medium, I'll follow. Thanks.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97

That's great Paul. I see you followed me on Medium. I just followed you too. Good luck with your writing there. I'm sure you'll do well.

One thing to keep in mind when you get started is that evergreen articles written for organic search do better on HubPages in the long run, and content written specifically for your followers does better on Medium. That's what I discovered, but it might be different for others.

That has been my experience also on Medium and HP.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

I will likely customize each article a little. For instance, have a keyword orientated title for HP, change it to a more attention grabbing title for Medium.

I aim to publish each article on both platforms to start with and if the HP version doesn't get past Discovery, I will likely just delete it at some point.

I feel that I'm a reasonably versatile and experienced writer, but it's valuable to get the experiences and tips of writers already publishing somewhere! I really appreciate it.

What's your name at Medium, Caren/OldRoses, I couldn't find you there?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)