How should you market multiple artistic talents?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

I have had many opinions outside of HubPages on this matter. My dilemma is this- I have 11/12 years of experience as a professional photographer. I’ve worked for corporations as well as been a freelance photographer. I have also worked as a graphic artist for both corporations and as a freelance artist. I’ve been employed as a copywriter; I have also designed and created jewelry as well as apparel for individuals... How should I be presenting myself? Should I focus in the area I have the most professional experience? Should I completely discard any talent that I have not been able to apply to a position within a company? Should you have a separate portfolio for each area of ability?

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a portfolio of design and a portfolio of writing.
      I use them to make a third portfolio of things I have both designed and written at the same time.

I don't think you should discard any talents. They may not be appropriate to the position, but including them in a small way would show you are versatile.

Little details like that can make a difference when there are multiple applicants to a position. I take those little details into account when I have two resumes to pick from, and both applicants have the same experience in the field. smile

1. H.C Porter profile image81
        H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you for your insight.  big_smile

2. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure that graphic design and photography could and should  be combined under one umbrella as they are really similar and so any marketing possibilities you should link the two, your copywriting skills should be used to support your main key skills and really sell yourself as a graphic artist.

And I would have two separate portfolios, one for photography and one for your graphic design work, especially if you are wanting to apply for these jobs separately as a freelancer again, and if you have't already, an online portfolio is a good one to have too.

3. profile image53
      LMScottposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The old adage never put all your eggs in one basket is still sound.

The well established world of journalism is fast changing and we are now well into the age of electronic papers, books and even mail.

My advice is to take a good look at all propects in this area and add input to your already impressive qualifictions,it looks as if you may have both talent and qualifications for such a venture.

Best wishes.
      H.

4. Robert Kernodle profile image79
      Robert Kernodleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you are asking how should you present yourself for a hired position, then I would say focus on the job description that you are interested in, and play up your applicable skills in THAT particular position. 

If you are asking how to write your resume, then I suggest that you write several different resume's targeted slightly differently to different positions.  You might have the same skills listed on each, but the primary objective on each resume' would be different and targeted for THAT specific job or interest.

You do NOT want to overload or confuse somebody who is looking for a particular person to fill a particular position.  Again, if you are going after a known opening of a given job, skew the presentation of your talents specifically towards that given job, and list your other talents as "other skills" or something.

5. Ben Zoltak profile image82
      Ben Zoltakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I've found the answer to your dilemma HC.  Buy some throwing knives, write down each of the various hats you wear and stick one label to each knife: photographer, writer, graphic designer, jeweler. Now take these four knives and throw them at a target in your backyard, whichever is closest to the bulls eye, shazzam! Career change! I hope that helps, that's what I did. Be careful of the knives they're sharp...ouch.

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're applying for jobs, then you should have three separate resumes.  Tailor each resume to strongly emphasise one skill set.  It's worth mentioning the other portfolios but don't overdo it.

When you write your cover letter, be sure to say "I enclose a resume setting out my relevant experience" (the word relevant is important).

You could do the same thing here on HubPages - create three accounts, one for each portfolio.  Or you could stick with one account and create Hubs that showcase all three talents, by including your own photos and illustrations in well-written Hubs.

2. drej2522 profile image69
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

I say open up your own business! Try to team up with someone who has some 'business savvy' and boom! There you go! See, simple. smile

3. Blogging Erika profile image66
    Blogging Erikaposted 14 years ago

You'll definitely want to tailor yourself to whatever you're applying for.  So for example if you're on a photography forum, you would emphasize your photography experience. 

You can always mention "oh and I do a bit of graphic design as well." But honestly I have found that people are easily confused, and it's best to keep things simple. 

I would stick to, "I'm a professional photographer."  For a graphic design job, I'd go with "I'm a professional graphic artist."  And so forth.

If you're specifically talking about resumes, typically there's a bit at the bottom where you can list "other interests."  That's a good catch-all for all the interesting things that make you, you!

4. Ben Zoltak profile image82
    Ben Zoltakposted 14 years ago

I've been working solo on my painting and my writing for a few months now but the bills are piling up. I've noticed a lot of "team up" replies on this forum.  Essentially that's what I'm trying to do recently, I applied and am about to goto the second interview for a graphics production company. They have a great work philosophy i. e. really laid back. I just hope it doesn't topple my creative side...

5. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

You can't be everything all at once that's the trouble. So tailor to particular needs.

6. profile image52
    ladybugsflies123posted 14 years ago

I think you should go on your intuition and where your heart and talent leads you. If finances are low get a part time job that does not stiffle your talent. I say if your talent makes you happy then keep growing wherever you feel like growing and wherever your talent leads you. Of course us your good judgement.

1. Ben Zoltak profile image82
      Ben Zoltakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like this philospophy, it's close to my own. I've heard it said that, "You have to do what you have to until you can do what you want to".

7. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

I say you need 3 portfolios - 1 for photography, 1 for graphic design and 1 for writing. As was said before, the others can be put on a resume or application in the appropriate places. Never throw away a talent, just save one for a rainy day. smile Good luck!

8. spiritactor profile image59
    spiritactorposted 14 years ago

It sounds like you might be seen as valuable to a publisher or to BE a publisher and continue your skills in a directorial capacity.

And I too believe in NEVER discarding any talent. If you keep creating with as many as possible, it may become clear to you which one speaks to your future and focus on that one. Think of each talent singly and gauge the level of passion, satisfaction and electricity each gives you. Sometimes your talents can surprise you with an answer.

Best wishes!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)