It was the best of hubbing. It was the worst of hubbing.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

What are your best hubbing and worst hubbing experiences?

Alright, I have two bests...
    1. Best: Meeting some really good people and becoming friends with them.
    2. Best: Seeing my lottery hub get up to 96 so far (95 right now) and with just over 1000 page views.

And to balance it, here are two worsts...
    1. Worst: Someone (no names) spamming my hubs and having to remove the spam myself.
    2. Worst: Eh... I don't really have a second worst yet.

ProCW

smile smile smile smile smile smile

Happy Hubbing!

2. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

Jonno & Maddie made my day by checking out my first radio / internet interview.
    Here it is.  BEST HUB MOMENT FOR ME!   

http://www.importshowoff.ca/wordpress/?p=176#comments

DJ Funktual, the mastermind behind the uber popular Top 10 Samples In History videos has taken the time to do an interview with the Import Showoff. In these 10 minute videos Funktual counts down samples used by current and past hip-hop, rnb & rap artists. Obscure samples taken from 60’s funk, rare tracks and other sources that we might not have known about are revealed. If you thought you knew hip-hop, you’re in for a huge treat. There are currently 10 videos and should not be passed up by an fan of hip-hop. Funktual’s knowledge of soul, funk, r&b is unrivaled.

1) What inspired you to create the videos and upload them to youtube?

Well, I’ve been writing for Hubpages.com for about two months but found that there wasn’t much of a Hip-Hop audience among the other writers there. The videos were an opportunity to connect with the real Hip-Hop fans, get their opinion on stuff. I’m also an actor as well as a DJ so the idea of having an interactive audience was appealing as well.

2) Did you expect the videos to be such a hit on the internet?

Are they a hit? I’m just enjoying the feedback but I have no idea how much of a hit they really are. I do enjoy that people don’t think they suck, how bout that? I should really just wear a sticker on my chest that says, “I work here until Hollywood / MTV discovers me” because my only real motivation is to get a job that I really love as opposed to doing Bar Mitvahs / Weddings until I’m 40.

3) How do you decide which songs go onto a 10 minute video?

Well, first of all the song has to be relatively well known by the Hip-Hop community and the original sample has to be a song that will stand up on it’s own. I usually pick 5 songs that I can explain in 30 seconds or less, so that I can have fun with the ones I am passionate about and dance that awful dance I do. The hardest thing has been trying to space out the truly remarkable ones over the whole series. Saving the good samples, if you will.

4) Being a DJ, your collection of records must be massive. What’s your collection like? Any prized record? Most valuable?

I was a 45 King in my day (1200 or so). I didn’t have enough $$ to buy whole albums so I got every single I could afford / steal. My Beatles 45s on Swan Records are okay in terms of value but the ones I treasure are the songs I enjoyed in my youth. My (Newcleus - Jam On It) 45 is one of my favs along with APB’s amazing unsung album of the 80s - “Something to Believe In”.

5) What’s your opinion of .mp3s and how it’s changing the way DJ’s do there job.

I f***in hate mp3s with a passion BUT you can certainly attain more music, more quickly this way. I just hate the whole Laptop DJ scene. It’s so weak and predictable. These guys have a 500 GB hard drive but they only use the same two or three folders at every gig. BitTorrent technology is hard to mess with though. Genius.

6) Your knowledge of the past is remarkable. Have you ever found a sample that was used that blew your mind?

The ones that blow your mind are the ones right under your nose that you didn’t see coming. Method of Modern Love by Hall & Oates being the way METHOD MAN got his name is too weird, ya know. I just enjoy funk music and I feel like so many more people would enjoy it too IF THEY COULD SEE HOW TO ENJOY IT. I mean that. Some people don’t recognize that a certain kind of music is good until they are surrounded by people who are grooving to it.

7) You’ve been a fan of soul, rnb & hip-hop for over 30 years. Do you have any favourite artists growing up? How about current artists?

Sly & The Family Stone before all others because they were the most creative, most funky AND the most motivated diring a radical period of time. They embraced change in a peaceful way. My other heroes musically include..

1) Cee-Lo Green the Soul Machine a/k/a the future of music as we know it.
    2) Mike Doughty is brilliant, formerly of alternative band Soul Coughing
    3) Prince is a creative force the likes of which we will never see again. Not in a million years will we find one guy who can write, sing, play guitar, dance and be his uniquely sexy self. NEVER.
    4) Rakim has the greatest flow but
    5) The Pharcyde are the most fun Hip-Hop group ever.
    6) Curtis Mayfield - need I explian?
    7) The Ramones - Joey vs. Johnny has all the drama of a real movie on the documentary END OF THE CENTURY.
    OutKast - the greatest group / artist in Hip-Hop history!
    9) Jeff Buckley - not the kind of music I’d normally embrace but the guy a voice that could make you ache and even cry.
    10) Sublime - The funkiest white boy who ever lived, Bradley Nowell

CURRENT ARTISTS who have a song I can stand are….
    M.I.A. - Paper Planes is off the hook! She is the future!!!
    Kush - Lil’ Wayne ~~ Fast Car - Wyclef & Paul Simon ~~

Gnarls Barkley & Lupe Fiasco are the only artists who I enjoy every song by these days. Nas is still great too.

Special Shout Out to MY LIFE’S HERO:
    George Carlin RIP, you crazy bastard!

Sampling? Good or bad for hip-hop.

Necessary. If it isn’t rooted in the past, it’s not real Hip-Hop. Drum machines can suck my d***.

9) For all the gear heads, what equipment and software to produce your videos.

Sorry to disappoint but I am clueless in that regard. I use my wife’s Digital camera in movie mode.  Dassit!

10) Hip-hop is no longer 808 drum kits and high hats. Artifial voice changers and electronic sounds are constantly being manipulated. What’s your take on the current hip-hop sound. Also what does the future hold for hip-hop.

The future lies in the blending of Hip-Hop / Rock / Funk / Soul / Reggae into one sonic movement but it won’t work unless it is done by talented people as opposed to the ones that currently function at record labels / radio stations. The biggest bridge we need to gap is the one between the artists being sampled asking too much $$ and the modern artists being too cheap to put good samples into their music because they want exclusive royalty checks.

T-Pain is the biggest argument for what is wrong and right about Hip-Hop, he brought something fresh and in the course of two years has been so overexposed that he has become the cliche as well. He’s the new Nate Dogg except that Nate could sing AND he always brought the FUNK wit em. T-Pain is Pop Music. Period.

Thank you for your time and out your head I climb. Peace.

My worst moment ?  Drunken pointed comments i can't delete.  Other than that,  I love it all.

3. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

Best

1.  The people!!!
    2.  Getting over 150 comments on my Beatles hub.

Worst

1.  The dissention that I keep hearing about.

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 15 years ago

Bests: 
    - getting to visit the HubPages office
    - anticipating hitting my actual 2 year anniversary on July 31, 2008

Worsts:
    - seeing authors who've stolen their content from Wikipedia get complimented for making a great Hub (sadly, a near-daily occurrence)

1. DJ Funktual profile image76
      DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to deviate from the subject but I need clarification from Rae or whoever about this Wikipedia thing.   i did not feel like she was picking on me specifically or any other drama like that.   But her comment had me thinking most of the morning so I figured I'd appeal to the Hub wisdom of others.

I openly admit that I use the movie quotes and cast lists from Wiki all the time.

Is this really bad to do? 

I just figured there's one line to the movie and I can't change that and there's only one cast and since I leave the cast members links back to (Wiki or in some cases IMDb the movie database site) what's the harm other than a lower hubscore?  I'm giving them credit and I don't have to re-type anything for no reason.   

You can be honest I learn a lot of things the hard way.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

DJ, I take a look at the profiles and hubs of every single person who signs up to be my fan.  If the person is new to the site and has only a few dozen hubs, there's a good chance I'll look at all of them.  Sadly, this most often results in a lot of Hub flagging, thumb's down and not too much reciprocal fan-clubbing.  What I'm talking about are ENTIRE articles from Wikipedia copied here, inevitably commented upon by a bunch of people saying what a great hub the plagiarist has produced and telling them they can't wait to read their next one. 

Someone who cranks out multiple hubs per hour is one of the biggest giveaways to plagiarism and I can't believe the number of authors on this site who haven't caught on to that fact yet.

1. DJ Funktual profile image76
          DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yeah, like I said, I didn't think you were referring to me at all.  Just curious about cut and paste etiquette.   I'll check FAQ.

2. terenceyap07 profile image60
        terenceyap07posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nothing wrong with how you use wiki, my friend. I believe she's referring to other people. You still rock in my books!

5. GK16 profile image60
    GK16posted 15 years ago

smile lol  sad  yikes

1. ProCW profile image79
      ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Now how is that the best and worst of your experiences at HubPages? smile

ProCW

1. GK16 profile image60
        GK16posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think it's time for a small clarification.

The best: I am really enjoying myself here. It is fun to use smilies big_smile

Worst: having to make a clarification here wink

1. ProCW profile image79

smile that was good... smile
          sad i'm sad though that because of me you've now had a worst experience... sad
          big_smile i'll get over it.. big_smile

ProCW

6. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

It's all good. smile

The only bad experiences I have had are self-inflicted when I made some mistakes early on like the dreaded trailing hyphen on a few hubs sad

http://hubpages.com/hub/Smoked-Trout-Creams-

1. terenceyap07 profile image60

And you rock too, Mark! And that photograph of Chicken Liver Pate... (drool)... heavenly.

7. SunyFB profile image60
    SunyFBposted 15 years ago

Isn't the hub that is copied rated far lower than one that is with original content?

I think I'm too new to have a best and worst yet!

1. ProCW profile image79

It seems like someone told me that the hub lowers to 30 something if it's copied content. One of my hubs was flagged for duplicate content however and it was totally original. It sat at 30 something for a while before hubpages decided that it was original. Now every time I view the hub, I have to see "CERTIFIED ORIGINAL: This Hub has been granted an exception to the HubPages duplicate content penalty" in RED. I've done nothing wrong, but yet still got the "red pen" like I'm in school or something... never really got those types of marks in school though. Even a blue mark, would just make me feel better... haha.

ProCW

PS. Hubpages... can you get rid of that message on the top of my zip code hub, please? It really is annoying. I'm glad that you've decided that it's original, but I knew that all along. Can't you put the red mark on the top of the person's page that flagged it as duplicate? smile

Hmmm... maybe this should be my second worst experience. (Forgot about it until you brought that up.)

8. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Thanks Terence - but that is smoked Trout Pate  - No wonder I can't get any traffic to that one  sad

ProCW - that is an automatic flag - not because some one flagged you. I have them on several of mine because I am not in the US and that messes with th system or something big_smile

1. ProCW profile image79

That stinks! I'm in the US... smile Maybe they could tinker with the system and at least change the color. Red just seems negative to me. Maybe it's just my mindset though... I dunno.

ProCW

1. terenceyap07 profile image60

Hey there ProCW. I'm calling it a night. It's 4.00 am here in Singapore. Hope to chat with you again soon, my friend!

1. ProCW profile image79

See you soon Terence. Have a good night.

Here's a little rhyme for you to go to bed with...

When you lay your head to sleep,
          Imagine there are one hundred sheep.
          Count them down, one by one.
          Before you know it, there's the sun!

ProCW

9. dishyum profile image57
    dishyumposted 15 years ago

Best - Forums, especially the immediate help, suggestions offered here smile

Worst - Spammers in hub comments sad

1. ProCW profile image79

smile I like the forums too!

sad on spam!

10. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Best: the comments & messages my hub "The Filipinos - the World's Finest" attracted.

Worst: still waiting . . .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)