Shakespeare's Sonnet-Translation to modern English

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (33 posts)
  1. karthu profile image58
    karthuposted 15 years ago

Shakespeare has written many sonnets and you know it is hard to get what he meant.
    Here is the translation of his sonnets into modern english which anyone can understand...

1. pink lingerie profile image58
      pink lingerieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

whatever language it is, it's still same old boring sonnets

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

???????????????????????????
        Yer jist kiddin' me rite sweetie?

2. karthu profile image58

Shakespeare's Sonnet 1: From Fairest Creatures We Desire Increase
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From fairest creatures we desire increase,
    That thereby beauty's rose might never die,
    But as the riper should by time decrease,
    His tender heir mught bear his memeory:
    But thou, contracted to thine own bright eyes,
    Feed'st thy light'st flame with self-substantial fuel,
    Making a famine where abundance lies,
    Thyself thy foe, to thy sweet self too cruel.
    Thou that art now the world's fresh ornament
    And only herald to the gaudy spring,
    Within thine own bud buriest thy content
    And, tender churl, makest waste in niggarding.
    Pity the world, or else this glutton be,
    To eat the world's due, by the grave and thee.

Sonnet 1: Translation to modern English

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We want all beautiful creatures to reproduce themselves so that beauty’s flower will not die out; but as an old man dies in time, he leaves a young heir to carry on his memory. But you, concerned only with your own beautiful eyes, feed the bright light of life with self-regarding fuel, making beauty shallow by your preoccupation with your looks. In this you are your own enemy, being cruel to yourself. You who are the world’s most beautiful ornament and the chief messenger of spring, are burying your gifts within yourself And, dear selfish one, because you decline to reproduce, you are actually wasting that beauty. Take pity on the world or else be the glutton who devours, with the grave, what belongs to the world.

3. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Yes, that's quite a good translation. I first saw it here  These translations are good as an introduction to the sonnets, but not as a substitute for them, of course.

4. karthu profile image58

Of course......
    THERE IS NOTHING AS A REPLACEMENT FOR SHAKESPEARE'S WORK

But this is good for a beginner to get a grip on his works........

5. Paraglider profile image88

Yes. If you're not used to the Elizabethan English, reading the modern prose can help, as a way in.

6. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I always find that going to see the play live helps a lot. Even if they use the old English, you seem to be able to understand it (if it is a decent production).

I guess that is because it was written to be performed rather than read?

7. karthu profile image58

Mark is right......It will be nice experience to watch it live...
    I never had chance to watch the live performance.....

8. Paraglider profile image88

I've been lucky in that respect, living in a theatre town and a short drive from Stratford on Avon (where the Royal Shakespeare Company is based). But compared to the sonnets, the plays are fairly straightforward, as far as language goes.

karthuposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Great..........I'm eager to see a drama of that kind...Don't know whether i get a chance to see that..

I think the sonnnets are meant not for reading for pleasure. You should think after reading every line.Even you get the meaning of that, there are thousands and thousands of hidden meanings. The more you get it the better your imagination skills...
      I guess IMAGIATION is not the word i should use....

9. Paraglider profile image88

That's right. Also, the sonnets have many themes running through the whole sequence, so while some stand alone as poems in their own right, the sequence is really the work. And people have been discussing and analysing it for centuries. Nice to meet a fellow appreciator!

karthuposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you..............Nice to meet you too...........

10. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

I've always liked Shakespeare, and was intrigued by the notion of translating the sonnet into modern prose.  But, not being able to leave well alone, I couldn't help having a go at writing a verse form in iambic pentameter.  I couldn't get it to rhyme at all, but I did have fun doing this, and learned a lot about the sonnet in the process.

From Fairest Creatures we desire increase
    Take 2
    Young, handsome men should always reproduce,
    So that the gene pool could retain good looks;
    So, as the aged wrinkle up and die,
    The young are left to carry on the line.
    But you, reflected in your own self-love,
    Consume yourself, devouring your own looks
    With hungry gaze that never sees enough
    Of your own beauty, thus your enemy.
    You, who now are handsome as a bloom
    That indicates sweet spring is on the way,
    Hide your gifts beneath your outward show
    And, craven boy, waste youth by being -- good.
    Pity the world, or else go cast your seed
    On sterile ground, instead of sown wild oats.

Nah -- not going to win any prizes; but a fun exercise!  Anyone else want to have a go at Sonnet 116 (Let me not to the marriage of true minds)?

11. ArtSiren profile image61
    ArtSirenposted 15 years ago

Well I enjoyed it Teresa! When I read the thread header, I thought it was going to be a translation into modern English - and remain a sonnet rather than prose. So nice to have both the prose and your poem.

Brave though - to get the meaning into modern English AND retain the rhyme and iambic pentameter, a fairly impossible task. So on that basis I'll decline your invitation for Sonnet 116. lol.

12. Paraglider profile image88

Good one Teresa. I wonder if you've come across this site, where you'd be most welcome-

http://thesonnetboard.yuku.com/

(Despite the .com, it is a good place_

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
      Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh, thank you! -- looks great, and I am about to disappear into sonnetworld. . .

bye!

13. solarcaptain profile image60
    solarcaptainposted 15 years ago

shakespeare in modern English......Why?  Would you use Tony Curtis as the narrator?
    I jest, of course. Many great works have been translated into modern versions with great success and I'm willing to check it out.  I think it's a good jumping off point and that's what ama goonadoo.
    thanks for the post.  All my creative juices are flowing now, and I love your picture. You look like someone who has mediated between fun and serious. fun has won out. Good for you,.Teresa Mcgurk.

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
      Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dang, Solarcaptain -- how'd you know I am channeling Julie Andrews and Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

But on the topic -- I found a version of Petrarch's S’amor non è, che dunque è quel ch’io sento? which had been translated by Chaucer (not as a sonnet, nor exactly following Petrarch that closely).  Many poets have translated it since then, and over centuries we can gauge how English -- and our perceptions of the topic -- have changed.  It's fascinating.  I tried my hand at it, too, just to bring it into my decade.  I'll probably end up writing a hub on it, but here's Petrarch's version and Chaucer's translation:

S'amor non è, che dunque è quel ch'io sento?

Ma s'egli è amor, perdio, che cosa et quale?

Se bona, onde l'effecto aspro mortale?

Se ria, onde sí dolce ogni tormento?

S'a mia voglia ardo, onde 'l pianto e lamento?

S'a mal mio grado, il lamentar che vale?

O viva morte, o dilectoso male,

come puoi tanto in me, s'io no 'l consento?

Et s'io 'l consento, a gran torto mi doglio.

Fra sí contrari vènti in frale barca

mi trovo in alto mar senza governo,

sí lieve di saver, d'error sí carca

ch'i' medesmo non so quel ch'io mi voglio,

et tremo a mezza state, ardendo il verno.

Chaucer-- (it's in Troilus and Criseyde):
      "If no loue is, O god, what fele I so?
      401: And if loue is, what thing and which is he?
      402: If loue be good, from whennes cometh my woo?
      403: If it be wikke, a wonder thynketh me,
      404: Whenne euery torment and aduersite
      405: That cometh of hym may to me sauory thinke,
      406: ffor ay thurst I the more that ich it drynke.

407: "And if that at myn owen lust I brenne,
      408: ffrom whennes cometh may waillynge and my pleynte?
      409: If harme a-gree me, wherto pleyne I thenne?
      410: I noot, ne whi vn-wery that I feynte.
      411: O quike deth, O swete harm so queynte,
      412: How may of the in me swich quantite,
      413: But if that I consente that it be?

414: "And if that I consente, I wrongfully
      415: Compleyne, i-wis; thus possed to and fro,
      416: Al sterelees with-inne a boot am I
      417: Amydde the see, bitwixen wyndes two,
      418: That inne contrarie stonden euere mo.
      419: Allas, what is this wondre maladie?
      420: ffor hete of cold, for cold of hete, I dye."

I guess I should list all the translations I can find -- but it intrigues me that the same poem can live differently in different times --

14. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

How about this:

Shakespeare in Klingon:

Sonnet #18 -- "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?"

qaDelmeH bov tuj pem vIlo'choHQo'.
    SoH 'IH 'ej belmoH law', 'oH belmoH puS.
    jar vagh tIpuq DIHo'bogh Sang SuS ro'.
    'ej ratlhtaHmeH bov tuj leSpoH luvuS.

rut tujqu' bochtaHvIS chal mIn Dun qu' .
    rut DotlhDaj SuD wov HurghmoHmeH, HuvHa'.
    'ej reH Hoch 'IHvo' Sab Hoch 'IH, net tu'.
    'u' He choHmo', San jochmo' joq quvHa'.

'ach not wovHa'choH jubbogh bovlIj tuj,
    'ej not ghomHa'choH Hochvetlh 'IH Daghajbogh,
    'ej "QIbwIjDaq bIleng" not mIy Hegh nuj,
    bovmey DaDontaHvIS, DojwI' nIHajbogh!

tlhuHlaH 'ej legh, wej 'e' lumevchugh nuv,
    vaj yIntaH bomvam, 'ej DuyInmoH quv.

Translated by Nick Nicholas. KLI, 1994.

15. alekhouse profile image73
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

I'm so excited to find so many people interested in Shakespeare. I go to the festival in Stratford every October. It's wonderful, with some of the finest Shakepearean actors. My favorite sonnet in #18. His sonnets were written in iambic pentameter, which means 5 iams per line. An iam in a combination of a weak followed by a strong beat. Following is my last attempt at iambic pentameter:

FALLING IN LOVE AGAIN

I'd crept into the deepest darkest place,
    Where life and love no longer saw my face.
    My heart was cold, my very soul was dead.
    My only solace, memories in my head.

You came to me and caught me unaware,
    And unprepared, I fell into your lair.
    I struggled as you crawled into my mind,
    Afraid of what your loving me might find.

And as I stayed resistant to your touch
    You never turned away, instead t'was such
    an oh so gentle nudging at my soul
    that woke me with your ever sweet cajole

'Til finally I melted in your arms
    Unfolding as a child would, free from harm.
    I gave myself completely, so beguiled.
    A whole new world had opened when you smiled.   

http://hubpages.com/hub/httpwwwOpeninguptolovecom

1. Pamda Man profile image60
      Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought a Shakespearean sonnet was three quatrains and a couplet. 14 lines. Every line had a meter of iambic pentameter and rhymes.

It actually is quite good. But if you could cut 2 lines out, then it would be a very good Shakespearean sonnet.

1. Paraglider profile image88
        Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To be fair, I think Alekhouse was writing an exercise in Iambic Pentameter, not intended to be a sonnet. Her poem is in couplets throughout, while the Shakespearean sonnet is in abab quatrains with a final couplet.

1. alekhouse profile image73
          alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you're absolutely right

2. alekhouse profile image73

Pandaman, Yes, you're right of course. I wasn't really trying to write a "Shakespearean Sonnet" This an "Alekhouse Sonnet" smile. But now that you mention it, could I just take out the last two lines in or to make it a Shakespearean Sonnet? I think it would still make sense. What do you think?

1. Pamda Man profile image60
          Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, the poem still retains its meaning if you delete the last 2 lines. You could make 2 versions of the poem perhaps. big_smile

16. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

You've got the IP going fine. (but check out Stanza 3 Line 3 - it's short of a foot)

Used to go to Stratford a lot when I lived in Evesham. But it's a bit far from Doha wink

1. alekhouse profile image73

Hey PG, you're right. Thanks. I'll change it to:
      "...an oh so gentle nudging at my soul." How's that?

17. alekhouse profile image73
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

Hey! where did everybody go? Did I say something wrong?

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not even slightly. I think we all ended up writing limericks wink

18. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

This is great I love Shakespeare too! In fact I wrote my second hub for the hub challenge about him yesterday. It's called the brilliant bard. I wanted to write a few things about him that people may not have known, his body of work really is incredible and I love the old English language.

19. Pamda Man profile image60
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Yes, but in Shakespearean sonnet, 3 quatrains + 1 couplet > Iambic pentameter > ababcdcdefefgg rhyme scheme.

20. Pamda Man profile image60
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Mind if you take a look at my Shakespearean sonnet minus the meter (I haven't got the nerves to do it) http://hubpages.com/hub/To-Humanity lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)