Can't sleep, ugh

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

It's about 3:30 AM here and I was just lying awake in bed so I got up. Spent the day with my oldest daughter yesterday who lives two hours away. She had recent knee surgery and needed help but my partner Bill is still sick too so I had to get back here after about 12 hours. Even the dog has been sick! (The dog is finally doing better.)

For the past month it's just been one health issue after another here. I'm exhausted but can't sleep. I think it's just too much worry for too long at this point. It's hard to put away.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like adrenalin is keeping you awake... when everyone's health issues are resolved, then you'll crash out and be able to catch up on your sleep.

On the occasions when I have trouble dropping off, I find two things are helpful: (a) having warm feet, and (b) putting a couple of drops of lavender oil on my pillow.  But I suspect that in your case, it would take more than a bit of lavender at the moment!

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I suspect you are right. When everyone is finally well, I will probably sleep like the dead. smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You too? I had a post like that at 12:30am smile

3. Hope Wilbanks profile image67
      Hope Wilbanksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel your pain. I went about five days last week with very little (to no) sleep at night. I had to force myself to take naps during the day because I was physically and mentally exhausted.

Be good to yourself. Have you tried meditating to release some of your anxious thoughts? Or yoga? I have a yoga for stress relief DVD and it is awesome to help me relax when I'm really wound up. (Hello, Hope...why didn't you do yoga last week?!)

I hope you get back to your sleep--and rest--soon!

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HUGS for you, hope you can sleep better soon, you  need to eat though..

2. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Hugs, PG smile most likely cuz as much as you want to help you can't so must stand aside n wait it out. Do you think guys are like that with birth? hmm tongue lol...sorry , just went off topic.

3. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

?!?
    epidemic insomnia on hubpages... a few hours ago we had "cannot sleep" thread, couldn't sleep all night...

1. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sleep is only one of many activities one can do in bed! smile

4. Amanda Severn profile image95
    Amanda Severnposted 14 years ago

Hi Pam, I've been up two hours. It's 8.24am here. I just saw the kids off to school and I'm having five minutes 'me' time before I crack on with the day. Sorry to hear that your family is still in the doldrums health-wise. I hope they'll all be back on top form soon. Take care. Mandy x

5. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

But sleep I must.  A long day ahead of me.

6. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Hi guys. Thanks. Yeah, I think it is that feeling of just standing on the sidelines while other people suffer. Plus, it's actually been a lot of work for me personally, and yet you don't see results because it isn't like painting a room or something.

I should write something while I'm up. Something besides, "I can't sleep."

7. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

This is what alcohol was invented for. wink

Shocked me the first time I was in a dry county in the US. The first question I asked was, "how do you people get to sleep?" lol

1. profile image0

Ah, love the stuff! Drank enough for six people by the time I was 40. Haven't had a drop of it for eight years. Wish I could. By the time I quit drinking, I could not get a buzz, let alone get drunk. I never want to experience that again. Worst feeling in the world, seriously,yikes

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah. Fair enough. Just quit smoking myself and did not kill anyone yet. Always managed to keep the alcohol input at "just enough to get you to sleep."

1. profile image0
          seasoningposted 14 years agoin reply to this
        2. profile image0

Yet...lol!

8. profile image0
    seasoningposted 14 years ago

So you have been there done that...... the good thing is now when we can't sleep we can be united with like minded friends.

Nothing as draining as caring for sick family members.  Reward yourself, could you take yourself out today and buy yourself a little treat

1. profile image0

Maybe--It depends on if another surgery is on the immediate horizon. But after that I'm going to see The Fourth Kind, alone, with popcorn. smile

9. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Happens to me all the time.  I have delayed sleep phase syndrome and sometimes my clock gets turned 'upside down', with me staying up all night and going to bed at 8 or 10 a.m.

Visit your health food store and get some skullcap or lemon balm.  I have tried each recently.  Both have worked very well for me, but it took a couple of days of taking it at bedtime to kick in. Then I was able to go to sleep at "normal people" hours.

10. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Pam, it probably is worry.  I don't sleep well when my kids or hubby are sick, or a lot is on my plate.

Try to nap a bit today...let worry go (as much as any mom can).

11. The Rope profile image59
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Pam,  I am very aware of the needs of the sick vs the no sleep syndrome and the circle mindset.  Break out of it, take $25. and go wander a store for a couple of hours, smile at other shoppers, listen to the banter of those around you...it reconnects you with the world that is not immersed in medical needs.  And make absolutely sure you are eating - it can be light (salads and such) but make sure you are getting enough protein - it will make all the difference.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)