What is the biggest change you have made to your hub for traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (62 posts)
  1. Helen Cater profile image62
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

This is a topic that will help lots of people. We all tinker with our hubs now and then. What is the best thing you changed on your hub that resulted in more traffic?

1. free4india profile image60
      free4indiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think people are going to give out that secret ? Most people who answer such questions answer with some stupid things we already know....

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some of us believe in sharing and helping the hubpages family grow so we all benefit. I really do think that thinking ahead and diversifying topics helps your traffic and that's why I mentioned it.

2. Helen Cater profile image62
        Helen Caterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I think people on hubpages will want to help. I guess you must fall into the category of not wanting to help so why bother posting in this thread?

2. iT Be EarL profile image58
      iT Be EarLposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i only started using it today xD

2. earner profile image80
    earnerposted 14 years ago

Found out how to get modules inside modules, now I can integrate the ebay/amazon modules, whereas before I was having them full width after a section.

It isn't rocket science, once you've set aside the time to find out how and had a fiddle about smile

I'd say for somebody new to set aside 30 minutes maximum to find the answer and fiddle about.

Then I wrote a new module and added new keywords.

3. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

Since I started being active bere in April this year I've become much more direct in choosing titles and hub urls. The direct approach seems to produce organic traffic whereas picking a title that sounds good , doesn't work so well.

Pick a title/url with your keywords in it and you have a better chance of ranking in the organic search results.

1. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In total agreement.

2. Deezine profile image60
      Deezineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Having a keyword rich domain is probably the one single most overlooked, but influential [re google] factor regarding any new website. Hubpages are sub-domains, but the principle remains every bit as relevant.

4. Helen Cater profile image62

Yes I agree with all of this. I happened to start picking more direct titles and the organic traffic is 50% now.

1. broussardleslie profile image76
      broussardleslieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is "organic traffic?"

5. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

being nominated for a hub nugget.....it does wonders!
    so in a way, it's I suppose writing quality hubs too...

1. Carmen Borthwick profile image61
      Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree myownworld. The most traffic/comments I've had in 2 months was after I came in fifth after voting. It seems to have lulled to a 70ish rating on my hubs so I must be missing something.

6. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Often, adding some of the capsules everyone hates working into there Hubs is somewhat beneficial. Something like polls, and rss feeds help quite a bit.

~thranax~

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Learning and implementing tagging to best effect put around 100 views per day onto my daily stats. I spend so much time on tagging now, that I only fill them in every 10 hubs.

8. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

i got rid of adsense....write what i want.....way more traffic!

1. andromida profile image54
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very good idea..

1. Cara S profile image60
        Cara Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uhm, I am new to all this, I am from AC. But let me ask, if you get rid of adsense how can you make any money?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That was my question too!  But you can make money through the eBay and Amazon revenue capsules, if you are signed up for those programs.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

And that benefits you how?

I was wondering that too. Maybe they have lots of other affiliates.

9. pageantgirl31413 profile image77
    pageantgirl31413posted 14 years ago

Keywords and rss feeds. I also put links to other related hubs of mine.

10. rumbling profile image49
    rumblingposted 14 years ago

For me it was adding the summary. I never thought of adding the summary before but for every hub I add a good summary rich with key words. It helped me a lot to attract search engine traffic

11. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

The summary text does seem to improve traffic from search engines if you write it with your keywords in mind.I've not been bothering much with tags so thats the next thing I need to tweek and test.

12. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

Quick tip:

Adding a news feed (you may have to tinker with the keywords to get relevant results) or highly-relevant RSS feed can really help, because it changes frequently, and search engines read that as updated content.

1. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are there directions anywhere about how to do add an RSS feed to our hubs? Where do we go for the feed? Where do we get the URL? I'm lost when it comes to RSS and I've got some hubs I would love to add it to.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A news feed is easiest, because you can simply add a news capsule and then mess around with keywords until you find a combination that get you relevant results.

There are lots of places to find RSS feeds.  On most blogs, there will be a link to subscribe to the RSS feed, and you can click on that and then copy the URL and add it to an RSS capsule.  If you're doing that, make sure it is a reputable, highly-relevant blog, that it's not spammy, and that it is frequently updated.

2. Helen Cater profile image62

I have not used any of these yet so I am going to tinker arouund with the news feed today. thanks Maddie.

13. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

There are a combination of things I went back and changed about my hubpages, the titles was one, I went back and made most of them more keyword focused according to what people were seaching for, the added bonus of having your permanent url and your title reflecting similar but equally different keyword titles helps alot.

Also making sure that every capsule has some sort of related keyword, usually the top keyword phrase of the hubpage in question.

There are other changes that help, but you can find these all over hubpages, so I don't repeat what others are saying too much!!

Thank you for your help, Steffer.

So, we can have a different URL than our title?

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No a different title, but our url is fixed with whatever keywords we write!

2. Shirley Anderson profile image71
        Shirley Andersonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you sure can.  For best traffic results, you should have the url keywords in your title, too.

14. steffer profile image60
    stefferposted 14 years ago

organic traffic is traffic that came from search engines

15. steffer profile image60
    stefferposted 14 years ago

yes, when you 1st post your title url, and you change your title afterwards (maybe to attract more people) your title changes, but the url stays the same, that way, you can work extra targeted

Now I'm smelling what your steppin' in!  Thank you!!

16. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Is their somewhere I can learn how to use the RSS feed?

Ive added it ok ,when I took part in Hubmobs thingy ,but Shirley or Princesa usually put the link in, so was easy to copy.

Guess I just dont know what it is I would be adding in the RSS capsule..( dumb question ,I know)

17. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

E.K. - did you read this? This is Maddie's response to my question asking the same thing. I'm going to try it.

"There are lots of places to find RSS feeds.  On most blogs, there will be a link to subscribe to the RSS feed, and you can click on that and then copy the URL and add it to an RSS capsule.  If you're doing that, make sure it is a reputable, highly-relevant blog, that it's not spammy, and that it is frequently updated."

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ohok thanks alot , appreciate it smile

18. Helen Cater profile image62

Had a tinker around yesterday and put in a few news capsules and my traffic has plummeted. dear me I don't know what to do now is anyone else having a severe drop in traffic this week. Perhaps hubpages is on vacation.

19. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Helen I think Saturday into Sunday is a little slower overall. I'm usually online quite early Mon thru Fri (work etc) but I'm usually well into the day before I get online at weekends.

I never bothered tweaking mine for ages, then tried it on a few and they did improve. I altered headers, reduced or added keywords/tags. Move pictures around in order to manipulate ads a bit better (I think relache and lissie have hubs related to ad placement and presentation).

One time, for the hell of it, I published a hub that followed one of Mark Knowles methods word for word. I don't know when it appeared on Google but I remember checking one day and it was on page one.

I've done more since, it's worked again. Though I have gone and added a backlink or two and/or improved the hub a little more with pictures or a bit more text in order to have them 'stick' to the position - ie not drop back a few pages.

This was his method: 4/500 words, one picture, one link, preferably an internal one and one that linked back to a related hub of your own. Off the top of my head - you'll have to read his hub, but something close to that. Of course I researched the topic/keyword, I wasn't stabbing in the dark.

Try it - in your niche. I can send you a couple of ideas if you want them smile

Send me all you can as any help is appreciated. I have hit a bit of a brick wall at the moment and feel no desire to write anything. Maybe it will show me some light and motivate me again.

Helen, you've hit a brick wall?  I'm not surprised.  You have written a good number of Hubs in a relatively short time, and I know you didn't just dash them off - you worked on SEO, layout, etc, so they all took effort to produce.

I think you've done very well, I'd be patting myself on the back right now.

Thanks marisa I think I put a little too much pressure on myself. A few days break will do me good as I think I have worked so hard I need time out. Will come back fighting very soon.

20. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Write lots of hubs on different subjects. When one group is down the other usually compensates. I also try to diversify for the season. Halloween is hot, summer barbecue has sunk through the patio.

While I'm working on Christmas hubs now, in the back of my mind I'm thinking Valentines' Day and winter sports.

1. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bet you're a great mommy Nelle! Never forget what day it is (like me), or a birthday (like me) or the important things in life (like me). I wish i could be more organized smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And don't forget, the Olympic Games are coming up in February. I don't know if it's high-earning but I assume hubs about them will get more traffic.

1. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol stop! I'm faffing with a stupid amount of hubs as it is, am rubbish at forward planning and terrible with anything related to sports, even though I was athletic as a kid.

And nice one Nelle. My kids all adore my sister - think she's the coolest women out. And she's been a damn good auntie down the years, and still is, though she's a mom too.

2. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Olympics are HUGE!!!! if you figure out the right athlete to promote. Made quite a pretty penny when Dana Torres was so wonderful.

21. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Actually I'm not a mommy - but I'm a fabulous cool Auntie. My nephew is now 28 and niece 24. So I don't get to "play" with them much anymore.

I'm good on the general season, but miserable with the actual day. I don't think I've gotten a birthday right since they stopped having their birthday parties. When I do remember I have to make up for it with really good presents.

22. diariesofvampires profile image62
    diariesofvampiresposted 14 years ago

I have only been a member for 2 weeks.  I only have had time to write 3 blogs.  I haven't made that much at all, I am still learning quite a bit when I have the chance.  I appreciate all the information that everyone gives at the forums.  I am still quite a bit confused on how to move things around on your pages, or to use keywords.  If anyone can help me out that would be absolutely fantastic.  Thanks!

First of all, stop thinking of your Hubs as blogs.  Blog posts are chatty and short.  Hubs are more like magazine articles - the kind of thing you'd like to read in your favourite women's magazine, for instance.  Sounds like you're a fan of vampire shows - what would fans of those shows want to read?  Write quality articles on that subject, then you'll make money.  But don't expect to see much income for several weeks - it's not instant!

1. diariesofvampires profile image62
        diariesofvampiresposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marisa - Thanks So Much for the advice.  I will definitely not refer to my hubs as blogs - I write on another website and they consider them blogs.  However, hubpages seems to be way more interactive and I like that.  I knew the monetary side wasn't instant.  I am going to write more in the future to build traffic, when I am not working a bazillion hours a week.  By the way, thank you for your advice.

Diaries, it's not about the interactivity, it's about the content.  A blog post is short.  A Hub is long and informative with photos and videos included.  That's the main difference.

23. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

How about opitmization or the SEO hehehe this is also a big player in getting traffic.

Hi Shirley my dear princess, I'm taking a break hehehe to unwind a bit, got exhausted already with my work and HP... How are ya?

1. Shirley Anderson profile image71
      Shirley Andersonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Handsome!  Like your new hat. wink

I'm doing well, busy as usual but that's good.

How are things in your part of the world?

By the way, SEO is very important, for sure!

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
        GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm about to lose my bestest friend, he's shifting work, I would sorely miss his companionship...

24. Island Tropical profile image59
    Island Tropicalposted 14 years ago

Always post a great content.

25. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I'm playing around with interlinking related hubs using anchored text links. Hub Llama has written a good hub which includes this area of SEO that's worth reading:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Help-HubPage-Ha … le-Adsense

Thanks will have a look at this as I am not too sure what it actually means.

26. Clet Anni profile image61
    Clet Anniposted 14 years ago

I have really do any changes to get organic traffic to my hub just because i am new to the site when i do i will post it here.
    But with my knowledge on SEO i believe summary, RSS and tagging can generate traffic most especially writing on with your keywords smartly.

27. Helen Cater profile image62

I would like to know if anyone else has mysterious earnings from google AdSense. I keep getting around 70 cents show up on top of my displayed earnings and I have no idea where it is coming from. I have all my hubs in the channel data and have double checked that i have not missed any. It only started happening this week. Is it due to an Ad sell or do we not get anything from people buying?

Is this the amount that comes from "HubPages.com"?  If so, it could be just an overlap - just uncheck that box in the channels list when you generate the report.

I can't do that these days, because I have referral sign-ups and that's where those show up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)