Google Chrome OS will Win or Lose against Microsoft ?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (29 posts)
  1. chandanakumarct profile image60
    chandanakumarctposted 14 years ago

What do you guys think. Whether Google Chrome will Win the Race or  still the monopoly leader Microsoft.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most people aren't too willing to swap OS's. They'll stick with reliability. I say Microsoft will win. Google will have to wait a couple more years before they're taken seriously.

1. anjalichugh profile image69
        anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't underestimate Google. It has become a giant over the years.

2. HubChief profile image71
        HubChiefposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Business world is so much using into microsoft and application deployed over MS. There is such a huge user base for developing windows based application, my guess is that Google OS may get small share but what happened to Linux due to high windows price may not repeat this time.

Google has got name but what they are trying is a hard pitch. I'd be surprised if they get into leads role...

2. Mobile Phones profile image59
      Mobile Phonesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Microsoft still rules OS Business. Google has a long way to go!

3. onthewriteside profile image59
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The question is not which OS is better, but rather how fast popular apps will adjust for the new OS's.  Look how long it has taken Linux to attract enough SW writers to become compliant with their format.  And it is a much lighter, far more stable OS in my opinion.

For Google to compete in that market, (and I'm sure they will handled themselves just fine eventually), they will have to quickly convince enough software companies that are authors of very popular apps that their system is worth writing for.  With Google's reputation, I don't think that is going to be much of a problem.  The big problem will be convincing enough of the big businesses already locked into Windows to take the plunge...

Conversions aren't cheap...

4. profile image49
      gracy77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Google Chrome OS will most likely compete directly with Windows XP for netbooks and Microsoft's Windows 7. Sources said that Google OS can be a threat to  Microsoft greatly especially if the businesses in the professional world like it as they did with Microsoft's Windows XP Professional.
      http://helpwindows7.com/forum/

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

We think you have to do some self-education first smile

3. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Anjali, you might want to read this one smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Google-Chrome-O … f-The-Year

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I knew Google couldn't pull it off. They should stick to Search Engines......and Adsense, ha!

4. chandanakumarct profile image60
    chandanakumarctposted 14 years ago

My point of view is if Google Introduces an new OS too. It wont be as User Friendly(Look and Feel of Microsoft). Next important thing is compatibility. Still Google falls here smile

5. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You are still missing the point man, and comparing apples to oranges. Chrome is NOT meant for use on personal computers, therefore there is no race at all smile

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tried it and didn't like it.  It's like using ie but without the search engine where it is easily found.  To much opening pages it's annoying.

6. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

The Google Chrome operating system is a variant of Linux. I'm sure it will function well.

The REAL question you should be asking is "Do I want the documents I create to be kept on my own computer, or stored on Google's servers on the web.

If you're not concerned about those sort of issues, then Chrome will probably be a good choice, because all your documents and data will be available from any computer connected to the web.

If you have a high paranoia level about security and other people being able to access your files, then it's probably not for you.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Although as Amazon has shown recently.... the files on your computer can be accessed anyhow!

7. Mac Mission profile image60
    Mac Missionposted 14 years ago

If the mac os would have been like microsoft compatable today mac would have been ruled the world. If the google make this os as microsoft where this os is very user friendly i am damn sure they give tough competation

8. N. Ramius profile image73
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

Chrome is to chip away at Windows. If it steals even a couple Microsoft customers, it will probably have done its jon

9. profile image0
    Hack Retisposted 14 years ago

Chrome is not out to kill Windows. Then again, I'm of the school of thought that Microsoft already killed Windows for us.

It's just going to go onto tiny computers that are built to surf the net. What else do you use your computer for, anyway?

Just wondering.

1. karpouzian profile image60
      karpouzianposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This!

10. mrwerd profile image66
    mrwerdposted 14 years ago

Chrome is going in to capture the part of the market that Microsoft will lose when it finally pulls XP; the netbook/Intel Atom bit.  Chrome OS will not have the features that companies can use, such as deployment tools and directory support...

...yet.  If Google can establish a small foothold with what is essentially a Linux distribution, it will pump the funding in to create a full-fat OS to target the enterprise market.

Saying that, Windows 7 is something special, so I think Google will have a tough job on its hands, especially fighting multiple fronts; Chrome browser vs IE, Android vs iPhone, and possibly Chrome OS vs Windows.

I did write about Chrome a while back - here's the link:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Google-Chrome-O … ow-Cleaner

11. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Google is innovating, that's what successful companies do.  If enough people find it useful, they'll pay for it and Google will make money that will then be used to innovate some more.  Google Chrome is not a direct competitor to Windows.  I'm not quite sure who, if anyone, will find Chrome useful.  But that's the point, you go with an idea and let it run to see if it's a winner.  Doing the same thing over and over again in business is a sure way to find yourself out of it.

Remember people didn't think much of the Japanese when they went into the electronics and car businesses.  What a difference a few years makes.  Same story for Sam Walton too.  Sears and K-Mart didn't take him seriously either.  Oops.

1. maidouxixi profile image59
      maidouxixiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.Like this sentence best "Doing the same thing over and over again in business is a sure way to find yourself out of it.
      "Not only in business ,but also in life .

12. HubChief profile image71
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

any update news on this? more participant views?

13. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

Between MS and Google...I think this depends on the release of Windows 7...If it were a compare between Windows and Linux...I think Linux will win.

14. profile image29
    564626posted 14 years ago

Do you like to buy cars from Hummer. or Vehicle like hummer from BMW. Both have own class. But reputation in own field. Like Google and Microsoft are experts in own field.

In most of Asian countries peoples are still using pirated version OS.  They still using XP. Why they will switch for new OS?

If Google wants fast success. Then, Google should give free OS. or They should target mass and sell cheaper. if not free.

Say $5per Genuine key.

15. HubChief profile image71
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

Windows 7 is extensibility of current OS. My question further, Are users willing to switch to Chrome and are all their apps are compatible to chrome installation. What is Google thinking of all the apps that we have been using for so many years. is chome going to be compatible?

I have doubts on timeline for chrome to settle.. lol

16. word_power76 profile image60
    word_power76posted 14 years ago

I think it will take time but eventually Chrome will hit it big. It has already started promoting Chrome on other websites especially youtube...

17. sweetmir profile image61
    sweetmirposted 14 years ago

I think it take time to overcome on microsoft. Still most computer users not know about the Google chrome.

18. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

I think firefox is gonna beat both IE and Chrome in the end.

~thranax~

http://sushiweb.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/firefox.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)