Racism, Institutional or Otherwise, in America

Jump to Last Post 101-145 of 145 discussions (962 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image81
    Credence2posted 10 months ago

An interesting article, speaking to the still precarious racial relations in this society.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nazis-casual … 00308.html

1. GA Anderson profile image81
      GA Andersonposted 10 months agoin reply to this

For the article, your only out is that it was an opinion piece.

As a headline: "As Nazis casually dine in Fort Worth . . ." clearly announced the author's 'slant'.

Her first step was introduce the 'race victims': For the vibrant Generation Z, many members of which hail from Black, Latino and other historically marginalized communities . . . " Surely there were Caucasians in Gen Z, couldn't they be offended by or afraid of Nazis?

Then she appears to want folks to shoo the Nazi scum out of Torchy Tacos:

"White men brazenly adorned with Nazi insignias were seen dining at a Torchy’s Tacos, their presence largely unchallenged and their hate unrepudiated.":

Does that work for you, publically accosting someone you don't agree with, in a public restaurant, who, by the author's failure to claim otherwise, were just sitting there eating?

She elaborates on what she expects the 'good' public to do:
      "Contrast that with Fort Worth in 2023, where individuals flaunting symbols of hate dined undisturbed. They sat where they pleased, unburdened by the fear of violence or the weight of oppression, a privilege never afforded to those brave protesters from the civil-rights era. This stark contrast isn’t just a failure to remember history. It’s also a failure to honor the sacrifices made by those who fought for equality."

Her thoughts on the vouchers issue sound like more of her 'Nazis' opinion.

Nope, it sounds like its Right-winger counterparts. You shouldn't criticize NewsMax and Breitbart sources if you are offering something like this article.
      GA

Credence2posted 10 months agoin reply to this

I think that the very mention of NAZI anywhere will not be looked upon with a passing interest. Yes, it is a banner headline, but hardly inaccurate.

"Surely there were Caucasians in Gen Z, couldn't they be offended by or afraid of Nazis?"

I would have though so, but with rising young fascist stars like Nick Fuentes, White Generation Z could be participants in the new NAZI craze. One thing for sure, NAZI ideology naturally embraces whites, period, X,Y and Z. So those other "untermensch" can be assured that they won't be invited to the Taco Bar. So, I may not have the confidence to exclude younger whites from not playing a part in the resurgence.

It's a free country, GA, but I am not going to be comfortable dining next to people in NAZI uniforms and full Nazi regalia.

But Texas sucks generally, with DFW being the worst of it all.

Is there a "good" and "fair and balanced opinion" regarding NAZIs?

I know the lady goes into a litney and I won't deny that it is an opinion piece,  but it is still just observation on my part, with much of the political climate allowing for this encouraged by MAGA and this new assertive Rightwing.

GA Andersonposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I wouldn't want to sit near them either. I also wouldn't feel righteous enough to walk over and name them for what they are and tell them to get the hell out because they don't deserve to be around 'normal' folks.

That is what the author implied was the proper civilized response.

She has a point that such folks seem more brazenly open now (debatable?) but buries it with the negative reception of her presentation. The choir might see the 'truth' of her statements, but non-members (my perception) won't get to that part. The 'activist stuff turns them off as being just more 'race card evil white America' stuff.

GA

"I wouldn't want to sit near them either. I also wouldn't feel righteous enough to walk over and name them for what they are and tell them to get the hell out because they don't deserve to be around 'normal' folks."

And you would be out of line if you did so as they are as free to come and go as anyone else. But certainly not without having an effect on my opinion.

Unless you want to take issue with the stats of a Department agency, I would say that the fact that "these people" and groups have been more brazen in their presence, advocacy and attacks is a bit more than just an opinion.

https://www.justice.gov/crs/highlights/ … statistics

I would criticize tha author for bringing in the issue of the sit ins and public accommodations issues of the past as that might be a distraction to what needs to be pointed out.

That these sorts of groups and behaviors are growing nationally, it is not insignificant. The author provided us with a stark example of people that were once kept in the root cellar, now emboldened by the strident political Right and its MAGAtude to come out into the light of day.

It is evil, rightwing generated white America stuff and it turning out that there are too many cards in the deck with the same face to be just a "race card".

1. Ken Burgess profile image71
              Ken Burgessposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I would suggest that you consider why.

In order to do that, you have to let go of your own bias for a moment and put yourself in the other's shoes.

For example, put yourself in a young, poor, white man's shoes today.

This person grew up in one of the many trailer parks throughout the country, his dad was a violent alcoholic, who was in and out of his life, his mom smoked pot all day and didn't pay much attention to him, when she was there.  etc. etc. he came up in a crappy life, him and another 20 million "white" kids who don't live in a "Middle Class" or better world.

Today, white students comprise just 49.7 percent of the 50 million students enrolled.  So that 20 million is probably close to a correct amount. Unlike most, I recognize that there are far more poor white people than there are well-off white people.

So what does that white young man grow up hearing for the last ten-to-twenty years in our society?

He hears about Toxic Masculinity... how its a woman's world and men are oppressive. The time of the Patriarchy is over.

He hears about White Privilege... and probably wonders what in the world that is, cause he sure as hell hasn't had any.

He sees MSM support for movement after movement, BLM, taking a knee, Me Too, that tells him the bad guy is the white guy.

Many movies this past decade, or more, where the white guy is the villain, that the woman, or gay, or POC is insulting, insinuating, defeating, being derogatory to, often with no more explanation then because he is white.

He is growing up in a world today that is becoming similar to the one you witnessed in the 60s Credence. Certainly not to the point where he is physically barred from entry into "white's only" stores and buildings, but where he is discriminated against in a growing variety of ways, simply for being white and a man.

Our generation doesn't see it or feel it nearly as much as his does... a key ingredient to anyone who joins an extremism is the lack of purpose or direction in their lives combined with a desperation lack of opportunity and a rejection from larger society.

Some of them take to isolationism or escapism, others to whatever gives them some sense of belonging and meaning... one that rejects the messaging prevalent in our society today.

Alright, Ken, let's start here. This excerpt is part of a Health and Human Services research, and I won't waste time challenging the veracity of this source.

"According to the Census Bureau in 2021, the average non-Hispanic black median household income was $48,297 in comparison to $77,999 for non-Hispanic white households. In 2021, the U.S. Census Bureau reported that 19.5 percent of non-Hispanic blacks in comparison to 10.0 percent of non-Hispanic whites were living at the poverty level. In 2020, the unemployment rate for non-Hispanic blacks 25 years and over was higher than that of non-Hispanic whites (9.9. percent and 6.4 percent, respectively)."

So, the question is, how much does your heart bleed for them? Yet, inspite  of that, disenchanted members among our groups dont go to  Walmart
                and other retail stores to target white people with automatic weapons...

While you dismiss the idea of "white privilege", you certainly seem to me to have a sense of entitlement, (all women and minorities consigned to "their place" within the social order). None of us are willing to live under those terms, Ken.
                ------
                "Unlike most, I recognize that there are far more poor white people than there are well-off white people."

How do you know that when statistics from Government agencies say otherwise?

--------

Why should I be so concerned about what a young white man hears? To take the attitude that you assign to him would imply a sense of entitlement, that is unjustified. Maybe, it is time to grow up a little?

So what about BLM, now we are to be silenced in expressing our opinions because young white men are vexed? To show support for those wanting to curb the excesses of police brutality that more often than not have been directed at minority communities is making young white men upset? I just have to say "too bad".

White men are not always the villain but I won't deny that sometimes he is and the fact that young white men cannot accept that is why we have an MPAA movie rating system. Heaven forbid if we expose them to adult concepts and reality.

So, the answer for these young men is to blame the minorities and to embrace intolerance as if somehow WE are getting so much more than they are, really?

One thing for sure,  this "resentment" is definitely the petrol that MAGA and Trump supporters use to fuel their movement.

Ken Burgessposted 10 months agoin reply to this

The validity that the non-white population suffers a lower income, does NOT change the fact that there are MORE white people as equally poor and disenfranchised as they are.

I am sure you have heard that the world's richest 1% far exceeds the wealth of the poorest 50%, taking home more than half of global income.

The same is true about White Americans, the richest 1% far exceeds the wealth of the poorest 50% of whites.

The White alone non-Hispanic population is just barely at 50% today.

That means that roughly 90 million or more white people fall into the poor as anyone anywhere in America category.

That is more than the entire population of blacks in America of about 47 million, poor or rich.

I imagine that is a lot of people who are feeling pretty miserable about how things are shaping up.

They do not.

But they do have a way of making it look the way they want it to, statistics can be funny like that. 

Similar to how they re-adjust how they determine who is unemployed, or when they re-adjust how they determine inflation, and what to keep out of those factorings.

"The validity that the non-white population suffers a lower income, does NOT change the fact that there are MORE white people as equally poor and disenfranchised as they are."

But, Ken, there are MORE white people here, do we take that into consideration? We are talking about percentages and proportions. It is disengenous to make a point not giving consideration to that.
                    ---------

Demographic realities change, Ken. That is the nature of things. The overwhelming wealth remains in the hands of whites, who when  even becoming a plurality remains the largest one. We all know that wealth and power is the ultimate determinate as to who gets what. I believe that getting more parity in these areas is going to take longer, so no need for you to panic yet.

Ken, if I can't believe data from the Department of Health and Human services, how is your "observation" more reliable than their data?

2. My Esoteric profile image82
    My Esotericposted 6 months ago

Don't you find it highly ironic that the leader of the Party founded on an anti-slavery platform is supported by at best, 8% of Black voters.  There is a reason for that as Lying Trump keeps lying about how much "his African Americans" love him.

It is so very sad what has happened to a Party that had such a great beginning succumb to the baser instincts of man and woman and is now the Party of Big Government and taking away the freedom of hundreds of millions of women as well as those who aren't White and Protestant. 

Fortunately, we have the Democratic Party which has shed its oppressive beginnings (which looked much like today's Republican Party) has picked up that mantle of protecting freedom for all.

3. IslandBites profile image91
    IslandBitesposted 5 months ago

https://hubstatic.com/16961116.jpg

Ex-Mississippi police officer sentenced to 20 years for torture of two Black men

A former Mississippi sheriff’s deputy was sentenced to 20 years in prison for the torture of two Black men.

U.S. District Judge Tom Lee sentenced Hunter Elward on Tuesday, the first of six former officers to be sentenced for the racially motivated torture of Michael Corey Jenkins and Eddie Terrell Parker.

Elward, along with fellow Rankin County deputies Brett McAlpin, Christian Dedmon, Jeffrey Middleton and Daniel Opdyke and former Richland police officer Joshua Hartfield, illegally entered Jenkins’s and Parker’s home on Jan. 24, 2023, after a white person called McAlpin about two Black men staying with a white woman at a house in Braxton, Miss.

The officers proceeded to handcuff, kick, waterboard and use a Taser on the two men and attempted to sexually assault them, according to the lawsuit. During the torture, Jenkins and Parker allege the officers repeatedly hurled racial slurs at them.

The torture allegedly lasted nearly two hours and ended when, Elward admitted, he put a gun in Jenkins’s mouth and shot him in a “mock execution” that went awry.

After the torture, the officers then devised a cover-up by planting drugs and a gun at the scene, according to court documents. Jenkins and Parker faced false charges for several months.

Middleton will be sentenced Tuesday afternoon, while Dedmon and Opdyke will be sentenced Wednesday. Hartfield and McAlpin will face sentencing Thursday.

Months before federal prosecutors announced charges in August, an investigation by the Associated Press linked some of the deputies to at least four violent encounters with Black men since 2019 that left two dead and another with lasting injuries.

How many more? mad Btw, I'd like to see the person who called, investigated.

Credence2posted 5 months agoin reply to this

IB

I read this story some time ago and watched the press attempt to squelch it and its significance, I am still waiting for justice to be dispensed.

1. IslandBites profile image91
        IslandBitesposted 5 months agoin reply to this

2 final Mississippi 'Goon Squad' members sentenced to prison in torture and abuse of Black men

A judge sentenced two former Mississippi sheriff's deputies from a self-described "Goon Squad" to federal prison on Thursday for the torture and abuse of two Black men in a racist attack.

Brett Morris McAlpin, 53, was ordered to serve 327 months, which is more than 27 years.

And Joshua Hartfield, 32, the final former deputy to be sentenced, was ordered to serve 121 months, or about 10 years.

The judge sentenced Dedmon to 40 years and Opdyke to 17.5 years on Wednesday. He gave nearly 20 years to Elward and 17.5 years to Middleton on Tuesday.

In addition to their federal charges, the six defendants also pleaded guilty last year to a bevy of state charges for which they await sentencing in connection with the incident.

This time!

I can live with that, a strong message needs to be sent in regards to rogue cops. Let's hope that like minded ones look on and tremble....

1. My Esoteric profile image82
            My Esotericposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Based on that report I posted earlier, it certainly looks like DOJ needs to take a hard look at a probably very corrupt police department and DA.

In the report, the Goon Squad apparently did something similar to a sheriffs deputy from another jurisdiction.

And some on here say institutional racism is a thing of the past! Such BS.

Along with the person who called in the swatting, how about putting the local DA and others who should have prosecuted this terrible crime in jail!!

Its time for the DOJ to investigate this police department like they have many others who target Black people.

1. Sharlee01 profile image85
        Sharlee01posted 5 months agoin reply to this

I believe that all hate crimes are prosecuted at the federal level, and this incident certainly qualifies as one. As far as I'm aware, there are no reports indicating that the department these individuals belonged to had any knowledge of their actions. You suggest investigating both the local DA and the entire department by the DOJ. However, I haven't come across any evidence suggesting their involvement.

I can agree this police department should be investigated, to make sure there were no other crimes committed against innocent people.

The fact that 1) the "goon squad" was allowed to operate after earlier reports of bad behavior, 2) the fact that their were six white men that participated, all, I believe, had reports made against them for violence toward Blacks, and 3) this is Mississippi for goodness sakes, their whole history is about racism.

This was VERY EASY to find.

"But an investigation by The New York Times and the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting at Mississippi Today reveals a history of blatant and brutal incidents stretching back to at least 2004."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/us/r … eriff.html

In my opinion, for someone to give the benefit of the doubt to any MS police department is wholly naive.

As I said --  this police department should be investigated, to make sure there were no other crimes committed against innocent people.

It seems to me that "As far as I'm aware, there are no reports indicating that the department these individuals belonged to had any knowledge of their actions. You suggest investigating both the local DA and the entire department by the DOJ. However, I haven't come across any evidence suggesting their involvement." is what I was responding to.

To me, it seems that the mere fact that the Police Chief and the DA tried to cover it up (or at least ignore it) which is "being involved" in my book.

I agree with your comment. I do feel this police department should be looked at very closely.

ECO -- "And some on here say institutional racism is a thing of the past! Such BS.  Along with the person who called in the swatting, how about putting the local DA and others who should have prosecuted this terrible crime in jail!!"

Its time for the DOJ to investigate this police department like they have many others who target Black people."

My reply ---  I believe that all hate crimes are prosecuted at the federal level, and this incident certainly qualifies as one. As far as I'm aware, there are no reports indicating that the department these individuals belonged to had any knowledge of their actions. You suggest investigating both the local DA and the entire department by the DOJ. However, I haven't come across any evidence suggesting their involvement.

I can agree this police department should be investigated, to make sure there were no other crimes committed against innocent people.

4. Credence2 profile image81
    Credence2posted 5 months ago

Young man, Mayor of Baltimore does me proud

https://www.yahoo.com/news/baltimore-ma … 16784.html

My Esotericposted 5 months ago

Racism is alive and well in Coeur d'Alene, ID as confederate flag waving racist shout epitaphs at a Utah women's basketball team.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/27/sport/ut … index.html

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 5 months agoin reply to this

If one small incident of shouted words is all it takes to show "racism is alive and well in <fill in the blank>" then it is alive and well in every state, every county, every city and every town in the country.

Northern Idaho (Coeur d'Alene) is the neighborhood responsible for private citizens driving out a skinhead conclave a few years ago.  As a neighborhood it is no more racist than any other and far less than some.  Interviews on TV news of people on the street showed nothing but outrage that such a thing could take place in their town...but of course all it takes is one loudmouth to make the news, and we will find that everywhere.

IslandBitesposted 5 months agoin reply to this

then it is alive and well in every state, every county, every city and every town in the country.

It is.

Agreed.  I will also add that overall it is well controlled by those not tolerating such activity, but incidents will always slip through at times.

Again, doesn't your comment minimize the issue by stating that it is "well controlled" and pretending it isn't very serious.

“Well controlled” my foot.

This stuff is the very foundation of American life.

Conservatives wants everyone to look the other way, but I wont.

Credence,

I wonder if he would minimize hanging blacks in the past because it didn't happen very often.

Well, ESO, the system is full of platitudes, standard verbiage to be brought to the forefront after every incident like this. Much like the refrain in a hymm book, the fact that a line is overly repeated gives it no more significance. Nothing ever really changes, but the "words" remain.

Conservatives have always been minimalist and in a state of denial regarding this  matter in America. So, I would expect nothing less than apologetic excuses and whimsical justifications.

2. Sharlee01 profile image85

Wow, that's quite an exaggerated statement. Comparing killing a human being to someone being called a racist name is a bit extreme. Murder is unquestionably more severe than hurting someone with hurtful words. Just to put it in perspective, saying "Man, you've said some strange things, but this really tops the list. You might want to consider looking into this link about political affiliations associated with the KKK, known for their history of violence against Black individuals. It's pretty evident which political party had more prevalent members involved."
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_K … s_politics

I don't think so, it asks the question about mindset and not political affiliations.  If one thinks that a few non-deadly attacks on blacks (even though not all, if any were Black) is no big deal, I do not think it is a stretch to think hanging an occasional Black is no big deal either, just an aberration by some crazy racists.

I would hope you know as I do that political parties frequently change their political philosophies. What doesn't change, and this is a fact, are the political philosophies.  What conservatives believe and how conservatives act doesn't change over time; same for liberals and same for moderates.  So, let me rephrase what you wrote to a more correct "It's pretty evident which political Philosophy had the more prevalent members involved".  Do you agree?

2. wilderness profile image95

It isn't nearly as serious as is it is being portrayed.  It is not deserving of the huge media attention, as well as the athletic group, that it is getting.

Actually, it was two incidents and several "loudmouths"; and I would hope you know as well as I that it happens frequently all over the U.S.  Why do you seen to minimize it?

Christian Nationalism - which is "the idea that America was founded as a Christian nation and the government should work to sanction Christianity on a national scale. The tenets of Christian nationalism are historically tied to prejudice, nativism and white supremacy. - strikes again.  This time in the form of a demagogue (Lying Trump) hawking an altered Bible.  Disgusting (but he doesn't care, he needs the money).

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/28/us/d … index.html

3. Sharlee01 profile image85
      Sharlee01posted 5 months ago

Just my view.

This incident was deeply disheartening and represents a significant setback in our efforts toward systemic racial progress. It's distressing to see such hate and ugliness surface in our society. While I can only hope that my perception is somewhat accurate, I believe that black Americans will recognize the overall progress made and not allow the actions of a few to dictate their perceptions of the majority who are not racist and do not harbor hatred based on skin color.

Nevertheless, incidents like these undoubtedly hinder progress, reopening wounds and highlighting ongoing racial divides. They can understandably evoke feelings of anger and alienation among affected communities. It's clear that despite the efforts of many to promote equality and understanding, a small minority continues to perpetuate racism, making it challenging for the majority to fully trust that they are not alone in their fight against discrimination.

Moving forward, it's imperative that we remain committed to addressing systemic issues and fostering genuine inclusivity and respect for all individuals, regardless of race. Only through continued dialogue, education, and collective action can we hope to bridge the divide and create a society where everyone feels valued and respected.

While I absolutely agree with your thoughts behind your comment, I don't fool myself into thinking it is a "small minority".  I would argue that a very large percentage of Trump voters do not have the same problem you have with actions like those in Idaho.

It has only been relatively recently that America has tried to cut back on America's innate racism.  Several things are not lost on me: 1) prior to 1864, half of America went to war in order to preserve slavery, 2) there was only a short 10 or 15 year period where, as a nation, we passed laws  and amendments to limit acts of racism, 3) beginning in 1885, a conservative Supreme Court began to dismantle all of those laws and neuter the amendments, and finally 5) since the advent of the conservative Rehnquist Supreme Court, the gains America has made in Civil Rights has been and IS BEING whittled away at again.  Between 1885 and 1964, there was zero effort to try to turn Americans away from their racist history.

4. My Esoteric profile image82

I think the Gonzaga basketball team should sure Rep Matt Maddock (R-MI) for defamation after he called them, with no evidence" illegal invaders" of Detroit.

Doing that every time one of these xenophobic, racist politicians falsely bad mouths somebody should put a stop to it.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/politics … index.html

5. My Esoteric profile image82

I see there is a tiny bit of sanity left in Texas.  Judge halts Texas' hate and potentially deadly agenda against trans-youth.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/30/us/t … index.html
      '

6. My Esoteric profile image82

The House conservatives continue their attempt to turn America white again by shutting down the office of diversity.  There is no room for "others" in America.

https://thehill.com/homenews/race-polit … diversity/

And these people seriously ask why I would not vote for them? They are isolating themselves.

I would say that the "gender gap" is their biggest Achilles heel right now and one that we would do well to exploit.

This is truly laughable.  That office wasn't about equality, equity or anything else but outright racism and discrimination.  Shutting it down can only provide for more fair and equitable treatment of everyone, not just a handful of minorities.

I will have the last laugh, as your statement is debatable. We will work to make that just that much more of a disadvantage for the GOP

Debatable?  Not for a minute; everything about that program was to discriminate against "unapproved" races.  There is nothing to debate about that except to declare that such discrimination is right and proper.  I am sure you would not approve of any discrimination at all, so there is can be no debate.

To the racist, preventing him or her from acting on that racism is seen, ironically, as racist.  THAT is what is laughable (and so SAD).

Why have any laws at all?  Based on the logic behind calling an office to promote diversity as racist, laws are just simply discriminating against the lawbreaker.

That so many racists, demanding that their race be elevated above others and given what others do not get is what is so sad today.  Yet, it is becoming the norm, and when attacked for the discrimination it produces it is viewed as normal and all right or simply shunted aside and ignored while continuing the discrimination.

The only ones trying to "elevate" themselves above all others in America are white, evangelical Christians.  The rest are simply trying to stop the discrimination against them which you seem to think of as discrimination against the whites doing the discriminating.

Right.  That's we we had the lawsuit over college admissions practicing racism.  Because whites got all the spots and other races got none.

That lawsuit only won because the conservatives on the Court think preventing discrimination amounts to discrimination in its own right.

If the majority on the Court actually cared about people being oppressed such that they are at a disadvantage in college admissions, the ruling would have come out differently.

That lawsuit won because the university, and more like it, are discriminating as a part of normal operation.  They are doing it intentionally, knowing full well what they are doing, and only a lawsuit is going to stop it.

Racism and discrimination is alive and well in the country, condoned and aided by the federal government.  It's just (mostly) against whites and that makes it OK.  To some, anyway.

7. IslandBites profile image91

“These are people coming in from prisons and jails. They’re coming in from just unbelievable places and countries, countries that are a disaster,” Trump told his guests, according to the attendee. The former president has made a similar claim the heart of his campaign speeches.

“And when I said, you know, ‘Why can’t we allow people to come in from nice countries,’ I’m trying to be nice,” Trump said at the dinner, to chuckles from the crowd. “Nice countries, you know like Denmark, Switzerland? Do we have any people coming in from Denmark? How about Switzerland? How about Norway?”

Trump went on to say that there were people coming from Yemen, “where they’re blowing each other up all over the place.”

“They’ve been shipped in, brought in, deposited in our country, and they’re with us tonight,” Trump said.
      “In fact, I don’t think they’re on this island, but I know they’re on that island right there. That’s West Palm,” Trump said, gesturing across the water, according to the attendee. “Congratulations over there. But they’ll be here. Eventually, they’ll be here.”

Paulson’s estate sits along the waterway that separates the town of Palm Beach — a wealthy community on a barrier island that, according to the Census Bureau, is 93.8% white — from West Palm Beach, where nearly a third of residents are Black, and a quarter are Hispanic.

YUCK!

Yes, YUCK

And conservatives lie like a rug trying to convince me that this man is not racist. I was pretty stupid of him to just come out and admit it.

You remember when he compared himself to Jesus (and the evangelicals ate it up)?  Well, he just compared himself to Nelson Mandela, lol.  Lying Trump is a very, very sick man.

8. IslandBites profile image91

Two MAGA conservative operatives who launched a robocall campaign designed to prevent Black New Yorkers from voting by mail in the 2020 U.S. election will pay $1.25 million in a settlement, New York state Attorney General Letitia James said on Tuesday.

Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman were found liable by a federal judge in New York in March 2023 for targeting Black voters and sending false and threatening messages intended to discourage voting.

Yes, please don't tell me there isn't an overt campaign by conservatives to subvert the Black vote!

9. Credence2 profile image81
      Credence2posted 5 months ago

I never see that kind of shaningans from the left, the MAGA Right are the only ones that would do this.

The 1.25 million is letting them off leniently, we have to strongly discourage and penalize this sort of thing.

10. Credence2 profile image81
      Credence2posted 4 months ago

So, the community of indigenous people in America speaks of the Trump administration and the deliberate amnesia affecting so many...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-said-d … 07375.html

11. My Esoteric profile image82
      My Esotericposted 4 months ago

A White author calculated how much White privilege increased her wealth - $371,934.30.

She documents this in her new book, “The White Bonus: Five Families and the Cash Value of Racism in America,” which publishes Tuesday, McMillan traces just how much of her family’s modest wealth can be attributed to policies and practices that have systematically hurt Black Americans.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/22/us/the-w … index.html

Sharlee01posted 4 months agoin reply to this

This is one individual perspective, nothing more.    You know anyone can write a book.

1. gmwilliams profile image81
          gmwilliamsposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Exactly.  There are poor Caucasians & millionaire Blacks.  Oprah Winfrey is one of the top Black earners in America.   She has privilege based upon socioeconomics that very few, Caucasian &/or Black, have.

My Esotericposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Those are anecdotes.  Please present studies that look at the whole population and get back to me.

gmwilliamsposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Goodbye.

Not surprised.

Grace,   I generally refrain from discussing systemic racism because, as someone who isn't Black, I recognize that I can't fully understand the experiences of those who face it. However, in my view, I believe that while progress has been made on a national and global scale, there's still much ground to cover in addressing systemic racism. Unfortunately, I've observed what seems like a regression in recent years. It appears that certain politicians and media outlets have been emphasizing and perpetuating the notion of difference and unequal treatment, rather than acknowledging the positive strides we've made and continuing to work towards true equality. This approach risks undoing the progress we've achieved and exacerbating divisions within society. 

We have a ways to go. But, does building a wedge help in any respect?

Are you suggesting that the reporting of hate crimes is causing the increase in hate crimes?

Or is it the reporting of difference and unequal treatment of minorities is the cause?

Personally, I give more blame on Lying Trump giving permission to racists to act on their racism than to the media reporting on it.

You mean like Lying Trump's Art of the Deal?

According to her, she backs her well researched analysis up with facts as any good non-fiction author does.  Unlike others, hers is not just "opinion" or "views", her assertions claim to have supporting evidence.

Yes, anyone can write a book. I have no idea if this author backed up her words.

12. My Esoteric profile image82

"“There were more than 500 anti-LGBTQIA+ bills proposed in state legislatures in 2023,"

I will never understand how hypocritical conservatives are when they say they believe in individual liberty.  This only goes to show that it is liberals who have always and still do believe in that.

Consider:

Liberals opposed slavery - conservatives promoted once and excuse it now.

Liberals promoted a woman's right to vote - conservatives opposed it (and some still do)

Liberals promoted Equal Rights Amendment - conservatives successfully opposed it

Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act - conservatives opposed it and are working hard to dismantle it.

Liberals passed the Voting Rights Act - conservatives opposed it and are working hard to  dismantle it.

Bottom line, Liberals promote individual freedom while Conservatives oppose it unless you look and act like them.

13. My Esoteric profile image82

Liberals move to protect people's rights and Conservatives immediately try to deny people their God given rights. DISGUSTING.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/29/politics … index.html

14. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
      Kathleen Cochranposted 4 months ago

Every major benefit for the majority of American people has come from the Democrats: Social Security, Medicare, voting rights, medical care for low income . . .

I think I would modify that, given the history of the Democratic Party.  I would say every major benefit for the majority of American people has come from liberals.

15. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
      Kathleen Cochranposted 4 months ago

No argument. I left out free pre-K.

16. My Esoteric profile image82

Another cop kneeling on a black man's neck, another dead black man.  From the video it looks like the suspect was resisting.  From the video it sounds like he said five times he couldn't breath.  The response, "Shut the F'k Up".

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/01/us/video … -ny-digvid

17. My Esoteric profile image82

America's roots come from liberalism rather than conservatism, and that includes the subject of Race.  The battle was between the Conservative British King and Parliament versus the Liberal founders of America.  It was also between the Liberals, mainly in the North, and the Conservatives, mainly in the South trying to hold on to their slaves.

I am reading a book by Jefferey Rosen titled The Pursuit of Happiness: How Classical Writers on Virtue Inspired the Lives of our Founders and Defined America.  One passage highlights this divide between Liberals and Conservatives.

John Adams, our second president, was inspired early on by James Otis, one of the main forces behind America's independence.  In speaking of a courtroom presentation by Otis against the new British writs of assistance (warrantless searches).  Adams thought this was the "first Act of opposition" to Great Britain where Otis asserted "the rights of man in a state of nature" (Hobbes, Locke) were "inherent and inalienable." (Some Conservatives, even in this forum, express views in opposition to this, as does Russell Kirk). He pushed Locke's claim that no one could be deprived of life, liberty, or property without consent.

In Adams's view "Otis was a flame of fire" where "then and there the Child Independence was born"

Otis was a true egalitarian (a liberal principle) as he applied his philosophy not to just White males with land, a popular view back then (and held by some far-right Conservatives today), but "clearly and unequivocally  asserting that ALL human beings - Black and white, men and women - were born free and equal, with the same natural rights."  Otis called the Conservative practice of enslavement of "those of any color ... the most shocking violation of the law of nature." and that "Are not women born as free as men" (many religious Conservatives say no) and "Would it not be infamous to assert that the ladies are all slaves by nature?" (There are several factions of Conservative Christian fundamentalists and Evangelicals which hold that women are subservient to men.)

Even though people Liberals like Jefferson and Washington owned slaves, they were, in principle, against the practice but were too weak to abandon it for fear of becoming destitute.  Hence the compromise with the Conservative slave holders of the South to get America up and running.

Credence2posted 4 months agoin reply to this

For me it is always important that you walk the talk, otherwise a principle simply becomes a platitude. We see that everywhere today. I take off my hat to John Adams and his son, John Quincy for setting the example rather than submitting to mere self-interest.

While the comment presents a compelling narrative of America's founding rooted in liberalism and a struggle against conservatism, it overlooks several key historical nuances. Firstly, characterizing the American Revolution as solely a battle between liberal American founders and conservative British authorities oversimplifies the complex political landscape of the time. While figures like James Otis may have championed liberal principles of inherent human rights and equality, the motivations behind the revolution were multifaceted, including economic grievances and disputes over governance structures.

Furthermore, the portrayal of the conflict between North and South as a dichotomy between liberal and conservative ideologies fails to fully capture the complexities of regional differences and motivations during the revolutionary era. While slavery was undoubtedly a central issue, attributing it solely to conservative Southern interests overlooks opposition to slavery within the region and economic factors that drove the institution across the colonies.

Additionally, the assertion that figures like Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were "in principle" against slavery but compromised with conservative slaveholders for pragmatic reasons is debatable. While they may have expressed moral or philosophical opposition to slavery, their actions and ownership of slaves reveal a more complicated reality. It's important to recognize the contradictions and inconsistencies within their beliefs and actions rather than simplifying them into clear-cut categories of liberalism and conservatism.

So, while the comment offers a compelling interpretation of America's founding through a liberal lens, it oversimplifies the complexities of history and fails to fully capture the diverse motivations, actors, and ideologies that shaped the revolutionary era.

Complex or not (and it certainly is) the point I make is valid in my opinion.

I respect your opinion, and that you have researched the subject.

18. My Esoteric profile image82

Another White cop kills another Black man in America.  This one is complicated, however.

A woman calls in a disturbance complaint and says it is violent; she apparently identifies apartment 1401.  The cop approaches the door from the side, maybe saying police, but it was inaudible.  The cop audibly announces "Sheriffs office, open the door" and then knocks on the door loudly, as they are taught to do.  Three seconds, no more, after the door starts to open, the cop shoots and kills the man who opened the door.  The man was holding a gun extended in his right hand but pointed down to the floor.  In his left hand was what looks like a cell phone in his left hand, possibly filming what was going on or still talking to his girl friend.  No one else was in the apartment, there was no altercation going on.

I am not making a judgement yet on what took place. But, what I will note is that in Florida, where this took place, the Republicans have made sure virtually any adult can possess a gun for virtually any reason.  I think the only bar is you can't be a felon.  Wife beater? No problem, just not a felon.

So, what does that mean? It means the cop shot an innocent man LEGALLY holding a gun that wasn't pointed at him.  Florida has a very lax "stand your ground" law which means you can shoot anybody who you think is threatening you.

Now, I am not saying yet that the cop didn't make a good kill, but it certainly needs to be investigated (which it is).  But what I am saying is that the Republicans have put cops in an untenable position.  It seems to me that police training should, in instances like this, instruct police to ASSUME, the guy on the other side of the door has a gun legally.  The fact that you announced you are police is not good enough now, how is the person on the inside to know you are telling the truth? Could they look through the peep hole? Maybe, maybe not.

Shouldn't the cop have stood to the side against the wall and instructed the man to show his hands or something?  Are cops trained to, upon seeing a gun and regardless of the circumstances, kill?  If so, they shouldn't be.  It seems to me the proper course of action would have been, upon seeing the gun pointed toward the floor, order the man to drop the gun?  If he starts raising it, then shoot.

But that is not what happened here. The cop shot first and then said "drop the gun" (the man was already writhing on the floor).

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/09/us/roger … end_recirc

19. Sharlee01 profile image85
      Sharlee01posted 4 months ago

How many police officers lost their lives in 2024? Should we inquire about the race of those responsible, or should we acknowledge that they perished while fulfilling their duty? When did it become our responsibility to pass judgment on an officer's actions during a shooting incident on duty? We have legal professionals tasked with investigating such occurrences. It is not the role of the media or social media commentators. In my opinion, neither possesses the authority nor the expertise to delve into shootings that unfold within the scope of an officer's responsibilities.

How many officers have been killed thus far this year --  https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2024

How many were killed in 2023 --- Should we put a color to their faces or were they doing their job?
      https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2023

This website will offer anyone interested a factual number and put faces to those numbers of police officers who died in the line of duty.

How many police officers didn't sign up to put themselves in the line of fire?  Getting killed, unfortunately, comes with the territory.

How many people have been killed by police that shouldn't have been?  That is the more important question.

In 2023, 48 officers died from gunfire.  In 2023, 1,163 people were shot to death by police (which is undercounted since not all police jurisdictions provide reports).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 … -by-month/

"Additionally, the rate of fatal police shootings among Black Americans was much higher than that for any other ethnicity, standing at 6 fatal shootings per million of the population per year between 2015 and March 2024." - https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 … e-by-race/

So far in 2024, 6 unarmed blacks have been killed by police.

2023 - 32 (16 shy of the total number of police who died from gun shots)

2022 - 33

2021 - 31

2020 - 32

2019 - 24

2018 - 38

2017 - 24

2016 - 22

Shall we put faces to those unarmed Black men who died as a result of a cop having a gun and they didn't?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_u … ted_States

20. My Esoteric profile image82
      My Esotericposted 3 months ago

Not only does Texas "Gov" Abbott want to put women in jail because they think they should be able to control their own body's, he is now pardoning convicted MURDER's who say they wanted to go to a Black Lives Matter rally and KILL a few people. Fortunately, he limited his killing spree to one.

But since it was a Black man lawfully (in Texas anyway) carrying a gun, the Right-Wing wanted him off the hook.

21. PurvisBobbi44 profile image92
      PurvisBobbi44posted 3 months ago

This is what was written by the news: "Texas governor pardons ex-Army sergeant convicted of killing Black Lives Matter protester," Tell it right and I was surprised you didn't.

Bobbi Hunter

My Esotericposted 3 months agoin reply to this

So, are you saying I DIDN'T say Abbott pardoned the murderer?

I thought that was what " he is now pardoning convicted MURDER's" means.

22. My Esoteric profile image82

Conservative (Whites) states won - public schools more segregated than ever before.

“If we can organize the Southern States for massive resistance to this order, I think that in time the rest of the country will realize that racial integration is not going to be accepted in the South,” Virginia Sen. Harry Flood Byrd said in the days after the ruling was announced."

That was decades ago and most Conservatives feel the same way.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/17/us/schoo … index.html

23. PurvisBobbi44 profile image92
      PurvisBobbi44posted 3 months ago

Reading comprehension might help you. This is what you said " he is now pardoning convicted MURDER's who say they wanted to go to a Black Lives Matter rally and KILL a few people." And the news said ""Texas governor pardons ex-Army sergeant convicted of killing Black Lives Matter protester."

The End.

I would suggest you read more about the situation before making insulting comments.

Abbott pardoned a convicted murderer Daniel Perry who wrote on social media that he "might have to kill a few people" who were "rioting" outside his apartment.

He ran a red light and drive his car into a crowd of protestors. When Garrett Forster, holding a gun (LEGAL IN TEXAS), motioned for him to roll down his window; he was not pointing the legal gun at Perry. Perry then murdered him. He says he "thought" the victim "might" point the gun at him.

Abbott excused the murder by saying Texas has a "strong stand your ground law".

1) If that is the case, then the Foster should have opened fire on Perry as soon as he drove his car into the Black Lives Matter crowd. (Problem with that of course is that Abbott would claimed the law only applies to right-wing shooters.

2) In giving his reason, Abbott declared open season on anyone holding a gun out in public.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/us/danie … index.html

Credence2posted 3 months agoin reply to this

Just another reason why I don't like Texas and regard it as a flyover state.

I would not be surprised, just like there was back in 1860, there is behind the scenes talk between the former slave states about seceding from the Union one more time.

The reason might be a bit different, however.  Instead of seceding to protect slavery, it will be to protect their right to subjugate women and and to persecute lifestyles they don't understand (as well as to deny Blacks the right to vote again).

24. My Esoteric profile image82

Here is an interesting article about discrimination, armpit hair, and pronouns.

Its focus is on Emma Corrin, a nonbinary and queer actress, who prefers the use of pronouns of them, they, their, etc. and who likes to not shave her armpits.  When her cover on Harper's Bazar came out with an uplifted arm revealing a patch of hair where people aren't used to seeing it, she survived a withering storm of crude insults and deaminization by people who want to force their moral and fashion codes on to, and I am going to use "her". 

First, my feelings about pronouns. When I went through the list of possible pronouns to use in the last sentence above, none of the plural ones sounded right, so I used the normal "her" because that is what "she" looks like and what "her" name tells me "she" is.  Now, I realize I could use the word "it" just as easily, and if nonbinaries prefer that term over the singular term that best describes what others see I can easily accommodate that once I know their status.

Do I have any problem with them wanting to identify and be treated as nonbinary?  No, beyond getting used to it as something new, as a liberal I feel they have that right to identify however they want.  I have zero right to criticize their choice.

As to armpit hair.  I have to admit, it is jarring to see on a female type body. Why?  Because again, I am not used to it. When I was visiting Germany where it is a lot more common, I found it off-putting, even gross.  But, that is my problem of being insensitive, not their problem for wanting not to shave and cut their armpits.  Once again, as a liberal, I have no right to challenge their fashion choices.

(Just as an embarrassing sidenote. As a male, I naturally have no hair under my arms and, women hate me for this, no hair on my calves - sorry for the image. It is strange and sometimes draws a comment or two, normally out of envy.)

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/27/opinions … index.html

GA Andersonposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Yeah, that is a tough image to unsee. However, I can offer witness to your "Germany" story.

Naples was one of my first port-o-calls as a young 19-year-old sailor. On my very first shore visit, on a beautiful sunny day, I saw a gorgeous young Italian girl (woman) waiting on a street corner (crossing it, not working it). As a typical young buck, you can imagine my smile and thoughts as I walked to the same corner.

I was just a few feet away when she raised her to wave at something.  Oogh. I had never seen that before and wasn't sure I wanted to see it again. Oddly, that 'oogh' didn't transfer to the girl, (I could have watched her all day), but the hair patch was something else.

GA

25. IslandBites profile image91
      IslandBitesposted 3 months ago

She Made an Offer on a Condo. Then the Seller Learned She Was Black.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/31/real … axter.html

Can’t see the article, there is a paywall.

IslandBitesposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Its a long one. Some excerpts:

At $749,000, it was within her budget, too. She offered the asking price, which was accepted, and sent over a down payment. And then when she was in escrow earlier this month, her broker called her late at night on May 17, a Friday, with some bad news.

The seller wanted to pull out of the deal.

Why? “You could hear the fear and disbelief in his voice,” Dr. Baxter said, recalling what her broker told her next. “He said, ‘I don’t know how to tell you this, but she doesn’t want to sell the home to you, and it’s because you’re Black.’”

The seller, Jane Walker, 84, is white.

Two federal laws — the Fair Housing Act of 1968 and the much older Civil Rights Act of 1866 — make it illegal for both home sellers and their real estate agents to discriminate during a home sale. But more than 50 years after redlining was outlawed, racial discrimination remains an issue, housing advocates say.

Dr. Baxter, who works remotely for Mt. Sinai hospital in New York, currently shares a rented apartment in Alexandria, Va., with her boyfriend, Dr. Ronald Gamble Jr., 35, a theoretical astrophysicist.

Dr. Baxter first saw the listing for the Virginia Beach condo in early May on Zillow, and contacted the agent, Wayne Miller, who offered to visit it for her and provide a tour over FaceTime.

Dr. Baxter kept her camera off while Mr. Miller, who is white, toured the home with Ms. Walker’s agent as one of the guides. The virtual tour was enough for Dr. Baxter to jump with an offer.

Two weeks later, with the home sale in escrow and on the same day of a home inspection, Dr. Baxter and Dr. Gamble made the three-hour drive to Virginia Beach to see the house in person for the first time. Ms. Walker arrived as the couple was leaving, and Ms. Walker’s agent, Susan Pender of Berkshire Hathaway RW Towne Realty, introduced the seller to the buyer.

Shortly after Dr. Baxter and Dr. Gamble drove away from the home, Ms. Walker informed her agent that she was not willing to sell her home to a person who is Black and she wished to cancel the sale, according to a chronology of events compiled by Mr. Miller and shared with The New York Times by Dr. Baxter. Mr. Miller declined to comment, and Ms. Pender did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Dr. Baxter’s home sale remains set to close later this summer.

Thanks, Island Bites

26. My Esoteric profile image82

A transgender teen was assaulted in high school by other transphobic teens. She was punched in the mouth which resulted in a broken jaw.  Why aren't the suspects charged with felony battery already. They even have a video of the viscous attack.

No doubt the teens learned their behavior from their parents and is reinforced by all the anti-LGBTQ legislation Conservatives are trying to pass or have passed in state legislatures. 

What is it about conservatism that they can't stand the "other"?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/07/us/cobal … index.html

27. My Esoteric profile image82
      My Esotericposted 2 months ago

Not only can Conservatives not stand the "other", they can't stand old people either and found yet another way to take away people's freedom.  This time to vote for whom they choose and to run for office.

North Dakota voters limit the age on when someone can hold office - 81.

When will Conservatives stop taking away people's liberties????

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 … andidates/

One should breathe easy that this age discrimination law won't stand legal challenge because the Supreme Court has ruled previously that states can't pass additional laws regarding congressional candidates.

But WAIT, I may be wrong because I forgot that THIS activist Conservative court is famous for overturning precedence.

Credence2posted 2 months agoin reply to this

This, too, is fundamental Trump and MAGA, these very hidden themes are the true source of their energy and persistence. Now, they don't even bother to hide it.

https://www.salon.com/2024/06/13/on-ame … e_partner/

My Esotericposted 2 months agoin reply to this

It seems that this desire to control the lives of others runs in about 35% of humanity judging from the size of MAGA and Britain's far-right.

But from what I have read, the British Far Right is  no where near as dastardly as their counterparts here.....

It looks like the True Texas Project will be the incubator for the next generation of KKK members.

28. My Esoteric profile image82

Blacks and other minorities always need to be on the lookout in America for Conservative nuts like this guy who wants to kill them.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/12/us/arizo … index.html

Trump is an insufferably stupid man. The GOP wont admit that racism lies behind Trumps witless comments regarding Milwaukee. Why trash talk a city that is hosting your convention next month.

I also think the media did not really go into the story that you linked here about the MAGA man who wanted to exterminate blacks and start a race war

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-uses-r … 09942.html

True, I only say a couple of mentions of it.  I just don't understand why main stream media panders to Trump so much.

I am beginning to believe that much of the mainstream press is MAGA in disguise.

gmwilliamsposted 2 months agoin reply to this

No they AREN'T.  The mainstream press is so leftist, c'mon now.

No, you cmon now, no one as stupid and inept as Donald Trump would even be considered politically without the support or acquiescence of the press, which is bought and paid for for by billionaire plutocrats. The liberal designation is just the disguise they use to divert suspicion.

Ken Burgessposted 2 months agoin reply to this

This WOULD have been a believable and rational argument...

But now we have almost 4 years of the Biden Administration...

Escalating a War against Russia...

Alienating Saudi Arabia and the UAE so that they ditch the dollar and go and join BRICS...

Paying out hundreds of billions to Iran... that was crippled by Trump's sanctions... so Iran could take that money and fund Hamas, the Houthis, Hezbollah...

Spending a Trillion dollars of debt every 100 days... that just makes the rich richer and the poor poorer... its the sneaky way of 'taxing' the middle class and all those retirement funds into worthlessness.

So... people can choose to listen to rhetoric similar to what you have just expressed... or they can open their eyes and see what is really going on and realize who is doing immense harm to their country and their future.

I just don't understand why people find it necessary to cozy up to those who wish us ill like Russia, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE.

Personally, I think it is a good idea to stand up to those who wish to do us harm, but that is just me.

Some understand better than others how the world works...

How Saudi Arabia has had an agreement with America to trade oil in the Dollar only... that the UAE was pretty much the same.

And now they don't.

That weakens the dollar.

It strengthens Russia and China.

The Dollar as a reserve currency doesn't hold the value it did ... because now if you want Saudi oil or Russian resources you can't use the Dollar to purchase those resources, the Dollar will no longer be accepted by a growing number of nations.

Many 'well off' and powerful people aware of what is going on and how it will impact America want Biden strung up as a traitor to the Nation, not re-elected.

2. Ken Burgess profile image71

If it is, why is that?

What would be the purpose of denigrating and destroying a man that runs on a campaign of America & Americans 1st?

Why spend years trying to equate the American Flag, Patriotism, Made In America, One Nation Under God thinking with the Nazi Flag and White Supremacy?

Why did they use that very same tactic against the Tea Party movement that was against that massive governmental power grab called the ACA?

What is the purpose of that, and why so much support for things that are counter productive to Family, Patriotism, Social Cohesion?

A man with Trump's abysmal record should not have been on the political stage at all. And not so long ago, he would not have been. The press has reduced the choice between an dictatorial autocrat and a politician within the American tradition as mere politics, and it is not.

"Why spend years trying to equate the American Flag, Patriotism, Made In America, One Nation Under God thinking with the Nazi Flag and White Supremacy"

Behind the "code words" is white supremacy.

I liked ACA, and after all this time, it has not been repealed. The Tea Party came out of the gate only because there was a Black President. Obama is a Democrat, he was voted in by the majority of the electorate fully aware that he was not going to adhere to rightwing, Republican ideas.

Your idea of family, patriotism and social cohesion are not mine.

Voted in twice, I might add, with nice majorities each time.

OMG - a Black President, how terrible, they are going to replace all us Whites.  That was the birth of MAGA.

They aren't " denigrating and destroying a man that runs on a campaign of America & Americans 1st?".  INSTEAD, they are reporting on a criminal that may destroy America.

You do know what so-called "America First" was?  It was the slogan of those who wanted to let Europe fall to the Nazis.

Do I really need to post the screeds from the White Supremacists and their adjacent nut jobs where all they talk about is " American Flag, Patriotism, Made In America, One Nation Under God thinking"?  Don't you see how they (and Trump) soil those words?

29. My Esoteric profile image82

A poignant story of a man whose father was born into slavery in America, the land of the free (unless you are black or female), and what Juneteenth means to him.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2024/06 … cnnphotos/

30. My Esoteric profile image82

It is a very sad commentary on American conservatism in that queer people can only feel safe from violence in bars that cater to them.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/15/us/lesbi … index.html

What is sad is that we have a society focused on queers seemingly year round.

While we have wars raging that people ignore despite the very real chance of nuclear war.

While we have a government spending a trillion dollars of debt every 100 days.

While we have a justice system weaponized to prosecute the front running political opponent and those who support him.

While we allow crime and theft to escalate in our cities and the solution to that problem being presented is to defund the police and turn our border patrol into a greeting agency.

The ONLY reason the focus is there is that your side is trying to exterminate them.

Hi, ESO, I thought that you would appreciate this article as I have been scratching my head as to why Trump is appealing to so many black men but black women will not touch him with a 10 foot pole.

The article explains a great deal and I am ashamed for my ethnicity and gender that so many of our young men allow themselves to be duped by Trump for irrelevant and superficial reasons.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/9/21151095/b … m-gap-2020

Thanks for the link.  I am still reading but this paragraph caught my attention.  It clearly identifies where shallow, self-centered thinking, traits I accuse Conservatives of, get you.

"She said that “black men don’t have that same set of ethos,” using the example of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, who portrayed his sister as helplessly dependent on welfare when in fact she had worked two jobs while Thomas was in law school and only began using welfare benefits when she stopped working to care for an elderly aunt recovering from a stroke. For some black men, Brown said, “they don’t see the sacrifices others are making for them as sacrifices.”

I guess Thomas didn't see a need to take care of the Aunt.

I have heard the same sentiments from many conservatives on these forums. I wonder what is in their make up that stops them from looking behind the curtain to get the answer WHY things are so.

It took her quite a while to get into the WHY some Black men find Trump appealing when he is so clearly an enemy of their plight in America.

But what I picked up on are:

* Machismo - Black men see Trump's over-the-top, in your face "masculinity" as very appealing. Latino men seem to follow the same path.

* Aspirational - Somehow some Black men are drawn to Trump's braggadocio and see that as something to look up to. It matters not that Trump is a big advocate of Stop and Frisk.

* Paternalism or Male Dominance - It is my impression that Black (and Latino and rural White) men are more opposed to the freedom and independence women have than their White counter-parts. Trump's raging misogyny plays right into feelings of lose of their masculinity.

Self-Determination - When delivered in a plainspoken, hypermasculine manner like Trump uses, some Black men are drawn the business success and personal responsibility. Trump has neither of these but he fools everybody into thinking he does.

Hi, ESO, thanks for your reply.

Lets look at those points:

Machismo? What masculinity? Goldie Locks, they say he should cut his hair if he goes to prison to avoid be too luring of a target. Trump is a total phony in this department. The man would fear to get his hair wet.

What is there to aspire to? Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, the beneficiary of scores of millions of dollars upon the death of his father. He has never had to work for or at anything. And with all the money that has fallen into his lap, he still manages to screw up multiple times. Do they really think that their tricycle can compare with his Maserati, or that they ever hope to catch up? It is a just a phony illusion.   

Paternalism is primitive thinking for people that seek to have status and privilege without merit. But isn't that what most of the neer do well whites that support Trump want? A return to dominance based solely on what is found between your legs? It is a step backwards and is typical MAGA. Trump feeds on the insecurity of these weak ones.

A couple of guys that I had met who fit the category were young men that did not want to go to school but resented the fact that the young women were going and moved ahead of them on the social status ladder.  But, somehow these women owed them something. I told them that if you choose to blame "the system" for being lazy and not wanting to better yourself, the women are justified in not seeing you as mating material.

Self Determination: business success and personal responsibility are not necessarily hypermasculine concepts.  Millions of black women are successful entrepreneurs and have managed to do so without Trump's lectures.

Your points about Clerance Thomas was spot on. The more I read about him the more that I am convinced that he did take advantage of Anita Hill when he was being confirmed as a justice in the early 1990s. It proves a point about him and most conservatives like him who while beating their chests, they are standing on the backs of others.  Those others while nondescript, are the real heroes.

2. Ken Burgess profile image71

My side is "trying to exterminate them"...

Wow ... that's a heavy version you are envisioning there...

While several on your side have murdered gays, because they were gay, "exterminate" may be a bit hyperbolic but nevertheless is correct in its meaning and gets the point across.

If the so-called front-running political opponent who caused an insurrection is being tried it is because he keeps committing crimes. You know, like sexual assault, interfering with an election (election fraud), bank fraud, defamation, insurrection, mishandling national secrets, etc.  I realize your side doesn't believe in justice and accountability but the rest of us do.

Riiiiight, sure you do.

That's why the Clintons and Bidens are held accountable...

The Clintons and Bidens didn't do anything criminal like Trump has.  Even a Trump Appointed special counsel said so.  You notice that Pence did the same thing as Biden and they didn't even investigate him.

Was Biden or Hillary indicted and tried for:

* sexual assault?
              * Defamation?
              * Bank Fraud?
              * Mishandling Nationals Secrets? (they investigated her and found nothing criminal, although that didn't stop the FBI from helping to cost her the election)
              * Trying to overthrow an election?
              * For RICO?

The answer is NO, but Trump has.

And Trump is still facing a ton of civil lawsuits related to causing the insurrection.

31. My Esoteric profile image82

In the spirit of Conservative's attacks on immigrants, shouldn't they also be going after MegaChurch Pastors?? This one admitted to molesting a 12-year old girl.

So, using Conservative logic with immigrants, since one pastor did it, all pastors do it.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/17/us/rober … index.html

32. My Esoteric profile image82

More proof that the while the purpose of government is to protect its citizens from harm, Conservatives continue to prove their purpose is to make sure that doesn't happen.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/17/politics … index.html

33. Credence2 profile image81
      Credence2posted 2 months ago

Check out the photo, the racists want to extol Robert E. Lee and the Confederate flag while attacking a teacher for having a "black lives matter flag" up. The school has a majority African-American student body and yet the ugly vestiges of racism surrounding "the lost cause" still rears its head and seeks to envelop us all. Perhaps, I will take Arthur's suggestion and consider Europe as an alternative domicile. People here are not even willing to try anymore.

https://www.salon.com/2024/06/19/florid … k-and-won/

I just posted this from that article.

Jesus himself never condemned #slavery," one Florida man said ... at a school board meeting in Jacksonville. "In fact, he said, slaves have an obligation to obey their master," the outraged white man insisted.

This is what YOUR #VOTE is fighting against.

Who says some Conservatives don't want slavery back?

Listening to that fellow talk, you would think that slavery has never ended.
          ——-
          After Trump’s phony black church appearance, I am reminded as to why I could never support Trump at any level.

https://www.theroot.com/gateway/the-lon … 1851529427

34. My Esoteric profile image82

Anti-Woke Megachurch affiliated schools receives millions of public dollars while public schools close.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/19/politics … index.html

35. My Esoteric profile image82

Because Dolly Parton supports the LGBTQ+ community, many Conservatives now hate her for it.  SHAME!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/19/opinions … index.html

wildernessposted 2 months agoin reply to this

You forgot to include the rest of the sentence:  "Many people rallied behind the homophobic outcry while a huge contingent defended Parton".

Interesting as well that you assign a political philosophy to those that took her to task...without ever having any indication of just where they stand, how they vote or anything else.  Bet they all love Trump, too, right?

I guess you skimmed over my use of the word "many".

It stands to reason that we are talking about Conservatives. Liberals do not, as a rule, judge people for their life styles, but Conservatives have a long, sordid history of doing just that if those life styles run counter to what they think is acceptable.

36. Credence2 profile image81
      Credence2posted 2 months ago

Outreach to minority/Black voters? Really? You are judged by the company you keep.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-campai … 48534.html

37. My Esoteric profile image82

Louisiana has turned public schools into places of religious instruction - specifically for the Protestant religion.

They have mandated that any school receiving state funds MUST post a large replica of the Protestant version of the Ten Commandments in every school classroom from Kindergarten through university. 

The purpose, obviously, is to indoctrinate our children to become Protestants, a clear violation of the Establishment Clause.  BTW, that part of the First Amendment is there because Virginia took even worse actions trying to establish a state Protestant religion (Jews and Catholics were marginalized or even punished).

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/19/politics … 360-digvid

38. My Esoteric profile image82

Well, the disastrously fallout from the Conservatives ruling against the federal gov't protecting its citizens from harm. This Mississippi federal judge relied on the recent rulings out of the Conservative Supreme Court to direct that it is OK to discriminate against Transgender people nationwide.

It won't be long before that expands to the LBTGQ+ community in general, then to Blacks, then to women.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/03/politics … index.html

39. My Esoteric profile image82
      My Esotericposted 3 weeks ago

Not surprisingly the Conservatives on the Supreme Court waged war on minorities, specifically those who are discriminated against because they are different.

This is why I am so against conservative values, they are anti-human.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba … j-request/

40. My Esoteric profile image82
      My Esotericposted 3 weeks ago

They uncovered three more bodies with gunshot wounds from the White massacre of Blacks in the 1921 Tulsa Race Riots.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/17/us/tulsa … index.html

41. IslandBites profile image91
      IslandBitesposted 26 hours ago

Michigan judge loses docket after she’s recorded insulting gay people and Black people

A suburban Detroit judge is no longer handling cases after a court official turned over recordings of her making anti-gay insults and referring to Black people as lazy.

Oakland County Probate Judge Kathleen Ryan was removed from her docket on Aug. 27 for unspecified misconduct. Now the court’s administrator has stepped forward to say he blew the whistle on her, secretly recording their phone calls.

“I just want to make it right. ... I want to keep my job and do it in peace,” Edward Hutton told WXYZ-TV. “And I want the people in Oakland County that come to court to get a fair shake, to have their day in court, to have an unbiased trier of fact.”

In the phone recordings, Ryan uses a anti-gay slur against David Coulter, the county’s highest elected official, who is gay. Besides containing Ryan’s vulgar statements about Coulter, the tapes,  record her calling the typical Black American “a f------ lazy piece of s---”; and referring to herself as "a new racist."

“I’m not systemically racist. I’m a new racist,” said Ryan, who was first elected in 2010.

My Esotericposted 24 hours agoin reply to this

Bet she is a Trumper to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)