how do you put a baby to sleep?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (44 posts)
  1. jasmine bernal profile image61
    jasmine bernalposted 14 years ago

i have a two month old son and he only likes to sleep as long as he is in mine or my husbands arms? we have tried all we canthink of . so wat do we do now

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my son hated being swaddled when he was a baby. he would fight until he was free from the blanket, so to keep his little feet warm, i put booties on his feet.

what i used to do when he was a baby would be to lay him in his crib, turn off the lights and turn on his little mobile, which had gentle colored lights, then get down on the floor and talk softly to him and rub his back. in five minutes he was out like a light! good luck.

2. spiderpam profile image73
      spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Soft music(classical violins and other strings), and a blanket, wash the sheets with a lavender scent(unless allergic). always whisper, lots of hugs before you put them down, No TV.

3. profile image55
      Dinah Leeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried reading to your son? I know he's very young, but it has a positive impact, the warmth of your voice is amazing. Also, Classical Music, is very soothing to a little one, I played mostly Beethoven for my son when he was that young, and he grew up to be a musician, I read to him in the cradle, and he read his 1st book when he was three years old! Benjamin was a difficult child, but I believe it was because, he needed positive stimulation. Stimulated with books and music, he slept peacefully. You probably have a very special child, I know my son is...he has a tested IQ of 149! Make your baby warm and comfortable and read to him....I hope this helps....

4. profile image0
      tequilarosemama4posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hello, i know not everyones methods work for all but here are a few things i have tried with my youngest son he was colicky from day one and very hard to get to sleep. have you tried a soothing bath before bedtime? use johnsons baby wash and lotion with the lavender and chamolie scent helps to sooth the baby if they are fussy and overly tired. also trie a gentl massage with warm lotion from your hands also helps to calm fussy or overly tired babies. something else that worked was swaddling the baby in a familiar blanket that had your scent on it but was soft material like fleece. my son like to feel like he was snug so i used on of them positioners. i'd put a wedge on each side of him while he was swaddled in his faviorate blanket. there were even times where i had to revert tosleeping in the living room recliner just to get some sleep with him. or taking hm for car rides around the block until he was asleep then carefully taking him into the house to his bed. i hope some of these sugesstions help you. hang in there it should get easier. hope you have ablessed day

5. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the phrasing of this question is a bit unfortunate

6. sooner than later profile image60
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

make sure the car is warm and take em for a bumpy drive. my kids used to konk out.

7. Diskobolos profile image58
      Diskobolosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Vodka.smile

8. monkebusiness13 profile image58
      monkebusiness13posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried swaddling? My daughter won't sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time without being swaddled. Let me see if I can explain it. You take a blanket and lay it out. Take the top left hand corner and fold it to look like an upside-down triangle (only fold that corner down halfway, to the center of the blanket). Lay the baby down in the center of the triangle with the baby's neck even with the top part of the upside-down triangle. Take the baby's left arm and tuck it in underneath the upside-down triangle. Then pull that part across the baby's body and tuck it underneath. Take the bottom and pull it upward, tucking it in the same place. Take the right arm and tuck it just like the left arm. Tighten the bottom part, then pull the right side over the baby's body and put it behind her. I'm really bad with directions, so feel free to message me back if that was confusing. Thanks to the swaddling, my baby has slept through the night since she was 3 weeks old.

1. double_frick profile image60
        double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

in the movie The Happiest Baby On The Block they rave about swaddling.

they say if you can learn to do it just right its like a baby off switch. i've seen it work like magic, though  i never did it myself. hmm
        i used to let my daughter co-sleep because she nursed and would absolutely not sleep or even be content anywhere but my arms, that lasted for well over 6 months! sad  i found that even though it was heartbreaking for me, a little crying wouldn't hurt her and would actually benefit her if it meant her gaining a little independence, wanted or not. ;P she's sleeping in her own crib now, and still (or NOW) happy as can be.

and for teething?
        chamomile tea. hylands even sells teething pellets? something like that...safe, natural and calming. smile
        badgers balm also has a sleepy time balm for babies that uses aromatherapy to help induce sleep and calm, works like a 'dream' lol

9. brethodge profile image40
      brethodgeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First of all congrats for the baby.. secondly if you ask that how could you make your baby sleep... its too too tough.. hahaha.. babies can't sleep slone they need someone or the other to sleep.. I have no idea but I have heard somewhere that whatever way you teach them they sleep that way..

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Have you tried wrapping your son in a warm blanket so that he feels like he is in your arms? I don't have a child but that is what I've heard from others.

3. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Get the blanket and wrap the baby up tightly.  This makes them feel secure like being in the womb.

Hope this helps and good luck! x

1. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like sheep's wool big_smile

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

nothing smells so nice and Lanolin .. comfy comfy.. cosy cosy x

1. profile image0

Hmmm, Lanolin.....brings back memories.. big_smile

1. profile image0

denno is a wolf in sheeps clothing!  ooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwoooooo! *my attempt at howling* hehehe

1. profile image0

With practice you will achieve wolfosity. big_smile

1. profile image0

Im not a pack member, Im afraid.  Im a bit of a solitary type x

4. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Have you tried using a swing?

What about placing him on his tummy? -I know pediatricians do not usually recommend this, but if he can lift his head when laying on his tummy, he will be fine.  It is the only way two of my boys would sleep, if they were out of my arms. 

Try a little neck pillow for him, like a rolled up washcloth, if his head tends to roll back over your arm while he sleeps.

Have you tried one of those heart beat toys they make for babies, that sound like a person? 

Do you wash his laundry (blankets and sheet especially) with the same detergent/fabric softener that you wash your clothes with?  It could be the smell. -If you are concerned about how you wash his stuff, try sleeping with it for a night or two, to impart your smell.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

You may want to re-phrase your question.

6. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

You can try rocking him to sleep and then putting him in his crib/bassinette.  Cossette's suggestions are very similar to what mine would be... soft music, low light and  alittle tummy rub never hurt any child's chances of sleep.  Some people say you should always put a baby in the crib "sleepy, but awake" so they learn early to put themselves to sleep.  I was never able to manage this with my guys. 

With both my sons we eventually had to use a very mild version of the "cry it out" method.  Which, I know sparks all kinds of argument for and against. I couldn't bear to let them cry, so I would only do it for 5 or 10 minutes at a time.  And, we didn't start that young, but I can't remember when.  They were just too tiny for me to be o.k. with it.  But, once we did start when they were older, we found that both kids needed that "unwind" time.  After 5 minutes of tears, they'd be out like a light. After a few days, the time got shorter and shorter until they were comfortable going to sleep. Even now that my eldest is 4 1/2, I find he runs around like a madman for about 10minutes before we do quiet story and bedtime.

My youngest is much more stubborn, and just hated being left in his room.  So, we sort of "practiced" going to sleep on his own.  I would turn out the light and put him in his crib, but I wouldn't leave, I'd sit in a rocking chair right next to his crib until he quieted down and was almost asleep.  I tried to stay shorter and shorter each time.  But, again, this is when he was about 10months old.

Mostly, just hang in there.  I found 2 months to be the most difficult period with both of my babies.  Things haven't really started to upswing yet (they still aren't sleeping much, haven't done much smiling yet) but you have 8 weeks of built up new parent stress.  Give it another week or few weeks, and it will get better!!! The baby will start to sleep more believe it or not, and will start to smile and interact a little more.

They are amazing little gifts, but SO much work and stress too.  We tend not to talk about that part, and, I think new parents feel so alone sometimes.  You aren't the first person to feel like you would trade your whole life for a nap! But, its so worth it... and once it starts to get better, it never stops!!!

7. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

What kind of question is that?  You put animals to sleep, not babies!  Where do you people come from?

8. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Give a warm soothing bath, little baby massage with some baby lotion, then in a warm comfy onesie and wrapped in a small soft blanket. A dark cool room is perfect for the crib.

Routine is pretty important, naps, feedings etc. so that when it is time for bed baby is really sleepy and it isn't a problem.

Either a car ride, oscillating chair, or mom's arms can work if nothing else does. But as soon as baby is sleepy into the crib smile

I heard lavender is a bit iffy for boys, but ask your pediatrician.

9. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

My oldest son was colicky also, the only thing that worked was the swing.

He spent his first four months sleeping in a battery operated swing.

10. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

While a child is still in the "In Arm Phase", up to about 12 months the child wants is to be held close to its mother while it is going to sleep. You can trick the child by swaddling him or using mechanised swings, or taking him for a car ride but really, nothing beats normal, natural motherlove and the right ambience: low lights, no sound or only soft music. Once the child haf fallen asleep in its mother's arms it's OK to put him or her down in a cot but it has to be done in a very skilled way or the child wakes up and you're back to square one. It takes a lot of practice to put a child down when it has just fallen asleep. You have to do it extremely slowly, keeping the baby's body supported in the places where your arms were holding it whyle sticking to the rhythm of your own heart beat and staying in light contact with the sleeping child until you notice that he or she is falling into a much deeper sleep. Yep, it takes time and patience, but then those early years are so soon gone, you might as well give it your all for the sake of avoiding future problems.

What always baffles me is: We need a driving license to drive a car yet anyone can have a child without any form of training whatsoever.

11. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

when he was a baby, i used to put on a Pachelbel CD and rub my son's back until he fell asleep if he was colicky, fussy or sick.

to this day, he loves that song.

12. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

that's a new experience for me hmm all my kids always fell and stayed asleep, once done eating smile always had probs tryin to get them to burp before lettin them go back to sleep at that age.

13. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

one time my son was eating dinner...he was about 8 months or so..he had a plate of spaghetti and he was in his high chair nodding off, and fell asleep and he had a face full of spaghetti yikes

poor little guy. it was so cute though. smile

1. Sue Adams profile image94
      Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My son did eaxtly the same. Sitting in his high chair, he fell asleep into his baked beans.

14. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Since a mallet is out of the question, there's a good idea that we used to use and it was a massive teddy that we used to substitute for us with our daughter when she was 3 and a half months old, we used to prop it up right in the corner of the room and she used to fall asleep from there and then we carried her into her cot later on!

15. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

My oldest was colicky for two days.  My odlest daughter now has a son who as yours didn't go to sleep right away and wanted held all the time.  Leave the bay in his room and walk away.  He will eventually go to sleep.  It sounds bad, but that is what you have to do.  He is training you to do whatever he wants when he wants you to.  It works,  I had a pediatrician tell me that with my youngest.  The first time she cried for an hour, but after a week she was sleeping on her own and through the night.  It is heart wrenching to here your child cry for so long, but if there is no medical conditon they have --they are training you.

16. efeguy profile image41
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

sing for him/her

read some poems or tales for him/her

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

dope would help, too smile

1. Diskobolos profile image58
      Diskobolosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah that's also fine, just don't mix both.smile

2. Sue Adams profile image94
      Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A Welsh peasant recommended a sugar lump drenched in Scotch for teething problems. No wonder there are so many alcoholics!

18. profile image48
    archi123posted 14 years ago

1) Go for drive with your baby

2) give massage to baby before go to sleep.

3) Make baby bed very comfortable so he can feel snug. you can do bye taking baby feather bed, down pillow, down comforters. Make sure that all these thing are very soft because skin of baby is very sensitive.

19. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Are you usually very quiet during the day when your baby is taking a nap? I see a lot of people suggesting being as quiet as possible, soothing, etc., but I got a bit of advice from someone that worked really well with my son. Babies will sleep regardless of their surroundings once they get tired enough, and if they're used to noise they will sleep through it just fine. During the day my son went to sleep to Metallica and sometimes even the vacuum...though the flip side is that then I had to leave some kind of music on for him at night too because he wasn't used to sleeping in the quiet.

I was lucky in that my son slept good pretty early on, but whenever he wasn't feeling well (sick or teething) he had a bit more trouble. I'd lay him in his crib with his favorite soft blanket and rub his tummy, skin-to-skin, until he dozed off. When he had a little bit of light in the room he tended to do better because he could watch the things around him and so stay occupied until he fell asleep. It also worked well to use a single finger and stroke his face -- across his forehead, down his nose, across his cheeks -- and he would fall asleep pretty fast because of the rhythm and his tendency to close his eyes every time my finger passed anywhere near them...within five or ten minutes, sometimes less, he'd close his eyes and not open them again.

20. w_elizabeth profile image60
    w_elizabethposted 14 years ago

Putting a baby to sleep sometimes can be a little bit hard especially if the baby is quite hard to please. But for me, I guess the best way to put a baby to sleep is giving him/her a quiet and comfortable environment.There should have enough ventilation and warmness.

21. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

The little baby I used to babysit used to be like that as well. What we did was have White Noise in the background. White Noise reminds a baby of being in the mother's womb and, although it's annoying to us, it can be quite soothing to a baby.

Some ways to make White Noise are vacuuming in the next room after you've laid your baby down, finding static on a radio or television and playing it softly in the baby's room, or placing the baby in a car seat while sitting on top of the washing machine or dryer.

1. w_elizabeth profile image60
      w_elizabethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh white noise...sounds cool...

22. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Well now if that ain't a hell of a question. Get rid of the effin milk and give him scotch woman.

1. _cheryl_ profile image82
      _cheryl_posted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

23. _cheryl_ profile image82
    _cheryl_posted 14 years ago

Try putting one of your pillow cases or worn t-shirts nearby when putting him/her down. Sometimes babies can feel comforted by your scent as well as being swaddled. My son slept better about that age when we laid my husband's shirt in his crib (not close to his face of course). Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)