The Writer's Mailbag: Installment #392

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

Read Bill's latest Mailbag with its very interesting questions.
    https://hubpages.com/literature/The-Wri … llment-392

1. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Happy first Monday of the new year to Bill and everyone in the thread.
      Interesting questions and equally interesting answers by you.
      I love reading both fiction and non- fiction.
      I agree completely with your thoughts about joining HubPages. It has given us a lot over the years.
      Thank you for your optimism for the year 2022. May this year bring relief and happiness to everyone around the World.
      Thank you for sharing Bill’s mailbag, Pamela, and my best wishes to both of you.

2. billybuc profile image86
      billybucposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you always Chitrangada Sharan.  Your friendship means a great deal to me, and without HP I would never have had the pleasure to meet you and get to know you. Blessings always!

2. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

I am so glad you will at least be around some of the time. I found the questions very interesting, and full agree about the benefits of joining HP. I love fiction as it is an escape.

1. billybuc profile image86

Thank you, Pamela, for sharing this forum post and for your kind words.  I do enjoy nonfiction, but fiction will always be my first literary love.

3. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Thank you for sharing Bill’s Mailbag, Pamela.
    Great questions this week Bill. I too much prefer to write fiction. It is much more of a challenge than non-fiction ad offers a greater sense of escapism and use of imagination. Non-fiction has its place though of course.
    The funny thing is when it comes to TV shows I often prefer a true crime documentary than a crime movie of fiction, which may seem strange.

I hope you are right and 2022 is a much better year than the last couple. Glad you will still be sticking around HP just less active. I never have hesitation recommending it to new writers. If it wasn’t for HubPages I doubt I’d be writing either. All the best.

1. surovi99 profile image83
      surovi99posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Pamela, for sharing Bill's post.

Bill, very intriguing questions and wonderful answers. I really enjoyed the mailbag.

I know many self-improvement books fans who do not enjoy fiction. I myself feel inclined to read more self-help books than fictions although I do a lot of storytelling on this site.

I also hope 2022 to be a great year with opportunities and blessings. I really look forward to taking actions on some of my dream goals and making them materialize.

Happy Monday and a great week ahead.

Happy Monday, Rosina, and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I went through a self-help book phase about fifteen years ago. They were very helpful as I began to reconstruct myself into the person I wanted to be.  Happy reading, my friend.

2. billybuc profile image86

Thanks, John, and Happy New Year to you.  HP will always hold a special place in my heart, allowing me to know you and so many other gifted writers and quality human beings.  Happy Monday indeed, my friend.

4. Misbah786 profile image85
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

Happy Monday, Mr. Bill. Thank you so much for another fantastic mailbag and, of course, for the clarification. We don't want to get rid of you, and you know it, I believe. wink big_smile

I enjoyed reading all of the questions and answers in today's mailbag. I particularly enjoyed reading Ann's questions, and your responses as always were very interesting, helpful, and informative. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thank you for posting this discussion, dear Pamela. smile

Blessings always!!

Thank you Misbah! Yes, I do know I am loved here. I have always felt that love and support from people like you. It is very comforting to know there are people like me out there, writers who take their craft seriously.

I hope you have a brilliantly happy week ahead, my friend.

5. vidsagster profile image85
    vidsagsterposted 2 years ago

A very interesting mailbag with brilliant answers Bill. I agree with you, it's the story telling which attracts people. Like John I like to watch real life stories on TV.  For a writer connecting with his reader is important. You have started the first mailbag of the new year on a positive note which is great. I love Hubpages because I get the opportunity to read the amazing work of so many wonderful writers. I value the friendship with my Hubber friends. I have learned so much about writing here.  Have a great day and week ahead friend.

Happy Monday Vidya!

Thank you for your comments. I agree with them all, and I am very appreciative that we met on HP. I value your friendship.

6. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 2 years ago

Thanks, Pamela, for sharing the latest mailbag entry by our beloved Bill.  It is good to know that he will still occasionally check in with us as he begins his next venture of finishing books and begins his travels.  The questions were good ones.  I enjoy reading all types of books, but tend to read more fiction.  Yes, I too would recommend HP for beginning writers.  I have learned so much from them over the years.  I also enjoy meeting people from around the world who have become virtual friends.

So true, Peggy, about HP. I have my issues with them, but I will always be grateful for this site and all of the people I have met here; that definitely includes you, my friend.

7. Carb Diva profile image95
    Carb Divaposted 2 years ago

Bill, I agree with you that a work of fiction, book or movie, is a means of escape. When my girls were little I would tell them that with a book they could go anywhere and do anything. Like the Dr. Seuss book "Oh, the Place's You'll Go." (But that doesn't explain why I enjoy reading cookbooks as much as I do).

Hub Pages certainly isn't a moneymaker. I love it for the friends I've made over the years. But there's really not much "shoulder rubbing" anymore. I'm still hopeful that comments will be restored to something usable, but not sure I'll live long enough to see it happen.

I commented on Facebook, Linda, but it doesn't hurt to repeat that I greatly appreciate you and value your friendship.  You are one of the few Hubbers I have actually met in person, so that makes you special to me.

8. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

Bill
    First of all let me say, I'm delighted to hear we can't get rid of you that easy.

I've kinda gotten used to you being here.

As for fiction vs nonfiction I view nonfiction as like self help tools. 
    If I need to know something.

With fiction, I can let my mind explore.  It goes to depths unimaginable in reality.
    I can let my hair down so to speak.
    I used to love Stephen King books, but I haven't read any in awhile.

But he seems to take those simple things we are afraid of and stretch them out revealing our worst fears.

As writers, I have to agree with you...we love to communicate & we meet some interesting characters along the way.

As for Greg's question, I love your answer.
    HP helped give you confidence.

It has done that for me also and the wonderful group of Writers I have met is so worthwhile.

I hope you're right about Covid and 2022, but the numbers around my little piece of heaven are skyrocketing.

We are a strong bunch though.

Great article as always...so glad you will still be here now & then.

Thank you Brenda!  You just reminded me that I haven't read anything by King in a long, long time. I need to rectify that.

Happy New Year!  Better times are ahead of us, my friend.

9. bdegiulio profile image95
    bdegiulioposted 2 years ago

A great mailbag, Bill.  I would also recommend HP if someone asked.  It’s been a wonderful journey for me so far and despite the ups and downs I will continue to be here in some form for the foreseeable future.  Have you had a chance to test out that drone yet?

They can't keep a good man down, Bill! Glad you plan to stay with HP for the future. I would miss you.  The drone hasn't been delivered yet, but you can be certain I will write about that first flight.  Take care, buddy, and Happy Tuesday to you.

10. MizBejabbers profile image86
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

Thanks, Pamela, for sharing the link to Bill's latest mailbag.
    Bill, I actually had time to sit down this week and read the mailbag. Now I need to go back and read the last one I think I missed. I particularly enjoyed the question of why people read fiction. Escapism is exactly why I read fiction and historical novels. Of course my favorite is fantasy and science fiction. I've said this many times on HP. I am very easily bored by novels that take place within our own time period. Since I read for escapism, I want tales that take me away! It doesn't matter where -- to the future, to the past, or to another world. I probably read Bruce Catton's Civil War series. As a teenager, I read every Civil War story I could get my hands on because I was fascinated by the antebellum. Now I'm more fascinated by the future but still held spellbound by tales from the past.
    I didn't misinterpret your original explanation of where life is about to take you. I'm glad for you because you will probably be provided with more great material to write your tales. Bon Voyage, my friend.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)