A Rant: Letting off some steam

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Jackson Riddle profile image47
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

I just need to get some things out, so here goes. I have no life. I spend too much time at home sitting at my computer doing nothing. I want to do everything. If want to write stuff, so I go and write stuff. If I want to research something, I'll research something. You catch my drift, my life is annoying me.

Why can't someone just start a blog and get traffic? Is this so hard? It's not, it can't be. Personally, I know there are people out there who spend are much worse than me, spending their whole days doing nothing and trolling on forums etc etc so why aren't people like this viewing my site? When I look at the stuff I do on the internet and then think of 100million other people doing things like this and worse then some should be viewing my site.

It is inevitable that I am wasting my life. Why don't I do something with my life? This is easier, even though I am failing at the things I set out to do on the internet.

What really grinds my gears is seeing stereotypical people who hit it big on youtube or groups that get huge on facebook. It is not fair. Sure, (cliche) life is not fair, but screw that. I want to get big, I want to be noticed. This is why I have conformed. Conformed to the ways of a person that rants and raves in the hope of striking success.

I will most likely fail but screw that. I should waste my time with the chance of people following my daily rants. Most of you will never read it, screw that, I'm here and I am writing this dribble.

<URL snipped - no promotion of links in the Forums>

As this is a rant it is unedited, good to get out nevertheless.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I misunderstood your statements above. The way I read it, you're saying you currently spend your days amusing yourself on the internet, doing nothing in particular.  You feel you should be able to start a blog (about nothing in particular) and it should immediately get readers.  You say it's "not fair" that other people should "make it big", and you don't.

Jackson, I have bad news for you.  There are millions of people in this world, and 99% of them will never "make it big".  If you want to be noticed, you have to do something exceptional.  True, sometimes people are just in the right place at the right time, but most successful people worked bloody hard for their success.

The internet is no different.

I remember the disappointment when I started my first blog - like you, I thought that out of millions of readers, surely one or two would stumble across it.  In fact, I wrote a Hub about it.  But there's no point ranting and saying it isn't fair - it IS fair that those who work hard get rewarded and those who want money for jam will be disappointed.  You have a long learning curve ahead of you - get on it.

2. Jackson Riddle profile image47
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

Wow, this thread failed too lol.

1. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what you expected to achieve in 15 minutes but at least you've got a keen eye for recognising failure when you see it.

Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's the first step, 11 more to go.

3. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Blogging is the piece work factory job of the 21st century. It's grim, thankless, and underpaid. You could always get up and do something in the community half the day and blog the other half. Your chances of getting rich on the web are not good. You'll feel better if you accept that and write for writing's sake, then go do something constructive for at least part of your day.

You have hit the nail on the head. I want to be part of something (on the internet), I do admit I probably exagerated my situation just a small amount but nevertheless I do do other things in my day (for roughly 9-10 hours) but when I am at home I want to be part of something else via the internet. Someday I might start looking for financial incentives, for know I just want to develop a large 'fan base' not nessacarily on HP, more through traffic on my 'blog'. The hardest thing is starting I guess.

My final ultimatum is that if I get rich so be it, I really want to not be appreciated as such but almost be accepted and liked as a blogger.

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its very important to start out on the best footing, you have selected your name as your site,an ego domain...consider aligning yourself with a catchy phrase instead.. maybe something with rant in it

Your using a free blogspot site, make the jump to your own hosted site with more customization options.

Online success has a lot of luck involved, maybe, but one can most certainly start out ahead of 90% of those who just try and luck there way along by taking the time to research their market and how to be seen by them.

But dont research to long! churn out content as its the bread and butter of getting visitors

I think I will be moving to a paid domain soon because yes you are right.

About churning out content, i have started with my rant, where it goes from there nobody knows.

Thanks all for the increasing amount of help and tips smile

1. sunforged profile image70
            sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know Im right! Ive been where you are.

Marissa is right also, its important to not let the search and slow success get you down to much in the beginning. Get out and about!

Go to local events and landmarks, then write about them, pursue learning new skills and languages , then write about learning and then teach how!

Being a writer, blogger, ste developer is the perfect reason to live in a continuous state of learning and self development

You never lose that way! as you always acquire knowledge

4. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

If you want to be noticed, then you're wasting your time here unless you actually write some Hubs.

Blogging is hard work, just as hard as any day job.  That's why I've gone back to my day job - it pays better and at least I get to meet people, LOL! 

If you expect to get rich by swanning around on the internet,it's not going to happen.  Do your research.  If you're just going to blog about nothing in particular, it's never going to work.

Lol, I'm not here to get rich. I've been considering writing some hubs but I've got to put some more thought into it. However I am intending on publishing a hub in the next few days, still unsure of what it will be on though.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't think about it too long - just write the Hub!  The successful people on HubPages and the internet are the ones who get on and do it, not just talk about it.

If you are looking for recognition, write some superlative content that drags the readers in.

5. Quilligrapher profile image73
    Quilligrapherposted 14 years ago

Becoming a successful, recognized, and rewarded writer has no value if you haven't experience a lot of rejection getting there!
    Q.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)