How did you tell your kids santas not real?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (22 posts)
  1. dogluver1 profile image58
    dogluver1posted 14 years ago

I do not believe in santa claus. How did you tell your kids hes not real?

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My daughter figured it out on her own. My son was still young and we were having financial problems, christmas wasn't going to be a good christmas that year, so instead of risking that my son think he had been bad or that the poor christmas was his fault I sat him down and told him...
      "Son we need to have a talk, about Santa... I know you think Santa is a person, and in a way that concept is true... But Santa is actually a bunch of people, Mommies and Daddies. As a concept Santa is real, but as an Individual he isn't." and then I explained why I was telling him this and about the 'poor' christmas that was coming...

2. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We didn't. When he knew what was going on we said the spirit of Santa Claus was giving and sharing.smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

My parents didn't tell me Santa wasn't real, I figured it out myself.

dogluver1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh

2. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, same here. i figured it out too once a friend at school told me that they saw his dad sneaking presents under the tree marked, saying from santa.

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Same with my kids. They always figure it out when they reach a certain age.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I think most comes from other kids and older brothers and sisters.

yeah

5. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

I figured it out all by myself I found Santa to be kind of a scary character.

I have written a hub about lying to your kids about santa.

Yeah it is like just a big lie on christmas you are celebrating jesus's birth not spoiled brats getting presents you know?

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Parents never need to do that. Someone always does it for them or they are just smart enough or old enough to find out for themselves, then they tell the younger ones. LOL spoil sport brats!

Yeah you guys are basically on the same track

7. moanalisa profile image61
    moanalisaposted 14 years ago

I would never want to be the one to pop that bubble of belief. My kids figured it out on their own and appreciated more that I wanted to hold onto Santa whether they believed or not.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

My kids really believed, maybe cos I am the best liar in the world, until the 7 year old spoilt brat son told them otherwise.
    I tried pulling the mother up, but she just shrugged and said 'so what?'
    the 'so what' is,that it is the most magical time in a child's life, believing in Santa, and yes it will have passed by the time your child is ten or so, but under that they all want to believe in it.
    It doesn't mean a stupid time of paying over the odds for things either.
    The shops were sold out? Santa-speak for 'another poor child needed it more than you".
    I used that one before. It works.
    And it's up to the parent to remind the child that they can't ask for everything, because if Santa gave them 'everything' they wanted, that poor child with only one leg in the orphanage would have to do without.
    OK so it's all BS, but yur child doesn't know that. Children want to believe. I want to believe to:)

Yeah I mean its not right what that mother said. So what its like he wants to believe dont spoil it its nice while it last

9. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I wrote a childs story for a neighbor kid, now several of them think I am an elf that used to work for Santa. It's been four years now and they still believe. The older ones now know the truth but keep it alive. LOL Wot fun!

10. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I never told my daughter, she just figured it out on her own, and I think all kids should be allowed the same respect...why ruin a small childs fantasy and joy of a Christmas Eve or Christmas day..

This year, I took 2 presents over to my closet friend's home, he got to have his son on Christmas Eve and day..On Christmas eve I showed up around 8:30..he had just gotten his bath ( RJ is 3 now ) and he wanted to show me the toys "papa" got him before santa came, so I watched him play and told him this story, of why I had 2 presents, one in a big red box for him and one in a pretty bag for daddy and daddy's girlfriend..I said santa had his sleigh packed full because of all the kids in the world, so he acidently could not figure out how to get the last bag in and took off without remembering it. So the elves showed up at my house, only santa knows whee each kid is, and the elves got confused ( RJ thinks I am aunt Kerry and my kids dad is Uncle" , any I said I got a knock on my door and the poor elves were real cold and had a huge sack that it took 10 of them to carry, they asked if RJ was here or if I could give them directions. I said no, how about I help and just take the 2 presents that got left by accident to RJ's dad's house so they could work on getting the others to the right houses..

he believed me, then I told him the elves said to remind RJ, if he was up when I got there ( he lives 1/4 mile away ) that he would have to be in bed or santa would skip the house, do some deliveries and come back to his house later wghen he knew RJ was sleeping, RJ then put the toys by the tree, took me in his room to show me his new work bench and had me tuck him in, with his daddy so santa would come. I then stayed for about 20 minutes till he was sound asleep and enjoyed some time with my friend and his girlfriend who was staying the night.

I couldnt let him see me bring in presents, he knows sometimes people get him extra things before santa comes, like his "papa", but why ruin it all..so that was my story and I will use it next year if his dad has him for christmas!.. oh I forgot..I told him the elves also said he couldnt open the red box till morning and neither could dad and his girlfriend..you should of seen the excitement on his face.. ( after he was asleep I told my friend to open the present and enjoy what was all packed in it with his girlfriend...

11. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

I never told them that he was real

12. freelanceauthor profile image62
    freelanceauthorposted 14 years ago

My kid asked me if Santa is real or not?

My answer:
    Santa gives gifts to those who beleive in him; the moment you stop beleiving in Santa, the gifts that you recieve under the Christmas tree on Christmas day shall also stop.

Until now, she still believes in Santa at the age of 10

13. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

My husband and I told them about Santa, for them to "be good". They tried to figure out who he really was as they grew up, and discovered it was a hoax one Christmas eve. Their Dad was a bit careless then, as he sneaked in to lay down his gifts by the Christmas tree.

14. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

there's no Santa?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)