Is Atheism a Belief System?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (119 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

A question:

Is Atheism a belief system?
    Be it Zionism, Buddhism, Archaeology, Philosophy, etc., all share one commonality: each has a unique system. A system defined by certain principles, rules, boundaries, laws, limitations, definitions, regulations, abilities or beliefs which build into a system that explain its purpose, what it stands for, adheres to and believes.

I would like to know if there is such regarding Atheism and exactly what the framework and elements, aforementioned, entail.

1. spiderpam profile image74
      spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, It's the belief there is no God.

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But does that make it just a speculation or is it a belief.

Both it's speculative belief. smile

1. profile image0

Can you elaborate, please

I can try. I claim there is a God, because he exist to me from His creation all around me to my personal testimony.
              Atheist claim the absolute NO GOD. That's simply illogical, no one can know everything, but what we do know is we are here and there was a beginning.
              We never observed a self starting  anything so you must at least contemplate that there is something above our heads. An eternal, immaterial, personal, all knowing being. That’s why I’m a theist, but the amazing, unchanging, inerrant, Word of God and the undeniable historicity of Jesus Christ that why I’m a Christian. Faith is good, but it’s not enough. I hope that explains my point better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu-kJP3EAgo

Goodnight to you smile

1. profile image0

Rest well

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually for most atheists, that's not true.

Most atheists claim there is NO PROOF that a god or gods exist.  If you were to provide incontrovertible proof of the existence of a god to an atheist, he or she would accept that proof and change their view immediately.

Belief is trusting something to be true, even though you have no evidence that it exists. To do that, you must create a framework to justify your decision.

Atheists do not believe in something without evidence - they have an absence of belief, and they don't need a framework to justify it, apart from the simple logic of "I can't see any proof it exists, so I do not believe it".

2. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If denying is peremptory affirmation of an opposition to some idea, it remains peremptory affirmation anyway.
      And peremptory or dogmactic doctrine whatever it claims, will build a "logic" system, especially if the matter is taken care by proselites.
      This was just another peremptory affirmation...
      smile

1. profile image0

big_smile big_smile that was clever!
        but i'll have to ask my lawyer for that affirmation.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm begining to believe it is. They have a 'Faith' in the non-existence of God that is very similar to the opposing 'Faith' or belief in the existence of God held by christians. In my experience, they both site the same logic, just from opposite ends. "just look around, the proof is everywhere"

1. profile image0

A curiosity in itself.
        The question, actually one of many, would be: what is the fundamental basis, the core philosophy and the actual framework of it.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which leads me to the thought, if it is a belief system/religion then not having other opposing religious symbols displayed in government places (schools) could be deemed as supporting only Atheism. Therefore seperation of church and state laws would have to be amended. To whit: Having the religious symbols of Atheism, which are an abscence of references to an Almighty God, is unconstitutional as it violates the statues against the joining of religion and state... just a thought...

1. profile image0

Actually very true.

To add a thought: if Atheism is the 'opposing theist', would that make Atheism a faction of the theist belief system or a parallel system from the same root?

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Atheism is NOT a belief system. It is a religion.

Religion is a business. A business that is based on a specific code of ethics, bound to a higher cause.

5. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say it is a religion by definition. Though they argue it is not.
      They are very adamant about their beliefs and very intolerant of other religions. They are the strongest in thinking their way is right and putting other beliefs down. Only one other religion comes close to them in their denial of other belief systems

Thinking there is no God is a theory of Science, but not a proven one. Science has found some new things in relation to DNA and Stem Cells that have them puzzled. They are thinking more and more about Creationism

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course we are intolerant of your beliefs. 

I can only really speak for my self - but I hate liars.

Sorry.

6. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess if you define atheism in numerical terms such as the value of zero, there can be an understanding that nothing holds a place as does any other belief holds a value there after.

1. profile image0

Precisely! so then, what are those values? Binary or otherwise.

7. localbizcoach profile image59
      localbizcoachposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Atheism is just like any other religion only difference is its at the other end of spectrum...one end is people know God intimately as best friend have relationship with him and the other end is they totally reject God and make up another religion and figure out God according to what they choose to believe ...People either know truth or a twisted version of truth and God calls that evil ...word evil means twisted truth ...so more evil you are more you believe twisted truth..but when you know Gods absolute truth then your living way you were created to live in loving intimate relationship with one who created you...BUT again the opposite of that is believing all this twisted truth and living life seperated from God rejecting him..according to your choice...its real simple you either live life according to his truth or your living lie according to way you twist his truth...I wont even mention devil he got way too many believing he dont even exist and sad thing is the ones that actually believe that do NOT KNOW God many do have religion but no relationship...many say you cant see hear taste smell or touch God so that proves he dont exist that makes as much sense as saying you cant taste see hear touch or taste a mans brain and mind so doea that prove it does not exist ? Being a atheist is a system made up by devil himself he does not want Gods creation to know their creator so he gets them to believe his lies as truth and gives people whatever they want so they dont seek the one that created them...way too many people think cause they have things and good life they dont need God and thats lie devil has used since day 1 he got Adam and Eve to think they didnt NEED God they could do it on there own and look how much man has fallen from truth ...Just in last 50 years the statistics are mind boggling how bad things have got in every area of life since they removed God from school and marriage and family and govt and everything imaginable...when you follow your own truth twisted lies you reap what you sow...when you follow Gods absolute truth you always get victory over every circumstance...God gave us 10 commandments NOT to control us but to show us how much he loves us He knew if we did things our own way we would fail and destroy ourself so he gave us 10 commandments to show us we cant live without him...We live according to his absolute truths no matter what he can help us overcome but in our own strength we can only go so far...King Solomon was riches most powerful most wisest man who ever lived. He had EVERYTHING anyone would ever want and he said life is meaningless vain if you dont know God for him to say that shows how much devil has so many deceived into actually believing they can reject God and his truth and think they are really being what they were born to be..What has man gained if he has whole world but loses his soul....

8. thevoice profile image60
      thevoiceposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    9. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's a term created to provide credibility to theists claims and incorrectly designates "theism" to be the default state despite the wacky claims that are in stark contrast to reality.

10. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Without belief there will be no action but an atheist doesn't have a belief in god ,religion or spirituality.Finding god totally absurd.

1. Bovine Currency profile image60
        Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.rollitup.org/images/smilies/spew.gif

11. blackjava profile image60
      blackjavaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only so called organized religions have the structure you mention. Atheists don't believe in god. End of subject.

Unlike so called religious  groups, we have no need to run around jamming our beliefs down some ones throat.

Despite what so called religious people would have you believe, no one on this earth knows if there is a god or not. When you die you might find out. Then again you may not.

1. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Unlike so called religious  groups, we have no need to run around jamming our beliefs down some ones throat."

lol Many atheist's on this forum and site prove different.

2. aware profile image66
    awareposted 14 years ago

i say yes. but i aint saying im right

3. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

You are equating the social structures of organised religion with belief. However, many people follow a non-organised spiritual path, which includes a belief in something/someone that some would call deity. These people are not bound by communal rules, regulations, boundaries etc.

A spiritual outlook is not per se a belief "system", but it involves belief. In my opinion, the existence of deity cannot be proven or disproven by reasoning or science. Therefore, atheism also involves belief, but it certainly does not have its own belief "system".

Well said. I'm not an atheist, but I think you are right.

2. profile image0

Science (be it medicine, quantum, etc), Religion (be it Hindi, etc) all have a unique system, like an ecosystem. Even Anarchy has a definable belief system - a framework.

4. profile image0

hmm...

Cagsil: if it is a religion, as with all others, what is its core framework. As with a code of ethics -like that of corporate bylaws, ethics- can you describe those items...please.

Marisa: logic is a system build on thought, experience, ideals and i would even say, their counterparts. Philosophy, Science, etc. are based on logical considerations (even calculations, determinations) which add to the system or beliefs, no?

How would Atheism differ?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Atheism is just a name for an absence of belief.  Atheists are simply people who use logic to decide they don't require a belief system.  Logic is built on a system of rigorous thought processes.  Ideals are irrelevant.  There is no system of beliefs in science or philosophy - only a system of theories. Those are two totally different things.

Atheist's use faith as well as mostly everyone else does.

2. profile image0

So then, it is a belief then. Being the opposite of the Theist belief??

Yes, I know logic well. But logic is based not on just theory, though it includes theory. Theory is speculation - as I asked SpiderPam.
        I am not asking if it is an absolute. If it is an anti-belief, then it is a system. What are those anti-beliefs and how are they structured.

I think atheism is the logical search for evidence while religion is faith without need for evidence. I think both use logic and faith. Just a different balance and ideaology.

1. profile image0

right, i keep reading "logic", "faith", "evidence", etc.
            But what are those actual definitions, the actual code of ethics that define the -assumed- system of Atheism?

I don't think there are absolute definitions. I think they are just the definitions we created to describe belief and thought. I think that is the atheist code, the logical search for evidence and absolutes.

You keep referring to the system of atheism.  There isn't one.

Religions have a whole panoply of rules, holy texts etc.  Atheism has one statement.

"Until I receive proof there is a god or gods, I see no reason to believe in one"

The fact of being an atheist does not define anything else about that person's life, so there is no need for a system.  Atheists decide how to behave based on branches of science such as philosophy, ethics etc which are independent of religion or lack thereof.

1. profile image0

that states: Atheism's core foundation is the `need to receive proof of the existence of a god or gods`. Yes?
                Which then makes it an opposing belief to Theism.
                So would it be safe to state it is a system, even only having one core fundamental, where as Theism has many fundamentals?
                and if it in fact has no system, then what is its purpose or -as someone posted- its higher calling?

btw, thanks so far to e'one for the input.

Atheism has no higher calling.

If you believe in Santa, you have a whole system surrounding that belief - the North Pole, reindeer, gifts etc. If you don't believe in Santa, you don't need a system. He just doesn't figure in your life. Same with atheism.

You are twisting my words slightly. I didn't say atheists have a NEED to receive proof of the existence of a god or gods.  I said that IF someone came up with proof, then atheists would be willing to change their minds, because they are guided by logic.
                  But in the meantime, they don't give it a thought, except when debating about religion on places like HubPages!

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Actually, I cannot, because I am not an atheist. Sorry, you'll have to look for more from an atheist group, if one exists?

I am simply to relate Atheism to religion, because that's it's classification. Atheism is a registered and recognized Religion.

I am sorry I couldn't add more. smile

1. profile image0

no worries smile

Would like to find out as much as possible to help with my book. Have been a longtime student of quality. Attempting to supersede  with -dare I say- Purity.

That's very interesting - what countries is it registered in?

1. profile image0

?? huh ?? That wasn't my post.

1. Cagsil profile image70

No it wasn't. It came from mine. lol

1. profile image0

whew & grrr i am slow today big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image70

U.S.A. last time I checked, just like the Catholic Religion is also registered in the U.S.A. smile

6. profile image0

So, assuming that, where did Atheism begin?
    I know there is historical proof of the beginnings of various religions, etc as well as scientific, medical discoveries at various times. Is there a definitive origin of Atheism then?

7. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

You believers really are very very funny. Sad - but funny. Sorry you cannot see that atheism is absolutely the opposite of a belief system.

It certainly seems important that those who believe in a higher power justify their beliefs some more by saying atheism is the same as their beliefs. Does it bother you that people think your beliefs are irrational garbage? Would you feel better if atheists had an irrational belief system as well? Does it make you feel as good as knowing you will live forever in the loving embrace of the Lord? lol

100% total lack of proof - I believe
    100% total lack of proof - I do not believe

Same thing really. lol lol

Atheists have not used logic or come to a reasonable conclusion based on the (lack of) evidence. They are just as irrational as you guys. lol lol

"Just because there is absolutely no evidence for a god - that is not a logical reason for not believing." lol lol

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/atheism101.jpg

8. kess profile image60
    kessposted 14 years ago

Atheism is the religion which is bent of believing the impossibility of nothing.

By their ignorant efforts, they are actually serving the devil for he is indeed the father of every false belief.

Like I said - sorry you feel the need to attack others because they do not believe the garbage you believe. No doubt jesus would be proud of the ill will caused. Well done. wink

Sorry you do not understand science. It must be very, very frustrating for you. sad

9. Sa Toya profile image84
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Atheism is the belief there I no God...we know that

Does it have a system, framework of some sort...who knows.

It could be science based the framework/system I mean.

I don't beleive it is ignorance at all I think you'd find most atheists aren't ignorant they know of other beliefs/religions but choose not to beleive t.

Having no belief in something may not allow for a system...how do you have a framework for not believing...Like I said maybe it's science/logic based but then again logic can be used or believing

meh.... hmm

LOL

No = atheism is a lack belief in gods. Any god - not just your god. See - you are an atheist also - you just believe in one less god that I do. big_smile

I personally prefer to take it one step further and say - Your god does not exist.

Because that is fun listening to people argue that I cannot possibly say that seeing as I cannot prove it unequivocally. lol

1. Sa Toya profile image84
        Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

That's what I meant when I said God, I probs should have specified...all of them.

Ha I suppose one could say I was an atheist too if you put it that way. But I don't see why all gods can't exist?

Feel free to take it one step further cool

10. DogSiDaed profile image60
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

You could say ANYTHING was a belief if you tried hard enough. It just depends whether it's founded on anything. I consider myself an anti-theist. As such, I can't conclusively say there is no 'god' meaning a higher power, but I can reject the gods of religious scripture.

1. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But normally I say atheist because it's easier tongue

11. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

I say it is a religion by definition. Though they argue it is not.
    They are very adamant about their beliefs and very intolerant of other religions. They are the strongest in thinking their way is right and putting other beliefs down. Only one other religion comes close to them in their denial of other belief systems

Thinking there is no God is a theory of Science, but not a proven one. Science has found some new things in relation to DNA and Stem Cells that have them puzzled. They are thinking more and more about Creationism

I have found that most atheist, that I have spoken to, are those who have cried out to God at one point but didn't get what they felt they needed or have had a tragedy in their lives and blamed God for it. They then decided God did not exist.

LOL

It must really bother you that some people use rational thought and reasoning instead of blind belief and lies.

Sorry - you must be very, very angry and confused.

Perhaps if you attack an atheist it will make you feel better?

lol

Deary me. Did your husband give you permission to say that?

12. profile image0

so far, I want to thank everyone, again, for the input.
    It seems as though the item in question: that is the core fundamental, framework of Atheism is logic. So from a logical perspective one denies the existence of ANY Creator or Supreme Entity in any form, correct?
    If yes, what is that fundamental based upon (i.e. a logical equation, calculation).

One studies Medicine because it is logical to study such to become a pharmacist, doctor, yada yada.
    One studies Philosophy to logically understand the process of thought to discover a truth, yada, yada.

Does the same apply to Atheism AND what then would be an applicable study course. (removing religious and scientific stereotypes)?

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god. Usually based on 100% total and utter lack of evidence for one with a splash of common sense.

End of story.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image67
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So can someone still say that it is a way of believing, or in essence a belief system?  I am curious to know, that's all.

Only believers. They need to justify their belief system and will accuse atheists of having a belief system.

I guess they feel inadequate in the face of a rational decision and need to bring it down to their level of just believing for the sake of it with no evidence.

Because that is just stupid. wink

1. IntimatEvolution profile image67
            IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can see that.  Thanks Mark!  My sons are atheists.  My adopted son Eddie has always been, and now my son Zachary has also made that determination and is very passionate about it.  He is like you, really sick of people telling him his way of thinking is wrong.  We live in that bible belt you mention you visited, Missouri.  The whole religious realm has really spoiled him on Christmas.  He has never believed that it had anything to do with Christ, like I do- he also felt that Christmas was about the "spirit" of giving, sharing and receiving.  You know, he is a young man finding himself and trying to figure it all out.  However, I have to really watch imposing my own belief system on him.  He does not like that at all.  Good to chat with you.

Mpy pleasure.

Personally - I think this is a good portion of where the animosity between believers and non-believers comes from. I am trying to explain that I am in no way offended when people tell me they believe by faith alone.

The moment they try and rationalize it and bring me down to their level by saying my lack of belief is exactly the same as their belief - because I cannot 100% disprove it - we start to fight. I have made a rational decision based on the lack of evidence. They have made a "rational" decision based on nothing but faith. smile

I am beginning to think they do not actually believe. It is pretty far fetched after all.

13. profile image0

So, if one wanted to study Atheism, how would one go about it?
    I have a deeper reason for asking as it pertains to a study and a two part book I am working on.

And hopefully with no offense to anyone, if what everyone has expressed here is accurate, this would make Atheism is a branch or off shoot of Theism, because without Theism -the belief in a god- Atheism -the belief in no god- would not exist. Even still, one can study theism, chemistry, etc. Just wondering if there is a means to study this.

Sorry - what did you not understand about the previous statement?

There is nothing to "study" lol

But yes - you are half correct. If people did not keep telling me there is a god - I would not need to say I do not believe in one. I would just be me.

That is very well put.

Still trying to get the free lunch. lol

Still the town jester.

I really find it funny that you have as little of self-awareness to go on a thread I started, accuse me of being obsessed with Mark for having a disagreement with him, then come to this one and make """1""" previous comment on the thread only to agree with something he said. The free lunch is coming, keep kissing. How logical are you? You need self-awareness to be logical, something you clearly lack.

You are clueless.

Do you always worship others post's or just the ones you want to buy you lunch?

Worship?

14. profile image0

Since it is such a 'hot topic' too; would have made a nice passage in the book.

From all the info on this hub alone, it appears Atheism is simply an opposing view of something else: be it theism, evolution, science, philosophy, etc etc, with no actual basis or proof for its existence and no definable explanation for why it is. Seems only right to assume it is a religion, because religion is the exact same thing. Pointless rhetoric.

Thanks to all for partaking. On to the next portion of the argument: reality v necessity. Woohoo.

Have a great day everyone.

No - you are wrong. Clearly you have zero rationale for believing - so I see that you would need to delude yourself that everyone else makes a decision in the same way. But I hope you feel better in your ridiculous beliefs now.

Merry Christmas

1. profile image0

[i]
        my beliefs? this hub has nothing to do with my personal beliefs or lack thereof. It is simply a study of a thing -like studying atomic relationships, parallels of sexuality or any other thing.
        I sincerely appreciate your input as equally as any other.
        With no doubt, should this particular discussion continue, it would be diluted into a pointless argument of religions or lack there of.

ps, i celebrate Chanukah. so no thanks.[/]

IT is all about your personal beliefs.  You just don't understand that.

I take back the "Merry Christmas" then. Goodbye and may your irrational beliefs go with you. wink

1. profile image0

okay, now i AM going to be rude.
            You are an absolute contradiction to yourself!
            You cry that others are telling you how you should think and that your beliefs are wrong, yet you just did the same thing you accuse others of.
            That makes you a hypocrite and equal to the things you contradict even for the sake of contradiction itself.

No - I keep saying your beliefs are garbage. I have no beliefs. A-theism - remember? It is you who are unable to understand it is a lack of belief. No matter how many time you tell me it is a belief.

Which makes it all about your beliefs. You just cannot see that.

Mirror? That is me. wink

15. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

I post comments on whatever it is that comes up on the refreshed forums list that I find interesting or when idiots make snide remarks with no consideration of reality outside their own.

16. profile image0

In no place within this hub did i mention my beliefs, yet YOU expressly continue to comment on yours -which is the lack of any belief -as you put, god topic or not.

And how would you know what my beliefs are. Have you asked? No.
    Not only does it make you a hypocrite, which makes you either ignorant or pathetic, maybe even apathetic, who knows. I don't.
    what's more, is I don't care to know.

The need to know is simply a irrational parallel, like eating large quantities of chocolate and taking a sh!te after.

Mirror? perhaps a curtain. "The great and powerful Knowles has spoken", right? Here's my belief: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Enjovi!

Atheist's like all others make faithful assumptions, they won't tell you this though. They won't tell you they have faith in their belief because it hurts their superiority ego in thinking they are above, smarter, and more logical than believers. When the likely truth is, they use as much faith as anyone else.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

So - my visiting your profile and reading through your hubs and reading what you write here cannot give me an idea of what you believe? LOLOLOL

Happy Chanuka.

17. Bovine Currency profile image60

lol

Yes, typical of you, don't bother to think and prove anything false, just post a smiley. Protect the faith!

18. Bovine Currency profile image60

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QDD2WGSNL._SS500_.jpg

Next time you want to prove your superiority Marine, try reading this one beforehand lol

This is your belief book huh. lol

2. Bovine Currency profile image60

Logic, Starts with L.  Idiot, starts with I

Um, ok. You sure know your stuff. lol

19. BobLloyd profile image61
    BobLloydposted 14 years ago

If atheism is a belief system, then so presumably is disbelief in father christmas, or leprechauns, or fairies, or Zeus...

Atheism simply means not believing in deities, and for any rational person, disbelief in the absence of evidence is exactly the way we negotiate the world.  We don't go around believing in everything until it's proved wrong.  If we did that, we'd probably die fairly quickly, get ripped off everywhere we went, make so many mistakes about things that we'd get hurt, and pretty soon distrust everyone and everything.

We start from a skeptical point of view because it's the way we learn about the world with the minimum harm to ourselves.  We figure out how things work and then test it to see if we are right.  Being credulous and gullible doesn't work very well and can't lead to learning.

So atheism isn't a belief system any more than a-leprechaunism is a belief system.  It's a mistake many religious people make to think that there is some coherent world-view called atheism.  There isn't.  There's just the following of the default way people learn, by using rational thinking and a skeptical position with respect to acquiring knowledge.

No big deal, no world view, no belief system, just thinking rationally.  It's what you all do anyway when you're not thinking about religion.

1. Sa Toya profile image84
      Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tanks for that...much better than the ranty arguments we get on threads like this.

You have made me see things differently- I suppose you are right religion or God side we are essentially atheists on other matters. Well until it is proven of existence anyways

2. profile image0

Interesting Bob.
      This is what I am trying to find out.
      Myself, being extremely rational/logical, there is, in essence a 'method' to my madness -that is reasoning, thinking.
      In short, all human thinking is a system and one system is build upon another or its upon self.
      systems make up genetics, rocks, constellations, the ecosystem, etc etc.
      So, my question was, does atheism have such a parallel as other systems do and what are the building blocks of it.
      If it is a pure ideology, then it must have a system. Even if it is or is not based on theism. Make sense?

20. Bovine Currency profile image60

http://www.sermonsfromseattle.com/images/abraham_03.jpg

Logical?

21. Bovine Currency profile image60

Sweetheart, I appreciate you are trying to be funny but its not working.  I was merely suggesting that if you want to use five letter words, it might help if you understood the meaning.

How do you understand something you don't understand how to use. Logical statements use evidence to back your statement, not faithful assumptions you are so good at using.

That is quite possibly the worst case of grammar I have seen for a very long time.

lol Predictable.

Is that supposed to insult me?

Should I be a little more spontaneous in my belief systems?

Sorry if my integrity bothers you.

lol

You claim integrity?

lol

Do you claim self-awareness too? You are already spontaneous, you believe what ever makes you feel the best. Thats how your faith works. lol

22. atil profile image62
    atilposted 14 years ago

Isn't it a Disbelief system?

23. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago
  24. Bovine Currency profile image60

I believe you, OK?  Feel better?

You are impossible to reason with.  You know me better than I know myself, fine.  Get over it.

You believe me on what? Feel better? I felt good to start with, you agreeing or disagreeing with me has nothing to do with my feelings. If you were logical, you may understand that. Oops, almost forgot, you thought emotions are involved in logic and even agreed against me with your buddy Mark that I was trying to redefine words when I was simply pointing to what it left out. I don't know you at all, you won't be honest or admit to faults or mistakes because it hurts your pride. You are difficult to reason with because you are too busy making faithful assumptions and cheering on your idols. I am more logical, you are faithful, which is harder to reason with? Keep the faith!

25. Bovine Currency profile image60

Marine, if you think you know me so well, why not read a few of my hubs and attempt some constructive criticism.  I am tired of playing for now.  Till next time chump lol

What does reading your hubs do when you can't presently have a logical conversation? How would you accept criticism when you are so arrogant and prideful in your beliefs? Pride doesn't like criticism.

26. BobLloyd profile image61
    BobLloydposted 14 years ago

By the way, theism isn't a belief system either.  It's simply the belief in a deity.  Specific religions might try to systematise their faith but they are all hopelessly chaotic, in fact chaotic enough to keep theologians in business for centuries.

To me a belief system ought to show some coherence and yet religious source books such as the Bible, Qur'an and the Talmud, are riddled with contradictory moral messages imploring people to love and honour, alongside committing acts of genocide, maiming, and killing.  The gods are presented as violent and hostile, jealous and vengeful, yet loving and merciful.  Consequently, the moral messages obtainable are pretty much anything you want, which explains why they can be used to justify almost any actions.

Such a "system" is stretching the interpretation of the word to its limits.

27. dfunzy profile image60
    dfunzyposted 14 years ago

No.

28. profile image0

Seems very odd that atheists posting continue to inject religion. I am assuming it is becuase I mentioned a few religious organizations in the original question. However, seems they have bypassed the others mentioned like: Medicine, Science, Archaeology, etc.

I am now wondering if any Atheist can explain if there is or is not a system to their logic | beliefs, without mentioning or injecting, even remotely, a religion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)