Do you believe in belief? power of positive thinking?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (50 posts)
  1. nikki1 profile image61
    nikki1posted 14 years ago

Having faith?

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

the power of posiitve thinking, yes, absolutely!

nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

;D

2. sooner than later profile image61
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

especially in survival situations.

3. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

see, the way i figure it, people can talk themselves into some pretty bad places, thought-wise. and if they can talk themselves into feeling really bad, they should be able to talk themselves into feeling really good.

?

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i just mean we can learn how to filter out thoughts that make us feel bad and focus on positive things. i started doing that from a very young age. for example, we were really poor and my dad was an alcoholic and my mother beat me but i would see pictures of little kids in places like Ethiopia, with flies crawling all over them, living in grass huts on a mound of dirt, and their parents were dead and thought 'hey, i have it pretty good!' neutral

it's not about living in denial, which is detrimental to your growth. it's just refusing to let negative thought processes drag you down.

4. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

It's all about perception.  You see what you what you expect to see.

5. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I'm thinking this is a positive thread.

6. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

"Attitude is everything" is a real thing, not just a thought. The power of suggestion is, too. I believe the mind can heal the body, and one can think themselves well. I did it when they gave me six months to live, I never believed I was dying. I may be different from most, tho....

7. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Reality for an individual is what their mind perceives to be true so yes the power of positive thinking would change the way you interact with your surroundings.

1. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Despite reality?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are dreams real?  Are hopes real?  Does love exist?  Can you define them?

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dreams are real, because dreams are your sub-conscious relying information to your consciousness and conscience.

Hopes are real, but are emotions.

Does Love exist? Only to a conscious human being. Love is a human emotion and a word, to describe an emotional connection. It is defined by those who feel it.

Reality is defined as well. Reality exists outside of and freely of independent thoughts, desires, will, or wishes. Reality is all knowable.

That statement doesn't interpreted that humanity knows all there is to know. It only means that everything we do know is knowable and factual. Anything that supposedly lives outside of reality is a lie or a myth, because it's presently beyond being defined.

Hope that helped. smile

Cagsil I am satisfied with your response it makes sense to me.

I am glad to hear that. smile

2. Cagsil profile image70

Reality isn't defined by what people think. smile

8. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

what is reality, if not what you see through your eyes,what you think with your mind ,what you touch with your hands ?

1. profile image54

One might suspect that, but the fact is that most physical theories and laws that govern our universe are counter-intuitive to what we see and think, etc.

Relativity is a perfect example. When one begins to understand Relativity, they understand that much of what they thought of how things work is entirely wrong.

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really ?
        And what if what you think to be 'Relativity' is  so relative , that you can't understand its relativity ?
        What would that be ? I think Reality is what I've stated.

1. profile image54

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Yes, reality is what is governed by relativity as well as a number of other theories and laws. These laws and theories are counter-intuitive to how we would expect our world to work. We find through these laws that the world works differently than our expectations.

Look, in the end  ,we all are going to be dead.
            that's 'Reality'
            Relativity, I can't care less. It's not going to change the fact of death. Nor had it changed it in the past.
            Life goes on and I enjoy it, with my eyes, my mind, and my body.

1. profile image54

True, Relativity may or may not have anything to do with our lives or deaths, but it's interesting to understand how those things work in our universe as it allows us to gain a much better understanding of ourselves.

I don't know how 'Relativity ' can help understand myself more.
                I understand myself, without the aid of 'Relativity'

and if you're talking about humanity, well, everybody's going to die, whether 'Relativity' or not.
                And as I said before, I think Relativity is so Relative that it's not worth the trouble to think about it.

1. profile image54

I meant us in general as a species living on a planet. Of course, that then leads to a better understanding of ourselves individually.

I get that, but I would, and so would many others, like to understand how the universe works and how it affects us.

No worries, then. smile

2. Jerami profile image59
                Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And after you understand it; what are you going to do with all of that understanding????

1. profile image54

Put it to practical use, of course, so you can have things like medicine, internet connections, computers and everything else that warrants giving up cave dwelling.

1. Jerami profile image59
                    Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I apreciate all of that.  but when are you going to get to taking care of the hungry children.  I'll do without my computer and TV if you can hurry up a bit with the hungry children.

9. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

POSITIVE Kicks Butt Over Negative! IMHO

http://realclearfit.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/bruce_lee.jpg

10. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

I believe in the power of positive thinking and self belief.
    I find when I'm my harshest critic...which is often a jolt of positivity from within myself is a guaranteed way out/through...for me anyway

11. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

Positive thinking and faith aren't the same thing.

Why is that?

12. RKHenry profile image65
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

The power of positive thinking can make the unimaginable happen.

Positive thinking is useless unless it is reinforced by positive action. big_smile

I find a lot of things are different depending on the way my mind is thinking at the time.  Negative feelings look at things as obstacles.  Positive thinking sees the same things as opportunities.

Obstacles require action to overcome. Opportunities require action to be taken so an advantage can be received.  Either way you slice it, action is required. big_smile

Thought does precede action. The action an individual takes depends on the state of their mind at the time the decision to act is taken.

13. DogSiDaed profile image61
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

Do you believe in belief?

Well as I understand the question, the answer MUST be yes.

14. Light and Love profile image60
    Light and Loveposted 14 years ago

All of this isn't helping starving children anywhere or any other of the growing problems being faced in the world.  Griping about what's wrong in the world has never improved it in any way.  The only way to improve the world we live in is to change ourselves.  We are the only ones we can change.  We can choose to help others, gripe about them, argue with them, or whatever, but in the end the only thing we can do is change ourselves.  We have always been able to choose to do whatever we can for those who need us.  When we all understand this,... then, and only then, will we be of some service to the problems of the world. 

What I see is that this is only adding negativity to what we all already know are problems in our world.  It's not helpful in fixing those problems to argue about who's right.  We can either choose to be right, or we can choose to be at peace.  I choose to be at peace, what about you?

1. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some people aren't in a situation where they can choose peace. I don't know exactly what you mean by peace however, if you mean it in the introverted sense, no way! tongue I want to get out in the world, have a good time, while at the same time doing my best to help those that need me smile

1. Light and Love profile image60
        Light and Loveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No matter what the situation we are in we can ALWAYS choose to react to it or not to.  Peace is something you feel within yourself.  If we do not agree with one another, that is fine.  We are all equipt with a mind, so we are bound to all see things in our own way. Right?  When we are completely fine with what we believe, we don't want to make others feel bad about believing in whatever they wish to believe in.  Why should we all believe the same thing anyway!?  The peace comes in by not expecting others to bend to our thinking.  Why should they have to believe what we do?  We wouldn't allow anyone to tell us that our way of thinking is wrong, so why would anyone else be happy about it?  It's simple really.  I don't care what others think of me or my opinion.  I love everyone and everything, and I believe that there is a piece of God within each one of us.  That's one way it can be explained, but others may call it a soul, or whatever.  I don't really care what it's called.  I just believe that each and every one of us is connected in that we hold within us a portion of the same whole.  When our bodies die, we return that portion within us to the whole and reflect on what we gained.  Then, if we choose we send ourselves back to see what else we can gain we do, and if not we find infinite other opportunities.

I certainly feel the freedom to live my life fully without any fears and I would hope we all can feel that freedom, as we all deserve it.  And what you want is the same as what we all want.  Rest assured of that! smile

2. nikki1 profile image61

When it comes to peace we all want the same thing. We all want respect for each other. Peace in our heart, confidence that we can make a positive difference in this world. Never giving up. Possibly getting involved with your local food banks can help starving children. Local churches is a good place to start with helping your local communities. Churches can also teach bonding, peace,.  Respecting/positive thinking/and faith from within kind of goes hand in hand, in my opinion.
      Frinz4lif ;D

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)