how do I turn a profit out of the site?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (22 posts)
  1. joel_berry925 profile image59
    joel_berry925posted 15 years ago

I have posted 2 general hubs thus far and i am confused as to what i need to do to get the ball rolling on the money side. I see alot of random flowery advice hubs. Do  you have to post certain ones to make money? how is the money sent to you? etc So yeah i just needed a lamence explanation from the beginning on how to turn profit here.message me on my page if poss thanks.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What don't you understand exactly?

Are you familiar with google adsense?
      Amazon affiliates?
      Ebay?

These are the most popular ways of making money here.

2. profile image0
      IMHustleposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Joel,

Hubbers make money from the Adsense ads that appear on our Hubs and from the Amazon and eBay modules we add to our Hubs. If you want to "get the ball rolling on the money side", you're going to have to create Hubs that cover more commercial topics.

Here's an idea: Head over to Amazon.com, check out the bestsellers page, make note of the ones that you're really interested in and create Hubs around the top 10 bestsellers your passionate about/have a strong interest in. You do the same thing for eBay products at eBay Pulse or eBay Express Pulse.

When you create your Hubs, make sure you're providing quality, original content that will be helpful/useful to your reader. You will also want to add images and videos that are relevant as well as eye-catching.

Don't take an "if you build it, they will come" attitude when it comes to getting visitors to your Hubs. You will need to add keyword tags related to your topic and do some on-page search engine optimization (SEO) by strategically including the keywords you want to rank well for in the search engines throughout your article. To get an idea of what keyword tags you should focus on, enter the URL for your Amazon product pages or eBay Pulse search results into Google's external keyword tool - look for & explore the search terms that have sponsored advertising along with moderate search volume. You also want to do some social bookmarking of your Hubs to get backlinks.

There's a lot more, but this is more than enough to get you started. Besides I don't want to overwhelm you smile.

1. Dorsi profile image89
        Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Excellent advice!

2. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages.

Please be advised that it is frowned upon entering the forums for the sole purpose of promoting your hubs.  You may want to read the thread Maddie Ruud (a long-time hubber and all around awesome gal, as well as Hubpages staff member and forum moderator) created which contains all kinds of awesome information you need to know about Hubpages:

Frequently Asked Questions

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Joel, if you read the Help you should have noticed the advice that HubPages is a place to write interesting, informative articles for your own enjoyment, and that you should regard any money you make as a bonus. 

There are Hubbers here who are making good income but they have worked hard at learning search engine optimisation, how to target the right keywords, as well as taking care to write good articles.  Your question suggests you think you just have to write a few Hubs and the money will start rolling in - it doesn't happen like that!

You'll find plenty of Hubs on how to put a good Hub together, as well as making money on the internet.  Make the effort to find them!  I earned nothing for the first three months but am now making about $20 a month.  I still have a lot to learn!

4. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

Joel, you'll need to write many more hubs. There is sort of a cumulative effect with traffic. The more hubs you have, the more traffic you'll get. With traffic comes ad clicks and hopefully some sales from Amazon and Ebay if you have the right kind of hubs.

It takes awhile to see any action so you need some patience. While you are waiting for earnings and traffic to kick in, concentrate on publishing good hubs and it will come in time.

5. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Welcome to HubPages - the community skilled in making a quick buck.  Ignore these writer types.  I admire your direct, non-flowery approach.  We're here to make money right? 

You want money?  Here goes.  The best technique is to get around 500 fans then ask them to send you a dollar each.  When you run out then ask your fan base for more.  This is much easier than all this AdSense nonsense and you'll 'turn profit pretty quick do this'.

6. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

I laughed so hard at Rik's response that it hurt!

7. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

Keep on writing hubs to get the ball rolling.It rolls slowly in the beginning.

8. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Darkside - I was so touched by your encouraging response I've turned to the Darkside and joined your fan club - But don't expect any cash when its time for the begging email.

9. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

So you sell it, but you don't buy into it?

Misha would call you a "snail oil salesman".

big_smile

10. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You are a snail oil salesman!

Whom we are talking about anyway? wink

11. zylla3philippines profile image61
    zylla3philippinesposted 15 years ago

Thanks JB...you're giving me hope. The 4 weeks I'd been here, I keep getting lost. Maybe I can continue writing when I can get to the final step of letting Amazon and eBay appear in my hub. When I get instructions to copy the code and paste it in my site, huh?  It's time to wander around again.

Just now, I thought I learned to do the 'link to...', then I discovered--I think I still missed one more little thing. Just when I learned to trust my comprehension skills, sigh! Optimization is not even in my dreams yet. Good luck to both of us! I'd better get something for my headache.

12. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Don't copy code and try to paste it in a Hub.

Put your affiliate IDs in the "affiliate settings" window (available from the "my account" window).

After that, any time you put an Amazon or eBay capsule in a Hub, it will contain your afiliate ID automatically.

Jenny

13. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

How can I put an amazone or E bay capsule on my hubs?
    jyoti kothari.
    hyderabad/jaipur

1. Inspirepub profile image72
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Same way you put in any other capsule - pick it off the list (visible on the right side in edit mode).

Jenny

14. profile image57
    D Roweposted 15 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with him asking about the money upfront seeing how HubPages posts under the JOBS section of craigslist.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/wri/701579141.html

1. quotations profile image88
      quotationsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if this is really an ad by Hubpages. I recall someone posting that they had seen a similar ad for writers and it turned out they wanted you to sign up with Hubpages using t heir affiliate tracker link so that they would get credit for your page views. It turned out the "job" was just the chance to earn adsense revenue like everyone else.

15. zylla3philippines profile image61
    zylla3philippinesposted 15 years ago

Thanks Jenny...I still do everything manually, thank heavens I managed to be back here (pure chance) and found your response. I seemed to have tried putting my # on the affiliates (so I thought), but I am not sure where I'm stuck. I only see the eBay logo with 'right now on eBay' and 'no amazon results found'. I'm not sure if it should automatically display like AdSense or I have to individually choose something. When I try to choose an item, it seems like I am shopping for something, so I just quit.

Yeah....you see me now laughing and crying for some nice display graphics. I actually stop for a while lest I'll be pulling out my hair.

16. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Go to edit mode and click the ebay and amazon capsules.
    Go to edit mode of boyh the capsules and find relevant adds by checking links and preview it. save it and your ads will be displayed.
    Jyoti

17. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Or select the "keyword" option (it will have inserted the name of your Hub by default, so you will usually have to change it to a single word or two-word keyword to get any results).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)