Let's make a promise to each other!

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (40 posts)
  1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I was inspired by Soonerthanlater's post, along with one of the other discussions from last night. Let's all vow to do something this month to help someone - one thing. Promise!

"I cross my heart and vow by the mighty HP to..."

Provide Christmas for a single mother and her two young children. I've already started.

Your turn!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I promise to continue feeding the children around here in my area every weekend till New year...

2. h.a.borcich profile image59
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Habee,

Very cool idea! When I figure out my promise I will post it:)
      Holly

3. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Hi habee !
    I pass. I never make promises !

Good luck ! smile

4. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

h.a. - Your name is Holly? So is mine! Only mine is spelled Holle.

Hi, Tantrum. At least you're honest!

5. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Great, PDH!

6. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

C'mon, hubbers! Join in "the cause"!

7. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Habee, I wish I could. Usually by this time of year I have already selected a family to help but this year I'm just trying to keep my own afloat.

8. sooner than later profile image60
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

I promise not to waste anymore of God's time arguing with what I might call morons.

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i second that emotion

1. Bovine Currency profile image61
        Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very Christian

9. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I understand, Lynne. Maybe you could just visit a lonely person? Sometimes time is more important than money or "things."

Hope 2010 is better for you!

1. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! It is going to be a great year. I just have a feeling. You are right I could visit. If nothing else, I will try to get out and do that before the year is out and next year I am striving make some changes that will have a positive impact not only on my life but everyone around me.

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If everyone on the planet "paid it forward" this whole next year, who would give a ratz azz about the recession?? We would reverse the whole mentality of scarcity and create a new kind of wealth and wellness.

Let 2010 be the year of paying it forward, says I.
        smile

10. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I have a terrific friend who has a substance abuse problem. I made a commitment to be his support, not enable him, and be his unjudgmental best friend. I've been through this before with a daughter and an exwife. It's hell, but in my daughter's case, it was so worth the effort and love involved. There is a lot to this, but I believe I can do it, having gone through it before. But the bulk of the work is still on his shoulders.

My commitment is to be the support this friend needs to get his life back and get back to his life goals, which are pretty close to materializing. He is a film/TV producer.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

he is lucky. you are too, in that he is (I hope?) willing to accpet this. I have a very very very dear freind I have had to cut out of my life as she is unwilling to admit she has a problem, and it resulted in my family and chidlren being at risk through association with her...it is hard...good luck to you!!

My second exwife was always in denial also, even though there were 15 trips to ER in one year. Go figure. However, my daughter and my friend both acknowledged they have a problem, and wanted to overcome it more than anything. Because of this, I know my friend will be successful. My daughter has been off heroin and alcohol abuse for almost 4 years.

But you're right, if they stay in denial, there isn't anything you can do but cut them off. Hopefully this won't happen in this case.

11. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

That's wonderful, Daniel!

12. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Help me. I don't want to do jury duty next week. Please? Then I can help others.

Oh, amigo, that's just not fun at all. My advice is to throwup during jury selection and talk a lot about flu symptoms. Let us know how it goes.

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a whole month of it facing me. The worst time of year to boot. I would love to do it, but just not now. Maybe I'll get lucky and get it over with the first week, once served you are released. Or maybe they just won't like me at all for peeing on the floor when I need to be excused as I am on a diuretic and need to pee a lot. Like every five minutes from 8am til 10 am. I have to be there at 8.30am on the 7th. LOL

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Errrr..... I just published a hub on this topic. Thats rather coincidental! But you will find your answers there ralwus.

3. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here's how I got out of it....and mine was a murder trial which would have taken forever.  I indicated I was self employed and taking the time off would be detrimental to my job.  I called the clerk and asked what alternatives I had. She said if I volunteered to do one Friday (and I got to choose) that I'd be off the hook.  She indicated that Friday was traffic court and usually everyone settled out of court.  Sure enough, everyone settled out of court and I was done with jury duty.

BUT One mistake I made was that I didn't show up on the first day of the murder trial so they put a warrant out for my arrest for skipping out.  Be sure to show up on the first day and then you can plead your case OR call the clerk before hand.

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tell them your a Jehovah's Witness...

4. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just do what I've done in the past.  Tell them that your Uncle was robbed and killed when you were a kid, and that you think that anyone that commits a crime should be hung in public. 

That usually will get you out of it.

13. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Charlie, I agree with the swine flu excuse!

Daniel, I LOVE your idea of "pay it forward" in 2010!

14. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I help hundreds of people everyday of my life. I spread my love and knowledge to others.

I'm presently helping a young lady to re-build her self-esteem and to help her realize that she has more to offer to society than she thinks she does.

I find it a great work(purpose) of my life to help those who don't understand Life's complexity.

Thank you Habee for posting this topic. It's a great thing to help out others and builds self-spirituality in the admist of anger, depression, stress and who knows what else there is going on.

The system we call "Life" isn't understood by many and those who do understand....at least half of them are only interested in themselves, which leaves the other half to help. It's a pathetic world we live in, but if no one steps forward to help, then nothing can improve.

HI CAGS, how can you help you are not a person right? JK< how are you?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am fine, thank you for asking. big_smile

thats good you are fine, and is helping people, GREAT WORK<,,

You're a doll. Thank you. How are you today?

15. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

volunteer for the day to help build housing through HABITAT for the homeless.  Hammer required, nails and a glue stick.OH, Band-Aids too smile

Pay it forward people

16. Bovine Currency profile image61
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

I am a disability pensioner with 40 K debt sorry people, but I buy the big issue and that helps the homeless and they get half the purchase price smile   As for promises to christians nah no thanks

17. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I promise not to promise anything anymore big_smile

Promises are like rules. They are always broken for some reason or another. big_smile

18. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I know but it sounds good when you're saying them....big_smile

19. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I thank you all for your great suggestions, but I will do my duty Monday morning and see what transpires. I would like to do it and write a hub about my experience. I just don't know if I can right now with my health issues.
    Now for helping others Habee, I promise you I shall do my part as it is just in my nature and I do it all the time anyway. bless you all. CC

20. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Good post, Cags.

Bovine, this isn't a Christian movement - it's a HUMAN effort. Do you think only Christians should do good deeds? I know some very altruistic atheists.

1. Bovine Currency profile image61
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You lost me there love

21. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Good for you, Charlie! I'm not at all surprised.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)