obama interrupts regularly scheduled programming...

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (25 posts)
  1. blue dog profile image62
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

while insisting on accountability at every level, obama appears to be in early stages of escalating the christmas day bomber incident.  is yemen the next target?  should saudi arabia be concerned?

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

DHS is the next target. Here is a quote from the President:

"It's becoming clear that the system that's been in place for years now is not sufficiently up to date to take full advantage of the information we collect and the knowledge we have,"

"We need to learn from this episode and act quickly to fix the flaws in our system because our security is at stake and lives are at stake,"

1. Lily Rose profile image85
        Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The problem with DHS is that it was created because the INS was defunked (Sp?) and needed to be disbanned, yet the powers that be took all the idiot INS managers/supervisors and actually put them in charge of DHS - HELLO?!

1. profile image57

DHS will be a target of convience. Read those quotes carefully. Look closely at what he said. 

"It's becoming clear that the system that's been in place for years now is not sufficiently up to date to take full advantage of the information we collect and the knowledge we have,"

pay special attention to "the system that's been in place for years now" part. He's creating separation....in other words he's saying "Hey, the system failed, but its not my system". Next he will say "I'm going to fix the system". Anytime a politician says that, "I'm going to fix "XXXX"" I shudder!LOL

1. livewithrichard profile image73
            livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the keywords are "to take full advantage of" it sets up his intent to expand DHS, possibly with his 1 million strong Civilian National Security Force.

2. sooner than later profile image61
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What would Bush do? thats what he is asking himself right now.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe, but choking on pretzels and saying "nucular" won't help in this situation.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

And then he will do the right thing smile

3. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Huh, I thought all the "Terrorists" were eating crickets in some cave in Afghanistan.

If "we" learn anything from this it's that trying to cram your own belief system down the throats of others just makes them Angry and no matter how much money you spend you will NEVER prevent acts of cowardice in the name of God.

So who are we really fighting?  And the better question is what is the real alternative to fighting?

blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

with the largest share of known easily accessible oil reserves located in saudi arabia, it stands to reason that the world's largest consumer of oil has it's eye on the prize.  the real question being what incident will spark the need to justify acquisition of the prize.

the christmas day bomber incident seems to be morphing into so much more than what was originally reported.  tonite's news coverage over obama's speech today should be titillating.

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What belief system are the Americans trying to cram down anybodies throat?  The whole thing is about oil.  It always has been and always will be.  If Iraq and Afghanistan and whoever convert to democracy, who is that serving?  America wants puppet democracies that they place leaders in charge of.  That way the power is identified and the oil flows.

1. profile image57

I think Mike was just stating the idea that Western governments have tried to set up puppet governments, non theocracies through out the middle east to give them easier access to oil. I think you two were kinda saying the same thing. I agree with you both.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Blue, I haven't been keeping up with it. Are saying that the POTUS is overreacting?

i don't know anything about it, other than what's reported.

we (u.s.) are increasing our presence in yemen with special ops forces and cia field ops.  additionally, yemen will receive at least $70 million in u.s. aid during the next 18 months.  to train yemeni security in the art of counterterrorism. 

based on the map, and saudi oil reserves, something's brewing.  enjoy 2.50/gallon gas while we can.

5. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

I think our president will admit to being a terrorist 1 day b4 his terms end.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

brilliant

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Thanks, blue.

7. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

A conversation is when people disagree, but still talk.

Alot of it is about conversation. To communicate, accept differences and live and let live.

I dont know much about yemen, or the xmas day bombing, but I wish all parties well in resolving the conflict. The more conflict, the greater the emotional wounds to heal between countries and beliefs ((()))

unfortunately, the american gov't no longer seems to be in the business of resolving conflict.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The American Government has never been in the business of resolving conflict. It's in the business of pursuing American interests.

Listen to what politicians actually say. Most of them don't lie too much. 'American interests' is a phrase you will hear a lot.

If you lived in the UK you would hear UK interests, in France, French interests etc, etc.

8. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

The bomber went to my old college in London. Well, I studied a few courses there. They have the preserved body of Jeremy Bentham, stuffed with straw in the main building.

Jeremy Bentham more than any other person is responsible for the whole business of globalization. And globalization is the reason, more than any other, that we have Al Quaada.

Strange, he didn't blow up Jeremy Bentham.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't utilitarian enough

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're right, Bentham's desiccated  body spattered around Senate House would not make prime time in the US.

9. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Maybe just maybe if Janet Napolitano had her priorities straight this incident could have been avoided.  Why would she have DHS watching for disgruntled veterans returning from war, Ron Paul supporters and those that dare to mention the constitution in forums such as these as potential domestic terrorists. Instead of those that are known to have hatred for the country and a wish to destroy it. This Christmas bomber was known as "The Nigerian" by the CIA.  He paid cash for a one way ticket to the US.  His own father informed authorities on him.  He was on the watch list  500,000 others are also on this list but how many of these people fly  in a day?  American Express monitors 60 million credit card accounts and locates fraud within seconds.  Give me a break.  Ms Napolitano we are awaiting your resignation!!

10. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Screw the oil! We want more goat and camel fajitas!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)