Amanda Knox Found Guilty in Italy

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (62 posts)
  1. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

American student Amanda Knox was found guilty of murder in Italy and sentenced to 26 years in prison.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8394750.stm

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

wow.

will she be in an Italian prison or in America?

i have to wonder what kind of "sex game" involves throat-slitting.

neutral

wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do believe Italy . . freaks me out a little tonight. . my daughter is in Milano as a student this semester. .so happy she is coming home next week!

1. profile image0
        cathinfranceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Speaking from France, people in Europe were kind of freaked out at the idea of a young American killing a flatmate and falsely accusing an innocent bar owner and father of four. I have no more idea than anyone else what happened that night but there's been talk of the Italians being anti-American and that just wasn't a factor here really. They also jailed an African and an Italian, so nationality doesn't come into it.

Your daughter's biggest risk in Milan, frankly, is getting into debt in the clothes shops!

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

oh no. I just read a book about the guy who prosecuted her and what a terrible man he is. He is under indictment himself.

I honestly don't know if she's guilty or not, but the process that was followed was quite bad.

She will be in an Italian jail.

and from what I heard her sentence is quite excessive....I pray for her and her parents...what a nightmare.

1. alexandriaruthk profile image61
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

nightmare really 26 years

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it will be appealed~ the prosecution is shoddy with no real dna evidence that proves beyond reasonable doubt. she is sentenced to 25 years, which in Italy is a life sentence and both her and the Italian guy are fined over a million dollars. he was sentenced to 25 years.  at least in america, you're innocent until proven guilty. over there you're guilty until proven innocent.  we're going to be hearing alot about this one.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

oops, she is sentenced to 26 years.

2. profile image0
          ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but thats just not true, at least not since 1989. Italy has been following an American model since that year and is similar to most central European court systems, Italy is well known to breed some of the worlds best lawyers these days.... although I do believe that her conviction is weak. The appeal system will win through.....

it was a sarcastic statement, Ryan.  I wasn't stating a fact.
            this particular prosecution sounds sloppy, prejudiced. I'm not saying they're innocent, I don't know, but if guilty, there has to be evidence proven beyond any reasonable doubt.

1. profile image0

I have to say that the conviction of Knox does sound weak, but she has the right to appeal. It reminds we of the Louise Woodward case, us Brits were slamming the American legal system then, and she spent time in jail as an innocent! It happens in every country.....

3. Paraglider profile image88
          Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What an astonishing thing to say.

1. profile image0

A stupidly ignorant thing to say at very least.... I picked up on that one too.

3. Don W profile image84
        Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you think 26 years in jail for slitting a woman's throat is excessive if she is guilty? I wonder if Meredith Kercher's parents think so.

I was surprised to hear a life sentence is 26 years. 26 years is a light sentence for committing murder.

1. profile image0

Pretty much the same in the UK. If the criminal is adjudged to remain a significant threat to society at the end of their sentence they can be held indefinitely by the state; I suspect it is the same in Italy.

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
              Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If a person is capable of slitting someone's throat in a 'sex game' should they ever be re-inflicted on society?

1. profile image0

Forgive me if I am wrong, but surely we all know that Knox did not physically slit the throat of Kercher? There are plently of examples of rehabilitated criminals, the killers of Jamie Bulger have been on the loose for years and haven't reoffended. The alternative is the death penalty, so we can see innocent people put to death on national television like America? No thanks.

1. tksensei profile image60
                  tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me? What are you talking about?

1. profile image0

Which particular bit would you like me to clarify?

4. Amanda Severn profile image94
        Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If she took the other girl's life in such a brutal manner, then the sentence is not excessive.

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was in Rome for a few days in March and it was all over the place then. I don't know, but I think karma is working all the way around. If Knox is guilty (likely that she is) and the prosecution is corrupt, they are probably all getting what they brought on to themselves. Don't mean to be heartless, but what happened was pure torture as well as murder.

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I get ya Daniel, if she was guilty then the sentence was actually quite light.

4. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

I've been following this and I also do not know if she is guilty of the crime.  26 years is a long time, I'm glad her parents are by her side. What happened to the boyfriend? Did he go on trial yet? I saw that a 2nd guy was also convicted and got 20 something years, but it wasn't Amandas boyfriend.  I truely hope the young lady who was murdered is getting her true justice and some crazed person isn't getting away with murder.  In any case alot of lives have been ruined.

1. pddm67 profile image59
      pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe the boyfriend got 25 years - at least according to my husband.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Especially the person who was murdered...

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you nuts? We should all be concerned with the convicted murderer! Why worry about those pesky victims always wanting justice.

2. wavegirl22 profile image47

I think it was Amandas roomate was a girl that was murdered. . either way so many lives ruined .. a tragedy all around

Her name was Meredith Kercher RIP

Boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito got 25 years in prison.

3. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Her boyfriend got 25 years . I find it a little odd that they found no DNA evidence of her in her roomates bedroom .

5. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Some of the American reporting in this case is a little biased, such as the sensationalism about how the Italian legal system is just not as fair as that of the US.  I am not Italian, but if I were I might be irritated to hear all those reports.  I am not taking sides in this case, but so much of the reporting is playing upon the poor American stuck in the Italian legal system.  What about the poor girl that was murdered, she will never breath again.  Amanda and her boyfriend received lighter sentences than they would have in a US court, and let us remember Italy does not have the death penalty.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where have you been?

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From what I've read there were lots of questions about her bahavior and it didn't look good. However prosecutorial misconduct regarding the evidence is a big possibility in this case. Other Americans who have dealt with this guy say he's crazy and incredibly unfair. I'm sorry I can't for the life of me remember the title of the book I just read about him. It was a library book so it's not lying around the house. (It was a major US author who ended up being interrogated by him and feared for his life. Maybe he was just trying to sell books though.)

Okday library to the rescue the author was Douglas Preston and the book was the Monster of Florence. Preston was there writing a murder mystery set in Florence when his run in with the prosecutor happened.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
          SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes the prosecutor sounds corrupt, but there is still a slant to the US reporting.  It is plain as day really.

sadly, that's the sensationalism of US media, I try to stick with PBS or BBC.

I especially like to read news items off the BBC website!

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

I saw a news snippet the other day and the reporter (American) was all sympathetic and actually said aloud, "She doesn't look like a killer." Really? What does a killer look like?
      Ted Bundy didn't look like a killer. Scott Peterson didn't look like a killer. Any number of people who are guilty as hell don't "look" like they would be capable of the crime.

I must say it does seem like the American media are playing this up as an "innocents locked up abroad" story. So I guess the moral is don't go to Europe to study so you won't be tempted to kill your roommate. Wasn't sure if adding a smiley to the end of this would make it more obvious I'm being totally sarcastic. Those of you who know me know I am...big_smile. MM

I am glad I am not the only one who saw this.  Thanks for confirming what I have been thinking for along time.

3. egiv profile image60
      egivposted 14 years ago

It's about time.

The fact that the trial went on this long is just a side-effect of the Italian process... everything in Italy is slow. In my opinion, she is clearly guilty and deserved more than what she got. All the American articles I read about it seemed to make her seem not that bad, yet the evidence in her defence was basically non-existent. As is it, if the Italian justice system works as it usually does, 26 years will become 10, for a person who slit the throat of an innocent university student. I was disgusted to see 'Free Amanda Knox' facebook groups...

4. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I watched a criminal psychologist who had studied Amanda Knox's diaries (the ones she wrote while in prison on remand)being interviewed on Sky News International this morning.
      He didn't have a lot of good to say about her, describing how self-obsessed she was among other things.
      His best quote has got to be when he described her as a 'gap-year Rose West'.
      If you don't remember Rose West, and what she and her husband Fred weres convicted of, its here:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_West

5. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years ago

She's an American; she was convicted before she ever made it to court.

1. egiv profile image60
        egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It has nothing to do with American or Italian. Three were found guilty, an Italian, American and a man from the Ivory Coast. The trial has been going on for over a year, and she's guilty as hell. Her alibi was (originally, before she changed her story about 3 times) she was too high on marijuana to remember exactly what happened...

2. Paraglider profile image88

Another astonishing thing to say.

6. profile image0

She's guilty because she was found to be guilty; never mind that the evidence was spotty at best.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She is guilty, thats it, but she can appeal it, let us just wait for it, what a waste because she is very young too

7. profile image0

It's one thing to see a case play itseld out, but it's another to know beforehand the verdict. I'm not disputing that she's guilty: the court said as much. I just say that it is difficult to have an unfettered case when it gets so much publicity.

8. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 14 years ago

The case got huge coverage here in Europe too; that is why I think the court will have come to their decision based on the evidence very carefully. The eyes of the world were on them.
      She will appeal, but she has now been found guilty and that is it.
      There is NO anti-American sentiments being expressed by the Euroean media.
      My sympathies lie with the family of Meredith Kercher.

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

However the path to her demise, I wholeheartedly agree with you. No parents should ever have to bury their child; and to a senseless tragedy no less.

2. tony0724 profile image59
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Izzt on that one I have to agree . With the focus on Amanda Knox I think people forgot there was a victim here !

9. profile image0

Case closed! big_smile

10. fdoleac profile image60
      fdoleacposted 14 years ago

It will be interesting to see if the US population creates a backlash against Italy through social media.  It can be very powerful if there are significant numbers that think she was convicted unjustly.  Travel ban, cancel college years abroad, pressure on politicians.

1. Paraglider profile image88

I'm not clear if you are advocating such action, or just saying it will be 'interesting'?

2. egiv profile image60
        egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Over a single murder? If this same story had happened in the US she would've been behind bars for life months ago... now just because it's abroad, Americans think they are being done an unjustice.

What Americans? If she's guilty, she's guilty.

3. profile image0

And why on earth would they do that? I bet that Italy spends more money on American products then Americans spend on Italian products. Any travel ban or unfair tariffs or quotas placed upon trade with Italy for no reason whatsoever would be a disaster for America. Italy are a key member of the EU, could you afford to alienate the entire continent of Europe? France? Germany? UK? You owe money to those countries for a start. Any bans on Italian goods or services for something so petty and insignificant would 1) not happen as Obama isnt a twat like you, 2) would bankrupt your country and alientate your closest alloes if it did. It is the minority like you that make Americans look like the morons of the world.

I'll start by saying that I'll thank you for not making blanket comments like that about my country. Do you think anything productive will come from that kind of provocation?

Second, any 'trade war' with Italy would be felt very little if at all in the US economy. France, Germany, et. al. would not sacrifice their own economies for Italy if push came to shove.

Finally, calling someone a "twat" will only guarantee that this thread degenerates into nothing but personal bickering. You can do better.

11. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

you do the crime, you do the time..simply put and all criminals will eventually do their time by someones hands...you never will get away from the skeletons in your closet forever

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)