More Republicans than Democrats would stay and fight if US is invaded

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

I didn't need a poll to know this one.  BUT a Quinnipiac University Poll has proven the obvious.  If the United States is invaded by a foreign power, most Democrats would run and most Republicans would stay and fight. 

When people have to face real-world consequences for their actions people change.  I've seen the biggest, toughest guys from NYC become terrified when things get real.

So, what does this poll mean to YOU?

"If Americans were in the same position as Ukrainians right now, more Republicans than Democrats would stay and fight, according to a poll released Monday.

Of the Republicans surveyed in the Quinnipiac University Poll, 68% said they would stay and fight compared to 40% of Democrats. Among Democrats, 52% said they would flee the country, compared to 25% of Republicans.

While the hypothetical question was polarizing between parties, the majority of Americans (55%) would still stay and fight if they were in the same position as the Ukrainians are now. Only 38% of those surveyed said they would leave the country."

https://nypressnews.com/news/politics/m … n-us-poll/

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Generally Physically that is an impossibility. Russian attack overseas is first defence. Then when US citizen carry 10 times the guns than their US largest Military complex in the world, it would surely fail unlike the slim possibilities in Ukraine. 

There are possiblies of cyberspace system attacks or soft  power grid system attacks by Russia. Which WEF keep threating to do so often and in connection with many world leaders in membership.

2. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Mike,

You guys will hang on to a single poll only when is convienient but dismiss an overwhelming number of others that are not.

Dems or libs tend to be more peaceful and not find "comfort" behind the gun. But, we are going to have to wise up and recognize that we are going to have to play "hard ball" in our relations with the "other side", and that is to include foreign invaders.

That poll is quite a revelation, but it may well be a aberration. I, as a left coast liberal, your worst nightmare, would stay and fight rather than being run out from my own home.

Readmikenowposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"I, as a left coast liberal, your worst nightmare, would stay and fight rather than being run out from my own home."

Trust me, I don't consider liberals my worst nightmare.  Having them in charge of things has proven to be everyone's nightmare.  I'm sure you would stay and fight. The majority of your fellow liberals would leave when things started getting real.

1. Sharlee01 profile image80
          Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

. I do have faith the majority of Americans can see what a mess the Dem's agenda has caused the country. Many Americans are missing AMERICA the one we knew and loved...   Have faith...

1. Credence2 profile image80

Sorry, Sharlee "Many Americans are missing AMERICA, the one we knew and loved.

That is the AMERICA that (you)knew and loved, I can't share your affection for such a place as having a nostalgist lure from your point of view.

1. Sharlee01 profile image80

Well Cred, it is clear you have not enjoyed the same America I have, you have admitted this much.  I have no solutions to fix the system that could provide you with the same feelings or experiences I have had.

It would seem we need to do something, but ripping down America does not seem logical.  I think we need to find a solution to mend the division and work to find respect for all hopes, views, and expectations for a better America. If we can't do this we will continue to have many filled with discontent. The disrespect and ill feelings we show as a society will only grow more disrespectful, more and stronger ill feelings.  There can be no problem-solving in the current atmosphere.

Where do we go from here? Our society is so split... When I say many Americans are missing AMERICA the one we knew and loved...   You need to consider this is how some Americans feel right now today.  You say you can't share that form of affection for such a time or place.  Do you not have a past that you can find pleasure reminiscing?   A little part of your life that you found a pleasurable time?   Can I ask you to erase that memory? I don't share it, so should I hope to take it from you?

We can't change yesterday, but we can work on it today, and tomorrow until we get it right.   But, in the process do we need to take away things from each other that we find pleasurable from our pasts?  Is it necessary or will it just hold up getting on with a better future?  I have said this to you before, I felt we were making some good progress, no not quick enough. But, we were moving forward, and now it feels like we have gone backward by decades.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
                Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

- Attitude is a reflection of our inner reactions to the environment/world we live in.

What forms our inner reactions, I wonder?

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

+

3. Credence2 profile image80

No, Sharlee, there are no solutions to what has happened yesterday, I just want to see a clean break from that pattern in regards to tomorrow. I am not always convinced of this in today's political climate.

Improving the coutry from this aspect does not mean we have to rip it down.

Sure, I reminisce. The "good" times were based on childhood and its relative ignorance of the reality of the environment around us. Who can forget the out of school summers, the Good Humor ice cream trucks with their nickel popsicles and 10 cent Eskimo Pies? I file experiences mentally in chronological fashion and do not forget a great deal.  As a kid, there is always a certain amount of shelter of the actual picture as discussed by the "grown ups".

I remember my father being in absolute fear regarding what to expect in the Civil Rights arena in 1964 from the Texan, Lyndon B. Johnson, was he going to renege on the promise and progress in the arena from the late John Kennedy? Everything in life was constantly contingent, in parents conversations  you could pick up their angst as to what was next even though you did not understand all the details.

Was America going to take Barry Goldwater seriously? I did not know much except that he was a "bad guy".  Johnson seems to have wanted to reach out and allay fears when he came to Denver on a campaign stop through our Black neighborhood in 1964. Fun times, and they say that ignorance is bliss, but one can neither remain a child and ignorant forever.

You indicate that you were comforted with the status quo, while we always constantly agitated for change. The accounts were always on my Mum's coffee table with Jet and Ebony magazines. I was old enough to understand the stories beyond the photographs.

It is never my intent to deprive anyone of their relative "good times" and great memories. It is just unfortunate, that except at the most basic levels, we cant share them.

It has a long time since I was a kid and the fact that everything that I was reading during the turbulent sixties and hoped that we would move beyond does not seem to come to fruition as quckly and as thoroughly as I thought it should over so much time.

3. Sharlee01 profile image80

I can honestly say I needed no poll to tell me more Republicans would stay and fight for their freedom. In my opinion, the Democrats are doing everything they can to rip down America, our very democracy, and remove the word freedom from our very vocabulary.  However, we the people who value freedom will hold strong, choose our battles carefully, and win those battles.

For me -- I have never been more ashamed of America. We the people voted in an administration that is a disgrace and has become an embarrassment on the world stage. They have caused problems for much of the world due to their poor Governing.

No, I need no poll to tell me who would fight for freedom...  I see it being destroyed by Democrats. And I truely feel Republicans will fight hard to fix what they have broken in 2022 and 2024.

4. abwilliams profile image67
      abwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think this Hub Pages crew would stay behind and fight. The Dems would probably hide behind us Conservatives {just kidding} we'd be shoulder to shoulder, no doubt!

I agree. It would suddenly occur to all of us, the need to defend our country despite all our stupid complaining. smile

1. abwilliams profile image67

I agree, everything else would seem so petty.

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image60
        Fayetteville Fayeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I can get behind this 100%

1. abwilliams profile image67

^5

Guys guys guys

No country in their right mind would attack American .

2. Ken Burgess profile image77
    Ken Burgessposted 2 years ago

It's just more proof of what I had concluded a while back.

30+ years ago Dems were the Blue Collar working class and the minorities party.

That changed and today the Blue Collar working class has been abandoned by the Dems, and they have shifted to the Reps and Independents.

While the Dems are still the party of ever increasing ever diversified minority classes, and now the well educated well off elites.

Typically the well off, well educated avoid war/conflict at all costs.

Typically the well off, well educated avoid war/conflict at all costs.

All my aims with family, thank you

"While the Dems are still the party of ever increasing ever diversified minority classes, and now the well educated well off elites."

Why do you think that minorities groups, blacks along with others overwhelmingly support Democrats?

Educated people generally tend to lean left, anyway. Since most minorities are not as wealthy as most whites, it would figure that they would have more blue collar, "working class" people amongst them as a percentage.

We all know that the 1percent and most wealthy whites vote Republican. The difference between us and white folks, from Oprah at one end of the economic scale vs. the hobo on skid row on the other, is that our group overwhelmingly supports Democrats, regardless of economic status. Is that not an interesting observation?

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
        Ken Burgessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think it is a reflection of the choices given.

You have espoused to me many times, despite the many detestable things I can bring up due to the Democratic Party, that Republicans have been worse for blacks.

I can't really argue that, while I feel the Democrats may use this divide, this vilification of the Republican Party as being racist and against the disenfranchised to garner votes, I can't counter it and say the Republicans do better than Democrats.

I always argue to look past Party, this divide is what makes the most corrupt elements of our government more powerful, more secure.

The game of politics in our country, its primary objective, it to keep Americans divided, and today our MSM is in full support of this divide... so much so CNN and FOX practically exist in two alternate realities.

This has been fracturing, as more and more people from all spectrums of the country are divided and discontented with their government... whether it is the Occupation of a City Block in Seatle or the mob storming through the Capitol Building, if you take out the labels... Liberal, Progressive, Right Wing, Conservative... you see there is discontent on all sides.

Allow me to bring to you the New World Order we are living in:

A sitting President was silenced, on Social Media and MSM.

A movement was crushed, the people involved in that movement had their bank accounts, businesses, and property confiscated or closed.

Another President is in the process of having every bank account, every asset, every supply cut off from his country.  Soon, he will lose control of his country, his own people will turn against him, and we can only hope he doesn't have the ability to unleash his revenge on the world.

None of those actions or events are controlled by a "Party".

"I think it is a reflection of the choices given."

OK.....

3. Fayetteville Faye profile image60
    Fayetteville Fayeposted 2 years ago

What good is this bit of information? (And a preface that this post is not speaking directly to the original poster but more in general)  To further draw a line in the sand between people? To give one "side" or the other some other dimension to rate the other on? Information of this kind just continues to  stoke division and hate. 
    This is ridiculous already. Are we all ready to start asking anyone in our sphere of interaction their party affiliation? Seems like it.  Are people really willing and ready to divide themselves, like splitting hairs on absolutely every single issue?  If your are, I think you should consider how much you're being manipulated by both media and politicians.
    Where will you be, sitting indignantly on your pile of righteous victories? People need to start finding common ground.

+

I presume that that reply was directed to me, Faye?

Without understanding, there can be no common ground. That is the biggest problem that perpetuates racial and other points of discord and disharmony, nobody listens.

Ken and I have have had these discussions for some time and he understands my meaning and intent. He made the comment, I wanted to delve further.

Like I told you before, from my perspective we are all divided. I read up on and try to understand the "other side" and expect them to ask pointed questions about differences and concerns that could bring clarity to the conversation and in turn, that facilitates understanding that ultimately could lead to this "common ground"

It is not the media or politicians, I can see this just taking an afternoon stroll. Nobody bothers to ask why we all vote differently, what are the fundamental things that keep us apart? CRT is one point of contention, for example. So, it is more involved than just media and politicians, although they can exacerbate a situation.

I don't sugarcoat, I ask hard questions and I expect others to ask them of me to see where we can learn to respect and understand one another better. That is a prerequisite to any appreciation of having common ground.

I have agreed with Credense2 on many things in the pass. This time I was more in agreement with Faye. I'm so sick and tired of all the extreme labeling of people in order divide and conquer for the benefit of the super rich. ever since the great civil war. Sounds oxymoron civil war, lol.

The first person, who gets angry in a business discussion , we both loose. When both may be of extreme views from each other.  It's best to compromise or move on. Useally In a team or family, a middle ground or everything in moderation is the better answer overall.

I am pleased that we have been able to see eye to eye on most things, Castle.

"The first person, who gets angry in a business discussion , we both loose. When both may be of extreme views from each other.  It's best to compromise or move on. Useally In a team or family, a middle ground or everything in moderation is the better answer"

Harmony has to based mutual respect, peace is not really that when one man has the foot on the neck of another. It is only seems peaceful because there appears to be no struggle. That is the fundamental reality of America for far too long.

I am not ruling out the role of wealthy capitalists in perpetuating the division. It is just that too many people that are not among the wealthy play into their hands for fleeting status and rewards and are more interested in pleasing the "master" than rolling up sleeves and being a part of making it more equitable for everyone. For no man can have two masters.

To belabor a point, much like the poor whites in 19th century America who, rather than unionizing with poor blacks for better working conditions prefer to suck up to the wealthy white plantation class exploiting them both for the psychological rewards of whiteness and status relative to blacks.

Sounds dated and cryptic to you? Well, the situation is not really that different, today. Change of techniques, victims and victimized, etc, but the principle is the same and that is why it never changes.

From building sandcastles, I found everything changes in life. I naturally respect everyone in degrees and everyone lies in degrees. The balance comes in the game of Tit for tat , not in the cruel game of Chess  who unbalanced the game of life for most for greed and causing envy.
            People are basically good and every group of people, there are a few negative ones, who are best to get rid of. Until they learn how to be better at being positive. Like the ignorance of that police officer choking a man to death. The greater problem is we are living in a Police State where punishment is worst than the crime for many.
            Also the BLM can cause harm in violence protest defeating their purposes of being example of nonviolent. I  thought the Canadian trucker convoy  was the best of a nonviolent protest and we won the case of mask and vaccine mandates.
            We do live in an over ego world, yet the world is my family to love and to be kind to. I can't find a better master in life than myself. If someone is dealing with lesser of the two evils, dumped them both, they are still too (two) evil.

3. Credence2 profile image80

I apologize, I may have failed to realize that your comments may well have not have been directed to me at all.

That big of differences?, lol

I miss your point...

Our differences in paths to be balanced internal and external. Like everything in moderation and a live and let live.
            Not through always Political and Religious ways first,  I hope.

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image60

No apologies needed. I'm speaking in a general sense.
        Politics in our country  has become almost entirely tribal. And I do believe politicians and media (for their own gain) have capitalized on some Americans willingness to isolate themselves. Some Citizens are  completely ensconced in party line media. We hear Constant "othering" , a complete unwillingness to consider a range of ideas and furiously twisting themselves into knots to hang "failures" on the opposite tribe while ignoring a range of compounding factors. Too many are becoming so isolated and so dependent on certain sources of media that thinking for themselves has gone by the wayside. 
        This is my biggest issue. This isn't about President Biden anymore, This isn't about Mr Trump anymore. You can replace those two men with two others and I think we will see the same continue into the future.  The "us vs.  them"  mentality weakens our  country.  Actually I'd say it's pretty un  American.

So, what do you suggest?  Support a party that stands for things you are against?  Give the other side whatever they want so we have harmony?  Sorry, that's not going to happen.

The reality of politics is that it has ALWAYS been tribal. People will align themselves with a political group they believe represents their beliefs and values and will work to have them put in positions of authority.  That has been going on since ancient Greece.

What we are experiencing today is nothing new.  It's just been repackaged into modern setting.

The only way to change things is for people to sacrifice their beliefs and values.  That's not going to happen.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image60

We gain more by compromise rather than holding intractable positions just for the sake of holding them.
            Leaders, politicians seem more comfortable with attacking opposition rather than trying to find common ground.  There really is overlapping consensus among the political spectrum. It's just being ignored.  We all agree on relative principles, values

If politicians themselves do not recognize the value of compromise, then voters need to use elections to show that they do. Voters must choose representatives who care enough about governing to take the risks of compromising. This does not mean accepting candidates who abandon their principles or forgo partisanship. But it does mean choosing candidates who are able to set aside their uncompromising mindsets long enough to craft the compromises necessary to improve on the status quo and serve the common good.
            Can this happen within the current two-party system? Probably not. Both have sort of poisoned themselves in my view. Most of us independents would like to see a third party. We don't find enough value in either the current Republican or Democrat parties to meet the challenges of the future.

Well, I think what you are proposing is not real.  Politicians always have and always will attack opposition.  This is part of getting elected.  They will say what is necessary to get the voter to believe they will represent their interests.  It's how they stay in office.

Compromise can be viewed my many voters as being weak.  This will lead a politician who likes their job to say what they believe their voters want to hear.

This is the reality of politics around the world.

To me, an independent is just a person who lacks the courage and conviction to work within a party to make it represent their values and beliefs.  It is an easy option.  I consider an independent like a fan in the stands of a football game giving their advice to the two teams actually playing the game.  They judge but don't have what it takes to be a player.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

+

There is always a new and improved Way.

2. Sharlee01 profile image80

I  agree ...  It would seem those on the other side of the divide seem to feel there is little room for any other way but their way. Very much unrealistic. It would; seem that our society has split ib regard to ideologies, and what we see for America.  My beliefs are strong and have done me as well as my loved ones well.  I am not in any respect willing to give even one inch to the left far-fetched ideologies. Just look what this administration has done in one short year. I can honestly say this administration does not reflect one of my own ideologies.  They have ripped at the very core of America in my view.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of our 2022 elections. I feel the present Congress will be set out to pasture, stopped cold. Can't come soon enough.

3. Castlepaloma profile image75

All we have in life is what we give away.
            If one wants money, give money, same for love. The only group I belong to is the Optimist club, it is a club I sacrifice my high energy to. I don't choose to sacrifice to Drug cartels,  political or military with their endless conflicts and lack of solution, they are not necessary for a successful lifestyle. Proven that to myself.

The best history and investment I can possible make is locally, friends, family and grass root group that can grow globally. Like being Unique rather than fighting the competition Even though competition I've had a great road record at. Do find from maturing,  co-operation is healthier and more seriously fun.

In nature a tree doesn't fight with its branches, why should we?.

I think we, (humans,) innately have a love of our own personal power. It is very satisfying to come out on top, in our own minds.

Trees don't fight with their branches because they get along with one another, as long has they have enough nutrients and sun for themselves.

They don't worry about the other trees as long as there is enough space.  Then, they stand there enjoying their own wonderful lives, soaking up sunshine from the sky and water/nutrients from the earth. They watch the birds scatter and play on their branches where there is probably some drama going on amongst the squirrels, crows and sparrows, starlings, robins and such.

However, crows get pretty egotistic with their own greatness over smaller birds and creatures. They truly enjoy dominating sassy mocking birds and taunting arrogant house cats. In conclusion, fighting and power/survival struggling occurs, as a rule, in nature.

(Sorry for rambling on. Oh well, it comes with freedom of thought / speech.)

Perhaps all of nature can be unjust, starting with.the star exploding and changing throughout the universe.

4. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 2 years ago

Not sure I would use poll and proof in the same sentence.  Someone could easily poll Republicans from rural counties who are armed to the teeth and Democrats from cities who have means but no weapons and get this result.

It's just a poll.  There is an old saying that goes "When things get real you will find out who is real."  I'm sure we would only find out who would fight and who would run when faced with that situation.

It's easy to respond to a poll question.  It's another thing to make good on what you said when things are serious.

1. Valeant profile image86
        Valeantposted 2 years agoin reply to this

And it'd also be interesting to see how many Trump Republicans suddenly came down with debilitating bone spurs.

... then what would they do?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)