Did you (or will you) go to college/university?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

Did you (or will you) go to college/university?

2. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 10 years ago

I did go to college. 5 years and completed a Bachelor's in Information Systems and an Associate degree in Administration.

3. TheRaptorClaw profile image61
    TheRaptorClawposted 10 years ago

I'm in college now. Working on my Bachelor's for Business Administration.

4. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Yes. A university for my bachelors and masters. Now I'm still taking classes at the community college just to get a more varied education.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful indeed!

2. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Way to go! I keep finding excuses for "having" to take more classes, too. Just can't stay out of school too long I guess, like you: variety is what makes it fun!

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

I went to college, because in 1969 that was the thing to do. You wanted your 2S student deferment from the draft. (The Vietnam was  in full swing). I always planned to go to college and there was no money just to take a year off to see the world, so I went. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong major, pharmacy, which everyone said I was suited for since I had worked at a neighborhood drug store. They were wrong. I made dismal grades and lost the 2S deferment. That was the year the lottery started and my number was 256. They quit drafting about 125. Despite my dismal first year, I finished in four years (plus one summer) and earned my Journalism degree. At the time, a masters or a law degree sounded like a good idea, except, there was no money. So I began my working career and am glad I did. It was very rewarding, both as a reporter and later in public relations. Unfortunately, it ended abruptly when I was almost 60. However, that is part of life.  I hope this was not a yes or no question.

1. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lovely answer, Larry. I, too, dreaded the draft in '68. Luckily, I got a deferment when my name was picked.

6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I attended college and graduated with a B.S. in environmental science. So far, I haven't been able to obtain employment in a field related to my degree.

7. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I have been a lifelong student, taking electronic engineering and art as correspondence courses. I've studied, on my own, calculus, geology, astrophysics, computer programming, and many other subjects in the sciences and out.

I finally decided to go to college when I was 45. I had already started my second career with computers and started a BS in computer science. I finally graduated at age 54, summa cum laude. Still paying off the student loans at age 63.

It was fun and rewarding.

1. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Way to go, lone77star! (not the student loans part, the "lifelong student' part and the BS in C Sci and graduating summa cum laude. (Just think how many people CAN'T say that??) Great job and attitude. Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

8. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8133530_f260.jpg

Oh my God! You just have to rub it in, don't you? I started university in 1979 and guess where I am today? I am still at college! All of my friends have graduated, well with the exception of one. He (my good friend and a Newf, Vic) in his 3rd year of our 4 year program became the 1st bar manager of our university's new pub and got so enveloped in the pub (it was named the Study) that he never graduated. To top it all off, I am still in college in 2013, that would be 34 years after I first started! Thus, yes I did go to college and I will continue to go to college until either retirement or (touch wood not my forehead) death. In the picture I am with my daughter who graduated in 2013! I am still at the college she graduated from!

9. Lee Tea profile image84
    Lee Teaposted 10 years ago

I received my BA in Communications and Media Studies from Penn State in 2003, tailored towards being a journalist.  My final class, the head of the dept. bluntly announced, "soon anyone will be able to post news online and you'll be out of a job."  He was right.

For several years I tried to get a job here in town.  My rejection letters were all the same. "Your writing skills are spectacular.  We've decided to hire someone with 15 years of experience."  Eventually I got tired of rejection letters.  I even applied to my college several times for jobs in which I was qualified, but was never granted an interview.  I was beginning to learn that employment was about who, not what, you know.

I went into direct sales and promotions, where my interpersonal communications skills were honed to their fullest, but made peanuts.  Most of the jobs I could acquire were independent contractor jobs that offered neither insurance nor steady work, and offered only commission as pay.

Eventually I got tired of selling garbage for large companies and started my own business - an organic tea and aromatherapy business that sells goods that reach my impossible standards.  I LOVED college for the social aspect - I'd pay 4 years tuition again just to have that experience - but for work?  No way.

College is big business, and our economy is suffering.  As both my husband and I run home-based businesses now, my advice would be to just DIVE IN to doing what you love.  There's enough technology available to the average person to market yourself properly, or even to sell your goods yourself.  Networking over education is paramount to making a living, and doing what you love is the name of the game.  Don't fall for a cheesy billboard of a happy young 20-something that screams "your future begins here" - that doesn't mean anything!  Colleges have the best marketing ploys, don't they?  Be aware.

Best of luck - just do what you love.  The rest will fall into place. 

In contrast, my little sister is going for her doctorate which she'll receive by age
    30.  I couldn't be more proud of her and encourage her everyday, though I know having college lay out my plans just isn't for me.

Be well! - Lee @ Lee's Teas

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I understand.. When I graduated with my BA in journalism, it was at the beginning of the Watergate scandal. I got a job quickly, but moving to a better job became harder as every English & history major suddenly wanted to be reporters for no mone

10. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 10 years ago

Yes. BA and Masters in Caribbean History.

11. Savio Dawson profile image90
    Savio Dawsonposted 10 years ago

Have been there and done that... smile

Thanks and regards (:-))
    Savio.

12. receivetipstricks profile image69
    receivetipstricksposted 10 years ago

This is my final year in the college, after this year i will be getting bachelor degree in I.T.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Best of luck!

13. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

Does your "sister" know you're using "her" account to post spam?

Reported...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)